Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ross and Brand Suspended

Comments

• Options
    My view is that they should be banned, not because of who they are not because they were on the radio - Live or other wise. I have an 18 year old daughter possibly the apple of her grandmothers eye - rightly or wrongly, how would i feel if some bloke who had slept with her (the dughter not the grandmother) phoned up the grandmother - ripping their heads off come to mind never mind baning them.
  • Options
    Does your grandfather have granddaughters?, your sister, your cousin?

If so, imagine the scenario, some complete knobhead rings him up and brags and sings little dittys about shagging his granddaughter, with another idiot in the background egging him on, would you be best pleased?
  • Options
    I dont want to get into a debate about it but personally I think the whole thing is ridiculous. It was a joke. Not a funny one but just a joke. The guy was famous for making a joke of spanish waiters. Its all comedy and its down to taste. 2 whole people complained at the time. Thats .001% of people who were listening. Its not new and its not original and its certainly not worse than some of the jokes you would hear from populist comedians like jimmy carr or Ricky Gervais. Just my opinion but the moment the prime minister is sticking his oar in instead of sorting out our economy you know the situation has become a huge joke within itself.
  • Options
    It's quite simple really - They overstepped the boundary. Anyone else would have been sacked, but because it's two "big named celebrities" on massive contracts the BBC fudged the issue.

Not that I ever would have done, but if I had done something similar when I was on Millennium I know that I would have been sacked. Simple end of.

What people are forgetting is that there is a production team who let them do this. Expect them to go before Brand and Woss.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]It's quite simple really - They overstepped the boundary. Anyone else would have been sacked, but because it's two "big named celebrities" on massive contracts the BBC fudged the issue.

Not that I ever would have done, but if I had done something similar when I was on Millennium I know that I would have been sacked. Simple end of.

What people are forgetting is that there is a production team who let them do this. Expect them to go before Brand and Woss.

Would anyone of heard it on Millennium? ;o)

So if 2 people complain out of 5m, how many would you get on 50,000 listeners?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Does your grandfather have granddaughters?, your sister, your cousin?

If so, imagine the scenario, some complete knobhead rings him up and brags and sings little dittys about shagging his granddaughter, with another idiot in the background egging him on, would you be best pleased?

DA9...the folk with whom you are arguing on here are part of a new generation and with values so alien to me that I feel like a stranger in my own country at times.
    If The Beeb allows such stuff to go on without redress then it's another sad day in our steadily dropping standards.
    Make an example of them and just 'maybe' we'll get a few worthwhile standards back, at least for a while.Turn a blind eye and you'll just make things worse and send out all the wrong signals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    DA9...the folk with whom you are arguing on here are part of a new generation and with values so alien to me that I feel like a stranger in my own country at times.
    If The Beeb allows such stuff to go on without redress then it's another sad day in our steadily dropping standards.
    Make an example of them and just 'maybe' we'll get a few worthwhile standards back, at least for a while.Turn a blind eye and you'll just make things worse and send out all the wrong signals.

I am sorry that is on my view complete rubbish. I have values, but I was also brough up to believe that if someone did wrong then a sincere apology will deal with it most of the time. This is one of those times. Those involved should apologise, learn from it and move on. Anything more than that is just pandering to moral indignation.

This is nothing to do with values it is to do with a large number of people jumping on a bandwagon simply because it is parked outside and some journalist with a bullhorn is exhorting them to join him on it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Does your grandfather have granddaughters?, your sister, your cousin?

Its all about dumbing down on TV/Radio and in society, I think if you dont challenge these things it does filter down and lets people think its acceptable behaviour.
  • Options
    His my view on Brand...

He's only a comedian due to his strange persona, which he has because he used to be a smackhead.
  • Options
    I saw the thread title and thought 'at least it doesn't coincide with hudson and semedo's red cards'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    what were the offensive things said?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]

I am sorry that is on my view complete rubbish. I have values, but I was also brough up to believe that if someone did wrong then a sincere apology will deal with it most of the time. This is one of those times. Those involved should apologise, learn from it and move on. Anything more than that is just pandering to moral indignation.

This is nothing to do with values it is to do with a large number of people jumping on a bandwagon simply because it is parked outside and some journalist with a bullhorn is exhorting them to join him on it.

You have values...Mmmmmmm....you may well have but they're nothing like mine mate!!!
    I also object you trying to infer that I'm pissed off at these two imbeciles simply because someone in the media is leading me by the nose...FFS...come on matey!
  • Options
    If the Beeb had handled it faster an apologies all round early The mail wouldnt have even herd about it. The Beeb,Ross and Brand just love each other all treat the rest of the World with total contempt.

If anyone of you defending can say you would think that is was all jolly good fun if one of your relatives had received a call like that then shame on you.

I think Brand is a scum bucket and saddens me females que up for him to abuse.I would love to see someone stick one on him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]If the Beeb had handled it faster an apologies all round early The mail wouldnt have even herd about it. The Beeb,Ross and Brand just love each other all treat the rest of the World with total contempt.

If anyone of you defending can say you would think that is was all jolly good fun if one of your relatives had received a call like that then shame on you.

I think Brand is a scum bucket and saddens me females que up for him to abuse.I would love to see someone stick one on him.

Won't be long!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]

You have values...Mmmmmmm....you may well have but they're nothing like mine mate!!!
    I also object you trying to infer that I'm pissed off at these two imbeciles simply because someone in the media is leading me by the nose...FFS...come on matey!

I think this is one we will have to agree to disagree on. I am willing to bet we probably have pretty similar values if we had the time or the inclination to compare, it's is just that in this particular case we see the extent to which these two should pilloried for what they said differently.
  • Options
    so what should they have said then ? ringing up a grand dad and slagging his grand daughter off ?? f**kin nice that isnt it or do u think thats funny ?

so when some perv phones up your mum or wife and leaves abusive shit what u going to do ?laugh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]so what should they have said then ? ringing up a grand dad and slagging his grand daughter off ?? f**kin nice that isnt it or do u think thats funny ?

so when some perv phones up your mum or wife and leaves abusive shit what u going to do ?laugh.

I haven't said it was funny or nice. As I don't think it was either of those things. I just think that if it was me on the receiving end that I would be happy enough receiving a sincere apology and would then want to move on with my life.
  • Options
    If someone rang my granddad and told him that they'd been shagging me, I probably would laugh, tbf.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My view on this is that the Mail, the Sun and the (completely wholesome, verging on the nun like...) granddaughter have done very well out of the affair. I admit if I never saw Brands stupid, very punchable, face on my tv again in my life it would be too soon and if it means the end of him, great (it wont of course). But the whole thing is ridiculously out of all proportion now with talk of getting the police involved for gawds sake.

It was a poorly conceived, badly executed, totally unfunny, ‘prank’ that got out of hand but it has subsequently been exploited by others for their own advantage. I’m sure that lessons have been learnt by all involved including the production team. Apologies have been made. Move on and hopefully they’ll think twice before making such a poor judgement call next time.

Now, don’t get me started on that Balls Of Steel programme though…
  • Options
    yep i think you would
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good thread this, fiesty debate
  • Options
    Can't be bothered to read through all the guff on here, especially the "I hate Brand and/or Ross so making everest out of a worm cast will cure all the ills of the world" brigade. So if someone already said this, I apologise.

Get a grip fogies, they are light entertainers, they stretch the boundaries, you prefer Terry and June, others prefer something a bit more cutting edge. I don't think any of you actually heard it originally did you? But like a 21st Century Mary Whitehouse, you are prepared to be offended anyway.

They have offended Andrew Sachs, their comments were ill judged, they have apologised. The Granddaughter is loving the publicity, the "victim" want's it all forgotten.

The mail puts up its usual smokescreen to avoid talking about how its rich buddies and benfactors have screwed up everybodies lives with their city antics, and instead of blaming foreigners, the world is now crumbling because JR and RB upset Manuel...

Why not get on your high horse about wars no-one wants to fight, or politicians who mislead the electorate, or newspapers stirring up hatred and stop falling for this press controlled hysteria about nothing!
  • Options
    I've actually met Andrew Sachs. He's actually deaf in one ear.

Was hoping he didn't *really* hear the message and was angling for a bit of compensation!

Now that would be light entertainment.
  • Options
    Brand has resigned!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Brand has resigned!

fan-bloody-tastic

resigned! what a child that odious little twonk is! why didn't he just stay out of the limelight for five minutes.
  • Options
    I just think Brand needs a dig because i think he is a tosser, there are folks who think i need a dig because i am a tosser i can live with that i am sure he can.

The rest of it is nonsense yes they over stepped the mark, what they said doesnt offend me however the fact they said it to an old man instead of say ray winstone or Russle Crow is what pisses me off, he is an oldman a grand father someone who deserves a bit more respect.

i dont think they should be sacked i think it has gone on too long and there are far more important rucks going on

like Pards vs Mckensie both of em tossers but i would pay to watch it
  • Options
    hope he takes his sister Jo and they f**k off somewhere far far far away
  • Options
    I think you"re right NLA, though not sure that it was really the target that was driving this. Picking on an old medua attention whore was pretty much the worst thing they could have done. Anyhoo the whole story should be filed under 'B listers attempts to take the stupid folks' minds off weightier issues'
  • Options
    Thanks Sash!

Here's a better example - John Holmes, very talented TV writer, got a seven year old to say soapy t*t w*nk on his show on Virgin Radio about 5 years ago at about 1am on a saturday morning. Monday morning he was fired.

I'm still surprised that the production team haven't been fired or suspended.

Genuinely think that they got totally out of control and that they pushed it too far.
  • Options
    How was a pre recorded show with that content allowed to be broadcast, granted Ross and Brand were wrong to do what they did, but where were the Producers when they were doing this? stop the recording and tell them to behave, I suspect in the long run members of the production team will go.
    I of course would never say anything rude live on the radio, would I BDL?