Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obesity "not the fault of individuals"

124»

Comments

• Options
    ScoSco
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Just read DJDD's 2 stone in 5 weeks post....Christ that is some serious weight loss!!! That's 12 kilos in 5 weeks in Oz terms which is very good going. How have you managed that?

He stopped eating people who argue with him for breakfast. ;0)
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Kid's spend far too much time infront of tv's & computers, I mean ffs, what is Wii all about???? Go out & play tennis, don't blinkin pretend to with a computer!!!!!!!

Slightly off-topic, I agree on the games consoles agrument but but the Wii isn't like any other games console in that it can be a source of excercise. The sports package that comes with the thing has a couple of games on it which would leave many out of puff! Not as good as real exercise but better than sitting on yer butt with a controller in yer hand

As for dance mats...they're carnage!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Just read DJDD's 2 stone in 5 weeks post....Christ that is some serious weight loss!!! That's 12 kilos in 5 weeks in Oz terms which is very good going. How have you managed that?

The Cambridge Diet.
    Call a fad or whatever. It works for me. It is because you need discipline. You only have what you are given, there is nothing else.
    I have tried many diets WeightWatchers etc. They are no good for me because if they give me an inch I will take a mile.
    It is a combination of Shakes and soups. I am totaly in the zone, not a breadcrumb has passed my lips since 30th Sep. It is a state of mind more than anything else.
    If this diet has shown me one thing it is that you really do not need to eat that much food. I used to eat loads, not all shit, a lot of fresh home cooked food but lots of it.
    It will be tough when I come off this in Dec, especially looking at my diary! But I intend to eat less and more sensibly and excersise more.
    I've done fat and it's a pain in the arse.
  • Options
    Congratsn DJDD.

Totally agreement with most of the above. At the beginning of 2006- i lost 5 stone over 6 months, the first 4 stone of which were lost in the 1st 3 months-

Guess what- no alcohol in that first period and therefore no late night bingeing and plenty of morning exercise

Not rocket science, consume less calories than you burn up and you lose weight.

Not sure about fad diets, but if it works, then hey- but the hard part will be keeping it off when the diet is not at the foremost of your thoughts.
  • Options
    My diet since the start of September...

At least four litres of water per day

Haven't had any food made with white flour (eating granary bread, wholemeal pasta etc. Also started eating brown rice)

Haven't eaten carbohydrates with proteins (no potatoes with dinner etc. More green veg)

Eating more chicken and fish rather than red meat

Cut out eating in between meals

Cut out the junk food

Reduced my Alchohol intake. Drinking more red wine

Increased the exercise (Walk for at least half-an-hour at lunchtime)

Result: 2 Stone loss in six weeks and I'm really enjoying my food.
  • Options
    Well done DJDD...top stuff.

All the fad diet stuff will never work unless you really want to lose weight. Most people I know who've slimmed down and swear by this/that diet have usually had that determination to lose weight.

Just be sensible, eat/drink less, exercise more and stay off the booze. Beer contains a lot of carbohydrates, which when consumed are broken down into sugar and stored as fat in your body. I think beer also contributes because fter a few pints in an evening you rarely feel like exercising the next day - hangovers and all that.
  • Options
    Not sure about the booze argument.

You never see a fat wino...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Not sure about the booze argument.

You never see a fat wino...

I give you Jimmy 'five bellies' Gardner. Ollie Reed was not slim either. I drink a fair amount and have a belly to be proud/ashamed of however your mindset.

End of the day eat less move more. When I was still on the tools regular I weighed 2.5 stone less than I do now and was a shite site fitter. I also eat crap from a cafe or snack wagon each morning. Difference was I spent all day climbing, lifting, digging and carrying. Now I spend a good chunk of the day sitting at a table in front of a screen. And for some bloody reason I seem to be more tired after work now than I did when I was grafting for a living. Madness.

That footlong at lunch probably didn't help things though
  • Options
    No, I mean proper winos Carts, the ones you see in railway arches.

I was only kidding of course, alcohol makes a huge difference to weight without any doubt. Fortunately all the lifting and carrying, and cleaning involved with running our place means the extra booze is offset, so my beer belly remains a constant...
  • Options
    feeling guilty about my fat fest in the George and Vulture at lunchtime........ :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    what you said earlier 'vodka and slimline for dorothy etc' is true as well afka.

People make such a thing about it all (as it's obviously a wake-up call for some), they also think you're being boring, puts a downer on things, so easy to give in. I'm a naturally fast drinker, too, and pints though bloating and full of calories just last longer and seem more sociable.

As someone said earlier it really is simple though - the more you drink/ shit food you eat the more exercise you need to do....

not fair, but it's true!!
  • Options
    Lots of good points...

Greenwich's secondary education sucks, and did when I left Roan in 1985.

I intend to move, when my children are no longer able to walk to the local school which will be before they are 11. Greenwich's primary school's are not the best but they are good and are improving.

Cycled to work through most of the summer and have been trying to diet for a while, have gone from 18.5 stone to 16 stone over 18 months and because of the cycling blood pressure has gone from verging on drugs to have to control it. To fairly normal for my age.

It is personal responsibility for their health.....

My son who is 7 does Tae Kwon Do (yellow belt) twice a week, Beavers,+ cycle and play football once/twice a week. It is opporunity and a bit of work against being lazy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]feeling guilty about my fat fest in the George and Vulture at lunchtime........ :-)

One of my favourite city restaurants , and the old girl waitress is Charlton
  • Options
    wished i'd known that, i might of got a bit more mash !
  • Options
    Not as good as Simpsons next door eh fellas?
  • Options
    hmmm close call that one but neither top sweetings ....
  • Options
    good hearty proper stodge, but not mad on the school dinner feel to those two. There was 4 of us on a table of 6, and they go and bring another couple of fellas to sit on the same table as us !
  • Options
    Give yourselves a real treat one day and go to Rules in Covent Garden.

Sensational.

Or if you don't have an expense account, The Guniea Grill. A wonderful restaurant at the back of the Guniea pub just off Berkley Sq.

Both establishments are wonderful for traditional English fayre.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]feeling guilty about my fat fest in the George and Vulture at lunchtime........ :-)

One of my favourite city restaurants , and the old girl waitress is Charlton

as (are ?)/were the older couple in the lamb in leadenhall market if i remember rightly...
  • Options
    Maybe this explains why the food fascists are so active......

http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_determinants/life_style/nutrition/nutrition_en.htm
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ormiston Addick quote: 'I think that if you eat healthily and exercise for 5 days a week then you can get away with a few drinks on a Friday night (say 4-5 pints) and then have another boozy day on Saturday as long as you get back on the wagon again on Sunday and stay there for the following week - you won't "lose" much weight doing that but you will hold a stable weight because your good days will balance the bad ones'....

I think seeing a 'few drinks' as 4-5 pints plus a few more on the Saturday, sums up the problem
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]

I think seeing a 'few drinks' as 4-5 pints plus a few more on the Saturday, sums up the problem

OOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
    Get you!
  • Options
    Sorry?
  • Options
    Get off your high horse fella.
  • Options
    Had my second "Weigh in" yesterday. Another 9lb off. So that is 25lb in 3 weeks on The Cambridge Diet.
  • Options
    Well done mate. keep it up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Get off your high horse fella.

I've had 5-6 pints on a Friday followed by a few more on the Saturday myself on a few occasions. I just don't see it as 'a few drinks', that's all. The fact that some do is a national health problem, not me being on a 'high horse.'