Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2012
    American Gods is seriously weird, 'On The Road' on acid .... Welsh ? .. superb
  • Options
    American gods is great ... although prefer Neverwhere by Gaiman
  • Options
    Jo Nesbo
    Harry Hole is a great character.
  • Options
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick
  • Options
    Agreed Stonemuse. Neverwhere was brilliant. I have Anansi Boys and Smoke & Mirrors still to read.

Read Stardust years ago and never really followed up on Gaiman. Wish I had done.
  • Options
    Both good Clem especially smoke and mirrors ... have all of Gaiman's work ... Always enjoyed it ... Sandman in particular
  • Options
    Loved Sandman, but thought Anansi Boys was a bit throwaway.

Reading Oscar and Lucinda by Carey atm, excellent novel, dunno why it has sat lonely on my bookshelf for 15 years
  • Options
    Been meaning to read Oscar and lucinda for a while ... may finally give it a try
  • Options
    Yep out of the Gaiman books, I think I enjoyed Neverwhere the most.
  • Options
    Anyone given 'The Cats Table' Michael Ondaatge a read ? I thought it was enjoyable read but lacked some of the grit and magic of his other books such as The Skin of a Lion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With you on that, Wolfboy.

Half way through " The Leopard" and wishing there were more books out there to look forward to.
  • Options
    Just finished War by Sebastian Junger. Unputdownable!
  • Options
    Am reading Ernest Shackleton's account of his Antartic Expedition in 1914 when the boat was crushed and he had to cross the seas in open boats. Not a single man was lost despite terrible hardships. Comes across as a most extraordinary leader in whom his men placed total trust. I wonder if the same level of trust could happen nowadays.
  • Options
    Am reading Ernest Shackleton's account of his Antartic Expedition in 1914 when the boat was crushed and he had to cross the seas in open boats. Not a single man was lost despite terrible hardships. Comes across as a most extraordinary leader in whom his men placed total trust. I wonder if the same level of trust could happen nowadays.
    One of the men in the boat was called Thomas Crean, he also sailed with Scott. There is a realy good book about his life at sea.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Crean_(explorer)
  • Options
    Cheers Guinness I'll track it down. What an amazing bunch they were. Now they really were hard men.
  • Options
    Dominic Sandbrook - the way we were: Britain 1970-74
    Still reading this but now also reading the second Stieg Larrson book as I was getting bored reading about 1970s town planning and environmentalism.
  • Options
    Moneyball. The Art of Winning an Unfair Game. A very enjoyable read about the Oakland A's and their path to becoming a successfull baseball team. And you don't really need to know a lot about baseball to enjoy the book.
  • Options
    I've read "Never had it so good" & White Heat"
  • Options
    If you like that kind of thing, you would enjoy David Kynaston's series "Tales of A New Jerusalem" . First one is Austerity Britain 1945-51 and the next Family Britain 1951-1959 (I think). He's going to run it up to 1979.

Really good mix of politics, popular culture, archirtecture etc etc with very well-selected quotes from letters and diaries of ordinary people.

• Options
    Re-reading Graham Greene's Brighton Rock, trying to get rid of the bad taste of that travesty of a film shown on TV the other night. How the hell did a book written in the 1930s end up with Mods and Rockers as the backdrop?

Anyway, I am reassured to find the book is as excellent as I remember. The most compelling aspect of Greene's book is his exploration, as a Roman Catholic, of the themes of sin and atonement, which were virtually ignored in the film.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't it written when he was realising the the hypocrisy of the religion he had been brainwashed into? Enjoyable read.

I am reading "Can't be Arsed" by Richard Wilson (the TV producer, not the actor). It's a list of reasons why you are wasting your time making lists of things to do before you die. Very funny in places.
  • Options
    im reading the flashman books by george macdonald fraser... what a complete lout!
  • Options
    Wasn't it written when he was realising the the hypocrisy of the religion he had been brainwashed into? Enjoyable read.
    Greene wasn't brainwashed into Catholicism. He was converted in his twenties.
  • Options
    In tune with all the current Dickens celebrations, I am re-reading Dombey & Son, not Dickens's greatest novel but nevertheless one of my favourites.
  • Options
    im reading the flashman books by george macdonald fraser... what a complete lout!
    These are legendary. I'm reading neuromancer by William Gibson. I can't believe I've left it this long! I can see where the matrix knicked its ideas from!
  • Options
    If you like that kind of thing, you would enjoy David Kynaston's series "Tales of A New Jerusalem" . First one is Austerity Britain 1945-51 and the next Family Britain 1951-1959 (I think). He's going to run it up to 1979.

Really good mix of politics, popular culture, archirtecture etc etc with very well-selected quotes from letters and diaries of ordinary people.

I've read Never had it so good and White Heat also. I think Sandbrook is taking it to 79 and possibly further. Sandbrook was useful to read at Uni when I did an essay on the Sixties as a conservative decade and another one on comparisons between race relations in the uk and us during the 60s.
    I've got through the boring chapter on Environmentalism, after that came Ulster and Immigration, far more interesting. On to the Unions now. Poor old Heath he didn't have much luck.
  • Options
    Greene wasn't brainwashed into Catholicism. He was converted in his twenties.
    Oops... Did he not then change his mind again later, or am I dreaming that too?

• Options
    I don't think so althogh he was never a very othodox Catholic. He became very left-wing as he got older and was criticial of the catholic hierachy. He can't really be compared with other Catholic writers of the time like Maugham and Waugh.
  • Options
    Cheers for putting me right Jints.
  • Options
    Not at all, easy mistake to make.