Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New to the site ? tell us where you live

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: raymondao[/cite]Born in Dartford, grew up in Crayford,now living in "the sunniest place in England" Eastbourne (gods waiting room)
    first match was when i was 10 caught the train with Lee edwards,from cayford, and watched Charlton v QPR with Rodney Marsh playing as center forward
    spent half the game chanting "rodney is a fairy" with the rest of the covered end
    happy days

cant remember the score does anyone know ? think it was 1970[/quote]

If it was the 69/70 season 1 - 1.[/quote]

The game I remember when the North Stand chanted "Rodney is a fairy" was the following year (70-71) when we were stuffed 3-0. I thought it was 2-0 but just looked it up to make sure.
  • Options
    I have been living in Nairobi, Kenya for five years. It is evening, as I write, but the temperature is still around 25 degrees Celsius. I visited the UK at Christmas, staying near Banbury, and I could not remember it ever being that cold.
    Watching football here is something of a no go for two reasons. Firstly, it really is a quite poor standard, not least because the pitches are so rough. Secondly, they tend to throw things with abandon, so you can be watching and have a bottle bounce off the back of your head!
    We were living in Essex at the time and we used to visit my late grandparents in Sandtoft Avenue every couple of months. So it was natural that we should go to a match. I remember when I first went to the Valley - around 1964, I think. I saw us draw 0-0 with Sunderland who won promotion that season, with us in fourth, but well before the excitement of the play-offs. There was a noisy and good natured 30,000 crowd. Whatever happened to rattles? I also recall walking through sand dunes to get to the ground, which was open on three sides.
    Another game I saw was a 2-2 draw with Carlisle. We were 2-0 up until well into the second half. Carlisle pulled one back with a screamer into the roof of the net. Then, towards the final whistle, there was a long shot towards the Charlton goal. Charlie Wright went down to gather it, the ball went through his legs, hit the post, deflected across the goal, where a Carlisle player beat the defender to the ball and equalised. Plus ca change...
  • Options
    Woolwich, Abbey Wood, Thamesmead, Bournemouth, Poole
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: route one[/cite]think i am the only charlton fan in beckenham

No theres me and a few pals in BR3. Always enjoyable cheering on the Addicks on tv in Patricks with the Palace shirts adorning the walls.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley Ant
    The game I remember when the North Stand chanted "Rodney is a fairy"

Was never proved
  • Options
    Lewisham Hospital - Blackheath and now South Catford
  • Options
    Born in Tonbridge, raised in Blackheath/Lewisham and now in MendoncaTeesWrightVille .. a k a Grimsby
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]Born in Woolwich, moved to Plumstead when I got married, bought my first house in Welling, then moved to Bexleyheath, I now live in St Mary's Platt, Kent.[/quote/]

Same here........on maidstrone road
  • Options
    Sorry, should be Maidstone Road.......
  • Options
    Interesting thread with some great comments. Well, I was raised in Ashford (Kent) after moving there at a very young age from Stockwell. My late Dad was originally from Plumstead and much of my formative years were spent there visiting relatives. I can remember being shown the outside of The Valley by my Dad and being in complete awe of the massive East Terrace. However, the first ever match I was taken to by a family friend was Arsenal v Liverpool in 1976 at Highbury and that kind of got me hooked. My Dad must have felt guilty though and started taking me to Charlton, my first game against Sheff Utd in 77/78(ish?) and I vividly remember sitting in the old West Stand watching a 2-1 CAFC victory! So, from then on, and despite being a gooner, Charlton has always had a special place in my heart. Due to work, I have been exiled in Norwich since 1996 (although now work in Buckinghamshire! - yes, it's complicated) and my 14 year old son (courtesy of his uncle - bcaddick) is CAFC mad which, considering he has never lived there and he is surrounded by either Norwich, Man Utd or Chelsea fans at school, makes me really proud. To that end, we regularly go to The Valley and have also managed 5 away games this season (he has also been away mascot at Wigan and Norwich!). I must say, I probably get more pleasure out of taking him to Charlton than I do when I go to Arsenal and to this day my most memorable footballing experience for shear passion and exhilaration is the play off final v Sunderland (and that includes going to the Bernabeau to watch Arsenal beat Madrid!). So, if there is such a thing as being able to have a passion for and to follow two teams at once then I guess I have it. And there is no greater feeling for me than when I am at The Valley and the teams come running out to 'Red Red Robin', because I just know that my old man is looking down at it with a smile on his face.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sheffield exile
  • Options
    Born in gravesend, living now... the name says it all.
  • Options
    wot so u can burgal us, no fear!
  • Options
    Born in the old Greenwich hospital , lived in Kidbrooke for 43 years now in Thamesmead .( boy i must have upset someone in my previous life)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: fadgadget[/cite]Born in the old Greenwich hospital , lived in Kidbrooke for 43 years now in Thamesmead .( boy i must have upset someone in my previous life)

You mean St Alfeges, or the Miller hospital.......before Greenwich district!.
    43 years in Kidbooke.... and now Thamesmead, you poor soul, anytime of a release date yet!
  • Options
    Born in Greenwich lived in woolwich now i live on the west coast of ireland!! Surrounded by man u liverpool chelsea and arsenal fans!!!!! All glory hunters
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: fadgadget[/cite]Born in the old Greenwich hospital , lived in Kidbrooke for 43 years now in Thamesmead .( boy i must have upset someone in my previous life)

You mean St Alfeges, or the Miller hospital.......before Greenwich district!.
    43 years in Kidbooke.... and now Thamesmead, you poor soul, anytime of a release date yet!

I'm hoping time off for good behaviour, or a lottery win .
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    born in st nicks in plumstead lived in eltham went to henwick primary then kidbrooke secondry school ..but now im living in walderslade kent .wernt really into football much as a kid although i did have a old charlton jumper if that counts :) been following charlton since the 99/2000 season when they won the div 1 . had a season ticket for 3 years 2001-2004 dont go to many games now as i work almost everyday but ive taken my boys to see a few cup games latest was barnet. liam 11 and when louie was born who is now 6 charlton were flying high. so i named him louie charlton :)

peace out superdec..
  • Options
    i think this thread has served its time in Purdah and has earned a comeback
  • Options
    Born in Sidcup, Lived in Catford for 18 years, moved back to Sidcup for 8 years, now been in Bromley for 6 years. I'm like a yo-yo with Kent and South London.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Born in Lewisham, pinged around catford, hither green and lewisham, then onto Chislehurst, now living in Woolwich
  • Options
    Born in Woolwich (Military Maternity Hospital) - lived in Woolwich and then Plumstead until I got married and then moved down to Maidstone. Moved up to Cheshire in 2007.
  • Options
    Born and raised in Welling, now live in sunny Sidcup.
  • Options

Canterbury - stayed here after Uni and work in Whitstable.

Originally from Bexleyheath, so chose my local team as a kid.

Have moved around but not far since then, Whitstable, then back to Canterbury for a bit and now in a little village called Herne just down the road.

Whitstable was the best one!
  • Options
    Gravesend borne and bred but escaped in the early 80's for scotland came back in the late 80's to live nr Basingstoke.
  • Options
    Originally from Abbey Wood, but now living in Stockport. The epicentre of NW based CAFC fans.
  • Options
    Born in Woolwich (mothers and babies clinic) and then lived at Slade Green, Sidcup, Erith, Sidcup again, Thamesmead, West Thamesmead, Woolwich, Greenwich, Woolwich Dockyard, Medway and now St Annes on the Sea, Lancashire.
  • Options
    Lived in Peckham, Woolwich, Eltham and now I've just bought a house in New Ash Green. Once it goes through you can meet me in the swan.
    You're buying though
  • Options
    The title of this thread sounds like a threat.

Still in for a penny and all that. Born in Woolwich, lived in Eltham, Charlton and then Plumstead before moving down to Challock near Ashford in Kent a couple of years ago. I am now late for most games as a result.