Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Official ASHES Thread

Comments

• Options
    Aussies to get 700 pitch cracks up on day 3, Warne bowls us out twice. Roll on the second test!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    Harmison's first ball of the series went straight to the slips...

only bright spot was harmys first ball.
    i had a whole pound on 1st ball of series being a wide with bluesquare @ 33-1.

after my succesful punt last night, i am prepared to share my wisdom. for tonights bet get on next aussie wicket being a run out. although the batsmen need to start again they have runs on the board, and with only flintoff looking slightly threatening with the ball i think an aussie mistake is the best hope of getting a wicket.
    always looking for an outside bet, the run-out @ 25-1 with bluesquare seems good value.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Another bad day for England...350 runs to save the follow on, at 53/3 we'll be lucky to get to 300.

A follow-on looks likely, England will have to bat for just about the whole of the last three days to save this match.
  • Options
    It is a depressing time to be an England cricket fan - at least we've got the Everton match to cheer us up!
  • Options
    how gutting is it that the time difference ? Approached it with excitement, but with not being able to watch any of it, soon feel detached.

The Sports Cafe in Haymarket had 1,200 in watching the first ball of the first day. By the last ball of the day the crowd had whittled to 40 !
  • Options
    i've managed to get to the end of the morning sessions so far, not sure i'll bother for the rest of this one.
  • Options
    tonight is probably the only one that will get a higher percentage of watchers!

is there another one that starts on a friday night?
  • Options
    Didnt even manage to stay awake for the highlights on BBC!!!
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited November 2006
    What you mean there are highlights on bbc, when? which channel?
  • Options
    BBC1 at 11.20
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fugger, i looked in the tv mag thing, and found no highlights! why do they always put stuff like this so bleedin late! I am puttin MOTD in this aswel! When i were a young wippasnapper i always wanted to watch motd, it was the only prog i ever wanted to watch, but on so late i wasnt allowed to stay up for it! BBC - Bunchofwankers
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]tonight is probably the only one that will get a higher percentage of watchers!

is there another one that starts on a friday night?

Next test starts next thursday night , none of them start on a friday night though
  • Options
    thursday night isn't so bad tho. only 1 day to get up knackered. unless it goes onto the sunday night, then fooked for the monday.

i only lasted till 12.30 again this morning, even tho i fell asleep during that prog about the queen mum 10.30 till 12!!!

i swear i need about 12 hours sleep a night.
  • Options
    My little girl woke up at 1 am screaming and did nt go back to sleep til about 4 so I ended up seeing a fair bit , she looks after her Dad
  • Options
    i caught the first half hour last night, and the plan is to get to bed early tonight and get up for the last session in the morning.

Know its not going to happen though.
  • Options
    The English bowlers are being described as the "Shoddy Line" in the convict press
  • Options
    7/1 on Ladbrokes for England to hold onto the draw. Might be worth a punt - Only have to bat through tonight & we're in with a chance!
  • Options
    An Opticians that I think is near the cricket ground:

Crystal Optical
    Centro Buranda Buranda QLD 4102
    ph: (07) 3391 2848

Suggest the umpire f**king book an appointment. Gives Pietersen out lbw when the ball missed off stump by miles.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    Harmison's first ball of the series went straight to the slips...

only bright spot was harmys first ball.
    i had a whole pound on 1st ball of series being a wide with bluesquare @ 33-1.

after my succesful punt last night, i am prepared to share my wisdom. for tonights bet get on next aussie wicket being a run out. although the batsmen need to start again they have runs on the board, and with only flintoff looking slightly threatening with the ball i think an aussie mistake is the best hope of getting a wicket.
    always looking for an outside bet, the run-out @ 25-1 with bluesquare seems good value.

b£**%&cks. the run out bet came in today.
  • Options
    Just got 15/1 on a draw, after them not making us follow on, anything could happen. Although they may stick us straight into bat now after knocking up 181.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They most likely will make England bat immediately, they have a lead of 600 + runs on the board and two days left...
  • Options
    Extras was the 4th highest scorer!

Pathetic on a decent batting track. I guess as second highest scorer on 24 Giles has justified his place.

I hope they make a fight of it at least when they bat again.
  • Options
    rumour has it that aus will bat til lunch on 4th day, to allow the cracks in the pitch to widen.
    please rain, then that will be the end of pontings captaincy.
  • Options
    Can't believe they did not make ENgland follow on. Watched the first session this morning and although Pietersen was a bad decision, it did not really make a difference as apart from Bell none of them looked up for a fight...

Not too disheartened yet, we took a walloping at Lords in 2005 and still turned it round. Hopefully Vaughan will be there in the background helping get spirits up.

I could see him playing in the series if we continue to bat like Norfolk
  • Options
    Did anyone see Atherton on the track giving it 'i can get four fingers in this crack'

Well that's Aussie women for you !

Saw the first ball last night and went to bed, then wokeup and saw the last ball oof the day ! When i saw the aussies were in bat i got all excited as i thought we must of made 400+. Ha.
  • Options
    Only another 600-odd to win. Sod it - am off to bed now. Reckon it might all be over by the time I wake up.
  • Options
    Only 355 more to win now, Geraint Jones century and Pietersen to get 250 tomorrow, no worries!
  • Options
    I'm sure he'll get away with it, but I think Ponting has screwed things up a bit. Presumably he didn't want to enforce the follow on to rub England's noses in it for a while longer and give his bowlers a longer rest (the second Test starts Friday), but there are reports of thunderstorms, and if they happen with England still batting he's going to look a total plonker. Instead of going on to 181 overnight on day three he should have declared with an hour to go and concentrated on grabbing a couple of quick wickets, and had he got them the game would be all over by now.

Nevertheless a good fightback and Ponting has again erred by giving England the opportunity to do that, but Strauss, Collingwood and Flintoff gifted their wickets away and my suspicion is when Pietersen goes the rest of the batting will subside. After Jones there is only Giles who can bat and his Test best is only 59.
  • Options
    Have to play for the draw now, if we had more wickets then a win would no way be out of the question. KP & Jones need to stay in for as long as poss now. After one of those go, its all over. The rest will go down quicker than a cheap hooker.
  • Options
    its a shame that collingwood did not see out the last hour.
    if him and peitersen were still there at the start tomorrow we would have had a small chance of the draw.
    they were getting the better of warne, mcgrath not being able to bowl too much, the threat of rain will probably shorten the number of overs in the day meaning only having to see off 1 new ball and the pressure on ponting building as the day goes on. still wasn't it jack russell who batted all day with atherton in south africa a few years back?
    here's praying for rain.