Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paddy to Palace

Comments

• Options
    Personally think this is a cracking bit of business by ourselves.

McCarthy was good for the second half of the season, but I saw him at fault for a few goals where he should've done better. Bu on the whole he was solid, but I always thought he looked like something might go wrong for him.

And then we get £500k for him and have already replaced him like for like in Hudson for free. Who is arguably a better player and more proven at this level.

Shame the 500k will be spent on Halford but that's life.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_McCarthy

Reserves - Does this make you any happier ?

don't hang about do they
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite][quote]

don't hang about do they[/quote]

In that case, we have signed Stuart Fleetwood
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Fleetwood
  • Options
    Zheng Zhi also can play centre back, he played there loads of times in china, oh bugger hes going too.. maybe its the master plan, our new comanding dominant centre back will be........ Amdy Faye!!! he played there once in the prem looked ok to be fair.
  • Options
    Noo mention of Paulo Monteiro's release anywhere yet ...
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/playerdisplay.ink?skip=17&season=2007/2008
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Zheng Zhi also can play centre back, he played there loads of times in china, oh bugger hes going too.. maybe its the master plan, our new comanding dominant centre back will be........ Amdy Faye!!! he played there once in the prem looked ok to be fair.[/quote]

Wasn't that against Bolton and he gave away a penalty?
  • Options
    yeah thats why i said he looked ok, he actually put a challenge in all be it a clumsey one, he didnt just stand and watch the ball go into the net! im sure he played there at the valley too, cant rember which game it was, it was like watching steve brown in goal. looked the part but mainly just dived everywhere and hope for the best, apart from brownies save at villa park that is, makes van der sar look like andy petterson.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite][quote]

don't hang about do they[/quote]

In that case, we have signed Stuart Fleetwood
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Fleetwood[/url][/quote]

So how does Wikipedia get updated and by whom? Always seems correct to me except for that ex- Newcastle goalie who was referred to as fattie :-) ?????
  • Options
    from a Palace messageboard : McCarthy is at least as good as Hudson, he will not make the same amount of mistakes as Hudson did and i think he will help to improve our already impressive defence.
    So, both defenders make mistakes. What a surprise. Have we just signed like for like but gained 500k ? However, Palace fans reckon Hudson was on a lot more than they are paying Paddy so in the long run it's cost us. It's gonna be interesting to see how this one pans out next season. I for one don't beleive Paddy was anywhere near as bad as some make out and I would have liked him to stay.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

So how does Wikipedia get updated and by whom? Always seems correct to me except for that ex- Newcastle goalie who was referred to as fattie :-) ?????

I think anybody can, at the beginning of last season it said we'd signed Ben Sahar on loan from Chelsea and that never happened.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good bit of work by Pards - I'm sure that Hudson will be on higher wages and have a higher signing on fee, but financially and player wise we've got the better end of the deal. McCarthy is a worthy enough player, but he's never going to be premiership material, while Hudson might well be good enough if we get promoted.
  • Options
    He's actually gone! Best news I've heard all week! :)
  • Options
    I'm surprised, but quite pleased. Especially if it means that Boogy is staying for another season.
  • Options
    In all honesty if Mcarthy wasnt a 'run through a brick wall/Wears his heart on his sleeve' kind of player then there would be no arguments or sticking up for him whatsover, he was my sons favourite player because he hates it when the crowd get on players backs and sticks up for them but if you take the sentiment away he was awful at defending in any shape or form.

Good luck though Paddy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]He's actually gone! Best news I've heard all week! :)

not on the O/S yet
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]In all honesty if Mcarthy wasnt a 'run through a brick wall/Wears his heart on his sleeve' kind of player then there would be no arguments or sticking up for him whatsover, he was my sons favourite player because he hates it when the crowd get on players backs and sticks up for them but if you take the sentiment away he was awful at defending in any shape or form.

Good luck though Paddy

I agree that he runs through brick walls and gives 100% but disagree somewhat in that he was awful at defending. In the Championhip, the division we play in, he is more than good enough and I reckon he'll do well at Palace. It will be interesting to see who we replace him with as at the moment we have Bouggy and Hudson as in my opinion JF will go too. If we sign Sodje for more than 500k I reckon that'll be a bad deal as of the two I'd much prefer Paddy.
  • Options
    I was never convinced by Paddy. A whole-hearted type of player but always liable to make a couple of mistakes each match and put us under pressure. So I'm not sorry to see him go. Haven't seen much of Hudson but my Palace supporting colleague thinks that we've probably got the best of the swap because Hudson is good in the air and one of our weaknesses last season was defending high balls into the box. I'm hopeful Hudson will do well.
  • Options
    I find this disappointing. I hope we have got the best out of this "swap". I don't criticise Pards for wanting to bring in Hudson or deciding to sell Paddy but I think that Paddy is far better than many, if not all on here give him credit.
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see how he gets on there Bing.

Personally i've already stated i don't rate him. I think a lot of the good things people see in paddy are done in recovery when he was out-thought or out-run earlier in the phase of play. He wasn't strong enough in the air, so you needed someone with a better arial presence next to him. But he was also very slow, so you needed someone with pace next to him. Anyone half decent with those two attributes is playing in the prem, not the championship.

I like this move by Pardew, its decisive, and he will be judged on it.
  • Options
    whats worrying me a little is whether Pards sees this as the remedy of the issues he's identified (i.e. the defence) or whether he sees the midfield as also (if not the main) problem, I guess time will tell.
  • Options
    Is this confirmed?

Can't see it on the official site?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    I like this move by Gordon Brown, its decisive, and he will be judged on it.
  • Options
    so that's how many hours after we found out that the club make it official....

thank god we have afka
  • Options
    Off topic, as usual - but others have mentioned Stuart Fleetwood on this thread.

Anyone actually look at his Wiki page?

Apart from being a Welsh footballer born in England lol, he's actually only 5'8"
    Blimey! even AFKA's taller than that ....... (!)

;o)
  • Options
    erm.....
  • Options
    so does undisclosed mean we have been shafted or have we shafted Palace. Still no mention of Monteiro's release.
  • Options
    or that other guy we signed from that non league club.....dorian smith
  • Options
    official
    http://shop.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32484
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]or that other guy we signed from that non league club.....dorian smith

No Ross, we signed Dorian Gray ..... (that'd cause chaos in the dressing room)
    or was it Dorien Green from that old TV prog "Birds of a Feather"
  • Options
    If McCarthy going means Bougherra is staying then I am well pleased.

As for the Monteiro thing he has already gone back, still under contract for a couple of weeks but as you know whose is at the training ground in june....?
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    oh dear it looks like he's upset them already by suggesting that we are rivals LOL

http://www.cpfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsHome/0,,10323,00.html

At least Hudson had the sense to point out that he was joining a better side !