Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the answer?

124»

Comments

• Options
    You are wasting your breath. You are trying to reason with someone who is not here for a reasoned debate, but to provoke a reaction.

Ignore
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Oh and Charlie, like Henry you lost my respect when you called Murray and Varney c*nts

When it was published on the club website at the backend of last season "The manager, players, staff and directors are all determined to bring Premier League football back to The Valley" clearly suggests that the club has promotion ambitions. What do the board do? Sell the players most likely to ensure the club achieves this and we are now left with a squad which, given results of the past five games, looks like a club heading for League 1. It appears to me that the board are either telling lies to its supporters or are simply are not up to it.
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]No player gave less than 100% effort on Saturday but several didn't perform to 100% of their ability. To force our way into contention this season, and I'm convinced we can do it

If this is the case - I wasn't at the game due to other commitments, then it appears that a some of the players are showing some determination to get into the Premiership but sadly very few are doing that.
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]the problem is you don't give any credit for what, to those of us who've been watching for 40 years or so, recognise as the best set of directors we ever had.

Two and a half years ago I would have agreed with you - but given what the set of directors have done to the club since then (like taking a so-called established Premiership club occupying a Champions League place to what it is now) then has caused them to lose my respect a bit. Being less than politically correct about the board is probably a bit harsh but I am not too happy about seeing my club going downhill fast, particularly when during the past few years I have been a season ticket holder form which I pay good money for and spend some six hours each way travelling from where I live to a home game.

However, it will take a lot more for me to recognise them as being the worst set of directors in my time as a supporter - like those that took us away from The Valley.

Its not the football clubs fault or the directors who own it and run it where you choose to live and travel from to the games.

I think if you do look back over the quotes made by the players, the ambitions are to ensure that the club has a stable future first and foremost which enables us to consolidate ourselves in the top flight. if we don't balance the books this season and don't go up - without the parachute payments ending we could be in trouble.
    we took a few risks a couple of seasons ago that didn't pan out.

people make mistakes, chairmen, owners, fans etc - no one is an expert on how things should be run, but to suggest they did it on purpose or that they are idiots for getting it perhaps a bit wrong is wrong on your part.

The club went for it - it didn't work - they spent money - they got their fingers burnt - they are now selling players that earn to much to recover from that mistake and they're being accused of having no ambition but when they spent the money on trying to stay up - they got accused of being careless.

they will never win. all player purchases are a gamble, that goes for non league teams to those in the champions league. I think you need to lower your expectations. we have to take the same risks as everyone else.
  • Options
    Don't waste your time with Charlie, Suze, really not worth it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Don't waste your time with Charlie, Suze, really not worth it

Exactly. I prefer mine and Leroy's approach - every time it sticks it's head up shout it down.

Charlie, you're a **** - just **** off!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Its not the football clubs fault or the directors who own it and run it where you choose to live and travel from to the games.

Not blaming the club. Meant to express the time and effort in getting to home games.
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    I think if you do look back over the quotes made by the players, the ambitions are to ensure that the club has a stable future first and foremost which enables us to consolidate ourselves in the top flight. if we don't balance the books this season and don't go up - without the parachute payments ending we could be in trouble.
    we took a few risks a couple of seasons ago that didn't pan out.

people make mistakes, chairmen, owners, fans etc - no one is an expert on how things should be run, but to suggest they did it on purpose or that they are idiots for getting it perhaps a bit wrong is wrong on your part.

Okay fair enough Suze I was wrong to to do this.
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I think you need to lower your expectations. we have to take the same risks as everyone else.

Perhaps I should.
  • Options
    Charlie, if only you knew as much about running a football team, as you know about being a director of the club.......
  • Options
    Dont want to dive too far into this one but may just look at the question of the actual thread...

I think the sole reason we went down is because Dowie had a complete nightmare with the transfers and Reed carried that crap on till crimbo, PArds came in and levelled it out some what but was too late, whether he might have kept us up if we had him from the start of the season who knows, but that wasnt an option at the time.

Pards has admitted transfer mistakes last season which i admire his honesty for, however i think he is still a bit bitter about the sale of Reidy which i think was pushed upon him slightly by the board. (Dont take that the wrong way i think the board does a superb job and again would have them over Abrobavich)

I think the happy days of the 7ths and 9ths finishes in the prem were great but i think we can all agree that they were somewhat unexpected? We were an established premiership club, 7 years solid proves that, but i think a year on year dogfight was a more realistic expectation.

Im going to stick by Pards because i believe he is developing the element of teamwork back into the squad which was what kept us in the premiership for that long. since then i think we have had one too many individuals who in themselves think they are premiership players. What i think we have now is a TEAM i.e Varney working his tits off for possesion and gets in decent positions even if not the most potent striker at the minute. Hudson and fortune - for the most part looking quite compatible, which is what was sadly missing with Diawara, Mccarthy e.t.c. Bailley has come in and is looking a great buy and also puts his whole heart into it, i personally think him and ZZ in the middle will be a great partnership, whilst Holland is not doing a great deal wrong.

IMO, in one word what we need is CONSISTENCY.
  • Options
    just read through all this, and I am none the wiser.
    can someone tell me the question that we are looking for the answer to?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]just read through all this, and I am none the wiser.

What planet is the toolbox known as Charlie Block on???
  • Options
    does charlie take it up the arris ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]As this is a "Charlton Community" website presumably the community has the collective right to expel members - or in this case just ban them.

I'm all for freedom of speech and allowing people to air their views, but it seems to me that enough is enough now. This Henry character should be banned.

Watch it Ginge, I've warned you once ; - )

Don't let Ollie hear you using such gingerist language
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]You are wasting your breath. You are trying to reason with someone who is not here for a reasoned debate, but to provoke a reaction.

Do people really do that? ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]just read through all this, and I am none the wiser.

this may pass those without kids by but everytime I see any post by the infamous Mr Block I am reminded of the grumpy old troll from dora the explorer.
  • Options
    This guy?:

Grumpy_Old_Troll.jpg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

this may pass those without kids by but everytime I see any post by the infamous Mr Block I am reminded of the grumpy old troll from dora the explorer.

LOL!
  • Options
    BTW the answer is 42
  • Options
    Glad to see the topic I started creating so much discussion. I certainly did not intend it for having a go at our board (I know there is only one person doing this). I find it astounding that a Charlton fan cannot see the worth of our board and the decisions it has had to make over the last couple of years...Appointing Dowie was a massive mistake BUT THAT IS WITH HINDSIGHT. His managerial record at Palace and Oldham was brilliant so why not appoint him? Maybe CB is really his psychiatrist who is bound to confidentiality because yes it appears that Dowie did display some bizarre psychotic behaviour during his time...Maybe CB was treating him at that time and knew?
    As for selling the players this year and last year...IT HAS TO BE DONE, SIMPLE...where is the discussion in this? We are in a good financial situation at present (compared to most in this league). I dont think CB really understands the financial consequences of relegation from the top flight.
    The Board is not to be questioned here. The question is Pardew. I hope to high heaven he can get this team winning and competing at the top, I just share a lot of concern as to how long he should have to do this cos at the moment it ain't good enough...please Pardew prove me wrong and start tomorrow.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bcaddick[/cite]I hope to high heaven he can get this team winning and competing at the top, I just share a lot of concern as to how long he should have to do this cos at the moment it ain't good enough...please Pardew prove me wrong and start tomorrow.

It certainly isn't good enough - and Pardew start with a win against Palarse.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]BTW the answer is 42
    I'm still a bit confused what the question was but thanks for the answer
  • Options
    mark.yadegar@romseyassoc.com is the man who employs Charlie.

Would it be

A) nasty and vindictive to contact them and tell them what high regard Mr Block is held by Charlton fans

B) Fully justified given his continued abuse of this message board and the Charlton board

C) just deserts for a nasty troll

D) lower us to his level but a good laugh all the same
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Back on Radio 4 soon. New series
  • Options
    Well if 42 is the answer, the question is "What is six times nine?" surely?
  • Options
    BTW ...... we may start today in 14th place - but we are only 2 points from 6th position, play off place.
    Onwards & upwards!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]BTW ...... we may start today in 14th place - but we are only 2 points from 6th position, play off place.
    Onwards & upwards!

and before the glass half empty brigade wade in we are only 4 points off the bottom three.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block

Two and a half years ago I would have agreed with you - but given what the set of directors have done to the club since then (like taking a so-called established Premiership club occupying a Champions League place to what it is now) then has caused them to lose my respect a bit.

I always thought that you were Sheffield Addick, who posted on the BBC site. Were you not?

That being the case it was more than 2½ years ago that you started your whingefest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Back on Radio 4 soon. New series

How come? Douglas Adams has been dead for years. Remake?
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm just posting on here to bring my topic at the front of the forum queue again to see what people now think? I have nothing else of worth to write on here at the mo cos I am too gutted.