Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    The Bromley Boys by Dave Roberts. The worst ever year in the history of Bromley FC as seen through the eyes of its most devoted (14 year old) fan. Very funny and self-deprecating
  • Options
    The Bromley Boys by Dave Roberts. The worst ever year in the history of Bromley FC as seen through the eyes of its most devoted (14 year old) fan. Very funny and self-deprecating
    Just had a look on amazon. Good reviews, might give it a go at some stage.
  • Options
    A cracking read that, Legal. Loved it.
  • Options
    The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco. Fictional tale surrounding the origins of the forged Protocols Of The Elders Of Zion document.

Like the Da Vinci Code for adults.
  • Options
    The fifth witness, Michael Connelly. Another Micky Haller book. Great courtroom drama.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    IQ84,Murakami,  brilliant 
    One of his best, a masterful mystery - just received a signed copy for New Year's present!
    Less surreal than usual, but so 'unputdownable' I'm just willing away the months until the next part is published.
    Book 3 if that is the part your waiting for ,is already out, just read my sons copy, and wishing there was still more to come.
    Brilliant  - just ordered - thanks for the heads-up. Dont know why I thought it was due out in the spring.
    Dont know what to do with the signed first edition of books 1 and 2 - hate having un-read books about!
  • Options

Over the last couple of weeks I've read: Stieg Larrson - Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Mark Kermode - The Good the Bad and the Multiplex which was a cracking read.

Now reading The Fear Index by Robert Harris which is going quite well at the minute, don't usually read this sort of stuff so quite surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.

I really enjoyed Kermodes The good, the bad and the multiplex too. Especially his views on 3D.
  • Options
    In readiness for the great move from March Towers a number of items of a literary nature have gone to local charities and family and friends (which is much the same thing really). However I still have for disposal the Oxford Press Compleat 'Sherlock Holmes' comprising nine volumes of the great consulting detective's Adventures/Memoirs/Casebook and Further Adventures. They are all in mint condition and are looking for a good home so if interested let me know. Oh, didn't mention: no money required. Cheers.
  • Options
    A Life Too Short- By Ronald Reng

Biography of  the tragedy of German International Goalkeeper Robert Enke by one of his friends....it also gives a good insight into problems concerning depression and how it can affect people.

Definitely a must read.

• Options

Over the last couple of weeks I've read: Stieg Larrson - Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Mark Kermode - The Good the Bad and the Multiplex which was a cracking read.

Now reading The Fear Index by Robert Harris which is going quite well at the minute, don't usually read this sort of stuff so quite surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.

I really enjoyed Kermodes The good, the bad and the multiplex too. Especially his views on 3D.
    I agree with him on 3d, it is a novelty and is not the future. I obviously don't go to the cinema as much as him but I've never noticed a problem with digital projection? I felt he went on a bit too much about celluloid film and projectionists. Some really interesting points in the book though, especially how while blockbusters might underperform at the box office, they never lose money in the long run. Also his review of Sex and the City 2 is hilarious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A Life Too Short- By Ronald Reng

Biography of  the tragedy of German International Goalkeeper Robert Enke by one of his friends....it also gives a good insight into problems concerning depression and how it can affect people.

Definitely a must read.

Currently reading this & agree well worth reading
  • Options

I agree with him on 3d, it is a novelty and is not the future. I obviously don't go to the cinema as much as him but I've never noticed a problem with digital projection? I felt he went on a bit too much about celluloid film and projectionists. Some really interesting points in the book though, especially how while blockbusters might underperform at the box office, they never lose money in the long run. Also his review of Sex and the City 2 is hilarious.

Yet to see a film in 3D and doubt if I will ever bother. Loved the SATC2 review and some of his rants about other films are very funny. Definitely enjoyed this book more than his first.
  • Options
    I'm another one currently reading A Life Too Short.
  • Options

I read the George RR Martin books last year.  Very, very good story. Gutted the next one won't be out until circa 2019 

Read The Seven Days of Peter Crumb by Jonny Glynn and The Second Coming by John Niven.  Not a ptch on Kill Your Friends but very good and suitably sick in enough parts to make me laugh

• Options
    Black Postcards by Dean Wareham
    (singer/guitarist from Galaxie 500 & Luna)
  • Options
    Just finished "How I Escaped my Certain Fate" by Stewart Lee. Story of his "wilderness years" during the 2000s and the transcripts of various live shows. As a fan I enjoyed it. If you are not, you wont.
  • Options
    Just finished War Horse. Whizzed through it in a couple of days. Now reading War by Sebastien Junger as recommended by Siblers.
  • Options
    Algarveaddick 10:22PM
    Just finished "How I Escaped my Certain Fate" by Stewart Lee. Story of his "wilderness years" during the 2000s and the transcripts of various live shows. As a fan I enjoyed it. If you are not, you wont.

Agree, really enjoyed this. Found the copious footnotes frequently hilarious.

• Options
    Dominic Sandbrook - the way we were: Britain 1970-74
  • Options
    Now reading Harry Pearson's "The Far Corner". Having read all his other books, finally got around to reading the first. The story of a season in the north east, Around various grounds, pro and amateur - very funny in parts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Far Corner is a terrific book
  • Options
    David Bowie: The London Years 1947-1974 ... tons of local SE London stuff included, fascinating
  • Options
    A Dance with Dragons - George R.R. Martin
  • Options
    House of Silk (New Sherlock Holmes) - Anthony Horowitz, some might be a little sceptical and i was too but its very good! Still prefer Conan Doyle's though
  • Options
    'Spook Country' by William Gibson .. one of the modern masters
  • Options
    Ocean sea - Alessandro Baricco, a brilliant writer just wish he wrote more.
  • Options
    Spook Country is excellent ... like all his books
  • Options
    re: stonemuse .... Spook Country is excellent ... like all his books

I'm rereading it after a couple of years .. as with all really good books, a second reading is often better than the first, new insights, plots and ideas come to light .. Gibson deserves a Pulitzer at the very least, possibly a Nobel as he has a LOT to say about the 'human condition'.
  • Options
    American Gods - Neil Gaiman. 380 pages down 300 to go. Very surreal take on the US road trip.

See the prequel to Trainspotting is due in April. Skag Boys. Massive Irvine Welsh fan, really looking forward to it.

• Options
    Long road to freedom Vol 1 - Nelson Mandela