Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst individual performance from a player.

Comments

• Options
    Bob Bolder's debut against Man City away.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Perhaps not the worst performance, but the worst 5 minutes I can recall was a period by Mike Kenning. I can't recall the exact details, but it went something like this - 1) Cut in from wing and shot powerfully hitting the corner flag 2) Cut in from wing and shot powerfully with the ball going for a throw in 3) Blazed 2 miles over the bar 4) Cut inside, went to shoot and had a 'fresh air' shot. I can't remember the game; I am sure Len will.

Important to let those on here who don't remember Mike Kenning as being a bloody good player....what a shot he had too for quite a slightly built fella...take yer head off if you didn't dive outa the way!
  • Options
    Amdy Faye away to Forest in the Cup. An unbeatable effort.
  • Options
    carl tiler everytime he pulled on a charlton shirt
  • Options
    Any (under) performance by that tower of strength Peter Shaw, for those that remember in the late 70's and early 80's he was a centre back. He was so bad that the crowd turned on him big time, so much so that they printed a piece in the program asking the crowd to lay off our players. So we all sang Peter Shaw, Peter Shaw, Peter Shaw, Peter Shaw, Peter Shaw, Peter Shaw, Peter Shaw, Peter Shaw, Peter Shaw, Peter Shaw, Peter Shaw, he then gave the covered end a wave and we continued singing w@nk,w@nk,w@nk,w@nk,w@nk,w@nk,w@nk,w@nk,w@nk etc etc. One of the funniest crowd performances I have had the pleasure to be part off!!
    For some reason he played even worse that day, can't think why???
  • Options
    There was a while when Jamie Stuart went from decent potential to huge ineptitude, bery quickly. There was about 3 or 4 games where he could just do nothing right. Wonder what caused that.

To be fair, Halford at Blackpool last year, gave him a run for his money.
  • Options
    I'd have to go along with the Mike Small debut at Millwall. We didn't know who he was and thought he was one of their ground staff as none of our players went anywhere near him.

Wasn't that also the Linvoy Primas debut or am I getting muddled up with another match ?
  • Options
    Mike Small at the spanners
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: FOD[/cite]Diawara against Wycombe?

Narrowly ahead of M Bent in the same game. Shameful lack of effort.
  • Options
    El Khalej at home to Leeds was truly awful.
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned any number of Neil Redfearn performances. So much expected, so little delivered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Perhaps not the worst performance, but the worst 5 minutes I can recall was a period by Mike Kenning. I can't recall the exact details, but it went something like this - 1) Cut in from wing and shot powerfully hitting the corner flag 2) Cut in from wing and shot powerfully with the ball going for a throw in 3) Blazed 2 miles over the bar 4) Cut inside, went to shoot and had a 'fresh air' shot. I can't remember the game; I am sure Len will.

Important to let those on here who don't remember Mike Kenning as being a bloody good player....what a shot he had too for quite a slightly built fella...take yer head off if you didn't dive outa the way!

Well put, SoundAs.

Mike Kenning had 2 spells with us, playing for a top-flight Wolves in between, I believe.

He was that rare animal, the goalscoring winger - fast, direct, hard working - and had one hell of a piledriver shot on him.
    His speciality was stunning rocket shots from outside the box and contributed many spectacular match winning goals.

If he was playing for Charlton today, he'd be everyone's hero.
  • Options
    Shawn Bartlett against Fulham i think. Missed a tap in from two inches and it went out for a throw.
  • Options
    The whole team against Wycombe......Few to remember, Gritty at Selhurst against Bradford City...I gave him an earful too. The downhill slide of Jamie Stuart. Any game in a Charlton shirt by Ralph Milne. Greg Halford several times last season. Waggy against Yeovil...felt sorry for the kid, so out of his depth.
  • Options
    I recall Kim Grant getting booed off one week
  • Options
    Bob Bolder against the goonershit at The Libruary in the League Cup around 1988. Total mare we lost 4 nil could have been 10 and had great support there. When he caught a back pass (u could then) everyone cheared ! Only good thing about the game was playing spot the gooner fan.

Bolder went on to be a very very good keeper for us but have to say anyone seeing that (think it was his debut) would have never believed he would.
  • Options
    Diawarra at Wigan, Small at Millwall
  • Options
    Most of the ones i can remember have been mentioned.

Amazing how many remember Mike Small's appearance at Millwall, considering how few of us were there !

As for others, Basey had a mare at Blackpool last year, Steve Brown got destroyed by Ricky Otto at Southend while playing right back, Faye x 5, Marcus Bent at Reading...
  • Options
    Bryan Hughes when we played Hull last year.

Just for that corner.
  • Options
    Paul Konchesky at rightback at Elland Road.
    Couldnt tackle,couldnt control the ball and couldnt pass.

And I might be doing him a disservice as cant fully remember but am sure Gordon Watson lost the ball twice in 2 mins at Millwall letting them get a 2-2 draw after we went 2-0 up in 85th minute.
  • Options
    And I might be doing him a disservice as cant fully remember but am sure Gordon Watson lost the ball twice in 2 mins at Millwall letting them get a 2-2 draw after we went 2-0 up in 85th minute.

Surely Colin Walsh was at fault for one of the goals - taking a corner and opting to pass it in the general direction of the half-way line rather than short or even into the penalty box.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The entire side against Forest away in the cup a few years back, never been so embarassed for a group of so-called 'professionals'.
  • Options
    Amdy Faye - Liverpool at home 0-3. Absolutely, unspeakably, unutterably dreadful. From the second minute when Traore pussied out of heading clear against the enormous presence of Jermaine Pennant and gave away possibly the stupidest penalty in the history of Association Football this was the worst performance I've ever seen from a Charlton team in the 30 years I've been watching us. I think there have probably been times when we've played more poorly technically, but there's never been a 'performance' where so little effort and enthusiasm hads been displayed - even against Wycombe.

Faye, however, has to be singled out for 'special' attention. I have to say that just before he was substituted I was on the verge of physically attacking the useless sack of sh1t. The complete lack of respect and commitment he showed my club despite being paid about 25 grand a week was the moment I was completely sure that football was ruined for me. Scumbag.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Amdy Faye - Liverpool at home 0-3. Absolutely, unspeakably, unutterably dreadful. From the second minute when Traore pussied out of heading clear against the enormous presence of Jermaine Pennant and gave away possibly the stupidest penalty in the history of Association Football this was the worst performance I've ever seen from a Charlton team in the 30 years I've been watching us. I think there have probably been times when we've played more poorly technically, but there's never been a 'performance' where so little effort and enthusiasm hads been displayed - even against Wycombe.

Faye, however, has to be singled out for 'special' attention. I have to say that just before he was substituted I was on the verge of physically attacking the useless sack of sh1t. The complete lack of respect and commitment he showed my club despite being paid about 25 grand a week was the moment I was completely sure that football was ruined for me. Scumbag.[/quote]

Remember it well. There was a moment in the second half when Faye suddenly bolted for a ball that was heading to the great Traore, took it off his toe and hammered a pass into touch, I swear the nearest Charlton shirt was 30 yards away. Absolute, unmitigated tosh. I keep in touch with an ex-colleague who is a Rangers fan, when we loaned them Faye I was too embarassed to email him about it. More recently, we were exchanging mails re. Bougherra, and he described Faye as "the worst footballer he had ever seen, bar Egil Ostenstat", who seems to be their equivalent of Mike Small. I think Alan Hansen described that display against Liverpool as one of the worst he's seen from a PL team, and it would be hard to argue with that.
  • Options
    There's been many over the years but one recent one that springs readily to mind was El K away to Forest in the cup...anyone remember his 3 foul throws that day???
    Mind you, there were a few others that day who should be damned ashamed to call themselves pro's!!
  • Options
    Traore v West Ham first match of the relegation season. Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet!

(And leave my Dennis alone...grrr)
  • Options
    Ones that stick on my mind:- El Khalej vs Leeds, Faye vs Liverpool, Diawarra vs Wigan, Thatcher vs Barnsley last season - utter garbage the lot of them
  • Options
    Thatcher away to Blackburn too - final nail in the relegation coffin, that was.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Thatcher away to Blackburn too - final nail in the relegation coffin, that was.

When he took out Bentley knee high, make you right Weegie, I accepted our fate then.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Thatcher away to Blackburn too - final nail in the relegation coffin, that was.

When he took out Bentley knee high, make you right Weegie, I accepted our fate then.

I was never comfortable with signing him, and despite some good early performances, knew one day he would show his true thuggish colours. Unfortunately he chose that day :-(
  • Options
    Anthony Barness at Port Vale away was a particular stinker I remember

About a dozen of Redfearns showings.

Spector away at Boro stands out for me too he was dreadful.