Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Goal Against Charlton Ever?

Comments

• Options
    Stop it, stop it, stop it! Look at DA9's link - the Van Persie goal was a bloody miskick, it hit him half way up his shin for chrissakes. Spawny little twat.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Stop it, stop it, stop it! Look at DA9's link - the Van Persie goal was a bloody miskick, it hit him half way up his shin for chrissakes. Spawny little twat.

Calm down P., lol, it still looked a brilliant goal at the time.
  • Options
    Yes D, but I pointed this out in March when the thread originally started, and people are still claiming it's a classic. Grrr ;-)
  • Options
    LOL
  • Options
    The goal Stoke scored in the League Cup game, mentioned below........

A few seasons ago we were playing Stoke in the 2nd leg of the Coca Cola cup, with the full time whistle about to blow it was something like 5-5 on aggregate. so I told Razil who was sitting next to me, that we were going to go out on away goals & he got up and made an early exit...........

Unfortunately i had misinterpreted the rules & the game went into extra time with Razil blissfully strolling down Woolwich Road - i think he eventually realised and furiously made his way back - he still maintains to this day that i did it deliberately but Razil can i publically assure you it was a genuine, if extremely amusing, mistake..

we lost anyway
  • Options
    Paul Davis at Highbury, 2-2 MACKENZIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As we left the ground that night my feet didn't touch the ground as we were packed like sardines.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: theeenorth[/cite]Paul Davis at Highbury, 2-2 MACKENZIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As we left the ground that night my feet didn't touch the ground as we were packed like sardines.[/quote]

Good night that was, the word was creeping out about the return to The Valley and there was a real buzz in the Charlton ranks. Add to that the result and it was pretty well perfect.
  • Options
    Brad Friedel's goal for Blackburn. Not a bad strike for a keeper!
  • Options
    It was almost Bruce Rioch who made the bar shudder when he shot so hard that no one actually moved. I think it was a League Cup game.
  • Options
    Yes,I remember Rioch's rocket, right at the end of the game. It was the F.A Cup '69/'70 and would have got Villa a 1-1 draw and another replay after 1-1 up there in the first game. Think Harry Gregory got the winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seem to remember some Dutch bloke score for Huddersfield at the Valley....can't remember his name but as sweet a strike as you'll ever see !!! or am i imagining it ???

Other than that its the other Dutch bloke for the Gooners !
  • Options
    Yea Van persies volley for me i think (cheekiest goal the thierry Henry Backheal at Highbury that was embarassing for all concerned)
  • Options
    Good Move and a good way to humiliate London rivals :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDD89Gbo5hw
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Stop it, stop it, stop it! Look at DA9's link - the Van Persie goal was a bloody miskick, it hit him half way up his shin for chrissakes. Spawny little twat.

Couldn't agree more Algarve - there's been loads better goals than that scored against us and Bartlett's was a far better goal to boot! Henry's was just one of those playground things that 99 times out of 100 ends up wide or to the keeper. Enough with the Arsenal love in perleeese....
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: essbee[/cite]Seem to remember some Dutch bloke score for Huddersfield at the Valley....can't remember his name but as sweet a strike as you'll ever see !!! or am i imagining it ???

Clive Wineyard or similar spelling, scored a fine volley in their 1-0 win April 2000. How they won though is beyond me, think we hit the bar and their keeper made a couple fo worly saves!
  • Options
    Clyde Wijnhard was yer man.

PS: Paul Davis's diving header for me takes some beating. Gerry Harrison's last minute winner from 30 yards for Bristol C or Kenny Lowe's 35 yarder for Birmingham in Barry Fry's first match were up there in the net buster category.
  • Options
    What I can't stand about all the big sides, but Arsenal in particular is that Goals like Van Persie's and Henry's backheel are constantly raved about by all and sundry - creaming themselves over the beautiful play, yet allowing the facts to be conveniently ignored (ie VP miskicked it and Henry fouling Fortune) while a genuinely deliberate and brilliant goal is scored BY Charlton AGAINST Arsenal, yet doesn't even get goal of the month and is forgotten by everyone bar Charlton supporters.
    I give you -

Claus Jensen to make it 3-1 at Highbury. Absolute genius.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]What I can't stand about all the big sides, but Arsenal in particular is that Goals like Van Persie's and Henry's backheel are constantly raved about by all and sundry - creaming themselves over the beautiful play, yet allowing the facts to be conveniently ignored (ie VP miskicked it and Henry fouling Fortune) while a genuinely deliberate and brilliant goal is scored BY Charlton AGAINST Arsenal, yet doesn't even get goal of the month and is forgotten by everyone bar Charlton supporters.
    I give you -

Amen
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]What I can't stand about all the big sides, but Arsenal in particular is that Goals like Van Persie's and Henry's backheel are constantly raved about by all and sundry - creaming themselves over the beautiful play, yet allowing the facts to be conveniently ignored (ie VP miskicked it and Henry fouling Fortune) while a genuinely deliberate and brilliant goal is scored BY Charlton AGAINST Arsenal, yet doesn't even get goal of the month and is forgotten by everyone bar Charlton supporters.
    I give you -

Amen

Also El Kakouri's free kick against them.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I give you -

Funny that, as I was reading this and before I got to the end I was thinking of Jensen's goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2011
    RedRobin,
    I grant you, El Karkouri's goal against Arse was also very good.
    However, Jensen's angled lob sits for me as, by some considerable distance, the best goal I've ever seen live.
    Rockets from distance, cheeky improvisations and postage stamp free kicks are all fantastic to watch and great goals in their own right, but Jensen takes the cake for me. Yet somehow, Jon Arne Riise, with a rocket shot from distance, won goal of the month that month (because he played for Liverpool, maybe?) and Claus' moment was consigned to the scrapheap. No doubt nobody could believe such skill could be displayed by a Charlton player and figured it must, therefore, be a fluke. Despite the fact that he looked up, saw nobody in the box and simply COULDN'T have been meaning to do anything else. Precision, vision, disguise and execution - all absolutely perfect.

Still rankles, as I'm sure you can all tell.
    :-(
  • Options
    I seem to remember Bruce Rioch cracking home a fantastic goal at The Valley.
  • Options
    Pablo Counago scored a back-heel which flew in from around the edge of the area c.2007 at The Valley. A great goal and one that's feels far easier to admire since (i think) we still won the game. Tried to find it on You Tube but to no avail.
  • Options
    I have no idea what the best goal was, but I can say without hesitation what the best hat-trick against us was (although I never knew it at the time). Robert Earnshaw's for West Brom, in 2005. Without that we'd have never had that terrific day when we sent the Palarse down!
  • Options
    Earnshaw was on fire that day, I still think given the right club and a run in the side whe would be a decent top flight striker. I would dearly have loved him to have come to us and I think it was on the cards a few times over the years....aahh if only!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]RedRobin,
    I grant you, El Karkouri's goal against Arse was also very good.
    However, Jensen's angled lob sits for me as, by some considerable distance, the best goal I've ever seen live.
    Rockets from distance, cheeky improvisations and postage stamp free kicks are all fantastic to watch and great goals in their own right, but Jensen takes the cake for me. Yet somehow, Jon Arne Riise, with a rocket shot from distance, won goal of the month that month (because he played for Liverpool, maybe?) and Claus' moment was consigned to the scrapheap. No doubt nobody could believe such skill could be displayed by a Charlton player and figured it must, therefore, be a fluke. Despite the fact that he looked up, saw nobody in the box and simply COULDN'T have been meaning to do anything else. Precision, vision, disguise and execution - all absolutely perfect.

Still rankles, as I'm sure you can all tell.
    :-(

I agree, Jensen's was the better goal, but just thought El Kakouri's was worth a mention. That Jensen goal is second only to Mendonca's 3rd in '98 for me.
  • Options
    Early 70's, Charlton v QPR, FA Cup 3rd Round, 2-0 up after 20 minutes when Rodney 'is a fairy' Marsh scrambles one then collects the ball 30 yards out, turns, feints left, feints right and then curls a shot into the top right cornet of the net, the ball just hangs there trapped behind the stanchion...

Needless to say we went on to lose, Barry Bridges winner I think, best cup game I've ever seen, 33,000 crowd too..!
  • Options
    Gobsmack how many peeps saing RVP volle was a shinner lol suppose you're all saying same about Rooneys.
  • Options
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's goal for Man U at the Valley in the 3-3 draw. Ryan Giggs lobbed it from halfway which hit the bar and came down and Solskjaer's swept it home in one motion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Gobsmack how many peeps saing RVP volle was a shinner lol suppose you're all saying same about Rooneys.

No, because RVP did shin it and Rooney didn't.
    Here's a simple way to tell; watch the footage carefully and you'll see that it came off RVP's shin.
    Don't know why that makes you laugh out loud to be honest.
    :-P