Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Official ASHES Thread

What's going on with him? Just what is this "stress-related illness" all about.

Now I know stress can affect different people in different ways, but just what is stressful about standing in a field all day, catching (or maybe dropping) the odd ball, playing catch with your mates then picking up a lump of wood and smacking the sh*t out of a ball?

Either his poopers just gone or there's more to it!!!

Comments

• According to a rumour doing the rounds, Tres has a huge issues that when he's playing away with England, his wife is playing away.
  • i think its a panic attack type thing, in that he can't be away from his family. dunno about rothko's suggestion.

its perfectly feasible, like an agraphobia type condition, where he can't bear to be somewhere thats far away, just like people can't go outside etc, i don't think its the actual cricket thats the issue.

poor bloke, must be awful for him.

here's hoping he can get past this
  • don't believe that Rothko, i just think that unlike most who make it to the top of their field, the guy suffers incredibly badly with nerves, indecision, mental doubts etc. that probably combine to leave him in a permenant unsettled state.

Feel incredibly sorry for him, must be hell to live with yourself knowing you have the talent, he's obvious seen the best doctors etc yet seems unable to cross the line, so to speak.

And sadly i don't think anyone can relate to these type of illnesses unless they have suffereed from clinical depression or severe anxiety.
  • What's going on with him? Just what is this "stress-related illness" all about.

Reading between the lines he's suffering from some kind of depression, understandably he doesn't want his medical history being pored over and discussed by the world. Get well soon Tresser.
  • Why should he only be effected away from home, surley the pressures must have been just as bad, if not worse, during the last ashes series? I'm inclined to agree with Rothco, not saying that his wife is playing away but certainly the problem is at home.

Whatever the reason, I don't think that he'll play for England again.
  • Very sad. Seen Tres play some tremendous innings for England and Somerset. Infact everytime I have seen him live he has smashed the ball for fun.

When he came home from India there was a rumour that his wife was having an affair but, as stated above, it is now down to mental health problems.

To play cricket you do need to be in the right state of mind particularly an opening batsman who needs to bat through at least the first two sessions. The pressure on these players during the Ashes is immense.......
  • if it was to do with someone being unfaithful it would of come out by now.

The being at home to keep an eye on his wife story sounds more ridiculous the more you think of it. Even when they are in the country, cricketers spend every other week away from home, and they're not exactly round the house during the day when they are playing at home !
  • He requested that his missus and kid been flown out to Australia early and the management refused , so then he packed up and came home
  • "He requested that his missus and kid been flown out to Australia early and the management refused , so then he packed up and came home "

Very sad if true - you would hope that the management could make an exception. Nonetheless if he wasn't 100% then he is best coming home. Did I hear that Rob Key got the call. If so then a good replacement with a good track record against the convicts.
  • No fat Bob, Ed Joyce got the call
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]"He requested that his missus and kid been flown out to Australia early and the management refused , so then he packed up and came home "

Very sad if true - you would hope that the management could make an exception. Nonetheless if he wasn't 100% then he is best coming home. Did I hear that Rob Key got the call. If so then a good replacement with a good track record against the convicts.

No he did n't mate , Joyce from Middlesex got called up instead . Gutted for Key really but he's not had the best of seasons by his standards
  • Have to say, it's not the best of things to happen in the run up to the first test.

Anyone think we've got a good chance of retaining???
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Have to say, it's not the best of things to happen in the run up to the first test.

Nope , I think we're going to get battered sadly
  • "No he did n't mate , Joyce from Middlesex got called up instead . Gutted for Key really but he's not had the best of seasons by his standards"

I must have dreampt it!. I agree that Key didnt have a great season, but he has got a lot of experience of playing in Aus.

In any case I agree with your later post that we are going to get bashed up.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Have to say, it's not the best of things to happen in the run up to the first test.

With Tresser on form yes, and with the team playing well. But, without Tresser things are different and far more equal. Australia are stronger batting wise, but England have the better squad of bowlers, even if Warne is on the Aussies side. The other Aussie bowlers are a bit long in the tooth - they were two years ago and not much has changed since.

I think it's pretty well balanced, I hope Freddie wins the toss aat Brisbane next week and bats, little things like that might make the difference.
  • You sad bunch of namby pambys.

Sorry for him ? most of us would jump at the chance of 3 months away from 'er indoors.

In my day, 'self-doubt' was dealt with a nip of scotch, a slap round the chops and a good 'ol pull yourself together dressing-down.

Mind you in those days, we never had vegetarians.
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]To play cricket you do need to be in the right state of mind particularly an opening batsman who needs to bat through at least the first two sessions. The pressure on these players during the Ashes is immense.......

And there isn't a team better at exposing and exploiting any metal weakness than the aussies.
  • BFR - The problem at the moment is that, apart from the odd patches, our bowlers are struggling. Harmisson is the key, but is well out of form. I remember McCague going to Australia and getting slapped to all parts of the ground - the same will happy to Harmy if he doesnt find form.

The toss is important - bat first and have a good first session and who knows.........
  • Harmison is a rhythm bowler, when he's on form as he was against the Windies at Sabina Park a few seasons back and in patches then he's not just fast but bowls a hard ball - one that hits the bat.

I'd ignore the one day form, he was a bit up and down last season but still took 20 plus wickets over the summer.

Hoggard has to do the line and length stuff - on and just outside off stump.

Anderson a good third seamer, but not such a good batsman.

The question is how fit will Flintoff be, and if he's fit enough to bowl how many overs a day/session.

And Giles or Panesar. Panesar is the better bowler, takes more wickets, turns it further and is desperate to succeed, but he can neither bat or field and Giles is significantly better in both departments. Without Trescothick we need two good relaible catchers at slip and gully and neither he nor Colly drop much (touch wood). Panesar adds to the tail which with Harmy, Hoggy and Anderson looks long enough already.
  • AFKA - Rothko is not far off the mark mate I have heard that here at my place - we work for ECB - so might not be so untrue
  • Sponsored links:

• BFR - Can't disagree with any of your post.
  • Arfur: We used to work for the ICC and the MCC - lost em both as clients though. Apparently someone from our place kept posting things on internet messageboards that they'd picked up in confidential client dealings. All got very messy!!!
    ;o)
  • To be fair to Rob Key, he has had lots of injuries, and has had surgury recently!
  • as someone previously posted, as an opening bat you need to be totally focussed from the off, so any doubt about that then he shouldn't play.
    batting wise it may not be as bad a loss to the team as feared. cook has done the business since coming in, bell and collingwood are both in good nick and it would of been 1 of them 3 who would have missed out.
    but it's a big loss to the squad as any batting injury, ed joyce is not the answer.
    i personally would have flown ramprakash out there. even though i have been critical of him in the past, he had a storming season.
    that aside i am dreading the series.
    we are missing vaughans captaincy.
    i think the aussies will take a 'not confident' harmison apart.
    we are missing simon jones (a massive player in last years win).
    flintoff is bound to niggle his injury.
    the tail is too long with panesar, even though i'd play him instead of giles, but i just hope he is professional enough not to let the barracking from the aussies affect him.
  • Off It - Should shut their mouths and not tell people in post rooms then shouldn't they
  • Owais Shah surely should have been ahead of Joyce and Key though. test average 63 (albeit 1 test only) but that shows he took to it like a duck to water. Joyce not played a test and Key's average is 31
  • Shame about tressa perhaps problems become more apparent when his away due to less support thought watching England last year he looked out of touch. Think in a way it helps the balance of the side moving cook and Bell up the order allowing for the extra bowler
  • Hopefully Tresco can get back to himself again and provide England with another couple of years of Test cricket in the same way Thorpe did.
  • Harmy 'rested' for the last warm up game, what's that about ????

Surely if you're going to play your main strike bowler in the first test, he needs to get overs in now ?

They are going to go after him right from the off....
  • Harmy 'rested' for the last warm up game, what's that about ????

Sidestrain, no idea how serious but it seems he woke up with it and was rested as a pre-caution. As he didn't plat in the last match maybe it is a bit more serious than reported.