Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What do we make of this then, fellow Lifers!

MCSMCS
edited October 2008 in Other Football and Sports
Someone makes a complaint about the abuse Sol Campbell got last week off of the yiddo's, now the Hampshire po-leese and FA are going to invetsigate, and any spurs fan found guilty will be banned for life! How can they enforce this, and does it set a precident to the rest of football!!

In the words of the mighty but nearly forgotten Nolly, Discuss!

Linky, inn it!

Comments

• Options
    to be fair, if they've got decent CCTV it won't be that difficult to identify & arrest anyone.

the interesting bit will be when they get to court...........you'll only have to get a decent solicitor to say they were chanting something similar & completely innocent (a la Brighton & Seagulls sounding like that infamous Nazi chant) & I'll be very surprised if any judge will convict them.

BUT

there are a few judges out there who might not like that kind of chanting, if you get my drift, so who knows!
  • Options
    also to be fair KBs, by the sounds of it, the whole away end was chanting that particular song!! They cant ban 3500 yidds can they???
  • Options
    no, but they can go for the one's that may have started the chant & force those on the edge to cough up on the ones who started it with a threat of a ban

it's amazing how many cough when pushed :-(
  • Options
    I have already had a slightly heated discussion about this on another board. My feelings are it was well out of order and even if nothing massively comes of it, the authorities shouldn't just shrug their shoulders and let it slip idly by.

However, I do hope this doesn't become the thin end of the wedge and suddenly swearing and more traditional forms of abuse like 'Simon Jordan is a W@***r' become out lawed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]I have already had a slightly heated discussion about this on another board. My feelings are it was well out of order and even if nothing massively comes of it, the authorities shouldn't just shrug their shoulders and let it slip idly by.

However, I do hope this doesn't become the thin end of the wedge and suddenly swearing and more traditional forms of abuse like 'Simon Jordan is a W@***r' become out lawed.

How is 'Simon Jordan is a wa**er' any different.

Sorry if this sounds naive but:

1. I don't know what the Spurs fans were chanting
    2. Where do you draw the line?
  • Options
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo FFS once this was football . Go f**king nick muggers and stabbers FFS.

over 3,000 English football herberts banned from traveling when England play abroad , have a guess how many of the 30,000 HIGH risk peodos have been banned from traveling ? 1,000 ? 5,000 ? 8,000 ? --------------------------------------------- well it 5 yes thats FIVE. The Home Sec (useless bi**h says she was glad Glitter got banned from travel as it shows how serious this gov is about stopping this scum travelling !!!!!!!!!!!

Football east target , easy target .

maybe those 3,000 Yidos would be better off on the street causing mayhem rather than o dear o dear o dear swearing at a footballer . F**king joke .
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]How is 'Simon Jordan is a wa**er' any different.

Sorry if this sounds naive but:

1. I don't know what the Spurs fans were chanting
    2. Where do you draw the line?

See here

Simon Jordan called us morons, we called him a wa**er - tit for tat and not something which is really that offensive - it won't upset many people and it's clearly targetting one person.

Call me old fashioned but no matter what Sol did to Spurs wishing HIV, metal breakdown and suicide or a lynching (depending on how you interpret it) upon him is over the top. On top of that its also homophobic and possibly racist, generally very distasteful and potentially extremely offensive to a large number of people.

These things are always difficult, as it's not a black and white issue but even as a thick skinned person with a sometimes twisted sense of humour and who enjoys the hostile atmosphere to be occasionally found at an English football ground what was sung just feels like it's crossed the line. I'm afraid I can't give you a more concrete explanation than that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo FFS once this was football . Go f**king nick muggers and stabbers FFS.

over 3,000 English football herberts banned from traveling when England play abroad , have a guess how many of the 30,000 HIGH risk peodos have been banned from traveling ? 1,000 ? 5,000 ? 8,000 ?
    well it 5 yes thats FIVE. The Home Sec (useless bi**h says she was glad Glitter got banned from travel as it shows how serious this gov is about stopping this scum travelling !!!!!!!!!!!

Football east target , easy target .

maybe those 3,000 Yidos would be better off on the street causing mayhem rather than o dear o dear o dear swearing at a footballer . F**king joke .

The point here Gooner is that they should be dealing with both issues, not ignoring one cos they are ignoring the other.
  • Options
    dunno what was chanted but if this goes through it's going to be the end of football singing in grounds virtually.
  • Options
    If 3,000 people were singing it, I don't see what can be done. You can't arrest everyone.

It's society's problem, simple as that.

I've heard 'us' sing 'Palace fan hanging on a string................' Unless the majority shout it down you can expect future chants to get worse - well here it is.
    We've only ourselves to blame.

Just as if you voted Labour after the war started you shouldn't be too surprised when you get a terrorist attack
    (a more extreme case of course but just as relevant).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So it's society's problem, but when society in the form of the games governing body and the police get involved they are wasting their time because there were too many involved in the chanting. Defeatest talk if you ask me and exactly the kind of shoulder shrugging attitude that has got us where we are.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]So it's society's problem, but when society in the form of the games governing body and the police get involved they are wasting their time because there were too many involved in the chanting. Defeatest talk if you ask me and exactly the kind of shoulder shrugging attitude that has got us where we are.

Defeatist talk? But how can you arrest everybody?

Gradually over time this problems's been getting worse and very few people are willing to say it's wrong. On another thread on here recently we were discussing chants: someone said that some fans starting singing a particular chant in The 'alf hour wait' stand at Palace and they got told to shut up (by Airman Brown if I remember correctly) More of that and we'd be OK. That's not me 'shoulder shrugging' - it's just saying that we've left it very very late. Too late for those already doing it perhaps. Not too late for society as a whole but by that I mean that we have to reform the education system, have less broken families, and better parenting education.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Defeatist talk? But how can you arrest everybody?

Gradually over time this problems's been getting worse and very few people are willing to say it's wrong. On another thread on here recently we were discussing chants: someone said that some fans starting singing a particular chant in The 'alf hour wait' stand at Palace and they got told to shut up (by Airman Brown if I remember correctly) More of that and we'd be OK. That's not me 'shoulder shrugging' - it's just saying that we've left it very very late. Too late for those already doing it perhaps. Not too late for society as a whole but by that I mean that we have to reform the education system, have less broken families, and better parenting education.

You can't, but you can arrest everyone who can be identified from the CCTV footage. It sends a clear message.

There should be more shouting down of chants by fans as well, I agree. That's not an easy thing to do though, especially as an individual against a group because you never know who will back you up.

Like I said earlier, I think the authorities are right to TRY and do something even if its ends up being only 5% effective, if you do nothing it comes across as condoning it and it'll certainly do nothing to discourage it.
  • Options
    Sticks and stones may break my bones...
    You give me 50K plus per week, and i will let you call me whatever you want for a couple of hours.
    What better encouragement to play a cracking game, then be abused by a bunch of divs.
    I am in agreement with GH. Hampshire's police force time could be better spent elsewhere.
    This will be another expensive exercise that will will have no real effect. So you ban a few people, do you think that will prevent a group of people shouting/chanting extremeties at a football match?
    Sol should have known what to expect leaving Spurs for Arsenal.
  • Options
    If I was making as much in a week as Soloman then I would also grow a very thick skin very quickly, as much as I despise yids he must have expected to get real grief wherever he went after he left them for the arse?

I see his point, yes he has played for England for all those years and given up so much for the ungrateful fan but if he was to retire tomorrow it would stop.
  • Options
    If action is taken, its hard to see where it will all end. The spuds fans involved are obviously knuckle draggers, but it could just be another attack on free speech meaning that no one has the right to say anything that may offend someone else.
  • Options
    Don't agree with this "it's football so we can sing what we like" attitude. Why does walking into a football stadium mean that people can be as abusive as they like and not suffer any consequences?

Most rational people would, I believe, agree that there are certain chants that not acceptable. Racist chanting was once common place but would now be frowned on by most.

Not being allowing to sing "who's that up a tree?" or "there ain't no black in the union jack" (two songs thankfully now removed from our repertoire) is NOT an attack on anyone's "freedom of speech". If those songs are examples of "traditional football culture" then I'm glad to see it go.

As I understand it there was some very nasty homophobic chants directed at Campbell and if so Pompey, The FA and the Hampshire police are right to act. Racist chanting was once something people "had to laugh off/grow a thicker skin/ get paid enough so should put up with it". Now homophobic chanting is being challenged and not a minute too soon.

They may not be able to arrest 3,000 people but some action now may stop a few 1000 joining in "for a laugh" and isolate the instigators.

As Exiled says to not act could be seen as condoning the abuse.
  • Options
    Let's get a few things straight here...
    I dont condone it whatsoever but the abuse that judas got was homphobic and certainly not racist. I've spoken to four separate people who was at the game last week and they have all confirmed this. It was quite clear to all those watching the game on TV what was being sung.

At the end of the day, the moment he sold his soul (pardon the pun) and joined the Woolwich Pikeys, he signed his own death warrant and resigned himself to a life of abuse. What he did was absolutely disgusting. He lied to the fans and the club saying "Why would I want to leave? I'm a Tottenham man through and through".

He will never be forgiven. I'm sure he'll still be told he's a judas when he's shopping in Sainsbury's when his in his 60s and 70s.

For Redknapp, Judas and the Hampshire Police to accuse the Spurs fans of racism is just disgusting. Perhaps they should come to WHL and listen to the hissing noises from the away end which we still have to put up with over and over again, year after year and yet nothing gets done about it.

It's going to get to the point where all chanting will be banned, all because of Judas throwing a hissy fit.

I want to make it absolutely clear that any homophobic and racist abuse is bang out of order to any player but what does he expect? He certainly hasnt helped himself, has he?
  • Options
    I'm kind of on the fence here. Racism was all part and parcel of the game and most people - pundits, managers, players - thought it was OK not so long ago, now it's outrage shock and horror. I think some of the homophobic stuff directed at the likes of Campbell and Le Saux was spectacularly pathetic (though sometimes quite funny) but I don't believe you can retrospectively pull people up about it. I think it'd be more appropriate to have all clubs make a statement to say that it's not acceptable to do going forward. I'm nervous that it'll take the humour and edge out of football if it's clamped down on too much, but I guess that something has to happen.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Let's get a few things straight here...
    I dont condone it whatsoever but the abuse that judas got was homphobic and certainly not racist. I've spoken to four separate people who was at the game last week and they have all confirmed this. It was quite clear to all those watching the game on TV what was being sung.

At the end of the day, the moment he sold his soul (pardon the pun) and joined the Woolwich Pikeys, he signed his own death warrant and resigned himself to a life of abuse. What he did was absolutely disgusting. He lied to the fans and the club saying "Why would I want to leave? I'm a Tottenham man through and through".

He will never be forgiven. I'm sure he'll still be told he's a judas when he's shopping in Sainsbury's when his in his 60s and 70s.

For Redknapp, Judas and the Hampshire Police to accuse the Spurs fans of racism is just disgusting. Perhaps they should come to WHL and listen to the hissing noises from the away end which we still have to put up with over and over again, year after year and yet nothing gets done about it.

It's going to get to the point where all chanting will be banned, all because of Judas throwing a hissy fit.

I want to make it absolutely clear that any homophobic and racist abuse is bang out of order to any player but what does he expect? He certainly hasnt helped himself, has he?

John, why are you so keen to point out that the abuse was homophobic not racist. Is one OK the other not? You say that both are bang out of order but then add "what does he expect" and "he hasn't helped himself". So are you saying he deserves the abuse then?

We all know he left Spurs. So what. Give him stick if you want to but that that does not give you carte blanche to abuse him in anyway you see fit and rationalise it because he left you.

You said "signed his own death warrant". FFS listen to yourself. He left you for a more successful club so he deserves to be killed. If you can't see just how twisted and sick that is then you need to get some treatment and fast.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Henry, my use of the "death warrant" has come across wrong - thats absolutely not what I was inferring but I couldnt come up with a phrase to explain what I meant. Let's just say he signed up to a life of abuse from the moment he signed for Arsenal. I certainly wouldn't wish death on anyone, even him. I personally couldnt care less about him as Ledley King more than adequately replaced him and I'm sure you'll realise we sing about that at every game.

But the point I'm trying to make is that I find it disgusting that Spurs are being singled out like this when over the years, there has been songs aimed at Beckham's wife, Graeme Le Saux, Justin Fashanu, Hillsborough, the Munich air crash, Lampard's mum, millions of other things and the anti-semitism directed at Spurs...

It smacks of hyprocracy given the anti-semetic abuse we have suffered for years yet we are now going to be treated as the scapegoats.

We have a proud history of our relationship with black and ethnic players and supporters, probably more so than every other club in the country. Spurs have a huge multi-ethnic support and to accuse us of racism, like Campbell, Redknapp, the FA and the police is just taking the absolute p1ss.

There is absolutely no place in football for either homophobic or racial abuse whatsoever, whether it be at Campbell or any other player or supporter.

Yes, he does deserve to get some stick but not personal abuse - but where do you draw the line?
    If Charlton were to produce a £15-20m player and then he went and joined either Palace or Millwall for absolutely nothing (ok, this is purely theoretical because we all know that would never happen) when you really needed the money to rebuild the team, how do you think the Charlton fans would react? Give him a good clap the next time you come across and wish him well for the future? No, course they wouldnt.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Homophobic my arse!

Campbell isn't a poof so how can he complain of homophobia - whatever that is!
  • Options
    So if its wrong at footie why aint 90% of rap (crap) songs banned ? lots of swearing and "homophobic" stuff in them ?

" Smith ur a poof u jumped out of that tackle, u screaming poof"

"Mr Steward Sir that man their just made ahomophic comment please throw him out so i can watch footie in SILENCE".

Funny isnt it how totaly over regulated every aspect of UK life is except where ur life savings are concerned !

We have had threads in last few days about "what people SHOULD NOT sing" so maybe why dont the great and the good on here get a song sheet together of what people are ALLOWED to sing-------------------------------- how very very very sad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    If Charlton were to produce a £15-20m player and then he went and joined either Palace or Millwall for absolutely nothing (ok, this is purely theoretical because we all know that would never happen) when you really needed the money to rebuild the team, how do you think the Charlton fans would react? Give him a good clap the next time you come across and wish him well for the future? No, course they wouldnt.

This has happened - not to Palace or Millwall but to West Ham - his name's Defoe. I think you might know him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Homophobic my arse!

Campbell isn't a poof so how can he complain of homophobia - whatever that is!

Good point. Has he actually 'come out'? If not how can it be 'homophobic'.

I put homophobic in inverted commas because I don't actually believe that it exists. 'Phobic' means that you have a phobia i.e. a fear. Does anybody really have a fear of gays?
  • Options
    Henry has got this nailed. Football does have its own humour and fans can feel betrayed when a player leaves for another club particularly a rival although I have never really understood this myself. It ceases to be humourous when either racist or homophobic or other unacceptable chants are made. The authorities are right to nip this one in the bud if you ask me.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Jimmy, it does literally mean an uncontrollable fear of homosexuals and of homosexuality, but the term is generally used for a negative and contemptuous attitude to gay men and lesbians.

Personally I think that some people who are negative about Gay men in particular are afraid as their presence, especially when they are in roles traditionally seen as belonging to "real" or "straight" men such as sportsmen, undermines those people's systems of belief and raises questions for them about their own masculinity.

That is why they feel the need to belittle, dismiss and put down Gay men by re-affirming the prejudice that Gay men are effete, soft or camp. This restores, in their own eyes, their own higher status as heterosexual and therefore "real" men.

http://www.thefa.com/NR/rdonlyres/49861500-3F3E-4227-889B-DDC80F23984B/81535/Tackling_homophobia.pdf
  • Options
    Well the term shouldn't be used then. It's daft to call it a phobia. It should be called gayism or something more suitable.
    Anyhow I think that some people don't like gay men because they simply don't think it's natural for a man to be shoving his penis up another man's arse. More important is the argument that gay sex spreads HIV quicker than straight sex. I'm not really anti-gay but I do sympathise with those arguments.
    By the way, I'm currently a house-husband and baby-carer!
    The point of this in the first place anyway was related to Sol Campbell who isn't gay anyway (is he?). How can a straight man really be affected by gay chants - surely you'd just laugh them off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Jimmy, it does literally mean an uncontrollable fear of homosexuals and of homosexuality, but the term is generally used for a negative and contemptuous attitude to gay men and lesbians.

Personally I think that some people who are negative about Gay men in particular are afraid as their presence, especially when they are in roles traditionally seen as belonging to "real" or "straight" men such as sportsmen, undermines those people's systems of belief and raises questions for them about their own masculinity.

That is why they feel the need to belittle, dismiss and put down Gay men by re-affirming the prejudice that Gay men are effete, soft or camp. This restores, in their own eyes, their own higher status as heterosexual and therefore "real" men.

http://www.thefa.com/NR/rdonlyres/49861500-3F3E-4227-889B-DDC80F23984B/81535/Tackling_homophobia.pdf

You talk more pathetic PC bollocks than anyone else I have ever come across.
    Let the poofs fight their own battles, and stop telling everybody why some people have some different views than others and trying to back it up with crap, crap, crap from people who should get a propper job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite] I'll be very surprised if any judge will convict them.
    But, judges don't convict juries do.

[cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]If 3,000 people were singing it, I don't see what can be done. You can't arrest everyone.
    The more people doing it, the easier it is to get a conviction. Of course they won't get everyone, but it's well within their grasp to pick up a few ringleaders.