Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 'what do you work as thread'

Comments

• Options
    Whereabouts Al? I now end up in those places at least once per shift!
  • Options
    Mainly a Swimming Teacher, but I often do a bit of Lifeguarding & working in the Kids Club.
  • Options
    IT support for a company that provides tech support for a number of councils around the UK. But I do application stuff, not hardware, so it's really annoying when family phone up asking for help with computer problems, as I generally only know marginally more about it than they do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]IT support for a company that provides tech support for a number of councils around the UK. But I do application stuff, not hardware, so it's really annoying when family phone up asking for help with computer problems, as I generally only know marginally more about it than they do.
    LOL - same here. My brothers-in-law always ask me for help with their stupid PC problems "it's running slow" or "I've got malware" or "One of the 758 programs on my PC is causing a problem and I don;t know which". Having worked in IT for about 12 years and never having done desktop support means me stock answer to this is "reimage it"
  • Options
    Scared to put mine up as I feel inferior to people on here with their very much brainiac jobs.
    I'm just a common retail assistant (checkout operator)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: damol[/cite]Scared to put mine up as I feel inferior to people on here with their very much brainiac jobs.
    Never be ashamed of what you do. You work for a living - that instantly elevates you above millions of your peers. Besides, everybody's situation is different.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: damol[/cite]Scared to put mine up as I feel inferior to people on here with their very much brainiac jobs.

I've done that, and mini-cab driver, and Security Guard and Life Insurance Salesman. As Leroy said, never be ashamed of your job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    Never be ashamed of what you do. You work for a living - that instantly elevates you above millions of your peers. Besides, everybody's situation is different.
    Yeah, and think of it this way. If it weren't for people like you, we'd all be at the mercy of those automated checkout things. The phrase "unexpected item in the bagging area" has been known to reduce otherwise sane and sensible people into a frothing rage.
  • Options
    I shuffle paper for an insurance broker in the City. Also have a part time job with the RAF shuffling maps!
  • Options
    ]

[

[quote][cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: damol[/cite]Scared to put mine up as I feel inferior to people on here with their very much brainiac jobs.
    I'm just a common retail assistant (checkout operator)[/quote]
    Never be ashamed of what you do. You work for a living - that instantly elevates you above millions of your peers. Besides, everybody's situation is different.[/quote]
    Yeah, and think of it this way. If it weren't for people like you, we'd all be at the mercy of those automated checkout things. The phrase "unexpected item in the bagging area" has been known to reduce otherwise sane and sensible people into a frothing rage.[/quote]
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry, made a mistake and had to make a comment on the next post about the same thing.

The comment about the "automated checkout things" was the funniest (and scarily the most true) comment I've
    ever heard. It's funny watching normally sane people lose their cool with them, complain about them, yet still go to them
    whilst the operators are waiting there to serve!
  • Options
    Master Brewer: have run a number of breweries and currently focussing on innovation: new products, brewing technology and so on. The beer business is mostly very good fun.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

Unless you work at the palarse club shop.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Whereabouts Al? I now end up in those places at least once per shift!

Castle Point Council, Benfleet, Hadleigh and Canvey Island. I know quite a few paramedics from being on emergency call out once every four weeks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Whereabouts Al? I now end up in those places at least once per shift!

Castle Point Council, Benfleet, Hadleigh and Canvey Island. I know quite a few paramedics from being on emergency call out once every four weeks.

I work out of Rayleigh or Canvey so if I haven't bumped into you already, it's just a matter of time!
  • Options
    Scientist - Childhood Leukaemia UK Network
  • Options
    Still were I was 4 years back

Just survived a wave of cuts phew.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]

I work out of Rayleigh or Canvey so if I haven't bumped into you already, it's just a matter of time!

Look forward to it Medders. I'm the only male on the out of hours team, so you'll know it's me!
  • Options
    I now spend most of my time with my web development and internet marketing business here in Alicante. Also involved with property sales and investments here in Spain but the last 12 months have been tricky to say the least!
  • Options
    Head of English in a large Cornish Comprehensive School. Bored. Year 10 are doing a four hour test in silence. The naughty ones are demanding to 'go to the toilet' every two seconds. A boy behind me keeps sniffing ancoughing his lungs up.

Up the Addicks!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I browse chalton life & poker forums, occasionally manage to sneak a game in to!

oh for work Business Training Co-ordinator & receptionist dull as anything but interview tomorrow fingers crossed
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    work in a family business, embroidery, printing and manufacturing bespoke sportswear, very very hard as we are mega busy for 5 months of the year and very quiet now have 9 staff to find work for.We also make ties for clubs and for the trade.

Very down at the moment, I am naturally a worrier and the old man cant keep going on forever all the responsibility then falls with me and I have never been left in the situation before and it worries me sick.It is becoming harder to recruit the staff due as needlework no longer exists in school so it's a ageing skill, the only other alternative is foreign workers as eastern europeans still have the skills. In the long run it may have to be run on a smaller scale, we are feckin good at what we do and the custome rbase is very loyal just need to find something for those quiter periods.

I feel that having turned 40 it would be extremely difficult to find work elsewhere so it's just a case of see how it goes but with 3 kids I am scared shitless.I used to work for natwest and wonder whether I should have stayed there ( that was 14 years ago ) not many uk manufacturers
    left, everything has gone abroad now.
  • Options
    Been temping/on contract at a UK regulator for the past two years, doing all the crappy jobs that nobody employed here will do, whilst continually being turned down for permanent jobs! Current contract expiring shortly - unless they can find more crap work to pass my way :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: gazzaddick[/cite]Scientist - Childhood Leukaemia UK Network

I didnt realise we had such intelligent fans! Good work!
  • Options
    Domestic Energy Assessor - I produce those little energy efficiency charts when you buy a new house.

Also a registered Code for Sustainable Homes Assessor so trying to future-proof myself with the ever increasing demands on building regulations and going green

Self employed but working for my fathers company - hoping to get a little more involved in other aspects of the business as he gradually slows down to retirement
  • Options
    Local Govt. Responsible for Sec 46 of the 1984 Public health act and manage about £6m in client assets.
  • Options
    Harry Hutchens said:
    Personal Trainer since 1997. Self employed.

Just written and published an eBook 'How to be a successful Personal Trainer'. If anyone is interested please message me.

Harry have you seen the weight loss thread.. .you would have been better off advertising your wares in that one!

Where do you train by the way?
  • Options
    Own a CNC precision engineering Company........been a really tough couple of years!!

www.pointcnc.com

Swisdom.....just got lecky bills, what a shock!! Could do with a chart!!?
  • Options
    currently in IT for a web analyitics firm but only for 3 more weeks then moving to ambulance work.
  • Options
    Support engineer in IP Telephony