Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Official 2008 Baseball Season Thread

Comments

• Options
    Midseason/All Star Game break - the two best teams are the LA Dodgers and the Cubs who are at .600

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp
  • Options
    Has to be Chicago White Sox - the first team I saw play for real - and regular failures (though not this year)
  • Options
    tampa bay leading the AL wildcard chase :) playoffs here we come!!*

*speaks too soon
  • Options
    The Mets are stinking the place out. Sacked their Manager etc etc

The Sox look strong, so do the Cubs but they have a history of choking.
  • Options
    Got to be BoSox again, finally caught up with Tampa after quite a while sitting in 2nd. Can't believe the Mets, totally different team to the one I saw get hammered by Milwaukee, couple of mates were at their game last night, 7-0 victory over the Rockies and 9 wins in a row. Be nice to see them in playoffs with that horrible team from the Bronx missing out altogether
  • Options
    I like Milwaukee a lot, Price Fielder and Bill Hall are top quality players.

The Rays look strong too.

The baseball there has become like the Premiership though, there are aren't that many attractive teams to watch.
  • Options
    Memphis Redbirds for me.......few very drunk nights there....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Midseason/All Star Game break - the two best teams are the LA Dodgers and the Cubs who are at .600

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp

The evil Dodgers are on .484 (46-49)

My beloved Giants are way behind, but still far from the worst team in MLB, as was predicted by many before the start of the season.
  • Options
    Cardinals are blowing it again after coming strong. Could still make a wild card place.
  • Options
    Cubs v White Sox world series bound to happen now I've left the city.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a Boston Fan staying with me at the moment and he says since they broke the 'Curse of the Bambino' he is already bored with their success and wants the Cubs to win as they have gone a 100 yrs since last winning.

He would rather Boston be a bit less successful as he does not want them to rank alongside the Yankees as evil clubs.

He is saying it was great to see it happen after 40 years of support (wining it twice in quick succession is a bit much) but is happy to wait for a next title in ten years time.
  • Options
    Spoken like a true American sports fan ;-)

Love the Cubs to win it - it is 100 years this season since their last 'world series' title.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So with only 9 or so games to go could be looking at two possible "subway" world series with both teams in Chicago and LA set for the post season games.

In the national league East it's either the NY Mets or the Philadelphia.

In the National Central the Chicago Cubs are almost there being 9 games ahead of the Milwaukee Brewers

THe national West is between the Dodgers or Arizona but LA are 3.5 game ahead.

Over in the American East is very close (1.5 games) between Tampa Bay and the Boston Red Sox

The American Central sees the Chicago White Sox 2.5 ahead of the Twins

While in the West the LA Angels wrapped it up ages ago and are 19 game ahead.

The wild cards (best runner ups) look like going to Philly or Milwaukee

Officially the worst team are Seattle.

Post season set to start on 2 October and the World series on 22 October
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So Lifers still in with a shout are

Off It - Milwauke Brewers
    Algarve - SF Gaints
    TCE - Tampa Bay Rays
    Solidgone - Pittsburgh Pirates
    Ketman - New York Yankees
    Trickyrickey - Tampa Bay Rays
    BlackForestRed - Chicago Cubs
    Len Glover - Cincinnati Reds
    Henry Irving - St Louis Cardinals
    Peanuts Malloy - St Louis Cardinals
    Paddy Powell - Chicago White Sox
    Chicago Addick - Chicago Cubs

Pickwick - Oakland As
    VancouverAddick - Montreal Expos
    Eltham Addick - New York Mets
    Stone Muse - Cincinnati Reds
    Gump - Texas Rangers
    FloydandHarvey - Boston Red Sox
    Rothko - Brooklyn Dodgers
    NSS - Atlanta Braves
    AFKA BArtram - Washington Senators
    WSS - Baltimore Orioles
    Leroy Ambrose - Boston Red Sox
    Killer's Beard - Oakland As
    NorthLondonAddick - Texas Rangers
    RedPete - Boston Red Sox
    Colthe3rd - Boston Red Sox

MCS - Bsoton Red Sox
    Swisdom - NY Mets
    NSS - Tampa Bay
  • Options
    The Cubs are having a storming season - needing nine wins for a 100 win season, a couple of nights ago they came back from 6-2 in the bottom of the ninth with two outs to win.

On form they should meet the Mets to decide who goes forward to the World Series.
  • Options
    Whilst in San Diego recently, I caught the Dodgers at the Padres at Petco Park.

Was privileged to see the great Manny Ramirez slug one out of the park.

Dodgers won 6-2.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: trickyrickycafc[/cite]Whilst in San Diego recently, I caught the Dodgers at the Padres at Petco Park.

Was privileged to see the great Manny Ramirez slug one out of the park.

Dodgers won 6-2.

Didn't know you were in San Diego. How does a tax dogding student house husband manage that? : - )
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]The Cubs are having a storming season - needing nine wins for a 100 win season, a couple of nights ago they came back from 6-2 in the bottom of the ninth with two outs to win.

On form they should meet the Mets to decide who goes forward to the World Series.

At least the Cardinals just beat the Cubs in both games of a double header including a grand slam.
  • Options
    A flash in the pan for the Cards, their season has gone nowhere.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]A flash in the pan for the Cards, their season has gone nowhere.[/quote]

Indeed but there is still a very faint hope of a wild card and then next season.

For all it's faults the American system does give each of the Major league sides a chance every year.

30 team Premier League divided into six divisions with five team each anyone. 6 winners plus two best runners up go into end of season play offs.

20 Current Prem teams plus the top ten from this season Championship. And then that is it. No promotion or relegation. TV money split equally 30 ways.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Go Rays, Go Rays.
    My well thought out selection ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The windy city is getting pretty excited about "dose cubbies."

Btw Henry, it will be an 'L' world series if the two Chicago teams make it through.
  • Options
    The damned Yankees are moving out of their stadium this year:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/20/usa
  • Options
    Black forest come on son this has been general knowledge for at least a year ;-)

Henry this is a shite thread,i picked a team who are worse than Charlton and spent my 2 weeks in the states (in may)
    watching baseball every night on the box much the the missus disgust.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Black forest come on son this has been general knowledge for at least a year ;-)

Henry this is a shite thread,i picked a team who are worse than Charlton and spent my 2 weeks in the states (in may)

Thanks NSS!

You will be pleased to hear that Henry Jnr's team aren't getting their new shirts until at least October now. Should have stuck with the old supplier.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]The windy city is getting pretty excited about "dose cubbies."

Btw Henry, it will be an 'L' world series if the two Chicago teams make it through.

I guess then at LA would be a Freeway Series. Is L the L train or is it El as in Elevated?
  • Options
    L for loop, the elevated train that loops around downtown Chicago. Think of the car chase scene from the Blues Brothers and you'll know what I mean.

Anyway the Cubs wrapped up the NL Central last night.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Black forest come on son this has been general knowledge for at least a year ;-)

watching baseball every night on the box much the the missus disgust.[/quote]

Thanks NSS!

You will be pleased to hear that Henry Jnr's team aren't getting their new shirts until at least October now. Should have stuck with the old supplier.[/quote]

well pleased they shite on me and are getting their comuppence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Black forest come on son this has been general knowledge for at least a year ;-)

Thanks NSS!

You will be pleased to hear that Henry Jnr's team aren't getting their new shirts until at least October now. Should have stuck with the old supplier.

well pleased they shite on me and are getting their comuppence.

I did make that point Sunday morning but it's not the guys who run Henry jnr's team that make the decisions.

Maybe a polite phone call to rub it in : -)
  • Options
    san deigo padres are my team even if they are shite and i've seen them home and away
  • Options
    So the regualar season is over with the Chicago White Sox winning a one -off divisional decider over the Twins

So the play-offs look like this

American League

White Sox v Rays and Red Sox v Angels Winners play for the AL championship

National League

Brewers v Phillies and Dodgers v Cubs Winners play for the NL Championship

The two Champions then contest the best of seven game World Series