Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sisters Brothers is less than £6 on amazon.
  • Options
    IQ84,Murakami,  brilliant 
  • Options
    @IdleHans Cheers, close on to getting my kindle so I'll DL on xmas day!
  • Options
    Now reading The Reversal by Michael Connelly, the third book featuring Mickey Haller. Gripping as always. 
  • Options
    Sisters Brothers is less than £6 on amazon.
    And £4.99 at the Book People
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Steve Jobs .. Walter Isaacson .. how did he do it ? ... just watched the Steve Jobs story a lá Evan Davies on BBCiplayer .. the programme pretty much is a precis of the Isaacson book
  • Options
    The Outsider By Albert Camus
  • Options
    Just started reading The Lost Symbol on my new Kindle e-reader. Bought War Horse for £3.19 which is next.
  • Options
    What is that like Len?  Camus is one of those writers I've never got around to, but always thought I should.
  • Options
    What is that like Len?  Camus is one of those writers I've never got around to, but always thought I should.
    Essential reading for Charlton fans!

Bleak, depressing but nevertheless an uncomfortable ring of truth and thus compulsive.

Only 116 pages or so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Essential reading for Charlton fans!

Bleak, depressing but nevertheless an uncomfortable ring of truth and thus compulsive.

Only 116 pages or so.
    Camus was an absurdist philosopher and goalkeeper... perfect combination for certain Charlton line-ups
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cheers Len/Oliver, I'll put it on my list then - only 116 pages was the clincher ;-)
  • Options
    I think you should avoid Camus like The Plague.
  • Options
    Any particular reason?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One of his best, a masterful mystery - just received a signed copy for New Year's present!
    Less surreal than usual, but so 'unputdownable' I'm just willing away the months until the next part is published.
  • Options
    Perfect People - Peter James, love his Roy Grace books this is a stand alone novel very interesting so far
  • Options
    One of his best, a masterful mystery - just received a signed copy for New Year's present!
    Less surreal than usual, but so 'unputdownable' I'm just willing away the months until the next part is published.
    Book 3 if that is the part your waiting for ,is already out, just read my sons copy, and wishing there was still more to come.
  • Options
    I think you should avoid Camus like The Plague.

LOL
  • Options
    Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    Charlton Life
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Syd Barrett - A Very Irregular Head" by Rob Chapman
  • Options
    Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
    classic, my neice is studying US culture at uni and KV is a prescribed author .. me ? .. I'm reading Kate Atkinson's Human Croquet and Deborah Cohen's Household Goods
  • Options
    Åsnebrygga by Sven Delblanc, diary of a Swedish visiting professor at Berkeley in the late 60's. Really interesting. Don't think his work is at all translated into English though.
    Russendisko by Wladimir Kaminer (available as Russian Disco in English). Little tidbits about an emigrated Russian and his life in Berlin among other expats and Germans. Hilarious at points!

Want to get into the Camus you're talking about up there!
  • Options

All about Adam (depressing) started last night Black Narcissus - Rumer Godden

• Options
    Working my way through Jo Nesbo's books. Great reads in the Stieg Larsson mode..
  • Options
    Nearly finished  the Sisters Brothers. Very enjoyable book with a bit of depth to it, my personal favourite of the Booker shortlist.  Apart from Cormac McCarthy I don't think I've ever read a western before but may explore it a bit now. Anyone got any recommendations - was going to start with Elmore Leonard.
  • Options
    Curbs Autobiography - Chrissy presents from my kids

The collection of Spike Milligans War memoirs - Chrissy present from my outlaws.

Both really good reads but for different reasons.
  • Options

The collection of Spike Milligans War memoirs - Chrissy present from my outlaws.

I don't know how far you have got - but things notably took a darker tone after he got injured at Monte Cassino, which helps to explain a lot of his later problems with depression, the way he was treated by his superiors was appalling regardless.
  • Options
    I finished Hellhounds on his Trail recently....i cannot recommend this book highly enough - a really gripping account of the assassination of MLK - although i still have major doubts about what it purports to have happened is actually true...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hellhound-his-Trail-Stalking-International/dp/0718192060/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325781005&sr=8-2

• Options

Over the last couple of weeks I've read: Stieg Larrson - Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Mark Kermode - The Good the Bad and the Multiplex which was a cracking read.

Now reading The Fear Index by Robert Harris which is going quite well at the minute, don't usually read this sort of stuff so quite surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.