Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obesity "not the fault of individuals"

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]kids should go to their local school, end of...
    true ..... unfortunately in the 80s the politicians' mantra for schools was CHOICE (cheap) when it should have been QUALITY (costs).
  • Options
    i eat loads, drink loads and hardly do any fitness based activities apart from a 15 min walk to and from the station every day.

i'm well skinny, always have been and the very few times i got to the doctors (to catch a glimpse of the nurses) they ask about my weight but hey, i'm fine.

Yeah i'd like to be fatter but there really seems nothing i can do about it despite my best efforts!

I'm waiting for it to catch up with me but at 25 i can't see it coming yet!

Growing up i had real issues from some idiots like Henry Irving ;-) who teased me about my weight but i couldnt care less now to be honest.
  • Options
    Watch out WSS, I was really skinny until my mid-20s, then put it on after that.
  • Options
    a responsible parent will want their kid to get the best eductation they can. If that means avoiding the local scumhouse for something better a few miles away, good luck to them for wanting the best for their kids.

going off subject here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]a responsible parent will want their kid to get the best eductation they can. If that means avoiding the local scumhouse for something better a few miles away, good luck to them for wanting the best for their kids.

going off subject here.

Fine, but then don't drive the kid to the school, and turn little Johnny in to a porker
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]a responsible parent will want their kid to get the best eductation they can. If that means avoiding the local scumhouse for something better a few miles away, good luck to them for wanting the best for their kids.

going off subject here.

It's not really off-subject, though - education's got a lot to do with it. School playing fields are STILL being sold off. And because many schools are allowed to become scumhouses, people are driving their little darlings elsewhere rather than walking them up the road. It's little things like that which are all adding up to one, big lardy problem with its arse hanging out of its trousers.
  • Options
    Surely if kids had to go to the local 'scumhouse' there would be a political earthquake and those responsible for said shit hole would find themselves out of jobs. Shifting children to areas where their parents don't pay local taxes and don't vote for local politicians is madness.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Surely if kids had to go to the local 'scumhouse' there would be a political earthquake and those responsible for said shit hole would find themselves out of jobs. Shifting children to areas where their parents don't pay local taxes and don't vote for local politicians is madness.

Innit, imagine the middle class darlings sending there kids to the comps in Greenwich, instead of shipping them off to Lewisham and Bexley. It might mean the secondaries in Greenwich improved a lot, cause the primary schools in Greenwich are top quality
  • Options
    anyway, everyone on a bike, especially in big cities, better cycle lanes, better Advanced stop lines, better policing of red light jumping.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Surely if kids had to go to the local 'scumhouse' there would be a political earthquake and those responsible for said shit hole would find themselves out of jobs. Shifting children to areas where their parents don't pay local taxes and don't vote for local politicians is madness.
    That's true .... says someone who lives in Greenwich and whose daughter goes to school in Bexley!

Should outlaw private education too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite] cause the primary schools in Greenwich are top quality
    that does seem to be true.
  • Options
    My two boys do not have one day where they are not doing either football, tennis, swimming, cricket or Scouts etc. They love it and are as fit as fiddles.
    I may be old fashioned but that's they way I think boys should be.
    There is so much organised sport and activites these days for kids, and inexpensive too. So many different things on offer. There is no excuse.
  • Options
    best education ?...unless we are talking about a school thats out of control then a smart kid will do well whether he or she is a school with a higher academic record or not...and they'll do a lot better if most of their day isn't taken up with commuting and can join in with the social and other activities that the school will offer before and after the school day...and as for those parents that send their kids to a private school these days, they need their heads examined imho...as i always ask them, which kids are going to have the better start in life when they leave school, yours that you've paid a fortune to have educated or mine who will get a lump sum that i've been saving towards for them all these years ?...private schools only achieve overall better exam grades because their kids are made to do tons more homework (so no down time as kids) and their parents employ tutors to teach them the stuff they didn't learn in class...local schools for local kids, its the only way...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]not always as easy as it sounds, some of the bigger people i know eat and drink nowhere near as much as you would expect.

Bollocks ... here's a tester for you all. When you are on your way home, and you ar standing at Charing Cross, Cannon Street have a look around ... see how many "fat" people are eating.

Then shout only 30 minutes til dinner ...
  • Options
    I blame Andrew Mills
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]not always as easy as it sounds, some of the bigger people i know eat and drink nowhere near as much as you would expect.

Bollocks ... here's a tester for you all. When you are on your way home, and you ar standing at Charing Cross, Cannon Street have a look around ... see how many "fat" people are eating.

Then shout only 30 minutes til dinner ...

I love Charlton Life!!!
  • Options
    30 minutes physical education EVERY morning when the little darlings get to school I say.
  • Options
    surely, if they are standing on the platform at one of the london terminals and have to wait5 mins for the train to arrive, then say a 15-20 mins journey and a 5 min stroll home then the only food the are going get in your 30 mins time frame is junk food unless their missus will have the dinner on the table ready and waiting, though in which cae they wouldn't be eating on the station platform in the first place then ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]though in which case they wouldn't be eating on the station platform in the first place then ?

That's my point .... fat people eat food .. ALL THE TIME
  • Options
    I'm staying out of this one !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and anyway, if we did away with fat people and fat kids, who's going to wear all those chelsea football shirts ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]and anyway, if we did away with fat people and fat kids, who's going to wear all those chelsea football shirts ?

And who would go in goal?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]and anyway, if we did away with fat people and fat kids, who's going to wear all those chelsea football shirts ?

Oh the views of a fellow west londoner. :-0
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Growing up i had real issues from some idiots like Henry Irving ;-) who teased me about my weight but i couldnt care less now to be honest.

Sorry, WSS didn't mean to be personal. I was very skinny as a kid and a young man (was trying to post up a picture in my thin white duke days but couldn't. Help someone) so know what it is like.

If you are like me then come about 30 and married life it starts to pile on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I'm staying out of this one !!

To be fair I often see Large at Cannon St and have never seen him eating.
  • Options
    i didnt take it personally Mr Hayes don't worry!
  • Options
    You can't buy anything to eat at Cannon Street now anyway (grumble)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

If you are like me then come about 30 and married life it starts to pile on.

actually, you might have hit upon something there henry...i blame the wives..
  • Options
    I too was extremley slim till early mid 20's. I have a photo of me at 20 in a pair of Speedos. I use it every year for my inspiration, hasn't worked yet, but this year it's different.
    I wieghed in at 16st 10lb on 30th Dec. By 30th Nov I hope to be between 13 - 13 1/2.
    I'm on track at the moment.
    I am fed up with being fat.
  • Options
    just don't put those speedos back on and post the pic on here mate. ;-)