Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another stabbing in Sidcup

Comments

• Options
    No time for idiots who carry guns on the street etc but did we need at least 9 marksmen re the lawyer with the shotgun? well say 9 thats how many actually fired. Or was it a "good shout" and they all wanted to get "blooded".

or the 130 yes 130 to arrest the maze Hill 11 ?
  • Options
    I love it when women get involved in a mass debate
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]Aaaah but youre not allowed to do that anymore Henry, certainly around Parliment, or you'll get arrested under the new laws brought in by Tony Blair

You can still protest and there are still tents protesting the war opposite the HoP. Protest and Survive.

GH, the SUS laws weren't racist, that was just the way that the police (who you yourself accuse of being unfair) used them. People could be and were arrested, charged and convicted on the SUSpicion of being about to commit a crime on no other evidence than that of the police.

Was it not you GH who was complaining that two Charlton fans had been banned "by association" for hanging around with "known high risk" supporters and saying that this was unfair. Imagine being send down for a couple of years for it. SUS was a very old law being abused by some police officers and was quite rightly scrapped sometime before many people on here and unfortunately many of those who died were even born.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Brian Haw? What a hero this bloke is NLA Link

Serious Organised Crime and Police Act (SOCPA)

Its better than that. Westminster Council have taken him to court and lost claiming he was blocking the path way. He wasnt
    Police claim he was breaching the peace, arrest him. It gets thrown out.
    Govt bring in this new act, take him to the High Courts. Get over ruled because his protest started before the new act was brought in and was not set up as being retrospective.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]It's a lose lose situation for the police.

Say police are just walking the streets, randomly stopping people for knifes in well known areas etc.

1.) They get abuse for abusing their powers and stopping anyone and then a street goes to the papers moaning that a 10 year old has just been mowed down by a speeding motorist in their area. They shout from the rooftops "More police should be watching speeding cars to stop things like this thing happening"

2.) Police concentrate on speeding motorists and people think it is pointless while at the same time people get stabbed in broad daylight and people go mad once again "Why are the police looking at speeding when people are getting stabbed on our streets?"

What are they meant to do, should we employ more police? Should we pay more tax to get more police? Are the police their but too busy doing paperwork?

Honestly, i don't have any answers but its a thankless task and nobody is ever going to be happy, especially when a specific incident affects you/your area personally.

This is really the politics of despair.

I grew up in a Village on the outskirts of the LB of Bromley. We had living amongst our community a number of police. One was the local Village bobby who patrolled the area by foot or by bike, there were Detectives and at one time a Chief Superintendent. All of them were well known and liked and all played an active part in the life of the Village. Crime was at a very low level although there were some serious criminal figures living close by in the area. The local coppers had their ears to the ground. They knew who was up to what and information was regularly exchanged with local people. One day they got rid of the local bobby on the beat and instead the Village received a daily passing visit from a panda car. Straightaway the community bond was broken, the intelligence dried up and crimes such as burglary shot up massively. The very fact that Suzi has never spoken to a Police Officer before (except at the Marathon) is a worrying trend where Police are seen as some distant beings stuck inside a Jam Sandwich painted vehicle, rather than normal members of our community like Doctors, Dentist etc.

I now live in a small town/large Village in Norfolk. They have just closed our local Police Station and the Policemen who manned it, who lived in this community have left the force. We now have passing Patrols from the Norfolk Constabulary which is based 20 miles away supplemented by Community Support Officers who spend most of their time checking whether kids are playing truant and being called to interview 9 year old kids who have been fighting in class because the teachers cannot/will not intervene.

Somehow we have ended up with some very warped priorities. There is no perfect way through this but making the Police more accountable and getting them to Police in a way that best represents the aspirations of the community and with it's support has to be the best way forward. I would ensure that local communities have an input into how policing is delivered for their area so that they can, at least in some part, set the agenda. As I've said before, on a national level, Police should also be relieved of speed limit enforcement so they can concentrate on building trust with the community and providing Policing for things that really matter to most people, namely violent crimes and property theft.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]No time for idiots who carry guns on the street etc but did we need at least 9 marksmen re the lawyer with the shotgun? well say 9 thats how many actually fired. Or was it a "good shout" and they all wanted to get "blooded".

?

But you do "have time" for guys who kidnapped a guys wife and children and pointed guns at their heads so they could rob his offices/bank?

You certainly seem to have a strange set of values.
  • Options
    that was him Dan you can see in the picture 4 OB to remove signs couldnt one or two of them have done that.

and there was another 6 holding the poor fella
  • Options
    The one thing many on here seem to forget is the law is not immutable. It changes over time and so it should. 50 years ago gay sex was illegal, its not now, but the responses on here seem to suggest that no matter how strong their feelings they wouldn't break a law they believed was wrong.

Now many on here would argue that many motoring laws are simply wrong. They were drafted long ago, when car accelerated and broke far more slowly, when they offered far less protection to both occupants and predestrians. We also see the speed limits on roads being continually lowered (70s becoming 50s, many country lanes that used to be 60s now being 40s or 30s), this despite our cars being better at stopping. The 30mph speed limit is based on the average stopping distance of a 1960s car, more than double the average stopping distance of modern cars.

Also, before the widespread use of speed cameras, road deaths were falling at a record rate, that has now stopped, no matter how many more speed cameras have been added in the last few years, road deaths have stopped falling. A number of constabularies and country council have actually stopped the deployment of any new cameras as the evidence indicates they don't work. Whether this is down to where and how they are used I don't know, but they aren't working and pretending they're some sort of magic cure to bad driving is naive at best.

If they government really wanted to lower road deaths there are a number of simple measures that would do it very quickly.
    1) All vehicles limited to 75mpg, stops all speeding on m-ways instantly and free up the police cruising the M25 to do something else
    2)All vehicles to be fitted with sports breaks. Why does a 206GTI stop in half the distance of a family hatchback, the technologies there it should be mandatory
    3) Limits on vehicle acceleration, in any decently performing car you can be past 30 in 2nd gear in under 3 or 4 seconds, thats going to make speeding almost unavoidable at times
    4) Encourage the use of smaller cars. Why do people drive fast? Sometimes to get from a-b faster, but often because its a lot more enjoyable than plodding along. Big cars make speeds feel lower (my old fiesta used to shake at 80, my current car cruises smoothly at 90, allegedly). Smaller cars also stop quicker and do less damage in accidents (more mass = more energy = more damage)

Now the government is doing number 4 to a certain extent (though it smacks of profiteering off of those with larger vehicles, would be better to cut VAT on smaller vehicles thus stopping the bigger ones being bought than to retroactively punish those who bought bigger vehicles to start with).

Speed is not the most important factor in most accidents, if I'm driving like an idiot it doesn't really matter who fast or slow I'm going (especially when we're arguing over 5-10 mph)
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Henry i didnt say that SUS laws were racist . I also said that it was Ob and the abuse of power that were the main reason it got shelved. Thanks for agreeing with me Henry !

Where on earth did isay it was ok for some one to be kidnaped and held ransom at the point of a gun ?

PS Glad i voted for Vince !

PSS nice quote from Chairman Mao earlier H.

PSS If the OB wanted to do something about road safety they would ban women drivers !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]PSS If the OB wanted to do something about road safety they would ban women drivers !

INCOMING!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Henry i didnt say that SUS laws were racist . I also said that it was Ob and the abuse of power that were the main reason it got shelved. Thanks for agreeing with me Henry !

No you didn't say they were racist but you implied that that the reason they were dropped might have been because people claimed that they were. We are actually agreeing even if we are coming from different angles.

Where on earth did isay it was ok for some one to be kidnaped and held ransom at the point of a gun ?

You didn't and again that's not what I said. You did however try to play down the severity of their crimes by saying they were not as bad as muggers.

PS Glad i voted for Vince !

That makes two of us. Not heard that one for, oh, at least two weeks. 0/10 for originality

PSS nice quote from Chairman Mao earlier H.

I don't admire murdering fascist dictators be they from the left or the right but the quote is still valid

PSS If the OB wanted to do something about road safety they would ban women drivers !

What a silly thing to say. Women drivers have less accidents and take more care which is why they get lower insurance premiums but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant. It never has in the past.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dear o dear o dear

Im not ranting Henry and ur just disagreeing for the sake of it.

and of course it was a heart felt plea to HM Gov to ban women drivers wasnt it !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Dear o dear o dear

Im not ranting Henry and ur just disagreeing for the sake of it.

So you've remembered now about the gun toting criminals. That search facility is so handy. Thanks Lookie.

I never disagree for the sake of it. I gave evidence, you just gave bar room ranting so defend your statement on women drivers or like a many who's run out of condoms, withdraw it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]PSS If the OB wanted to do something about road safety they would ban women drivers !

INCOMING!!!!!!

Please do not stereotype all women drivers!!!!!!

We are not all like the that!

:oP
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]...
    What a silly thing to say. Women drivers have less accidents and take more care which is why they get lower insurance premiums but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant. It never has in the past.

Certain demographics of women have on average lower claims per driver, never get that confused with all women or women necessarily being better drivers. And don't mention these cheap deals from the likes of Diamond. There's a reason Diamond are cheap, they are very selective about which women they will insure and thier cover is rubbish.
  • Options
    BTW the Met since they started their 'blitz' on knifes a couple of weeks ago, have Stop and Searched 4000 people, and arrested 200 of them
  • Options
    Pull your neck in fella . The day i EVER recant anything because you tell me to will be a cold day inhell Ok. plain enough.

If you reallythink i meant ALL women should be banned, then im sorry for you. when its obvious to all only 95% are a liability on the roads !
  • Options
    Wll done the OB keep it up.
  • Options
    just come back from woolwich, 2 policeman stop and searching a couple of young adults (17-18yr olds?) as we walked past they were giving them lip and the police were asking them to co-operate with them politely. the boys were wearing loads of clothes considering its quite warm out!
  • Options
    Police seize 193 weapons in new anti-knife crime operation
    29-5-2008 271

Deputy Mayor for Policing, Kit Malthouse, saw at first hand the results of the Metropolitan Police's anti knife crime initiative, Operation Blunt 2, at Scotland Yard this morning.

Kit Malthouse, Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Ian Blair and Cindy Butts Deputy Chair, Metropolitan Police Authority were shown a range of knives, which have been seized by the police as part of the deployment of knife arches and increased use of stop and search as part of Operation Blunt 2.

The Metropolitan Police launched the assertive anti-knife crime operation with the support of the Mayor two weeks ago as response to the recent surge in knife crime.

1. Since Operation Blunt 2 was launched on Tuesday 13th May 193 weapons have been seized, 210 people have been arrested and 4277 stop and searches have been made by police officers.

The Metropolitan Police Authority (MPA) will meet today to discuss Operation Blunt 2 and the MPA youth scrutiny, which will be a valuable input to the MPS youth strategy. The scrutiny involved interviews with 1000 young and adult Londoners about their experiences as victims, witnesses and perpetrators of crime.

Kit Malthouse said:

"Knife crime is a stain on our city and we welcome Operation Blunt 2 as it confronts this evil directly.

'We are grateful to the many brave and courageous police officers who are working in the field to make our children and families safer. 'We recognise however that Operation Blunt 2 is treating the symptom and not the cause of violent crime. Everyone in the Mayor's office are committed to making the long term cultural change needed to make our city safer in the decades to come.”

Cindy Butts said,

"The MPA scrutiny is firmly grounded in the real experiences of young people themselves. The MPA heard about the problems they face and how they can work together with police and other agencies to solve them. Enforcement measures can only be carried out alongside the recognition that young peoples' fear of being a victim overides their fear of being caught with a knife."

Notes to Editors

1. Since Operation Blunt 2 was launched on Tuesday 13th May: 193 Weapons were seized. 210 people were arrested. 4277 stop and searches were made (under section 1 and section 60 powers)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Police seize 193 weapons in new anti-knife crime operation
    29-5-2008 271

Deputy Mayor for Policing, Kit Malthouse, saw at first hand the results of the Metropolitan Police's anti knife crime initiative, Operation Blunt 2, at Scotland Yard this morning.

Kit Malthouse, Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Ian Blair and Cindy Butts Deputy Chair, Metropolitan Police Authority were shown a range of knives, which have been seized by the police as part of the deployment of knife arches and increased use of stop and search as part of Operation Blunt 2.

The Metropolitan Police launched the assertive anti-knife crime operation with the support of the Mayor two weeks ago as response to the recent surge in knife crime.

1. Since Operation Blunt 2 was launched on Tuesday 13th May 193 weapons have been seized, 210 people have been arrested and 4277 stop and searches have been made by police officers.

The Metropolitan Police Authority (MPA) will meet today to discuss Operation Blunt 2 and the MPA youth scrutiny, which will be a valuable input to the MPS youth strategy. The scrutiny involved interviews with 1000 young and adult Londoners about their experiences as victims, witnesses and perpetrators of crime.

Kit Malthouse said:

"Knife crime is a stain on our city and we welcome Operation Blunt 2 as it confronts this evil directly.

'We are grateful to the many brave and courageous police officers who are working in the field to make our children and families safer. 'We recognise however that Operation Blunt 2 is treating the symptom and not the cause of violent crime. Everyone in the Mayor's office are committed to making the long term cultural change needed to make our city safer in the decades to come.”

Cindy Butts said,

"The MPA scrutiny is firmly grounded in the real experiences of young people themselves. The MPA heard about the problems they face and how they can work together with police and other agencies to solve them. Enforcement measures can only be carried out alongside the recognition that young peoples' fear of being a victim overides their fear of being caught with a knife."

Notes to Editors

1. Since Operation Blunt 2 was launched on Tuesday 13th May: 193 Weapons were seized. 210 people were arrested. 4277 stop and searches were made (under section 1 and section 60 powers)

A step in the right direction for sure.

It will be even better if, assuming they are all in fact guilty, the 210 all get gaoled for a long time.

I won't hold my breath for that though....
  • Options
    The only thing I'd say, and this is probably a finite resources problem, is why is there the need for an anti-knife crime operation, surely they should always be anti-knife crime.

Reminds me of visiting the hospital to visit someone before christmas. They had poster everywhere proclaiming it to be "clean hands week", it should be "clean hand" all the time, the fact you need a week to highlight it means you're not doing your job the other 51 weeks
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Pull your neck in fella . The day i EVER recant anything because you tell me to will be a cold day inhell Ok. plain enough.

!

Oh, you're so macho. I wish I could say I was impressed but I'm not.

You know what you are trying to achieve on this site and so do I. We've both been there, done it, bought the t-shirt a long long time ago even if it was on different sides so don't try to pull the wool over my eyes.
  • Options
    theres no pulling the wool over ur eyes is there lol note to self "watch out Henrys about".

was it the onion in the cheese sanwich which gave it away ?
  • Options
    edited May 2008
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]BTW the Met since they started their 'blitz' on knifes a couple of weeks ago, have Stop and Searched 4000 people, and arrested 200 of them

Well done the Met... doing their job.

However, arresting someone is one thing... now let's hope the CPS and the judge/magistrate does their part and come down hard on them
  • Options
    oh well, it had a good run.

those that want to continue it please feel free to do so, those that want to just trade snipes, please do it by whisper.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Police seize 193 weapons in new anti-knife crime operation
    29-5-2008 271

Kit Malthouse said:

Cindy Butts said,

Notes to Editors

Well done Boris I say ;-)
  • Options
    You can just see the powers that be frantically halting stop and search when they realise there's not enough space to lock them up. In fact i bet there's a headline about in the standard within a week.