Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holidays 2027

124

Comments

  • HastingsRed
    HastingsRed Posts: 1,875
    Long weekend in Florence in March
    Two weeks in Bali in July. The first week up in Ubud, then a Villa by the beach in Seminyak.
    We were looking at a villa in Crete, but the prices were getting ridiculous for something that ticked all the boxes,    
    Good choice done a very similar trip back in 2008. Long flight for you though (we were living in Singapore when we went)....assuming your flying from UK?
    Yeah we are flying from Heathrow. We've done the flights before, so know what to expect.
    There was talk a few years back, pre covid, of Garuda flying direct to Bali from London, but that never materialised, so sadly its still two flights from the UK. Well worth it though, as still a great place to holiday if you do it right.  
    First time we went there was from London (1993)...went via Hong Kong (Cathy Pacific) then onto Bali via Jakarta with Garuda. We flew back from Bali with Garuda it took over 30 hours which included a 9-10 delay in Jakarta (plane needed a new engine), plus stopovers in Singapore, Abu Dhabi and Paris.
  • cantersaddick
    cantersaddick Posts: 18,880
    Solidgone said:
    Any recommendations on a nice resort in Mauritius? Only the 1 appears booked out in January and February. 
    Would recommend you move around and experience different parts of the Island. Massively different experiences in different places. We went shoulder season so could stay in places not usually in our price range. Lux Bell Mare and Paradis Beachcomber were highlights. Had some time in between in Lagoon attitude which was more affordable but still very nice and in an air bnb while we were diving.
    Another recommendation for Lux Belle Mar
    Just realised we were in Lux Belle Mare a year ago today!
  • jamescafc
    jamescafc Posts: 1,852
    Long weekend in Florence in March
    Two weeks in Bali in July. The first week up in Ubud, then a Villa by the beach in Seminyak.
    We were looking at a villa in Crete, but the prices were getting ridiculous for something that ticked all the boxes,    
    We did these areas whilst staying in Bali 2 years ago. We did a fantastic bike ride from Ubud to Seminyak with a tour guide. They take your luggage separately for you. Highly recommended if your mobile & want to see another side to the island. 
  • jamescafc
    jamescafc Posts: 1,852
    Anyone been on a Mekong cruise through Vietnam and Cambodia?

    No but I wonder if these guys would be able to help..

    https://chomchomtravel.com/travel/bespoke-trips/

    Local travel agent I was recommended but never used whilst I travelled in Vietnam.  They looked great but when I came across them we already had most things covered.
    Can personally vouch for these guys. They organized a few trips for us whilst we lived there.
  • Guardy
    Guardy Posts: 137
    Just back from the Grecian Park Hotel Cyprus. Definitely recommend.

    Maldives in January.
  • I'm heading off to Rhodes Town next week with the missus.  Does anyone have any recommendations for bars and restaurants in the town?.  Cheers all.
  • Rhodes Town - Greek Stories restaurant was excellent when we visited a couple of years ago and reviews are still good. Food and service excellent and good value 
  • Rhodes Town - Greek Stories restaurant was excellent when we visited a couple of years ago and reviews are still good. Food and service excellent and good value 
    Thanks for that, I will check it out.

    From what I've seen on Google and trip adviser there are tons of restaurants, so trying to wittle it down to a few recommendations. Cheers 
  • bobmunro
    bobmunro Posts: 22,133
    Tenerife for a week from next Monday - can't wait!
  • Cape Town for the 3rd test.

  • Sponsored links:



  • MrOneLung
    MrOneLung Posts: 28,213
    I'm heading off to Rhodes Town next week with the missus.  Does anyone have any recommendations for bars and restaurants in the town?.  Cheers all.
    Don’t go into bars that don’t have prices showing. Don’t order a large beer, order by actual size or you will get a large glass boot of beer and they will charge you 60 euros. 

    Seen so many stories on Facebook. 

    We only did a day trip there, but said we would like to stay there when not got our teenagers with us on holiday. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    I'm heading off to Rhodes Town next week with the missus.  Does anyone have any recommendations for bars and restaurants in the town?.  Cheers all.
    Don’t go into bars that don’t have prices showing. Don’t order a large beer, order by actual size or you will get a large glass boot of beer and they will charge you 60 euros. 

    Seen so many stories on Facebook. 

    We only did a day trip there, but said we would like to stay there when not got our teenagers with us on holiday. 
    You are right and the old town (enclosed walls) can be a tourist trap, particularly busy when cruise ships are docked, and we saw people being tricked by the boot drink. 

    It is only a very short walk to the new town of Rhodes and we never felt pressurised or ripped off there and there are plenty of good value restaurants and bars. 
  • DA9
    DA9 Posts: 11,246
    edited September 17
    Gran Canaria, Taurito, end of May, in the hotel dead opposite where we stayed in July 24, we watched from a distance  as it was being refurbed. Thats a water park in the middle, perfect for my teenage son.



    I turn 60 this time next year, hoping to go on a northern lights/christmas market cruise in late november/early december, as I cant take leave in september/october due to work commitments.
  • AFKABartram
    AFKABartram Posts: 59,402
    Too many posts on the 2027 thread should be on https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/100912/holidays-2026/p19

    Always in awe how organised in advance people are with their lives! 

    For once, have something booked up for next year, a Norwegian Fjords family cruise which I’m super excited about 
  • LargeAddick
    LargeAddick Posts: 34,653
    Too many posts on the 2027 thread should be on https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/100912/holidays-2026/p19

    Always in awe how organised in advance people are with their lives! 

    For once, have something booked up for next year, a Norwegian Fjords family cruise which I’m super excited about 
    Love a fjord cruise, scenery is stunning.
  • TellyTubby
    TellyTubby Posts: 3,743
    Too many posts on the 2027 thread should be on https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/100912/holidays-2026/p19

    Always in awe how organised in advance people are with their lives! 

    For once, have something booked up for next year, a Norwegian Fjords family cruise which I’m super excited about 
    The Fjords are stunning. You will love them.

    I have lots of friends booking cruises recently.  We don't think its our thing, same as beach holidays aren't our thing, or flying really. The more people on the beach or a boat, frees up the roads for our trips. 

    Perhaps, we might try a cruise once we require and are fitted for our zimmers 😉. 
  • CheshireAddick
    CheshireAddick Posts: 1,406
    edited September 17
    MrOneLung said:
    I'm heading off to Rhodes Town next week with the missus.  Does anyone have any recommendations for bars and restaurants in the town?.  Cheers all.
    Don’t go into bars that don’t have prices showing. Don’t order a large beer, order by actual size or you will get a large glass boot of beer and they will charge you 60 euros. 

    Seen so many stories on Facebook. 

    We only did a day trip there, but said we would like to stay there when not got our teenagers with us on holiday. 
    Cheers mate. I've heard that too. I will definetly keep an eye in that one 👍. Haha I agree. Its just me and the missus this time
  • bobmunro
    bobmunro Posts: 22,133
    Too many posts on the 2027 thread should be on https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/100912/holidays-2026/p19

    Always in awe how organised in advance people are with their lives! 

    For once, have something booked up for next year, a Norwegian Fjords family cruise which I’m super excited about 
    The Fjords are stunning. You will love them.

    I have lots of friends booking cruises recently.  We don't think its our thing, same as beach holidays aren't our thing, or flying really. The more people on the beach or a boat, frees up the roads for our trips. 

    Perhaps, we might try a cruise once we require and are fitted for our zimmers 😉. 

    Agree. Somewhere like the Fjords or an Arctic whale watching cruise, yes.
    We've been on one cruise to the Caribbean and it was enjoyable mostly because of the company (youngest, his wife and his wife's parents who we get on with very well. But I wouldn't do it again. Talking of the more mature customers, we used to laugh at the crowd going to the early show while we were having several pre-dinner drinks - it was like a scene from the Thriller video! And we are both 70 in the next 12 months! I know that not all cruises are like that but we've ticked the box.

    Again, we don't particularly like beaches and on a Caribbean cruise that's about all we had time for at each stop. As lovely as the beaches were there are just as wonderful beaches within 2-4 hours of the UK and in the UK as well if you get the weather (West Country, East Coast, and the West coast of Scotland and islands in particular  - winter sun as well within 4 hours.

    I hate long haul and I just don't get flying 12 hours or more to sit on a beach or around a pool (I prefer the latter). Sightseeing yes and soaking up a new culture. The great thing about being retired is that we can look at the UK weather forecast for the next week and just book and go!
  • TellyTubby
    TellyTubby Posts: 3,743
    bobmunro said:
    Too many posts on the 2027 thread should be on https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/100912/holidays-2026/p19

    Always in awe how organised in advance people are with their lives! 

    For once, have something booked up for next year, a Norwegian Fjords family cruise which I’m super excited about 
    The Fjords are stunning. You will love them.

    I have lots of friends booking cruises recently.  We don't think its our thing, same as beach holidays aren't our thing, or flying really. The more people on the beach or a boat, frees up the roads for our trips. 

    Perhaps, we might try a cruise once we require and are fitted for our zimmers 😉. 

    Agree. Somewhere like the Fjords or an Arctic whale watching cruise, yes.
    We've been on one cruise to the Caribbean and it was enjoyable mostly because of the company (youngest, his wife and his wife's parents who we get on with very well. But I wouldn't do it again. Talking of the more mature customers, we used to laugh at the crowd going to the early show while we were having several pre-dinner drinks - it was like a scene from the Thriller video! And we are both 70 in the next 12 months! I know that not all cruises are like that but we've ticked the box.

    Again, we don't particularly like beaches and on a Caribbean cruise that's about all we had time for at each stop. As lovely as the beaches were there are just as wonderful beaches within 2-4 hours of the UK and in the UK as well if you get the weather (West Country, East Coast, and the West coast of Scotland and islands in particular  - winter sun as well within 4 hours.

    I hate long haul and I just don't get flying 12 hours or more to sit on a beach or around a pool (I prefer the latter). Sightseeing yes and soaking up a new culture. The great thing about being retired is that we can look at the UK weather forecast for the next week and just book and go!
    Yup, getting older has some advantages. 
  • MrOneLung
    MrOneLung Posts: 28,213
    DA9 said:
    Gran Canaria, Taurito, end of May, in the hotel dead opposite where we stayed in July 24, we watched from a distance  as it was being refurbed. Thats a water park in the middle, perfect for my teenage son.



    I turn 60 this time next year, hoping to go on a northern lights/christmas market cruise in late november/early december, as I cant take leave in september/october due to work commitments.
    Have often looked at these 3 hotels @DA9 but fear there is nothing else in that area
    our kids will be 14&16 next summer

    What is the evening entertainment like, and are the pools saltwater ?

    cheers 

  • Sponsored links:



  • bobmunro said:
    Too many posts on the 2027 thread should be on https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/100912/holidays-2026/p19

    Always in awe how organised in advance people are with their lives! 

    For once, have something booked up for next year, a Norwegian Fjords family cruise which I’m super excited about 
    The Fjords are stunning. You will love them.

    I have lots of friends booking cruises recently.  We don't think its our thing, same as beach holidays aren't our thing, or flying really. The more people on the beach or a boat, frees up the roads for our trips. 

    Perhaps, we might try a cruise once we require and are fitted for our zimmers 😉. 

    Agree. Somewhere like the Fjords or an Arctic whale watching cruise, yes.
    We've been on one cruise to the Caribbean and it was enjoyable mostly because of the company (youngest, his wife and his wife's parents who we get on with very well. But I wouldn't do it again. Talking of the more mature customers, we used to laugh at the crowd going to the early show while we were having several pre-dinner drinks - it was like a scene from the Thriller video! And we are both 70 in the next 12 months! I know that not all cruises are like that but we've ticked the box.

    Again, we don't particularly like beaches and on a Caribbean cruise that's about all we had time for at each stop. As lovely as the beaches were there are just as wonderful beaches within 2-4 hours of the UK and in the UK as well if you get the weather (West Country, East Coast, and the West coast of Scotland and islands in particular  - winter sun as well within 4 hours.

    I hate long haul and I just don't get flying 12 hours or more to sit on a beach or around a pool (I prefer the latter). Sightseeing yes and soaking up a new culture. The great thing about being retired is that we can look at the UK weather forecast for the next week and just book and go!
    Agreed about a fjords or Arctic cruise and maybe a river cruise like the one we are contemplating in Vietnam and Cambodia (but not one in Europe)

    Definitely looking forward to travelling even more including seeing more of the UK when we give up work completely - check the weather forecast and go, and stay on longer if you want/the weather is conducive
  • bolloxbolder
    bolloxbolder Posts: 8,461
    I did a 3 hour cruise on the Mekon Delta a decade ago. I found it pretty uninspiring tbh.
  • I did a 3 hour cruise on the Mekon Delta a decade ago. I found it pretty uninspiring tbh.
    Oh

    We have friends going on a 7 day cruise next month, so will wait to hear their thoughts
  • LargeAddick
    LargeAddick Posts: 34,653
    I did a 3 hour cruise on the Mekon Delta a decade ago. I found it pretty uninspiring tbh.
    That's a boat trip isn't it?
  • HastingsRed
    HastingsRed Posts: 1,875
    edited September 17
    bobmunro said:
    Too many posts on the 2027 thread should be on https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/100912/holidays-2026/p19

    Always in awe how organised in advance people are with their lives! 

    For once, have something booked up for next year, a Norwegian Fjords family cruise which I’m super excited about 
    The Fjords are stunning. You will love them.

    I have lots of friends booking cruises recently.  We don't think its our thing, same as beach holidays aren't our thing, or flying really. The more people on the beach or a boat, frees up the roads for our trips. 

    Perhaps, we might try a cruise once we require and are fitted for our zimmers 😉. 

    Agree. Somewhere like the Fjords or an Arctic whale watching cruise, yes.
    We've been on one cruise to the Caribbean and it was enjoyable mostly because of the company (youngest, his wife and his wife's parents who we get on with very well. But I wouldn't do it again. Talking of the more mature customers, we used to laugh at the crowd going to the early show while we were having several pre-dinner drinks - it was like a scene from the Thriller video! And we are both 70 in the next 12 months! I know that not all cruises are like that but we've ticked the box.

    Again, we don't particularly like beaches and on a Caribbean cruise that's about all we had time for at each stop. As lovely as the beaches were there are just as wonderful beaches within 2-4 hours of the UK and in the UK as well if you get the weather (West Country, East Coast, and the West coast of Scotland and islands in particular  - winter sun as well within 4 hours.

    I hate long haul and I just don't get flying 12 hours or more to sit on a beach or around a pool (I prefer the latter). Sightseeing yes and soaking up a new culture. The great thing about being retired is that we can look at the UK weather forecast for the next week and just book and go!
    Went earlier this year (Caribbean) and going again early next year...different ship and some different islands...we just liked wandering around the towns where the ship decked up. Didn't bother with the organised trips and are not overly bothered about beaches as we stayed by a beach in Antigua after the cruise and we have several just down the road from where we live......also stayed in another part of Antigua for 4 nights before the cruise began (Nelsons Dockyard). Doing a very similar trip next year but spending some time in Barbados (before and after cruise) and going on a different ship.
  • We are just planning a family wedding trip to Australia, at present we are planning 8 days on both the Sunshine Coast (in Mooloomba) and Gold Coast (close to Broadchurch) . Just looking for day and 1/2 day tours / suggestions we are both in our early 70’s so surfing is out the question unfortunately. 
  • usetobunkin
    usetobunkin Posts: 2,700
    We are just planning a family wedding trip to Australia, at present we are planning 8 days on both the Sunshine Coast (in Mooloomba) and Gold Coast (close to Broadchurch) . Just looking for day and 1/2 day tours / suggestions we are both in our early 70’s so surfing is out the question unfortunately. 
    If you have any time in Sydney really recommend the Bridge Climb. My wife was 67 with a replacement hip and she was at the top before me.  
  • LargeAddick
    LargeAddick Posts: 34,653
    We are just planning a family wedding trip to Australia, at present we are planning 8 days on both the Sunshine Coast (in Mooloomba) and Gold Coast (close to Broadchurch) . Just looking for day and 1/2 day tours / suggestions we are both in our early 70’s so surfing is out the question unfortunately. 
    I’d look into a trip to the Glasshouse Mountains. If you have a car you could do it in a day easy. Personally think it’s a hidden gem. Sunshine Coast is, or at least it was when we went ten years ago, quieter than the Gold Coast but both have their own charms.
  • We are just planning a family wedding trip to Australia, at present we are planning 8 days on both the Sunshine Coast (in Mooloomba) and Gold Coast (close to Broadchurch) . Just looking for day and 1/2 day tours / suggestions we are both in our early 70’s so surfing is out the question unfortunately. 
    I’d look into a trip to the Glasshouse Mountains. If you have a car you could do it in a day easy. Personally think it’s a hidden gem. Sunshine Coast is, or at least it was when we went ten years ago, quieter than the Gold Coast but both have their own charms.
    Thanks, if we didn’t have to go for a family wedding on the Gold Coast then I think we would have spent more time on the Sunshine Coast, haven’t heard of glasshouse mountains, but will investigate them, we are lucky that we can afford private tours, so we can sort our own agendas.
  • DA9
    DA9 Posts: 11,246
    MrOneLung said:
    DA9 said:
    Gran Canaria, Taurito, end of May, in the hotel dead opposite where we stayed in July 24, we watched from a distance  as it was being refurbed. Thats a water park in the middle, perfect for my teenage son.



    I turn 60 this time next year, hoping to go on a northern lights/christmas market cruise in late november/early december, as I cant take leave in september/october due to work commitments.
    Have often looked at these 3 hotels @DA9 but fear there is nothing else in that area
    our kids will be 14&16 next summer

    What is the evening entertainment like, and are the pools saltwater ?

    cheers 
    We stayed at the TUI princess suite on the left and loved it, at the time it was an adults only hotel. Entertainment was decent. 
    the water park is separate from both hotels but there are other restaurants, bars and shops dotted around the the perimeter of it. Morgan has a good market a couple of times of week.
    we liked the whole area