Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obesity "not the fault of individuals"

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]I too was extremley slim till early mid 20's. I have a photo of me at 20 in a pair of Speedos. I use it every year for my inspiration, hasn't worked yet, but this year it's different.
    I wieghed in at 16st 10lb on 30th Dec. By 30th Nov I hope to be between 13 - 13 1/2.
    I'm on track at the moment.
    I am fed up with being fat.

Well it's inpsired me. You weighed more than I do and I'm slighty taller than you. I'm 16st 4lbs which is the heaviest I've ever been and should be 14st 7lbs according to those BMI table.
  • Options
    I always played competitive sport as a kid and into my 20's.

Winter - Rugby (Sat - School and Sun - Sidcup RC), Football (School)
    Summer - Golf (School & Golf Club), Tennis (School), Swimming (School, London)

Its only since having a family that Ive stopped, but I make sure I walk for at least an hour a day, and swim 30 lengths plus most weekends.

Today I read that only 63% of 16yr olds play some sort of sport..... Surely the PC insistence than "little Johnny" doesn't feel useless by banning competitive sports in schools has something to do with the obesity you see in kids these days.

However the blame must also be laid at the feet of lazy parents. My sister and I are both normal size and within our BMI measurements. As children we had home cooked food and ate either packed lunches prepared with fresh ingredients by our Mum (no Cheesy Strings or Dairylea Dunkers) or proper school dinners (no Turkey Twizzlers).

My cousins were sent to McD's 3 nights a week, or given something pre-prepared, were sent to school with money to buy their own food out of school, and both have huge eating problems and are size 16-20.

Its these habits that are laid down in your formative years that tend to dictate whether you're going to be fat or not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]I too was extremley slim till early mid 20's. I have a photo of me at 20 in a pair of Speedos. I use it every year for my inspiration, hasn't worked yet, but this year it's different.
    I wieghed in at 16st 10lb on 30th Dec. By 30th Nov I hope to be between 13 - 13 1/2.
    I'm on track at the moment.
    I am fed up with being fat.

Good on you Mike
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    According to those BMI stats I should be 7'4".
    You are quite a bit taller than me Henry.
    Me you and AFKA could do the Cleese/Barker/Corbett Class sketch if you were thiner!

I can't believe I got so heavy.
  • Options
    My sister is obese my Mother, Father and I are not. The reason is she will drive 100 yards to the shop. Lazyness is often the key factor I believe it is a simple as that if you exercise you stay slim, people who say they have tried dieting/exercizing and it didn't work are lying and lazy! I eat all day long drink probebly 30-40 pints a week and am 6ft 12 1/2 stone but I cycle 5 miles a day. Exercise simple as that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]

My cousins were sent to McD's 3 nights a week, or given something pre-prepared, were sent to school with money to buy their own food out of school, and both have huge eating problems and are size 16-20.
    do your cousins wet themselves though?

i blame The Ledge ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]According to those BMI stats I should be 7'4".
    You are quite a bit taller than me.
    Me you and AFKA could do the Cleese/Barker/Corbett Class sketch if you were thiner!

LOL

Henry "I look down on him (looks down nose at Davey) because I sit in the West Stand"

Davey " I look down on him (looks down nose at AFKA) because I sit in the East Stand

AFKA "I know my place"

Reminds my of the story told by a very tall basketball player who was asked suggestively if the "rest" of him was in proportion to his height.

"No", he said "if it was I'd be 9 ft tall"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

do your cousins wet themselves though?

i blame The Ledge ;-)

LOL! Im never gonna hear the end of this am I?
  • Options
    really interesting thread.

Only balancing thing i will add, a lot of blaming of 'lazy parents' etc I'm sure its true in some part, but what hasn't been mentioned is a lot of this is out of necessity. The days of daddy going off to work and mummy raising the kids is from a different era. Break ups, single parent families and the necessity of two partners working just to afford mortgages etc means that a lot of that school run rat race is down to the parent having to get to work, rather than wanting to race home for Jeremy Kyle.
    I'm sure this leads on to the poor diet as things like MacDonalds are seen as a treat, and a way of the parent buying out their guilt, for one reason or another, not being there to raise their kid as adequately as they would of liked.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]According to those BMI stats I should be 7'4".
    You are quite a bit taller than me.

LOL

Henry "I look down onhim(looks down nose at Davey) because I sit in the West Stand"

Davey " I look down onhim(looks down nose at AFKA) because I sit in the East Stand

AFKA "I know my place"

Reminds my of the story told by a very tall basketball player who was asked suggestively if the "rest" of him was in proportion to his height.

"No", he said "if it was I'd be 9 ft tall"

No suprise as the true People's Champion, i'm the only one 'keeping it real' :-)

That quote was Joel Garner i believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see what you mean Smudge but both Hayley and I work and we don’t feed our daughter crap.

When we cook for ourselves in the evening we always prepare an extra portion for Ellie and then she has this the next evening. Its easy if you just give some thought to it.

Also when she was a baby we introduced her to mashed veg such as broccoli, potatoes with leeks, sweet potatoes with carrots etc so she didn’t develop a taste for stodgy foods. There’s a school of thought that we bought into that if a baby develops a taste for foods such as rusks then as children and then adults they would always see these type of beige foods as comfort foods.

Ellie now enjoys salads, fish, meat, and vegetables. Basically anything you put in front of her and fully understands that eating burgers, pizza etc all the time makes you fat.
  • Options
    Dont know what the government is worried about.

All these fat kids will be addicted to speed and cocaine by the time they are 16, the weight will fall off.
  • Options
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zIfzDyVBG_M

You've have to imagine, me, Davey and AKFA doing the john Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett roles.
  • Options
    If you can't afford or haven't enough time to bring up kids properly then you shouldn't have them in the first place. Feeding them fast food as a quick way of relieving guilt/buying love is about as retarded as giving them a crack pipe just because it brings a smile to their chubby little face.
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Also when she was a baby we introduced her to mashed veg such as broccoli, potatoes with leeks, sweet potatoes with carrots etc so she didn’t develop a taste for stodgy foods. There’s a school of thought that we bought into that if a baby develops a taste for foods such as rusks then as children and then adults they would always see these type ofbeigefoods as comfort foods.

Ellie now enjoys salads, fish, meat, and vegetables. Basically anything you put in front of her and fully understands that eating burgers, pizza etc all the time makes you fat.

Same with Joe. He enjoys vegs and will try any food so is a joy to take out to eat. He has McDonalds but there's nothing wrong with that once in a while, (maybe three or four times a year.) What he is told is that McDonalds is not a treat as their is much more interesting and tasty food out there.

He's skinny just like his mum and dad were at his age. he plays football, that other game that begins with R that I'm not going to mention, swims, does cubs and plays out in the garden and the street. He even got in his Cubs Bowling team (sorry, proud Dad moment)

He's lucky that his parents can, just about, afford to pay for all his clubs and kits and to live in a house with a garden and an area where the street is safe. If I was a single parent on benefits on the Ferrier estate would I want him out playing in the street. Could I afford to take him to the david Lloyd centre next door. most likely not so much more likely that he'd stay in.

One other factor about adults and weight that hasn't been mentioned but really should is drugs. You never see a fat heroin junkie. Smoking is also an appetite represent and speed speeds up your matabolism (and shrivals up other things.)
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Dont know what the government is worried about.

All these fat kids will be addicted to speed and cocaine by the time they are 16, the weight will fall off.

Sorry, Hadn't read that when I posted.
  • Options
    I'd hate to think what Ellie would be like if we fed her a diet full of E numbers..... She’s like the Duracell Bunny as she is!!

I agree. She is lucky that we can afford nice things but what gets my goat is when you see poorer families in Tesco with a trolley full of pre-prepared meals, tins of Spag Bol sauce etc....

FFS Its much cheaper and better for you to buy and mash some potatoes, cook up some mince, onions, mushrooms etc and MAKE a Cottage Pie, than its is to buy Tesco own.

Its just lazy and really f**king stupid!!
  • Options
    FFS Its much cheaper and better for you to buy and mash some potatoes, cook up some mince, onions, mushrooms etc andMAKEa Cottage Pie, than its is to buy Tesco own.

You put mushrooms in Cottage Pie? .......Yuk.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]
    FFS Its much cheaper and better for you to buy and mash some potatoes, cook up some mince, onions, mushrooms etc andMAKEa Cottage Pie, than its is to buy Tesco own.

You put mushrooms in Cottage Pie? .......Yuk.

These ones are magic mate.....
  • Options
    I see the fire brigade are gonna start charging fattys tomove them , to be honest I'm surprised they don't already.

anyone see the fattys on GMTV this morning ? In america of course , they have rehab for fattys over there like we do for drugs.\

made me feel quite pleased with meself whilst running me 10th K.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]If you can't afford or haven't enough time to bring up kids properly then you shouldn't have them in the first place. Feeding them fast food as a quick way of relieving guilt/buying love is about as retarded as giving them a crack pipe just because it brings a smile to their chubby little face.

Well said that man!
  • Options
    I think that if we changed the quote to 'obesity is not solely the fault of individuals' then I would agree. Of course, the individual has a responsibility to him/herself to look after his/her weight but it also comes down to how our society works. Someone has already mentionned how our towns and cities are so 'car centred' and how it is not as safe to cycle as in other countries. Someone else talked about convenience foods: there is no real reason why frozen microwaveable foods should not be reasonably healthy. Alot of our food is full of E numbers and chemicals but it isn't the individual who chose to put them there. Much of the food that is available is unnecessarily rich in calories. The best example I can find is that of Chinese food in the UK. The sauces are ridiculously rich and nothing like real Chinese food. Why?
    Add to the equation busy lifestyles with both people in a couple working and it's easy to see how people fall in the trap.

Personally I cook fresh vegetables virtually every night and we never get a takeaway (and I mean never). I also play tennis at least twice a week, sometimes go swimming, and cycle or walk everywhere (I don't have a car). Yet I am overweight (though not obese). In fact I was born overweight at 10lbs. My brother, on the other hand, was born severly underweight and nearly died at birth. Sometimes we wonder what they gave him to survive because he is certainly not underweight now. I can't vouch for what he eats exactly but I'm sure it's not what some people might expect.

This question is far more complicated then I think many people realise. If it's really just the individual's fault then why is it that in some societies people weigh on average less than in others? Sometimes I feel afraid to breathe in England because I fear that calories are in the air!
  • Options
    There are so many factors to blame for this.
    Schools no longer feed kids, they no longer provide decent physical education (sports fields being sold off) & competetive sport is often frowned upon.
    Food is available 24/7. It's faster, it's advertised everywhere. It's in your face so much it's like a hobby.
    I remember when I was young I didn't want to eat because it interferred with playing (usually outside or down the park). Food just seemed a necessity rather than a treat/pleasure.
    Both my parents worked which meant I had to get a bus to school from the start, even if they did drive they wouldn't have. Sometimes I'd spend my bus fare on sweeties but that meant walking to & from school, which was at least 30 minutes each way.
    Kid's spend far too much time infront of tv's & computers, I mean ffs, what is Wii all about???? Go out & play tennis, don't blinkin pretend to with a computer!!!!!!!
    Diets don't work. A balanced diet, including a little of what you fancy now & then coupled with regular exercise is what keeps you healthy. I know, I have been accused of being anorexic/buleamic (spelling), when I was eating everything infront of me but running 10 miles a week & I've also stopped exercising through health/mind issues & piled weight on like it's going out of fashion.
    Well done to you DJDD, I really hope you keep up the good work!
    I'm well on the way back to being me, got myself a personal trainer who can motivate me now my motivation has run to the hills & have a 10k in February to aim for.
    Obesity is a real problem & everyone needs to take responsibility for it.
  • Options
    gave up booze completely in january and before the end of feb i had lost 2 stone. TWO STONE!!

Obbviously some of that's down to not eating the crap you eat when pissed as well, but it's bloody incredible how alcohol piles it on (esp when you reach your thirties)
  • Options
    i'm the same Boggsy, have a drink then develop the equivalent of the munchies.

two stone in 8 weeks is some going though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i'm the same Boggsy, have a drink then develop the equivalent of the munchies.

two stone in 8 weeks is some going though.
    I reckon I will have shed 2 in 5 weeks at the rate I'm going.
  • Options
    Top point about the booze helping to pile on the pounds, its an absolute killer weight wise. Its not just the booze that causes problems though it is also the fact that alcohol triggers a bio-mechanical response that makes your body want to eat carbohydrates and fatty foods like chips, burgers, pizza etc....

This will also happen the next morning when you wake up hungover and dehydrated but will probably not want to eat fruit or cereal for breakfast but will instead crave more carbs with cheese or eggs to re-fuel yourself, its a knock-on effect.

I think that if you eat healthily and exercise for 5 days a week then you can get away with a few drinks on a Friday night (say 4-5 pints) and then have another boozy day on Saturday as long as you get back on the wagon again on Sunday and stay there for the following week - you won't "lose" much weight doing that but you will hold a stable weight because your good days will balance the bad ones....

Also a good idea to drink Vodka/Gin and Diet Tonic instead of the much worse beer/wine because there is much less sugar.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Also a good idea to drink Vodka/Gin and Diet Tonic instead of the much worse beer/wine because there is much less sugar.

easier said than done when you know the order is going to be 'eight pints of lager, and a vodka and slimline tonic for dorothy'
  • Options
    Just read DJDD's 2 stone in 5 weeks post....Christ that is some serious weight loss!!! That's 12 kilos in 5 weeks in Oz terms which is very good going. How have you managed that?
  • Options
    he lost a leg in an accident.