Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Flare.....

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]main risk was passing it over the small TV gantry in the north Lower. If there was a camera there for a Sky game and the flag hit it and knocked it over the rail he would do a lot of damage.

The chemicals stop is catching fire if someone holds a flare or a really hot flask up to it.[/quote]

Or boiled sweets, especially murray mints, pheeeew
  • Options
    That flag is a bloody nuisance to any toupe wearers out there - the danger of flag friction, syrup dislodgement is extremely high.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]do we have ultras? imagine the covered end all lit up with flares and scarves twirling.

I am the only Ultra in the North Stand :-)
  • Options
    Risk assessments ba humbug.

"without a measureless and perpetual uncertantity ,the drama of human life would be destroyed". Winston Churchill
  • Options
    CHG,

Im sure if we were in their position we would take 'decent' numbers away (although I seem to remember us selling approx 1k when we sealed the championship at Blackburn), the point is our away end may be full but it would be sat down, silent most of the time with the odd red army every now and then - pathetic!! And I honestly don't think we would take 2-2.5 k down to Bristol midweek for any league game!!
  • Options
    siddarn
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: The Organiser[/cite]I was more concerned (and embarrased) by our supports reaction to it. All booing as though we are perfect, wouldn't even dare to fart in a ground support. If only our support was more like theirs!
    So they through a flare, not the first time it's happened in the last week or so even. You often see them on the Kop at Anfield for European nights! Agreed it was a bit dodgy throwing it so far. I didn't think it would make it, but it did, no one died, they brought decent numbers, stood up and had a good time, which is what supporting your team is all about. Compare that to most of our away turnouts. I know what I would prefer!!!

Give me strength!! Somebody takes a pyrotechnic device to a football match and in a large crowd lights it and throws it forward from the back of a stand and all you can say is what was more concerning was our fans reaction. I am sad for you if you think that was OK. As somebody has already said, what if that flare had landed on somebody - still more concerned with our fans booing? This kind of mindless idiocy give football a bad name and has no place at football matches.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Organiser[/cite]I was more concerned (and embarrased) by our supports reaction to it. All booing as though we are perfect, wouldn't even dare to fart in a ground support. If only our support was more like theirs!
    So they through a flare, not the first time it's happened in the last week or so even. You often see them on the Kop at Anfield for European nights! Agreed it was a bit dodgy throwing it so far. I didn't think it would make it, but it did, no one died, they brought decent numbers, stood up and had a good time, which is what supporting your team is all about. Compare that to most of our away turnouts. I know what I would prefer!!!

Give me strength!! Somebody takes a pyrotechnic device to a football match and in a large crowd lights it and throws it forward from the back of a stand and all you can say is what was more concerning was our fans reaction. I am sad for you if you think that was OK. As somebody has already said, what if that flare had landed on somebody - still more concerned with our fans booing? This kind of mindless idiocy give football a bad name and has no place at football matches.

We may differ on the EU Bing but I'm 100% with you on this one!
  • Options
    Old enough to remember toilet roles being lobbed. Much better than water bottles etc i mean its difficult to do someone in with an Andex and 100 yards !! Mind you had a few near misses with Zale !!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

We may differ on the EU Bing but I'm 100% with you on this one!

The flares set off at some Italian matches is one of the aspects of EU life that I wouldn't sign up to Len!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is the Euro law on flares?

Was the flare produced in an EU country and does it meet EU regs.

Could we have a referendum on bringing flares in football grounds.

*stands back and waits for fight* : - )
  • Options
    I just knew this would all flare up.
  • Options
    You have to vote on it no "i choose not to" limp wristed stuff
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What is the Euro law on flares?

Was the flare produced in an EU country and does it meet EU regs.

Could we have a referendum on bringing flares in football grounds.

*stands back and waits for fight* : - )

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago....:-)
  • Options
    You are quite right the EU Flare is an import that we can do without.

Bring back the rattle and dont let Brussels tell us what size it should be either.

And I think the club should organise to give out replica flat caps to recreate the Valley atmosphere of old
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]You are quite right the EU Flare is an import that we can do without.

Bring back the rattle and dont let Brussels tell us what size it should be either.

And I think the club should organise to give out replica flat caps to recreate the Valley atmosphere of old

I had a rattle as a kid in the sixties.

When did they get banned / go out of fashion?

I don't remember them in the seventies.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]You are quite right the EU Flare is an import that we can do without.

I had a rattle as a kid in the sixties.

When did they get banned / go out of fashion?

I don't remember them in the seventies.

I think they went out when Nintendo's for toddlers came in Len....:-)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Old enough to remember toilet roles being lobbed. Much better than water bottles etc i mean its difficult to do someone in with an Andex and 100 yards !! Mind you had a few near misses with Zale !!!!

GH, from memory a Colchester fan threw one at Layer Road earlier on this season. My 8 year old said "Dad that looks like a toilet roll". I said "that's cos it is one" and then I went all misty eyed about the old days, the peanut man, the snack sellers walking round the pitch at the valley and things we much better when I was a lad etc.....:-)
  • Options
    Weren't the rolls of paper that went on an old fashioned calculator and bus conductors ticket rolls very good for throwing as well.

Or so I heard ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Risk assessments ba humbug.

"without a measureless and perpetual uncertantity ,the drama of human life would be destroyed". Winston Churchill

That is very true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Weren't the rolls of paper that went on an old fashioned calculator and bus conductors ticket rolls very good for throwing as well.

Or so I heard ; - )

I don't remember they were right out of our price bracket, we were even too poor for toilet rolls....;-) Still we were 'appy in those days though!.......
  • Options
    At Millwall they used to throw toilet rolls but they still had the toilet door attached.

(heard this on the radio I'm sure. Where did I nick it from)
  • Options
    It would be nice to see people putting in as much effort supporting the home team as they did condoning the away.
    The incident happened in their end and involved their supporters. Let them deal with it.
    The requirement to boo them typifies us.
    Lighten up....
  • Options
    While we are clearly on the subject of toilet rolls does anybody remember that heavy duty almost opaque stuff that if I recall rightly was in schools or hospitals.... or other public places....Im getting on to some dodgy territory here.... anyway it did my arse in big time. Im sure it had a brand name a bit like Izale and I dont mean that unkindly to Mr Mcleod.
  • Options
    GOVERNMENT PROPERTY
    please wash your hands
  • Options
    It was called Izal.
  • Options
    Thats really scary. Well if he ever comes back we must get some thrown out of respect.

Hes fast he s quick he takes it up the arse. Izaleeeeeeeee

Sorry thats probably out of order
  • Options
    "You're not fit to wipe my arse" would be a better if totally uncalled for song.

I quite liked him as a player. Shame he's been injured so may not get many games at Colchester now as I was hoping he would get a few and come back to help us get promotion
  • Options
    I didnt mean any unkindness to Izale particularly as he is now injured.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It was called Izal.

or Izal Medicated Toilet Tissue to give it it's proper title.....