Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Restaurant Thread

edited August 2011 in Not Sports Related

Going to Axis @ One Aldwych tonight in London with the missus.

Anyone been before? any recommendations?

Love a nice restaurant and i know we got a few people that like their grub on here, so thought may aswell start a thread.

Comments

• This thread wont get 5 comments in before a certain tower is mentioned

• This thread wont get 5 comments in before a certain tower is mentioned

Hahaha , Natwest?
  • Blackpool?
  • Going to Axis @ One Aldwych tonight in London with the missus.

Anyone been before? any recommendations?

Love a nice restaurant and i know we got a few people that like their grub on here, so thought may aswell start a thread.

Good luck with the meal by the way , let us know what you think , just don't put it on Twitter , or they'll be an out rage ; )
  • I'm up there with my mate Trev tonight actually VG, might see you there.
  • Have a good one mcAxis
  • oh you guys!!!!!!!!!
  • I've heard the food can be a little toxoid
  • Was this not the former site of Bank restaurant...... who seemed to have moved to westminster.
    The inside looks very similar.
    Went to Bank several times...... when someone else was paying mind. Modern British. The fish and chips were very good, but still fish and chips?
    Looked at the website, they do a..... A starter of ham hock fritters with pease pudding and honey mustard dressing has much to commend, followed by whole roasted plaice with grilled potatoes and clam vinaigrette. Desserts are a strong point as is made evident by the orange blossom brûlée and Garibaldi biscuits........ Not quite my thing, but seems harmless enough.  Have a good time.
  • finally a sensible answer. cheers ken.
  • Sponsored links:

• a rich Fan ...show off :-)  Kfc tower for me

• Goodman's Steak resturant in the City - amazing! If you love your steak go there, knocks the pants off Gaucho, Ramsey's Grill and all them
  • edited August 2011

If you like Chinese / Dim Sum - Hakkasan all the way for me. Champagne Blackened Cod and Honey Pork Belly is enough to have a 'sex wee' over.

Also a big fan of Roast in Borough Market.

• Goodman's Steak resturant in the City - amazing! If you love your steak go there, knocks the pants off Gaucho, Ramsey's Grill and all them
    I second that. Hawksmoor is as good, if not better. Failing that you could always jump on a plane to South America.
  • edited August 2011
    I've been to Roast at Borough Market. Was underwhelmed by that for the price to be honest.

I've been to Paramount at the top of centre point. I just had the bar menu, but the food I had was excellent and not too expensive (although posh people's portions), but the view is stupendous, could sit there for ages looking out of the window and be entertained. Good place to take your bird for a treat.

I've eaten out a fair bit in London but I think many London restaurants are over-hyped. One of the best meals I ever had was in the executive box at Aston Villa when my mate took a few of us for his birthday (Villa fan).

A few other stand-out meals I've had - Due South on the seafront at Brighton was excellent. The Sportsman at Whistable was superb if anybody is ever down that way. There's an excellent Vietnamese BYOB restaurant on Englefield Road, Islington which is good, often in papers and that as one of the best cheap places to eat out in London. The Trout near Oxford was nice, attractive setting. I personally think setting and atmos etc are (almost) as important as the food when eating out.

• Went to John Torode's Smiths of smithfields a while back. very nice and not too pricey.
  • le Gavroche (michel roux jr) is amazing had the tasting menu and it was delicious.
    loved Roast, went there for my birthday last week. thought it good value for 2 or 3 courses as the food was splendid. 
    the other Friday went to Heston's Dinner which was an awesome experience. meat fruit and wing rib of beef! mmmmmm 
    last year went to Murano just before ramsey sold to angela hartnett. tasting menu was great. 
    depending on your budget another great dinner was had at chicago rib shack knightsbridge. the music in the background was great too! 
    going to chapters on friday night, never been before! 
    I second that. Hawksmoor is as good, if not better. Failing that you could always jump on a plane to South America.
    Hawksmoor! Thats the one!! My misses has mentioned about going there - will try it now from your recomendation Dados!
  • Went to Paramount on Friday night with a rich mate (felt like i was his butler!). Food was amazing and as said before, the view was stunning and i did just stand there all tourist like just staring. Avoid the Corpse Reviver cocktail though, was like sucking on a lemon, and I like sour stuff normally!

Perfect for a romantic treat for the Mrs, if i can secure a second mortgage.
  • Also did actually treat the wife to a meal in Dego's italian restaurant in Great Portland street. Decor all dark and gothic style which she loved. Food was expensive but lovely, but i was a bit overwhelmed by the sommelier asking me about my favourite regions for wine (er, i like red wine and a bit of prosecco!).

Wife loved it though, job done and one in the bank!
  • Sponsored links:

• Had a rare treat for our tenth anniversary and went pont de la tour last week. Lovely evening so.got to sit outside by the river, and the food was really good.
  • I'm up there with my mate Trev tonight actually VG, might see you there.
    Solly?
  • edited August 2011
    La Querche in Brockley (nr Chandos) is good. If you're a veggie and stranded up town, then try Beatroots in Berwick Street.
  • brick lane ...............a good curry assured and free beer just barter with them
  • bodean's up town is good if you like your meat and lager!

gaucho grill at the o2 is delicious, best steak ive ever had.
  • Otherside of whitechapel,away from Brick Lane; 'Sinh Le' Chinese, on Mile End Road, affordable quality, followed by a pint at the Blind Beggar afterwards
  • @Seth used to live in Brockley, but don't know La Querche or Chandos, unless I forgot the name. I'll have to look up Beetroots next time I'm in town. We always went to Mildred's (on Lexington?).
  • le Gavroche (michel roux jr) is amazing had the tasting menu and it was delicious.
    loved Roast, went there for my birthday last week. thought it good value for 2 or 3 courses as the food was splendid. 
    the other Friday went to Heston's Dinner which was an awesome experience. meat fruit and wing rib of beef! mmmmmm 
    last year went to Murano just before ramsey sold to angela hartnett. tasting menu was great. 
    depending on your budget another great dinner was had at chicago rib shack knightsbridge. the music in the background was great too! 
    going to chapters on friday night, never been before! 
    Wish I had been to all of those places. 

Do you mean Chapter One? Have fortunately been there. The food was incredible. But it's my only michelin starred restaurant so I don't have so much to compare it to.

I like a foodie. Good on you.
  • Axis is nice.  Classy inside although it's a bit basement-y.  Food is good, but I found the service a little snooty. 

Most of my favourite nicer restaurants have gone by the wayside: tough times in the trade, but Escargot is still going strong.

Claridges is definitely good, but a bit showy, probably preferred Ramsay's other places (Boxwood and Maze, but not been to Hospital Road).

Appetito (near Tower Bridge) with its tasting menu is the best place I've been to in London if judged purely on food.
  • La Querche in Brockley (nr Chandos) is good. If you're a veggie and stranded up town, then try Beatroots in Berwick Street.
    One of the few really great Italian restaurants around - scruffy exterior - great inside.  Rolf Harris was in there the first time I went.  Random.