Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paddy to Palace

Comments

• Options
    StrikerFirmani, see this link

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=15788
  • Options
    Thanks for that guys, I will give it a try next time of posting.
  • Options
    result if we unload paddy for cash but all this we've saved on hudson being a free is junk , the bloke would have got a signing on fee or monster contract to what he was on/offered at palace.... paddy may have passion and committment but so have i and i'm shit... he's a mid to bottom half of championship player but as len said we might actually be one of them teams, based on the last half of the season we were
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]Go back to the middle of December when Fortune got suspended and McCarthy came back in to the team and you will see that we only had 4 clean sheets in 27 games running to the end of the season. Prior to that for November we had 4 clean sheets on the trot.

I am not suggesting that McCarthy is solely to blame it is the defence as a whole including midfield cover but Centre Half’s are pivotal. My guess is that Pardew also see’s that the defence is not good enough hence he has signed another CH.

I dont particularly want to have an argument over this because you are, of course, totally entitled to your view that Paddy isn't a good centre half. I wouid just point out that after Fortune got injured, then Sodje got suspended/injured, then Magic got injured and then Sodje got injured again. So the common denominator at centre back was Paddy but he didn't have a regular partner and thus maybe, just maybe, the defensive frailties were caused by that and not him. You can also add to that the chopping and changing at full back throughout this period. Personally I saw Paddy as a player who regularly found himself exposed by his colleagues and made a real fist of holding the line.
  • Options
    When the Leicester fans (and look where Leicester are now) felt that he did not benefit a place in the team that they support I was concerned when we signed him. Having seen him play I am still concerned that we signed him. Also he looks too much like Andy Gray (not the Sky Sports chap who seems to have lost it) so when Paddy scored against Wolves I made myself look a fool jumping up and down like an idiot shouting out that Gray had scored at last. Sell him
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stoneroses19[/cite]I would like him to stay. Was easily the most improved player over last season.

Stockport at home, his every touch was booed untill he scored the winner. But by end of the season, his commitment was second to none.

Without fail when that whistle was blown, eight players would rush for the tunnel. Matty, Weaver and Paddy would always applaud the fans in all stands.

That would be a shame to lose I think. We're always on here talking about how we hate players like thomas who look like there being forced to play in front of us.

It's good and essential to have players like paddy at the club that respect us as much as we respect them.

I think we've learnt what players who aren't 100% commited to a team can do to a season.

Fully agreed ... he's good enough for this division and Palaaarse don't deserve him
  • Options
    McCarthy is dross. He is too slow, has poor positional sense, poor control \and his passing from the back is abysmal.

i cant believe warnock would want him!
  • Options
    I think he's much maligned and unfairly so. I hope he stays.
  • Options
    Paddy hasn't been that poor in the scheme of things, but he hasn't been watertight, has cost us goals, and he seemed very unsure at home against Bristol City. We also need defenders who might just hold their own in the top-half of the Championship, if not the Premier. Mark Hudson might just be what we need in this respect.

And I note with interest that they intend to make him feel the 'wrath of fury' when he returns to Smellhurst!

So if he's 'lazy', 'played poorly', and is only 'moving for the money', then why are they so keen to give him a hot reception when he goes back there?
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    From what Ive read from the Nigels (could be sour grapes), Hudson isnt that different from Paddy i.e. prone to a mistake, slow etc, however what liked about Paddy is that he is brave.

This sort of rock CB alongside the more mobile Magic should work well IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just hope we have a settled back four next season. With injuries, suspensions and players being dropped it seem to change every week.

How many times did we play the same back four week on week? Shirty/anyone?
  • Options
    ... And that he had to be 'bailed out from Matt Lawrence' every so often? Yup, that's exactly what I read on troll-infested Holmesdale although I think it's just sour grapes (as I noted above).

If he really is as bad as they make out then then they would be glad to be shot of him. But given they also say he's only going for the dosh and that they want to give him a reception he never forgets, then they can't really be that happy to see him go?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StoneChurchGremlin[/cite]... And that he had to be 'bailed out from Matt Lawrence' every so often? Yup, that's exactly what I read on troll-infested Holmesdale although I think it's just sour grapes (as I noted above).

If he really is as bad as they make out then then they would be glad to be shot of him. But given they also say he's only going for the dosh and that they want to give him a reception he never forgets, then they can't really be that happy to see him go?!

Indeed. It did smack of them acting like a dumped bird.....
  • Options
    Like most fans, including us, if a player leaves their club then he is, to some, a traitor and automatically rubbish, flash in the pan etc, etc regardless of how well he played before.

However Palace fans do seem to take this trait to an extreme with little light or shade

Better to read back to the last few games of the season and see what Palace fans were saying then
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Like most fans, including us, if a player leaves their club then he is, to some, a traitor and automatically rubbish, flash in the pan etc, etc regardless of how well he played before.
    Not me H, I said all along that, Baby Bent as well as Parker, Reid, Deano, Young were all crap. ; ) useless the lot of them, oh and sack the board as well. ; )
  • Options
    My dad when we first saw paddy, said he is just reminds him of phil chapple!
    A week later i saw him at shithurst and he was absolutely fantastic!Im not sure about hudson, but as the season
    has gone on paddy has proven to me that he is a good defender!Yes he made mistakes and has his weaknesses but doesnt rio,terry and all other good defenders have them!
    Paddy and Magic for about 6 games were an outstanding pair until magic got injured! i truly believe if we had kept magic fit we would of had a much better shot at the playoffs!!
    But i hope paddy doesnt go palace!
  • Options
    When I firstsaw Paddy I was not a fan but I thought Paddy was one of our best players by the end of the season even contributing a few goals
  • Options
    Paddy is one of those who frequented our first team in the Chapple/Balmer dare I say it Youds mould ten or so years ago. And I'm afraid is about as good as we will get at this level. Good honest pro who likes a dust up but not as technically gifted as some in the division above.

Perfect foil for Magic he is and I would be sad to see him go especially as Hudson seems to be an identikit version of Paddy
  • Options
    We seem split on the paddy debate!

He was awful at first then improved big time before a number of costly mistakes, Wolves, QPR. Jury still out but I feel we should give him another season to prove himself. We need competition, Hudson or Magic get injured who do we have? Fortune? No thanks. There was some solid performances from Paddy and if he can cut out the major mistakes,in a team full of confidence and poss fully settled now, we may see a better player.

As for Gray, similar to Paddy, loss of confidence, shite service, he will come good I'm sure, got to give them time, they must deliever now though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

How many times did we play the same back four week on week? Shirty/anyone?

I had to dig out the Coventry prog to work this one out, so here goes.

On three occasions the same back four played Six times in a row.

Mills, Sir Chris, Boggy and Fortune. 18 Sep to 20 Oct. Norwich, Leicester, Coventry, Hull, Barnsley and Wolves.

3 Wins, 2 Draws and the 1 Defeat against Wolves. Sir Chris was injured in that game hence the change for the Plymouth game. 5 goals conceded in the six games, with 2 clean sheets.

Mills, Basey, Sodje, Fortune. 27 Oct to 27 Nov. Qpr, Southampton, Bristol City, Cardiff, Preston and Sheff Utd.

4 Wins and 2 defeats. 4 clean sheets. Sir Chris came back in for Basey after the 3 nil home defeat to Sheff U. 4 goals conceded in the six games.

Moo2, Youga, Paddy and Boggy. 5 Jan to Feb 2. West Brom Fac, Blackpool, West Brom Replay, Watford, Stoke and Scunthorpe.

In the 4 league games in that period, there were 2 Wins, 1 Draw and the defeat to Scunny, where Moo2 was dropped for Halford, after his bo boo for Scunny’s winner

After that the nearest would be five times when Halford, Thatcher, Paddy and Sodje played against Burnley, Ipswich, West Brom, Wolves and Plymouth. Sodje got injuried in the Plymouth game, meaning Boggy came back in.

Only the one win in them five games with 8 goals conceded.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have to say shirty thats some great digging and makes very interesting reading. Just goes to show what many people have already said that finding a settled back 4 is the most important thing at the moment.
  • Options
    Thanks Shirty but disappointed that you had to look that up : - )

So we did have a settled back four but it was four different back fours.

From what we have now I'd pick Moo2, Hudson, Magic and Youga but along time to go before 9 August.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    in summary played 16, won 9, drew 3, lost 3 = 1.9 pts per game

But ….. you cannot say a back-four is settled for the 1st or 2nd game in a sequence, so need to discount the first two games of each sequence.

However this is where the best results were! Discounting the cup game, it is played 5, won 4, lost 1 - a fantastic 2.4 pts per game - from there it is quickly downhill (1.6 pts per game).

Based on those figures we should change the back-four every two games :-)
  • Options
    Oi Shirty5!
    I am waiting for you analyse the results for games when the back-four was:

(a) changed from previous game
    (b) same as previous 1 game (only)
    (c) same as previous 2 games (only)
    (d) same as previous 3+ games

Hurry up ;-)
  • Options
    I'm beginning to wonder if this Paddy to Palarse rumour is just as scurrillious as the Hooligan to Narwich one started by an Ipswich fan.
  • Options
    Rumoured to have completed yesterday.

Cheers Paddy, will never knock anyone who gives 100%.

But you weren't good enough for where we want to be.
  • Options
    AFKA, you are the only lad who is spot on with news like this.

Same sentiments, thanks for the effort, don't have a blinder against us next season.
  • Options
    no lose

Bye bye
  • Options
    Agreed AFKA gave his all and played well in patches but just not good enough.

wouldn't be too disappointed if he stayed but not gutted he goes
  • Options
    Bye Paddy - good luck