Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marlon King fails medical

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't think 18 months is enough but I don't know what the normal tarriff for such crimes is.

How much money or fame King has (he played for Wigan FFS so hardly a megastar) his behaviour is due to his personality not his profession or wealth.

He was jailed while playing for Gillingham so hardly an innocent lad who had his head turned by the big time.

The vast majority of other professional players haven't been convicted of similar crimes as King despite similar wealth and fame.

They will be a range of nice and not so nice people within football with King at one extreme and the likes of Chris Powell at the other.
  • Options
    what a scumbag and his agent ain't a lot better. If Finnigan had any morals he'd drop King like a hot potato and never represent him again but he won't because King will still give him a couple more payday's yet. He's right in that some Club will take him on, if Lee Hughes the murderer can get one then I'm sure King will. The players at that Club might want to keep him away from their WAG's though.
  • Options
    You're all heartless he was in that bar celebrating the birth of his baby.

Poor Marlon, he couldn't even score in the West End.

Play him out, Keyboard Cat.

gifbinkeyboardcat.gif
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]what a scumbag and his agent ain't a lot better. If Finnigan had any morals he'd drop King like a hot potato and never represent him again but he won't because King will still give him a couple more payday's yet. He's right in that some Club will take him on, if Lee Hughes the murderer can get one then I'm sure King will.

With good behaviour King will be out in time for the start of next season, and someone will definitely have him, churning out the old line that everyone deserves a 2nd chance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I hope all of you who say Lee Hughes is just a reformed criminal who served his time and has a right to ply his trade (playing football?!! Trade my arse!) once released will say the same about this worm.

Any club that touches this cretin is as bad as him.

Difference is that Lee Hughes was contrite about his conviction, served his time and admitted guilt/remorse etc and I believe he was sincere in that. Marlon King's conviction isn't quite the same thing, unlike Hughes who acted stupidly in drinking/driving and leaving the scene of an accident he consciously attacked someone then tried to claim "mistaken identity" and has yet to admit guilt, apologise or demonstrate any remorse whatsoever. Indeed his agent was on R5 last night committing career suicide by standing by him and predicting that on his release another club will snap him up on the basis that he'll still be able to offer a club something as a player. His agent not only criticised Wigan for sacking King but also the PFA for not getting involved. Any player that uses that agent will know that they've got a brass necked negotiator on their side, but also one who severely lacks any perspective and a moral compass.

I'm in favour of giving Lee Hughes a second chance on the basis that he's demonstrated contrition etc, until Marlon King does I'd rather his name doesn't tarnish the sport or any sport.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I hope all of you who say Lee Hughes is just a reformed criminal who served his time and has a right to ply his trade (playing football?!! Trade my arse!) once released will say the same about this worm.

Any club that touches this cretin is as bad as him.

Difference is that Lee Hughes was contrite about his conviction, served his time and admitted guilt/remorse etc and I believe he was sincere in that. Marlon King's conviction isn't quite the same thing, unlike Hughes who acted stupidly in drinking/driving and leaving the scene of an accident he consciously attacked someone then tried to claim "mistaken identity" and has yet to admit guilt, apologise or demonstrate any remorse whatsoever. Indeed his agent was on R5 last night committing career suicide by standing by him and predicting that on his release another club will snap him up on the basis that he'll still be able to offer a club something as a player. His agent not only criticised Wigan for sacking King but also the PFA for not getting involved. Any player that uses that agent will know that they've got a brass necked negotiator on their side, but also one who severely lacks any perspective and a moral compass.

I'm in favour of giving Lee Hughes a second chance on the basis that he's demonstrated contrition etc, until Marlon King does I'd rather his name doesn't tarnish the sport or any sport.

What BFR said.

(Probably a first for us to agree on anything!:-) )
  • Options
    marlon king's history:

1 1997 convicted of wounding
    2 1999 convicted of theft
    3 1999 convicted of fraudulent use of vehicle licence documents
    4 2002 convicted for drink driving
    5 2002 convicted of attempting to obtain property by deception
    6 2002 convicted for recieving stolen goods
    7 2003 two convictions for common assault on women
    8 2007 convicted for hitting a woman and spitting at police
    9 2008 banned from driving
    10 2008 arrested on suspicion of punching a woman
    11 2008 charged with sexual assault and ABH

and on the subject of lee bowyer, regardless of the fact that he was cleared on the field he doesn't seem to have matured and has a tendency to break a few legs, whereas woodgate matured and had it not been for injuries would be an england regular by now
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Radzinsky[/cite]marlon king's history:

Even if you ignore the latest conviction that is a long crime sheet but not one that put off any of his numerous clubs.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Chris said : '' Marlon King shouldn't have needed any kind of guidance, tutoring, mentoring etc .''

Well everyody at a young and impressionable age needs guidance and mentoring. Especially when there is money and adulation - and therefore temptations aplenty - floating around .

I certainly wasn't making excuses for him : I said he deserved a longer sentence for trying to lie his way out of it. My point was more of a question, really, and only loosely attached to Marlon King, who looking at the conviction list above is beyond redemption.

The question was : do top football clubs still employ tutors for their teenage players?

I suppose today they'd be called 'life coaches'. That's certainly not what Kate Hoey was called when she worked for Arsenal in the mid-80s but it's effectively what she did. She taught that very young and highly succesful Arsenal side how to look after their money, how to conduct themselves in public etc. But her job was also to teach them decent values to do with community responsibility and their duties as role models etc and generally to counter the 'loadsamoney' 1980s ethos of greed and avarice.

She also recruited many of her youthful Arsenal charges to the Labour party. Thanks to Kate we put David Rocastle on the front of a youth magazine which me and Neil Spencer produced and edited for the party in the 1987 general election. That's another story but the phenomenon of affluent young footballers advocating higher taxes for the rich and the redistribution of wealth is something I've not come across much since!

From what Kate said at the time, Arsenal was quite unusual in employing her and few other clubs had similar programmes. I wonder if any - even Arsenal - still do today? From what I've seen - even at our friendly family club at the Valley with people like Bowyer, Marcus Bent and Jerome Thomas - there is definitely a need.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Chris said : '' Marlon King shouldn't have needed any kind of guidance, tutoring, mentoring etc .''

Well everyody at a young and impressionable age needs guidance and mentoring. Especially when there is money and adulation - and therefore temptations aplenty - floating around .

I certainly wasn't making excuses for him : I said he deserved a longer sentence for trying to lie his way out of it. My point was more of a question, really, and only loosely attached to Marlon King, who looking at the conviction list above is beyond redemption.

The question was : do top football clubs still employ tutors for their teenage players?

I suppose today they'd be called 'life coaches'. That's certainly not what Kate Hoey was called when she worked for Arsenal in the mid-80s but it's effectively what she did. She taught that very young and highly succesful Arsenal side how to look after their money, how to conduct themselves in public etc. But her job was also to teach them decent values to do with community responsibility and their duties as role models etc and generally to counter the 'loadsamoney' 1980s ethos of greed and avarice.

She also recruited many of her youthful Arsenal charges to the Labour party. Thanks to Kate we put David Rocastle on the front of a youth magazine which me and Neil Spencer produced and edited for the party in the 1987 general election. That's another story but the phenomenon of affluent young footballers advocating higher taxes for the rich and the redistribution of wealth is something I've not come across much since!

From what Kate said at the time, Arsenal was quite unusual in employing her and few other clubs had similar programmes. I wonder if any - even Arsenal - still do today? From what I've seen - even at our friendly family club at the Valley with people like Bowyer, Marcus Bent and Jerome Thomas - there is definitely a need.

Not wanting to start an argument, but isn't that the same period at Arsenal where drinking and gambling was common place? Adams comes to mind. As Henry said there are people who conduct themselves well or badly in all walks of life, with or without money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Merson, Parlour, Davis, Quinn...

A lot of chequered pasts, but maybe that was why she was brought in?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ''A lot of chequered pasts, but maybe that was why she was brought in?''

Yes, quite possibly. If there was a poor example being set by the older players that might have been exactly why she was brought in, to counter their influence on the young teenagers just breaking into the team. I thought it was a jolly good idea at the time and that view has probably only grown stronger since...

The people who need this sort of support and guidance are not Marlon King, who is 29 years old and beyond redemption, but the 16/17/18/19 year olds on the books at Wigan who might have looked up to him and got the impression that his example was an accpetable way to behave...
  • Options
    Yeah I agree, Nigel, but can't see anyone looking up to Marlon :-)

There's a whole bunch of things that they do at Ajax - for example - that covers the off-field development of the players.

I think we do a fair bit too. I can remember the missus, when she worked at the club, telling me that they were doing safety training with younger players - like how to put out chip pan fires and such like. I know this is a daft example, but I think it demonstrates that we do look at off-field stuff too.
  • Options
    As you say Nug when your young, but King started this lot when he was over 20 and at any age hitting or assaulting a woman is wrong, and this is what has come to light, i.e. not swept under the carpet or not brought for prosecution or bought off who knows......

I can understand people having a go at you in a night club, but the facts are supposed to be he was in a club with his wife/partner and assaults a woman, hardly the conduct of a gentelman, especially the reason he was there for.

Gerrards case was not in the same league as this guy, as he was found innocent........whatever King is he is not that.......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]strange how Bowyer keeps croping up in these threads yet the charges were thrown out against him , and Woodgate was found guilty and then went onto play for England ?

From memory I think Bowyer has been found guilty of two offences around violence (one with racial overtones), not guilty of one (again with racism at the centre of it), and has served a ban for drug taking. Not exactly a role model throughout his career I think you have to agree although he seems (finally) to have realised what a privilaged position he is in.
  • Options
    I couldn't believe my ears when I heard his agent on the radio - asked for sympathy for poor Marlon and his family, but did not mention the victim once. He did not seem even remotely bothered by what he had done.

Football, being the moral hypocrite that it is, will embrace him again in 9 months time, and his agent his sleep like a baby.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Suprise, suprise he's appealing
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8333387.stm

Couple of great quotes by his agent confirming what we all think of him.

Mr Finnegan said: "No-one saw this coming in the light of the evidence. He's very, very disappointed." What the medical evidence of the injury and several people saying they saw him do it.

He added: "He's very, very disappointed - because clearly, as he said in his evidence, it's mistaken identity. Well that proves his innocence then!

"I asked Marlon and he said: 'I'm not guilty, Tony - I didn't do it. I want the British justice system to find me not guilty'." Yeah, that sounds like a direct quote from a footballer.
  • Options
    Out of him and Lee Hughes, both have committed terrible crimes (King on numerous occassions), but Hughes showed remorse and admitted guilt, also apparantly whilst inside Hughes did a lot of community based work and did try to improve his character (I read this in Adrian Chiles book on WBA). King clearly has never learned from his mistakes and will no doubt continue to show arrogance even when he is released. I am in no way condoning what Hughes did but he deserves a second chance a lot more than King ever will in my opinion.
    Fair play to Dave Whelan for sacking him but should really improve his business skills (he payed King 32k a week, what a joke that is)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]You take fit young teenagers with lots of testosterone, pay them more money in a week than their parents ever earned in a year... and - surprise, surprise - without proper mentoring and guidance they turn into selfish, abusive egomaniacs who go around saying 'do you know who I am' and smash people in the face when they don't get their own way.

King deserves 18 months for what he did - and another 18 months for his pathetic, cowardly lies claiming it was a case of mistaken identity.

But what does football do to educate the likes of Marlon King when they enter this world of grotesque money and privilege at an age when they don't know how to deal with it?

Some 25 years ago my good friend Kate Hoey - before she became an MP - was employed by Arsenal to educate its young players in life. Her 'pupils' included the teenage David Rocastle and Michael Thomas - whom, as far as I know, never gave anybody cause to criticise their conduct in any way whatsover. Her role was, quite simply, to teach them to cope with fame, adulation and money and remain decent human beings with proper values and their feet firmly planted on the ground at the same time. Arsenal felt it was important enough to pay her a substantial salary to do this.

Do clubs still do that sort of thing? I rather suspect not. And if they do, it clearly failed in the case of Marlon King.

Have to agree. You read the extracts from Roy Keane's book and it doesn't sound like a 35 year old bloke, but a twelve year old boy in the play ground with no understanding of the consequences of his actions
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Out of him and Lee Hughes, both have committed terrible crimes (King on numerous occassions), but Hughes showed remorse and admitted guilt, also apparantly whilst inside Hughes did a lot of community based work and did try to improve his character (I read this in Adrian Chiles book on WBA). King clearly has never learned from his mistakes and will no doubt continue to show arrogance even when he is released. I am in no way condoning what Hughes did but he deserves a second chance a lot more than King ever will in my opinion.
    Fair play to Dave Whelan for sacking him but should really improve his business skills (he payed King 32k a week, what a joke that is)

King punched someone in the face, Hughes killed someone FFS!

What planet are you on??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope the c*nt gets bummed in the shower!
  • Options
    Here Goes

I would have him here after this, Sexual assualt? From what i have read i will be corrected if i am shown otherwise, Marlon King grabbed the young ladies bottom, Yep that is wrong

but for example he never shoved his hand down her knickers or forced himself upon her,

lesson for all men there is dont you dare have a pat on a young womans arse or else you could be convicted of sexual assault.

But lets get it into context when you hear the words Sexual assault what is the first thought that comes into your head is it something more serious than touching someones bum, I know when i hear someone has been charged with sexual assault i do not think oh maybe someone touched someones back side i think that someone has done a whole lot more than that.

I am not saying that touching the ladies bum is not sexual assault,

It clearly is but the term conjures up in thought something a whole lot worse than that.

He punched the woman in the face breaking her nose, I would have been fuming if this had happed to anyone of my friends/family i would want the bastard beaten to death and if i am being honest if i had established that it wasa famous footballer that had done it well there would be no hiding place for that person, you could get hold of this clown as soon as you wanted and you could batter the fool.

However the real fact is someone will employ him and if in 12months time we are still short of a goal scorer in this league then i would seriously consider him, the same as i would have considered Lee Hughes

I wouldnt want a team vying with us to pick him up and let him fire the goals that get them out of this league.

You can all get mad at me but that is where i am at, it aint my club so therefore it wont happen.

Yes he is a scum bag, Yes 18months for doing that too a woman is not enough no way near enough and he should be in jail long enough so that his career is over.

but in reality he wont be, so either all Footballers get licensed and have to obey a code of conduct like boxers or racing drivers and if they break that code of conduct then they lose their license.

Someone will always re employ these scum bags and if they are going to score for us or against us i know what one i would pick.

I await the abuse
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Out of him and Lee Hughes, both have committed terrible crimes (King on numerous occassions), but Hughes showed remorse and admitted guilt, also apparantly whilst inside Hughes did a lot of community based work and did try to improve his character (I read this in Adrian Chiles book on WBA). King clearly has never learned from his mistakes and will no doubt continue to show arrogance even when he is released. I am in no way condoning what Hughes did but he deserves a second chance a lot more than King ever will in my opinion.
    Fair play to Dave Whelan for sacking him but should really improve his business skills (he payed King 32k a week, what a joke that is)[/quote]

What planet are you on??[/quote]

Sorry if my opinion is controversial. Obviously as one off crimes, Hughes was a lot worse, however in my opnion everyone deserves a second chance. King has had numerous convictions and 'second chances', he will no doubt have another one come next year and probably do something similar in future. Hughes made a terrible mistake and deserved the punishment, however from what I have read he has taken his second chance and tried to reform himself!
  • Options
    King shows no remorse and so is an unreformed scumbag. No doubt he will continue to treat people the same way when he gets out and I feel sorry for whoever is on the receiving end next time; because as sure as shit there will be a next time. Hughes appears genuinely repentant and that makes all the difference in my book. I'm not saying I would want him at the club either, though.

NLA, I'm sure he didn't just grab her arse; apparently it was a lot worse than that. Besides, you just don't go around doing stuff like that for God's sake - I'm sure it wasn't anything resembling the gentle humour of a carry on film - In fact, from what I can make out, it was a terrifying, sinister experience for the victim and King is clearly a creepy misogynist. I suppose King's problem is that he is too thick/too much of a scumbag to understand that it is not appreciated. Hence he punched her. Nice chap, obviously.

If he came to this club I would be disgusted. He is a scumbag, pure and simple.
  • Options
    half hour and no uproar maybe you all all agree
  • Options
    from what i have read that has been reported bigstemarra he grabbed her arse, i am not saying that is not sexual assault it clearly is, the first thought that comes to my mind in a sexual assault case is not that.

if king had not punched her in the face would the sexual assault case have been up held? I dont know that answer reading what he got jailed for his violence towards the woman was the main focus
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Out of him and Lee Hughes, both have committed terrible crimes (King on numerous occassions), but Hughes showed remorse and admitted guilt, also apparantly whilst inside Hughes did a lot of community based work and did try to improve his character (I read this in Adrian Chiles book on WBA). King clearly has never learned from his mistakes and will no doubt continue to show arrogance even when he is released. I am in no way condoning what Hughes did but he deserves a second chance a lot more than King ever will in my opinion.

What planet are you on??

Fair play to Whelan for sacking him LOL. I suppose it was nothing to do with Wigan being able to save themselves £32k a week, whilst King is in prison, what's that above £2.2M saved ? Yeah fair play for doing the noble thing LOL.
  • Options
    Marlon King - favourite hobby - punching women.

Marlon king's history:

• Options
    NLA _ I think we all assume you are on a wind-up. Please let it be the case!!

He's not even much of a goalscorer FFS!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]King punched someone in the face, Hughes killed someone FFS!

What planet are you on??
    I came on to say this.

WTF is the deal with showing remorse. Any scumbag can look sorry for what he's done for an hour for the benefit of the judge and press, particularly if he's facing 12 months of being bummed in the showers.

Remorse is overrated. I don't particularly care if criminals are sorry or not. The people that Hughes killed couldn't give a flying fk if the ginger scumbag is feeling a bit glum about ending their lives and ruining those of people dear to them.

Would I want either of them at Charlton - no, not really, they're scum.