Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the answer?

Comments

• Options
    Charlie Block...I'm sorry but I think you are way way off with your views on our board. Seems like you have no idea the financial implications of being relegated. Our board has balanced our books whilst maintaining a squad that SHOULD compete in this league. Other relegated teams have not had that (Southampton, Coventry) the list goes on. Our board orchestrated the most amazing modern day footy story there is and Curbs conducted it...The only mistakes the board has made has been with hind-sight (Dowie and Read) but hind-sight isn't reality. Give me Murray over Abramovic any day of the week.
  • Options
    Charlie the board are selling players to stop us going into administration end of,no hidden agenda that is the top and bottom of it,take your choice a football club or no football club.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Bcaddick[/cite]Charlie Block...I'm sorry but I think you are way way off with your views on our board. Seems like you have no idea the financial implications of being relegated. Our board has balanced our books whilst maintaining a squad that SHOULD compete in this league.

The only mistakes the board has made has been with hind-sight (Dowie and Read) but hind-sight isn't reality. Give me Murray over Abramovic any day of the week.

It was those two mistakes which caused the club to be relegated in the first place. The board's mistakes and therefore the board are completely at fault. Give me Abramovic over muppet Murray any day of the week. And as for competing in this league - I'd hardly say that just the one win (of which we were very fortunate to get) is much evidence of that.
  • Options
    I can understand Charlies frustration but its interesting to read the sunday papers and see the plight of Portsmouth. Charlton could have I think easily gone down the route of Pompey and could like them be staring down the barrel now. The cuts and sales that have been made of course hurt us supporters and its easy to think "look at Pompey. We were bigger than them not long ago" The team is not doing as well as we would like but hey..thats football. The squad is I think decent for Championship football and I think Pardew will get it right. Our club is secure and we are not out of the race for promotion just yet.
  • Options
    Have I missed something here .... as GH says this is Charlton. 4/5 decent seasons out of 40!!!! That's it ...

Abramosic over "muppet" Murray????? Now that is laughable in itself ....
  • Options
    I think that Pardew should take some responsibility for his buys last season and its obvious that he's not as good as he thinks he is.

Someone said we have a squad that should get us promoted. I disagree. We have a couple of good players, but I can't really see any superstars in there.

But as for the board; they are only doing what is in the best interests of this club, i.e stopping us from going under. If you can't see that you must be a bit dense.
  • Options
    Is it really all doom and gloom? Lets face it for 85 minutes of that game yesterday we were by far the superior side. Ok Gray missed what seemed a sitter, but don't forget we hit the post twice and could have easily been 4 - 0 up. I was very disapointed in the defending for their two goals and although you can blame most of the defence for allowing the two runs on goal, it was actually Hudson that failed both times with the last ditch tackle. Christmas came early for Wednesday yesterday and as we all know this happens in football.

We deserved three points yesterday, but didn't get them - onwards and upwards, let's stuff Palace on Tuesday!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Have I missed something here .... as GH says this is Charlton. 4/5 decent seasons out of 40!!!! That's it ...

Abramosic over "muppet" Murray????? Now that is laughable in itself ....

Murray might be Charlton but t'other bloke's money wouldn't do any harm. Perhaps even better would be both.
  • Options
    If investment was forthcoming you have to ask is it sustainable in the long term good of the club. Lets see how the Portsmouth story unfolds ! They need to find another sugardaddy or face ?
  • Options
    Charlie Block is a walking advert for euthanasia. He is a troll. He has no valid opinions and has been trotting out this same rubbish for at least 5 years (first as Roy Arnold and now under another false name) in a desperate attempt to get some, any, attention.

He is most likely masturbating furiously over his keyboard right now with excitement that some normal people have finally taken notice of him

I am never embarrassed to be a Charlton fan but to think that people in Sheffield may see him as in any way representative of Addicks supporters makes me cringe.

Some people have said that he is entitled to his opinion. I disagree. The day he called Peter Varney, Richard Murray et al C***s he lost any right to debate with normal people in a rational way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    when you start getting angry we are all introuble ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]when you start getting angry we are all introuble ;-)

Only angry at that twat, otherwise it is LLL&BH as normal ; - )
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Charlie Block is a walking advert for euthanasia. He is a troll. He has no valid opinions and has been trotting out this same rubbish for at least 5 years (first as Roy Arnold and now under another false name) in a desperate attempt to get some, any, attention.

The typical nonsense I would expect from Mr Irving. He even gives abuse when I say positive things about the team when we win.
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Some people have said that he is entitled to his opinion. I disagree. The day he called Peter Varney, Richard Murray et al C***s he lost any right to debate with normal people in a rational way.

And since when has Mr Irving decided who has what rights.
  • Options
    Ha ha Roy/Charlie, you are so obvious it's not true. Really laughable.
  • Options
    Charlie i believe you are going tuesday in all seriousness come and have a beer in the market porter and maybe we may all understand each other a bit more.I have meet a few people on here i don't share the same opinions as but meeting them does make it a little easier to see where they are coming from and indeed respect them a little more eh rothko ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Not really, no Pete. I think we've been punching well above our weight for a few seasons and are starting to find what is more the 'natural' level for a club like us. Lets face it, Lennie was an absolute f***ing genius to get us up in the eighties - and keep us up for as long as he did. When we went down, I think we were in real danger of going under again - the decision to take us back to the Valley was the right one, without a shadow of a doubt, but were it not for Wet Spam helping us out (the arrangements there were infinitely favourable compared to those with Uncle Ron at Sellout) we would have had serious difficulties after first getting back.

Curbishley had the benefit of a patient board, willing to back him when it mattered but astute enough to know that building a team takes time. Curbishley's masterstroke was signing first Kinsella and then Mendonca - those two got us up. The year we came down, we had Andy hunt to score goals for us, and the same side that had played together in the Prem the season before. This gave us an extremely sound footing with which to build on - which we did for the next three or four seasons.

Then it all started to go pear-shaped. Some of our newer 'fans' started to demand that we push on to the next level - something that was clearly never going to happen. the Parker sale was where it all started to crumble - not that we could have done anything about it. I honestly believe that, if we'd kept Parker for the rest of that season, we would have sneaked into the top six - possibly even top four. As it was, Chelsea bought him simply to stop us playing him, destroyed any chance we had of competing seriously for the rest of the year and, from that point on, Curbishley's heart just wasn't in it any more. Yes the backed him when he went out and bought some players who were supposedly a cut above what we had at the time (Denise, Murphy, Jeffers) and, for a while, we started to see a decent side - until Murphy got the ballache with Curbishley for dropping him.

The shambles of the last season in the Prem was the last straw for me - top flight football can f*** off as far as I'm concerned. Good luck to Hull, Wigan, Stoke etc etc fighting each other to stay out of the bottom three every season. For me, I've seen more entertainment in the past six weeks than I saw in the last four years at the Valley in the Premiershit and last season in the Championship. Pardew is going in the right direction - and to be honest, I'm pleased he's stayed after being given precisely sod all to spend in the Summer (certainly not what he would have expected at most other clubs). The board have taken a look at the squad Pardew has inherited/assembled, realised that there was a LOT of s***e in there and told him to ship some out, keep us solvent and in mid-table this season. Without that, they know full well we are inches away from doing a Leeds or Bradford. Ask their fans if the stupid money they spent on players was worth it.

Simply put, our natural level is the Championship. We did well to punch above our weight for a while, but time is a leveller. As GH posted earlier, we've spent far, far more time at this level than any other - people thinking we have a god-given right to play in the top flight obviously don't remember season after season watching dross.[/quote]

Thats a good summary..... I think we are back to the charlton of old where if we get on top we are likely to let it slip and and if we go behind we are unlikely to pull it back.... but thats charlton and when it does go our way thats whne we can all get excited....
  • Options
    I've forgotten the question!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]I've forgotten the question!

There was a question?
  • Options
    without a doubt one of the funniest threads i have read

you certainly know how to hook em Charlie Block

henners top marks my man
  • Options
    As this is a "Charlton Community" website presumably the community has the collective right to expel members - or in this case just ban them.

I'm all for freedom of speech and allowing people to air their views, but it seems to me that enough is enough now. This Henry character should be banned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]As this is a "Charlton Community" website presumably the community has the collective right to expel members - or in this case just ban them.

I'm all for freedom of speech and allowing people to air their views, but it seems to me that enough is enough now. This Henry character should be banned.

Watch it Ginge, I've warned you once ; - )
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Back the thread, in my view Pards hit the nail on the head when he talked of "the whole being greater than the sum of the parts". His take is that the team is now starting to perform like that. Well maybe, it certainly is playing with more heart. No player gave less than 100% effort on Saturday but several didn't perform to 100% of their ability. To force our way into contention this season, and I'm convinced we can do it, Pards has to get all the players playing at the top of their game. I thought this would begin to come following the last two away games where, without playing brilliantly there was a real team effort and if we'd managed to convert our territiorial advantage on Saturday into more goals, things would really start moving in the right direction.

So a reality check then. We are not the best team in this Division on current form. We have a decent enough squad to be up near the top. We have to get behind the team (which I think we did on Saturday, especially in the second half) and help Pards and the players strive to build the confidence that will see our team playing as Pards suggests, greater than the sum of its parts.

Oh and Charlie, like Henry you lost my respect when you called Murray and Varney c*nts. You have been banging on about the failings of the Board since I can remember, the problem is you don't give any credit for what, to those of us who've been watching for 40 years or so, recognise as the best set of directors we ever had.
  • Options
    Personally I thought we played well saturday, enjoyed the game, thought Pardews subsitutions were a tad bizarre but overall encouraged, more of the same please & the results will turn.
  • Options
    just watched the championship - think it;s a bit harsh digging gray out for the miss. did come to him very quickly
  • Options
    I just spent 10 mins reading this.

not pleasant.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Oh and Charlie, like Henry you lost my respect when you called Murray and Varney c*nts

When it was published on the club website at the backend of last season "The manager, players, staff and directors are all determined to bring Premier League football back to The Valley" clearly suggests that the club has promotion ambitions. What do the board do? Sell the players most likely to ensure the club achieves this and we are now left with a squad which, given results of the past five games, looks like a club heading for League 1. It appears to me that the board are either telling lies to its supporters or are simply are not up to it.
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]No player gave less than 100% effort on Saturday but several didn't perform to 100% of their ability. To force our way into contention this season, and I'm convinced we can do it

If this is the case - I wasn't at the game due to other commitments, then it appears that a some of the players are showing some determination to get into the Premiership but sadly very few are doing that.
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]the problem is you don't give any credit for what, to those of us who've been watching for 40 years or so, recognise as the best set of directors we ever had.

Two and a half years ago I would have agreed with you - but given what the set of directors have done to the club since then (like taking a so-called established Premiership club occupying a Champions League place to what it is now) then has caused them to lose my respect a bit. Being less than politically correct about the board is probably a bit harsh but I am not too happy about seeing my club going downhill fast, particularly when during the past few years I have been a season ticket holder form which I pay good money for and spend some six hours each way travelling from where I live to a home game.

However, it will take a lot more for me to recognise them as being the worst set of directors in my time as a supporter - like those that took us away from The Valley.
  • Options
    *shakes head in disbelief*
  • Options
    Charlie you were not even at the game on Saturday, is that correct ?

If so, not really sure why you have decided to vent your spleen after this particular game. Effort from team was good & the actual football was pleasing to watch, just the result missing, it was hardly like Wycombe at home a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Charlie, I fail to understand you. The club had to sell players to keep afloat. That's the end of the story.

The way you put your argument seems to suggest you'd rather the board just dived into the overdraft, got a few bank loans, kept the squad (even though not many would've wanted to stay) and tried to get up at the first attempt. What would have happened if we had failed? We'd have to sell practically our entire squad the next season and would most certainly be on our way to league one. Why put all our eggs in one basket?

Your statement that our current squad is on our way to league one shows how little you understand the game let-alone the politics behind it.