Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Goal Against Charlton Ever?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Gary Mickelwhite for QPR.
    As I recall, a corner kick came to him in the air at the edge of the penalty area and he did an amazing overhead kick on the volley that screamed into the far top corner of the net.
    Stunning goal.
    Sadly, I have a poor memory and it was probably a tap in from 1 yard...........
  • Options
    Clive Mendoncas overhead kick for Grimsby against us at the Valley. Think he scored a hat trick. Closely followed by Van Persies screamer. I was right behind it in the east stand. Quality.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Why do so many people not understand the thread title. Not exactly a complex set of instructions: Best Goal Against Charlton Ever?

Does not include goals in games that did not involve Charlton
    Does not include goals scored by Charlton
    Does not include anything else in the universe that isn't a goal e.g. a basketball slam dunk, a lovely sunset or a bloke finding a magic teapot.
  • Options
    It still amazes me that people remember that terry henry backheel.
    He was pulling back Fortune's shirt .It shouldn't have counted.

RVP volley- shinner all day long.

Patrick Berger scored the best goal against us in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Our very own Johnnie Jackson scored a decent goal against us at The Valley a few years back when playing for Spurs.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]It still amazes me that people remember that terry henry backheel.
    He was pulling back Fortune's shirt .It shouldn't have counted.

RVP volley- shinner all day long.

Patrick Berger scored the best goal against us in my opinion.

I was in the West for Berger's goal almost level with him and it was a cracker!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's goal for Man U at the Valley in the 3-3 draw. Ryan Giggs lobbed it from halfway which hit the bar and came down and Solskjaer's swept it home in one motion.

It was a well taken finish, but quite clearly not the best goal against charlton ever... (if the original shot had gone in, then yes probably it would have been)

I remember wright-phillips scoring a screamer against us when we were in the PL, that was a good finish...

still think RvPs or bergers goals were the best...
  • Options
    Patrick Berger's or David Thompson's volley for Blackburn in the League Cup
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's goal for Man U at the Valley in the 3-3 draw. Ryan Giggs lobbed it from halfway which hit the bar and came down and Solskjaer's swept it home in one motion.

It was a well taken finish, but quite clearly not the best goal against charlton ever... (if the original shot had gone in, then yes probably it would have been)

I remember wright-phillips scoring a screamer against us when we were in the PL, that was a good finish...

It is all subjective, your favourite goals were just players hitting the ball. Giggs showed great presence of mind and imagination to see Kiely off his line and a near perfect execution. Solkjaer's ability and speed to be on hand, then to hit the ball first time into the net should not be underestimated.
  • Options
    Graham Sharpe (Everton) vs Charlton at Selhurst Park 198o-something! Cracker!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Why do so many people not understand the thread title. Not exactly a complex set of instructions: Best GoalAgainstCharlton Ever?

Does not include goals in games that did not involve Charlton
    Does not include goals scored by Charlton
    Does not include anything else in the universe that isn't a goal e.g. a basketball slam dunk, a lovely sunset or a bloke finding a magic teapot.

Also does not include rants about sticking to the thread title - including a list of topics you don't want to hear about in an attempt to be amusing while ignoring the fact that threads evolve as the debate widens
  • Options
    Paul Mortimer, at Filbert Street, 1991, just after half time, cracking header from around the penalty spot i recall. Very obvious that no-one had told him we had now swapped ends. Think we drew 1-1
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]

It is all subjective, your favourite goals were just players hitting the ball. Giggs showed great presence of mind and imagination to see Kiely off his line and a near perfect execution. Solkjaer's ability and speed to be on hand, then to hit the ball first time into the net should not be underestimated.

Giggs did show great presence of mind and imagination etc...but the fact it, it hit the crossbar and thus wasnt a goal...

How many times do you see a striker react to the ball hitting the wood work and then slotting it in....you wouldnt say they were great goals would you?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Early 70's, Charlton v QPR, FA Cup 3rd Round, 2-0 up after 20 minutes when Rodney 'is a fairy' Marsh scrambles one then collects the ball 30 yards out, turns, feints left, feints right and then curls a shot into the top right cornet of the net, the ball just hangs there trapped behind the stanchion...

Needless to say we went on to lose, Barry Bridges winner I think, best cup game I've ever seen, 33,000 crowd too..!

Don't remember that, are you sure ?
    I thought we lost 0-3 to QPR in the League Cup at The Valley in the mid 70's, midweek game, with a 32,000 crowd. I thought Don Given scored twice & Dave Thomas scored a lateish goal with a 30 yard screamer. Rodney Marsh & Barry Bridges were well before this.
    What game are you referring to, does anyone remember this ?