Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paddy to Palace

Comments

• Options
    if this isn't true we still need another centre back. if paddy goes we have hudson, fortune and magic. still no word on sodje.

if this is true, and i trust afka's sources, then i don't see why he should go, hasn't done anything wrong imo, and was our most improved player over the season. good luck big mac.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]if this isn't true we still need another centre back. if paddy goes we have hudson, fortune and magic. still no word on sodje.

if this is true, and i trust afka's sources, then i don't see why he should go, hasn't done anything wrong imo, and was our most improved player over the season. good luck big mac.

as much to do with the need to raise money to strengthen other areas than the fact he's done anything wrong. If it's half a mil and we can get another Bosman centre half in then that'll help towards a decent midfielder. Neeeds must I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Cribbed from the SLP this morning.....AFKA does it again

CRYSTAL Palace manager Neil Warnock has made his first signing of the summer - signing Charlton defender Paddy McCarthy on a three-year deal.

The Eagles are believed to have paid in the region of £500,000 for the former Republic of Ireland international.

Eagles boss Neil Warnock said: "I've chased Paddy for about five years and I'm delighted to get him.

"I think I can make him a better player and it's great to fit someone in our squad who I can trust straight away."

For the full story get Friday's South London Press.
  • Options
    Eagles boss Neil Warnock said: "I've chased Paddy for about five years"

LOL, you may be a half-decent manager Warnock, but you must be the only man in football that couldn't catch up with Paddy !
  • Options
    so we basically swapped centre backs with half a mil coming our way.....nice bit of business pards!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Eagles boss Neil Warnock said: "I've chased Paddy for about five years"

LOL, you may be a half-decent manager Warnock, but you must be the only man in football that couldn't catch up with Paddy !

Took the words right out of my mouth!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]so we basically swapped centre backs with half a mil coming our way.....nice bit of business pards!

Not as clear as that. As a free, i'm sure there will be some form of signing on fee in Hudson's case, and i suspect he may be on slightly higher wages, so net net i think there will be little in it.

The only thing that matters is which one is better, which we don't currently know. Although from what i hear of Hudson, he is a lot more dominent arially that McCarthy, something that was a problem last year and forced us to bring Sodje in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]so we basically swapped centre backs with half a mil coming our way.....nice bit of business pards!

Not as clear as that. As a free, i'm sure there will be some form of signing on fee in Hudson's case, and i suspect he may be on slightly higher wages, so net net i think there will be little in it.

The only thing that matters is which one is better, which we don't currently know. Although from what i hear of Hudson, he is a lot more dominent arially that McCarthy, something that was a problem last year and forced us to bring Sodje in.

so what if he's a better singer
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    yeah compare hudsons wages and signing on fee to paddys and i think you'll find the half a million...
    simply not good enough for a top 6 championship side
    hopefully it means bouggy stays i like the potential a hudson bouggy partnership brings
    thanks for the effort paddy and you really will fit in to a mid to bottom half championship team that under their manager reached the play offs (fair play) as opposed to our top 6 side that under our manager could only make 11th(disgraceful)
  • Options
    so we have got Hudson and £500k, not bad business, only if we get a replacement for Paddy though at the same price, no Sodje or Paddy, therefor we would have to buy atleast one more centre back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i think the worrying thing now is IF magic goes then we'll have yet another new backline for next season
  • Options
    I can picture Tangoman authorising that payment to us. Grrrr
  • Options
    Well its essential we keep Bougy now.

Why do people think another CB will be brought in ? At present with Sodje, Paddy and Hudson, we are one down on last season, and given the soundbytes about running with a much smaller squad, that sounds in line.

I can only see one more coming in if either MB or JF move on.
  • Options
    sodje isn't ours though....
  • Options
    we were paying him though !

i meant numbers wise.
  • Options
    What about the bloke we got and tried to loan to Accrington Stanley, Monteiro was it? He's a centre back isn't he?

Got any more news mystic AFKA?
  • Options
    To save me reading all the posts....has Paddy definitely gone to Palarse?
  • Options
    monteiro is here until now, with his reserve form deciding if we give him a contract or not. as for sodje we've got an option to buy, but whether pards will take up that option is undecided
  • Options
    If we keep magic and have hudson and we still have fortune in reserve as much as he annoys me he did have some ok games last term, there is no reason why they couldnt get a younger CB on loan for the season like stoke did, think sodje wont come back as sonko left them he will be needed and is a useful championship centre back, bit gutted about paddy just he was one of the few who would come over and clap us whatever the result, still reckon pards as a few cards up his sleve, will get more interesting on july 1st when all the free agents will be up for grabs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]monteiro is here until now, with his reserve form deciding if we give him a contract or not. as for sodje we've got an option to buy, but whether pards will take up that option is undecided

Is that right, i've never seen it mentioned?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Semedo is a centre half too
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]monteiro is here until now, with his reserve form deciding if we give him a contract or not.as for sodje we've got an option to buy, but whether pards will take up that option is undecided

Is that right, i've never seen it mentioned?
    i'm sure it was mentioned somewhere on the OS either just before or just after the end of the season
  • Options
    I liked him as a full back... what about Cory Gibbs? doh!
  • Options
    makes me wonder if we are in the hunt for Kaspar Gorkss as we are now short at centre half esp as I also think JF will go.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Can someone make my day and confirm Paddy's gone?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]Can someone make my day and confirm Paddy's gone?

Yes
  • Options
    Monterio of whatever his name is was released.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Monterio of whatever his name is was released.

nice of them to tell us !!
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_McCarthy

Reserves - Does this make you any happier ?
  • Options
    that 500k will be straight out the door for halford i feel...