Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ross and Brand Suspended

1235»

Comments

• Options
    No Pete, you didn't. Matt however..............
  • Options
    The producers who allowed a pre recorded show to still go out although Sachs had said he was not happy with the content should have been sacked straight away.

As for Ross and Brand they cannot be allowed to get away with ringing anyone’s grandparent and saying this sort of stuff. Totally out of order especially from a public broadcaster funded by all of us.
  • Options
    A lot of people are missing the point.

1) It was an obscene broadcast
    2) It was broadcast on the UK's Public Broadcast Corporation
    3) It has nothing to do with The Daily Mail or The Sun or any other media organisation.
    4) It was an obscene broadcast
    5) The production and editorial team may be at fault but then would not be if the original recording was never made.
    6) It was an obscene broadcast
    7) it dosen't matter if was made by Bruce Forsyth, Ronnie Corbett, Moria Stewart, Richard Baker, John Noakes, Arthur Negus, Frank Bough, John Craven, Richard Whitemore, Brian Cant, Tony Hancock, Lord Reithor whoever. It was an obscene broadcast.
    I am no prude, I am no right wing reactionary, I swear in almost every sentence in the workplace. I have and will again make lewd suggestions about women, whether I know them or not. However I do not and would never do such thing publicly or about Granddaughters, Daughters, Sisters, Mothers, Aunts etc of friends and colleagues and the like, Moreover I will never try and make a career out talking filth whilst being paid by the taxpayer.
    And another thing,,,,,, Only 2 people complained etc....... Well NO ONE complained about the holocaulst for a few years but does that make it right? Of course it doesn't!!!
    Witch hunt, media frenzy? Maybe, but sometimes - and certainly in this case- they are justified.
  • Options
    Chirpy, summed up my entire feeling on the matter, well said fella.
  • Options
    Personally I find Ross and Brand funny although I do not listen to either of their radio shows, yet their behaviour is unacceptable unless they know their "victim" well enough to know he would be amused. They are both teenagers in their makeup, and together they just want to out do each other in the shock stakes.

What also annoys me is all the saddos that complain about things like this even though they were unaware that it happened until days later when it hits the press.
  • Options
    Chirpy you are my hero.
  • Options
    Chirpy for PM , well said
  • Options
    Chripy for chief dog catcher.

Seriously, if it hadn't been broadcast no one, would have given a toss, and the poor young lady involved wouldn't be wapping her baps out in the Sun for a cool half mill.

Blame still lies with the producers
  • Options
    Nope blame lies with the performers not some 14 year old producer. If they didnt know the BBC guidelines they should have --- or maybe they didnt give a shit.

thought Brand spoke well last night re him resigning etc.

Even if the lady is no lady why phone her Grand dad and give him abuse ?

As for the numptys(lots about) in Government (both sides) then maybe when they make an error of judgement they should also resign. Of course that would mean that they have a spine between the lot of em.
  • Options
    What should have happened:

Ross and Brand make ill judged joke on digital radio show.
    None of the listeners are offended but the recipients of joke are.
    Ross and Brand realise they've over stepped the mark and apologise.
    Recipients of joke accept apology.
    Ross and Brand get slap on the wrists.
    End of story.

What did happen:

Daily Mail etc. get hold of the story and whip up they're readers into an outraged moral fury, probably largely based on the fact that "that "Russell Brand" chap is just wrong, I mean he wears make up and tight fitting trousers, oh and also he shouldn't have said that nasty thing about the nice old man's grand daughter"
    Morons like the prime minister etc decide they want to stick they're oar in too.
    BBC feel like they now have to prove a point and suspend Ross and Brand.
    Media turn it into "Manuelgate"
    Lots of people on random message boards get themselves into a right old lather about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Or if you want to be more hard line about it:

Ross and Brand get huge fines/suspended from they're jobs for a while.
    End of story.
  • Options
    I wonder how many of the 30000 people that have complained it, actually listened to the show. It's pathetic really and totally over the top. They both apologised, Ross even wrote Sachs a letter, Sachs accepted it and said he wanted to forget about it. That should have been the end of it.
    The granddaughter was so offended and outraged by it that she sold a story about her private life to the Sun!! She can't have them telling her grandad she slept with Brand, but he can read all about in more detail in the papers every day!
  • Options
    going over old ground now
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]going over old ground now

A bit like a football thread then
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It's ALL to do with dropping standards...it needed something cathartic such as this to focus everyones attention to call a halt to 'the dripping tap' of poor standards.
    An example has to be made and a line drawn(which as far as I'm concerned is way too low anyway)...and into the bargain lets not forget folks that this was public money being spent......to say nothing of the enormous salaries these two liberty taking twerps receive.
    It matters not a jot whether or not I heard the broadcast myself...I have heard it since(or parts of it) and I found it distasteful in the extreme.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]It's ALL to do with dropping standards...it needed something cathartic such as this to focus everyones attention to call a halt to 'the dripping tap' of poor standards.
    An example has to be made and a line drawn(which as far as I'm concerned is way too low anyway)...and into the bargain lets not forget folks that this was public money being spent......to say nothing of the enormous salaries these two liberty taking twerps receive.

You're just getting old, and won't understand that the world is changing
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well thanks for that Rothko...add ageism to your list of negative things about you!
    If as you say.... the world is changing does it always do so for the better?
  • Options
    oh rothko thats just rude.

I thought you being such a liberal minded fellow would want people to treat each other with a bit more respect especially your elders? if you want the world to change that much then im surprised.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]It's ALL to do with dropping standards...it needed something cathartic such as this to focus everyones attention to call a halt to 'the dripping tap' of poor standards.

You're just getting old, and won't understand that the world is changing

Well thanks for that Rothko...add ageism to your list of negative things about you!
    If as you say.... the world is changing does it always do so for the better?

Keep growing the list.

Is the world changing for the better, in some aspect yes and some no, but morals and societies view on things have swung all over the place since the enlightenment, and they'll change again.

I quite like a less deferatial world, and one where people are treated equal regardless of race, colour, religion or sexuality.

If things hadn't changed, would we be 5 days away from the first Black president of the USA?
  • Options
    this would be the country that gets slagged off on here, and called the most racist country in the world.

notice you didnt sat age on there ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and age of course, sorry if it offended you all.
  • Options
    So because I'm old as you suggest...(though 60 is hardly that is it)...I'm not allowed an opinion and if I do have one it's worth less than your own because I don't understand...I've had my day have I....I'll just walk off into the sunset then Rothko.....will that suit you......shall I put my name down on the waiting list for my local rest home so I can be out of sight too?
    You'll be my age one day(and maybe Richard Sachs).......remember that!
  • Options
    I think I've said enough and this thread isn't about me anyway and I don't want it to go down that road which just might engulf me in any more controversy....I fancy I'm already on admins 'hit list' after yesterdays STICKY....... so let's just leave it at that shall we.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]So because I'm old as you suggest...(though 60 is hardly that is it)...I'm not allowed an opinion and if I do have one it's worth less than your own because I don't understand...I've had my day have I....I'll just walk off into the sunset then Rothko.....will that suit you......shall I put my name down on the waiting list for my local rest home so I can be out of sight too?
    You'll be my age one day(and maybe Richard Sachs).......remember that!

If I had said that in my post or in subsequent post I would get where you were coming from, but alas I don't