Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Official ASHES Thread

Comments

• Options
    Must be injured, can't see them resting him. Good to see they're going for Panesar as opposed to Giles. A more positive option. He's a match winner whereas Giles isn't. I'm worried about the 4th seamer though- Plunkett or Mahmood the weak link of the side.
  • Options
    I assume they will play Harmison/Hoggard and Mahmood (as he can bat) if Panesar is to play. If they are going to play Plunkett or Anderson then Giles will need to come in. I would imagine Giles and Panesar come in for the SCG.

I think last time we won at Brisbane we played 2 spinners - not that the spinners took many wickets.
  • Options
    I think the three seamers will be Harmison, Hoggard, Anderson + Flintoff with Panesar as spinner. But there is some depth in the seam bowling department with Mahmood and Plunkett on hand, much depends on how fit Flintoff is and how fast he can bowl.

Giles to come in at Sydney for Anderson.

"I think last time we won at Brisbane we played 2 spinners - not that the spinners took many wickets."

From memory Nasser Hussain won the toss and opting for the element of surprise elected to field...not very many of our bowlers took wickets.
  • Options
    Why is the Ashes always contested by men ???

Because no woman would go to that much effort for a four-inch prize !

Come on England !!
  • Options
    Gilo or Monty ?

I think they will go with Gilo if Bell isn't right because there is little depth to the batting. If Bell is ok though i would go with Monty, purely because i think its an unnecessary gamble playing someone who hasn't played a competitive game in a year.

Watson will be a big blow for them, not only does he bat, but bowls as well. Him out will mean McGrath will have to get through more overs.
  • Options
    I'd keep my powder dry with Monty as Brisbane is not a track to help spinners.

As others have said we may well need Giles' superior batting too.
  • Options
    Anyone staying up to watch it tonight ?
  • Options
    gonna try and watch as much as possible. what time does it start?
  • Options
    Midnight mate , i think I'm gonna get up early and watch the last hour or so
  • Options
    i'll watch the first hour and see how i feel. managed to get up a few times for the pakistan tour last year but the body wasn't always willing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A student pub down the road apparently has got the all night licence. Will be heading down there and then going into a 9am lecture !
  • Options
    does anyone know what time UK wise stumps is scheduled for ?
  • Options
    Darren Gough: "I'd pick Monty Panesar ahead of Ashley Giles. Panesar had a brilliant season and he turns the ball well. Australia will probably come after him but that could work to England's advantage.

"Ashley Giles is a good cricketer but he's been out for a year. Panesar deserves that spot in the first Test but that will be Duncan Fletcher's decision."
  • Options
    Bartram, some people have said midnight, others one....

who knows ?
  • Options
    i meant what time here does the day's play end ?

i think its 8am..
  • Options
    very much agree with Goughy. Monty is a match winner giles isn't. Giles may score a few more but it should be up to the top 7 to score them.
    Going to be a tough series, i think we'll struggle this time around. I'm staying up with a few bers to watch it, can't wait
  • Options
    i think its 8am..

kick-off is Midnight GMT...lunch is approx 2AM-2.40AM, The second session lasts 2.40AM-4.40AM and the last session starts at 5AM-7AM GMT, however that depends on the requisite number of overs being bowled, so stumps could be later than that.
  • Options
    Aussie strengths: playing at home, used to the pitches, got a point to prove after the last Ashes, strong batting line-up, have Shane Warne and won't be as complacent as last time.

Aussie weaknesses: bowling other than Warne looks a bit thin, McGrath is no more than fast-medium, Brett Lee is fast but expensive and they lack a genuine all-rounder, if the England batsmen get going there is no depth in their attack. Aussie captain Ricky Ponting isn't in form.

England strengths: great team spirit with a great track record as a Test nation over the last few years. Good batting line-up - the top five average over 40, good fielding side. Shown they can beat the Aussies. Have a stronger bowling line up and more consistent plus a genuine all rounder in Flintoff. Monty Panesar an unknown quantity for the Aussies. The Barmy army will give England great support.

Weaknesses: Missing Vaughan as captain, Cook has never opened in Test cricket before, Bell wasn't a success the lat time he batted at no.3 (most of his runs have come batting 5). The pitches are a yard faster than in England and that can take getting used to (angle of bounce etc is different), KP is as likely to get himself out as score runs, Flintoff is still recovering from injury and may not be fully fit. Question marks over which keeper is better, a bit of a long tail if Hoggard, Harmison, Anderson and Monty play. If Giles play's he isn't as incisive a bowler as Monty. Missing Trescothick.
  • Options
    I ought to add England are missing Simon Jones as a fourth seamer. Jones bowled a lot with the old ball in the last ashes series, often reversing it, traditionally bowling with an older ball is something the spinners do, Jones is a better bowler than Giles and took a lot of pressure off the latter, and in my opinion made him look a better bowler - the Aussies were effectively tied up at one end had to take chances against Giles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    good assessment BFR, but i think you've missed out a key factor.

They use a different, manufactured ball Down Under, very different to the one we normally use, and importantly doesn't reverse swing as well. That aspect is a big aspect of our bowling, and may be a factor.
  • Options
    Cook has opened in test cricket he came in for Tresco when Tresco went home from India scored 60 then a century on debut.

He opened with Strauss for the whole series I think.

Other than that a fair assessment.
  • Options
    Well that was a great start ! 346-3 at Stumps, Ricky Pontins on 137no.

Harmison's first ball of the series went straight to the slips...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    Harmison's first ball of the series went straight to the slips...

only bright spot was harmys first ball.
    i had a whole pound on 1st ball of series being a wide with bluesquare @ 33-1.
  • Options
    Well done the England selectors who have chosed Giles over Panesar. I'm sure all 8 of Giles runs he'll score in the 1st innings will prove invaluable in chasing Asutralias 600+ score...

A totally spineless decision by the selectors on a pitch which would have suited Monty down to the ground. This myth that Giles is more defensive bowler is a totally falacy, and besides who ever won a test playing defensively?
  • Options
    i haven't seen no action yet, but the fact Peitersen has got 9 overs in already suggests there would of been something there for Monty...
  • Options
    Pietersen was the most economical bowler behind Freddie wasnt he? The problem is that we need wickets, not to stop them scoring runs.

Think we're playing for the draw already. Anderson conceded far too many runs (17 boundaries i think) which is equivalent to one an over, just not good enough.

There's a lot of batting to come from the Aussies as well.

Barmy Army.
  • Options
    The day went with the toss, but there's no point singling out the selectors picking Giles over Panesar, Giles has bowled ok and taken a wicket, would Monty have bowled that much better? Maybe, maybe not. Harmison, Hoggard and Anderson have not delivered anything, that's where the problem lies.
  • Options
    Anderson to me is just not economic enough for top level test cricket, and has failed to build on his early career promise.
  • Options
    I managed to stay up to watch 3 overs before i caved in and went to bed. couldn't keep eyes open despite comical start!

go hoggy!