Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Green

Comments

• Options
    They should ask Tony Livesey if he fancies it.
  • Options
    I've heard it's going to be Savage. Groan!!

Tony Livesey is a great broadcaster, love his evening show.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I just hope that we don't get Savage, Roberts, Bright, Chapman, Fletcher or any other of the usual suspects ..... and oh .......... PLEASE not a woman

I like Mark Chapman and Darren Fletcher. Chappers is off to do MOTD2 next season so it won't be him. Hopefully not bloody Colin Murray!
    I'd rather a journo than an ex-player like Savage or Roberts etc. Ray Stubbs was best at it but he's on ESPN now I think.

As for Baker, he should stick to music as he knows simply nothinig about football as his efforts on 606, original presenter or not, have shown in the past.
    Baker knows a lot about football, but approaches it from a different angle, which if often very refreshing
    If you mean knowing about football is knowing how many matches have been stopped by an animal on the pitch, or which team played with an escaped prisoner or which ground serves the biggest range of pies or which club fielded an entire brass band in the starting XI then yes hes knows a lot.
    But actually about football? Nah.

He started 606 and it's never been anywhere near as good since. Engaging, funny and extraordinarily knowledgeable about the game, and especially brilliant when he was paired with Danny Kelly on TalkSport. Yes it's left field, but it's much closer to your after-game chat in the pub than the banal crap we get from the Bland Broadcasting Corporation these days. You stick to your Robbie Savages, it's Baker every time for me.
  • Options
    Robbie Savage huh? His stance at times seems to be if you've never played professional football then what you say has zilch credibility.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Robbie Savage huh? His stance at times seems to be if you've never played professional football then what you say has zilch credibility.

I'd disagree, its actually quite refreshing having someone in the media who has been playing football recently commenting on issues in the game.

You could also say that the sort of fans who call into 606 always think they are right and rarely do they budge.
  • Options
    tom I don't think you quite got what I said. I don't mind having ex-players on the media, but if they then think what you say has no credibility because you never played the game it is patronising in the extreme. As they say, I can't play the violin, but I can tell when it is being played out of tune.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

seth plum said:

I'd disagree, its actually quite refreshing having someone in the media who has been playing football recently commenting on issues in the game.

You could also say that the sort of fans who call into 606 always think they are right and rarely do they budge.
    Seriously? All we've ever had is a succession of players who have played recently or, and this really gets my goat, who are STILL playing.

Unless it's Joey Barton (ffs!) you're not going to get anything at all interesting from someone who might be a teammate of the player in question after the next transfer window or wants to stay on the managers side as they might be walking in the dressing room one day.

I give you Michael Owen for example but it could be any number of them tbh.

• Options
    The views of the likes of Savage for me are a lot more relevant compared to the likes of Thompson, Laurenson, Hanson, Nicholas etc. None of which have played in the modern game, which lets be honest, is a million miles away from the sport they played in their day.

You get fans who call into 606 and round off the simple, usual "Footballers are overpaid, they only train 2 hours a day etc" responses to topics that are completely irrelevant to whats being discussed.

Savage might come across as patronizing to some, but if he disagrees with a point that a caller has made then he is well within his rights to say "I've got 20 years of recent first hand experience of this, this this...". If someone calls in and slags off his profession and tries telling him how his lifestyle is as a footballer, why shouldn't he stick up for himself?

Same as in any walk of life - I couldn't go up to you and try educating you on the profession you've spent your life doing without expecting some sort of informed response.

He gets dogs abuse a lot of the time, but he carries it with a sense of humor which I like.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I just hope that we don't get Savage, Roberts, Bright, Chapman, Fletcher or any other of the usual suspects ..... and oh .......... PLEASE not a woman

I like Mark Chapman and Darren Fletcher. Chappers is off to do MOTD2 next season so it won't be him. Hopefully not bloody Colin Murray!
    I'd rather a journo than an ex-player like Savage or Roberts etc. Ray Stubbs was best at it but he's on ESPN now I think.

As for Baker, he should stick to music as he knows simply nothinig about football as his efforts on 606, original presenter or not, have shown in the past.
    Baker knows a lot about football, but approaches it from a different angle, which if often very refreshing
    If you mean knowing about football is knowing how many matches have been stopped by an animal on the pitch, or which team played with an escaped prisoner or which ground serves the biggest range of pies or which club fielded an entire brass band in the starting XI then yes hes knows a lot.

He started 606 and it's never been anywhere near as good since. Engaging, funny and extraordinarily knowledgeable about the game, and especially brilliant when he was paired with Danny Kelly on TalkSport. Yes it's left field, but it's much closer to your after-game chat in the pub than the banal crap we get from the Bland Broadcasting Corporation these days. You stick to your Robbie Savages, it's Baker every time for me.
    Well I actually said I don't like Savage but don't bother reading before commenting.

All this Baker started 606 crap! He may have been the first presenter on the new Radio 5 when it started but he hardly invented the football phone-in! They have been on local radio for decades.
    I'm glad I don't drink with you and your mates after a game!
    "Did you see their No.10? His middle name is the same as the first track on Rick Wakeman's The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table "
    Group chortle!!
  • Options
    606 is generally a load cringe worthy of crap.Some pissed up supporters talking rubbish with poor pundits and commentators.I also see now that Alan Green only seems to commentate on the really big games ie top end Premier and Champions League,why?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

All this Baker started 606 crap! He may have been the first presenter on the new Radio 5 when it started but he hardly invented the football phone-in...

Rikofold is 100% right. There is absolutely no doubt that Baker started 606. And that the whole point of it was that it wasn't anything like a local radio phone in. It was genuinely entertaining and nothing to do with the usual boring nonsense about so and so was off-side, we should have had a penalty, x should be sacked... Such phone ins can work locally because a large proportion of the listeners all support the same club. Baker and co recognised that nationally this sort of phone-in is unrelentingly tedious, because most people don't care if some other team's player should have been sent off. They produced something that anyone with a sense of humour could listen it to and enjoy.

Sadly, 606 morphed out of all recognition when Baker went. It hasn't been the same since. Just a whole succession of presenters doing the bland and banal same old, same old.
  • Options
    Baker brought out the surreal and bizarre side of football.

David Mellor was unpopular and an odd choice, but was useful on the occasions when something serious had happened e.g. British football fans being attacked abroad, as someone who could access people in power.

Since then it's been the standard commentor/former player/current player mix, so fairly predictable.
  • Options
    Please, not Savage.
  • Options
    Will not tune in to Savage.

Nothing personal about him- I just find it embarrassing hearing thick people on BBC radio except as featured in programmes about stupidity.

Sorry but another example of the BBC completely losing the plot on sports broadcasting and reporting.

What happened to professional sports journalists and broadcasters who know their facts and use their experience to get information from players, staff, fans and pundits to educate, inform and entertain?

Live text updates not working, results not reported on website three hours after final whistle, Valley Parade instead of Valley, names of players incorrect on website and FL show, names of scorers incorrect on FL Show etc etc.

Who is that bald northern bloke who reports on lower league clubs on the FL show but is kept off the air by Manish and that Millwall pratt until after 3am?

Hes good.
  • Options
    Well said Stig and Grumpy. Do we need to get the expert opinion of a man who reckons there'd be no problem with altitude in the world cup because he'd been jogging on the beach, and it was fine.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

rikofold said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Well I actually said I don't like Savage but don't bother reading before commenting.

All this Baker started 606 crap! He may have been the first presenter on the new Radio 5 when it started but he hardly invented the football phone-in! They have been on local radio for decades.
    "Did you see their No.10? His middle name is the same as the first track on Rick Wakeman's The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table "
    Group chortle!!
    Can you hurry up and get banned again.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Will not tune in to Savage.

Nothing personal about him- I just find it embarrassing hearing thick people on BBC radio except as featured in programmes about stupidity.

Sorry but another example of the BBC completely losing the plot on sports broadcasting and reporting.

What happened to professional sports journalists and broadcasters who know their facts and use their experience to get information from players, staff, fans and pundits to educate, inform and entertain?

Live text updates not working, results not reported on website three hours after final whistle, Valley Parade instead of Valley, names of players incorrect on website and FL show, names of scorers incorrect on FL Show etc etc.

Who is that bald northern bloke who reports on lower league clubs on the FL show but is kept off the air by Manish and that Millwall pratt until after 3am?

Hes good.

You mean Clem .. he is ok but a bit of a professional Geordie. I agree with almost all of your opinions, the BBC getting down with the lowest common denominator when it should be setting an example, not only in matters sporting but as a general observation ..... Savage .. how did he get the job .. he must be a right good laugh in the showers methinks, Bright, Claridge, Dublin, Roberts, Manish, Kilbane .. f f s how ? why ?., Chapman and Fletcher are merely wannabe comedians, though Fletcher knows his stuff and how Hansen is worth a reported million a year, if true that is scandalous. Sack the lot.
    Ray Stubbs was a big loss to the BBC. I'd like to see Leroy Rosenior given a bigger role, unfortunately his is more of a 'TV' than 'radio' voice.
  • Options
    The FL show isn't made by the BBC, so you can't directly blame the BBC for the silly mistakes on it (like getting the Morrisons muddled up)
  • Options
    Clem is indeed very good. Has a very thorough knowledge and passion for the Football League and is a breath of fresh air from the amount of Premier League loving going on every other sports show.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The FL show isn't made by the BBC, so you can't directly blame the BBC for the silly mistakes on it (like getting the Morrisons muddled up)

The Charlton match day shirt isn't made by Charlton Athletic FC but you would be slightly unimpressed with the club if the players ran out on Saturday at 2.50pm with the Millwall badge sewn on the front.

This is an internationally recognised and publicly owned media brand known for reliability and credibility in news, sport and weather but they don't know the name of the Charlton ground or which Morrison plays for which club?

Someone pass me the silver revolver.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ On a related topic .. on radio 5 yesterday a newsreader called Bombay/Mumbai the capital of India .. THE BBC MAKING A MISTAKE LIKE THAT .. idiocy is amok in every sphere of activity in this country .. not so much lunatics as arrogant know all know nothings have taken over the asylum
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Clem is indeed very good. Has a very thorough knowledge and passion for the Football League and is a breath of fresh air from the amount of Premier League loving going on every other sports show.

That's him. Clem. Why can't we have him on MOTD, FL Show or 606 ??

• Options

cafctom said:

That's him. Clem. Why can't we have him on MOTD, FL Show or 606 ??

For me, Clem's voice for an hour or two would be a no no no no no .. his dulcet overstated Geordie tones would grate .. as does Colin Murray with his over accentuated ooooollllster drivel .. John Humphreys or Jeremy Paxman for 606
  • Options
    You can hear Clem on the Football League Podcast where we has managers, players etc on.

Usually co presents with Bradley Allen, Steve Claridge and more recently Jason Euell.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Tom .. Euell is a good broadcaster, I'm not too sure about Allen & Claridge
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Riviera said:

rikofold said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Group chortle!!
    Can you hurry up and get banned again.

Anytime.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Riviera said:

All this Baker started 606 crap! He may have been the first presenter on the new Radio 5 when it started but he hardly invented the football phone-in...

And that the whole point of it was that it wasn't anything like a local radio phone in. It was genuinely entertaining and nothing to do with the usual boring nonsense about so and so was off-side, we should have had a penalty, x should be sacked... Such phone ins can work locally because a large proportion of the listeners all support the same club. Baker and co recognised that nationally this sort of phone-in is unrelentingly tedious, because most people don't care if some other team's player should have been sent off. They produced something that anyone with a sense of humour could listen it to and enjoy.

Sadly, 606 morphed out of all recognition when Baker went. It hasn't been the same since. Just a whole succession of presenters doing the bland and banal same old, same old.
    What is wrong with you?

"Rikofold is 100% right. There is absolutely no doubt that Baker started 606. "

He did not. He presented it. It was not a new idea.

Bakers version of 606 does not and never did belong to a Sports Network. He should have stayed at Radio One or Radio London. Oh no! He got SACKED from all of those stations and from 606 on 5Live too. Yes he's on 5Live on Saturday morning now but no one listens that early on a Saturday do they?
  • Options
    Bring back Mark and Lard
  • Options
    Riviera said:

...He did not. He presented it. It was not a new idea.

Bakers version of 606 does not and never did belong to a Sports Network...

He did present it - he also wrote it. It was his baby. Having a phone in was of course not his idea, we've already established that. Widening the scope to stuff that wasn't Division 1 football (as was) was his.

You're right to an extent that it was that clever and witty that the format could have been pitched to a non-sports audience, but of course it was football-centric and so of course belonged on a sports network.