Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Seen any good (or bad) films lately?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Semi-Pro was a lot better than i thought it would be.
    Watched it on Sunday - I think Ferrel works better in an ensemble cast rather than trying to carry the movie on his own.

Also saw "Walk Hard, the Dewey Cox Story" - funny film.
  • Options
    In Bruges. Superb film. A cross between Lock Stock, Sexy Beast and Father Ted
  • Options
    I went to see Made of Honour, with Patrick Dempsey and last week What happens in Vegas. Dunno what it is about Cameron Diaz, i just can't work out if i think she's good at acting or not!

not fussed about Sex in the City as didn't really watch the series, although when its on telly i'm sure i'll sit through it and chuckle. the trailer certainly did make me laugh.

I want to buy Juno on dvd though as heard it is awesome, any recommendations?
  • Options
    Juno - v. good.
  • Options
    Death at a Funeral - mildly amusing in a very Four Weddings way. More of a Razil film me thinks.

The midget in the film was much, much better in The Station Agent - which is a cracking tale.
  • Options
    Amores Perros - Watched this last night. Great film, excellent acting, good story. Would recommend.

Control - It was good. Very good.

My Super Ex-Girlfriend - Someone in my house got this for their birthday. Oh my god. Has anyone else seen it? Has to be one of the worst films ever made.
  • Options
    Saw 'The Mist' (Stephen King adaptation by the same fella who directed 'The Green Mile' and 'the Shawshank Redemption'). I thought it was utterly ****ing awesome - the ending in particular is superb. Acting is a bit ropy in places, and some of the CGI is overdone (only a tiny bit mind, most of it is superb) but the direction is top-class and, if you get the chance, watch the black & white version - it oozes atmosphere.
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited June 2008
    Recommend The Bucket List...Jack Nicholson just gets better with age...perfect foil in Morgan Freeman, excellent film 4 and a half stars.

The Diving Bell and the butterfly......quirky but brilliant, very sad end. 4 Stars

Charlie Wilsons Private war....Tom Hanks, not bad something to watch on a plane rather than a cozy night in. 2 and a half stars

Now if you like realism and fact based crime thrillers, I highly recommend you seek out an Aussie TV series now available on DVD called UNDERBELLY.....it was so good I watched all 13 hours of it over three nights. The real Sopranos, Aussie style.....excellent viewing. 5 Stars. Awesome sound track to boot
  • Options
    Odd feeling about There will be blood.....bloody awful film in the way it left me feeling...couldnt fault the acting, but hated the Daniel Day Lewis character....just a blood sucking lowlife...cant say that I felt entertained.....quite the opposite
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]
    My Super Ex-Girlfriend - Someone in my house got this for their birthday. Oh my god. Has anyone else seen it? Has to be one of the worst films ever made.
    Watched it on a plane about 18 months ago - absolutely awful!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its been out a while, but watched 'once' the other night , moving simple story, filmed on a hand camera, low budget, excellent music especially if you like nick drake/damien rice kinda stuff. ideal for cosy film watchin with the missus and a beer or two.
  • Options
    Watched Marie Besnard l'empoisonneuse, which we taped from BBC4, the other night - excellent film, based on a true story.

Went to see 88 Minutes the other week, also worth watching.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MariaCAFC[/cite]Watched a good one on Sat night on Sky Box Office called Captured (Or something like that - can't remember off the top of my head) Great twist to it!

It's Captivity hon :0)
  • Options
    Indianna Jones & The Crystal Skull - 6/10

Typical Family Fun with some excellent action scenes, but a completely ridiculous Ending spoilt it for me.
  • Options
    Anyone else seen the Dark Knight yet?

Went to see it last night, and thought it was excellent.

I know a lot of the hype was built up to do with Ledger's death, but I think the film does actually live up to the hype and I thought Ledger played the part of the Joker brilliantly.

Its hit home how sad his death is because he could really have gone on to become a true great in my opinion.

PS, I'm not a huge fan of Batman so don't ask me how this compares to past films!
  • Options
    Went to see Wall-E last night & am ashmed to admit quite enjoyed it. Not much Dialogue as the two main Character robots only say one word each all film, but story was good, recommended for both young & old kids.
  • Options
    Off to see Wall E tonight, and then the Dark Knight next week
  • Options
    Totally agree Ketman... Not quite up there with Toy Story but not far off. Off to see the Dark Knight Sunday.

Can reccommend - Juno, Before the Devil Knows Your're Dead, 30 Days of Night & No Country for Old Men for DVD/Blu-ray rentals
  • Options
    cinema- go see funny games, truley amazing dark film, shades of clockwork orange about it, 2 nutty youths take a family hostage, have seen the german orignal and the hollywood version is word for word the same, its dark, violent and will really make you think about the world we live in.

Home- Rent 'Be kind Rewind' one of the greatest films of all time imo, its made by Michele Gondre (french artist/director who started off making pop videos ;foo fighter, white stripes beck, then found fame with 'eternal sunshine of the spotless mind with jim carey) stars Jack Black and Mos Def, wont ruin it but the work in a crapy video store and all the tapes get deleted so they make there own versions!! looki out for ghost busters and driving miss daisy nearly wet myself at that point.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]
    The Diving Bell and the butterfly......quirky but brilliant, very sad end. 4 Stars

You're aware it's a true story? I agree, thought it was one of the best films I've seen lately.

Kenny - Australian (don't let that put you off) mockumentary about a guy out on the road who organises the portaloos at events. His philosophies on life (and taking a dump) are hilarious. Definitely well worth a rent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]

You're aware it's a true story? I agree, thought it was one of the best films I've seen lately.

Kenny - Australian (don't let that put you off) mockumentary about a guy out on the road who organises the portaloos at events. His philosophies on life (and taking a dump) are hilarious. Definitely well worth a rent.

Quailty film - ''Funny part is parents look at me and say 'that's not much of a job, is it?'. And I say 'well you had kids'. 'You spent the first two years handling their shit, and you weren't getting paid for that'. They shit green, the only things that should be green are pears, apples and Martians.''
  • Options
    Cant wait for this... looks bloody brillaint!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSI15ltIacI
  • Options
    Hancock was great but unfortunately missed the best bit according to my mates. They re-enacted it for me outside the cinema, got just a few strange looks.

One thats been on Sky recently. Will Ferrell film called 'Stranger Than Fiction'. Not his usual kind of film but absolutely loved this one. He hasn't made a film yet that I haven't enjoyed. Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Glynnenhal and Emma Thompson also make this a great watch.
  • Options
    Charlie Wilsons War - Superb

Worst film seen recently - 10,00000bc..awful, awful, awful
  • Options
    Took Barn Door Junior to see Kung Fu Panda on Wednesady.

Great family film.
  • Options
    Saw Batman last night and although well over hyped the Joker was one evil, sinsiter minister really well done by Heath Ledger, it's not an exageration when people say you want him to come back on the screen as he is a loony! Quality film all round.

The female lead looked bloody strange though and got stranger as the film went on, not sure why just looked a bit not right.
    Michael Caine was good too
  • Options
    There Will Be Blood - very very long - it should be called 'There will be backache' if you see it in an old cinema. It's a bit too long and drawn out but very impressively done.

Juno - I loved this. Could be considered a bit corny but I thought it was just a very nice story with nice music. Helps if you're expecting a baby as we were.

Les Premiers Cri - a French film. It's a very good documentary about birth but not for a visit to the cinema.

Control - got to be the best film ever about a band. If you like Joy Division you have to see it. Even if you don't it's a good film: atmospheric, good story and excellent acting

Death At a Funeral - a great farce. A must for comedy lovers

The best films I've seen at the cinema in the last few years are 'Control', 'Keeping Mum' and 'Scoop'
  • Options
    Saw the Dark Knight tonight. Awesome movie and Heath Ledger was unbelievably good. He is utterly convincing and chilling as that psychopath clown and in my view blew Jack Nicholson's Joker away. Will see again in IMAX.

Wall-E was very good from an animation and humour perspective.

Also really enjoyed Iron Man. Great action and was never into the Iron Man comic as a kid so was something I went to see with no pre-conceptions.

Fave films this year so far on DVD/Blu-Ray have been American Gangster, Tell No One (French thriller) and No County For Old Men.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Charlie Wilsons War - Superb

Worst film seen recently - 10,00000bc..awful, awful, awful

On Sky Box Office at the moment.
  • Options
    Saw Wall e - Thought it was OK but was spoiled for the last half our or so by my daughter announcing in a loud voice that "I'm really tired Dad and I want to go home now", every half a minute.

Saw Ironman - enjoyed the slightly raw edge to the story. The final half hour was just typical CGI stuff

Saw Kung Fu Panda - decent family light weight animated movie

Saw Indiana Jones and the Preposterous Film Title - Ok but not as good as Raiders or Last Crusade

Hoping to see Dark Knight - reviews have been mixed but always like to judge for myself