Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Varney and Burton - To Be Permanent Transfers

Comments

• Options
    Not too bothered myself...sometimes a player just cannot crack on at a club for no apparent reason...he may well do the business for Derby....but I seem to remember them getting a certain someone from us many years back and he was pretty much crap for them in comparison to what he dished up for us....he went on to West Ham where he didn't do much either.He eventualy came back to us and did his stuff again for us all over again...no rhyme or reason, it just happens that way sometimes...ala Lisbie and Iwelmo.
    Move on folks.................................................................................wherever that is!
  • Options
    careful

Soundas i posted something based on that theory and that we needed the cash to pay off pards

only to be shot down because i never said how great the club was
  • Options
    Deon Burton is one of the worst footballers to ever manage turning pro. This has got to be one of the worst transfer dealings in our history.

Watch Varney shine at Derby. I was never his biggest fan but I always thought if he got a bit of luck and got a couple of goals and his confidence up then he could be the player that he had potential to be. I bet the fee will be less than £1mil also.
  • Options
    We are not in a position where we can wait any longer for Varney to start scoring or get some luck!!!

Pardew's about "when he gets one, he'll get three" schtick was utterly laughable.

However, I think he's just another in a long line of good footballers ruined by Pardew.
  • Options
    If Burton gets his place then he could have all the time in the world for all I care, I can almost guarantee Varney will be a hit at Derby. I just cant see how Burton is going to solve anything other than being a complete last resort if Andy Gray gets injured. Id rather Jon Fortune came back from injury and relived his younger days as a striker. One of my good mates is a Sheff Weds season ticket holder and his text read 'if you paid a fiver for him then you have been well and truely ripped off'.

Ive followed this team home and away this season, haven't boo'd once yet but this has left me ****ing fuming.
  • Options
    I've texted 3 pals who go have all said "That's it, where down"

You're probably right about Varney doing well at Derby.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Butcher[/cite]If Burton gets his place then he could have all the time in the world for all I care, I can almost guarantee Varney will be a hit at Derby. I just cant see how Burton is going to solve anything other than being a complete last resort if Andy Gray gets injured. Id rather Jon Fortune came back from injury and relived his younger days as a striker. One of my good mates is a Sheff Weds season ticket holder and his text read 'if you paid a fiver for him then you have been well and truely ripped off'.

Ive followed this team home and away this season, haven't boo'd once yet but this has left me ****ing fuming.

Strange that a large number of Wednesday fans seem to have a very different opinon than yourself and your pal.
    I'm ALWAYS going to give someone who joins us my support unlike (it would seem) yourself Butcher...FFS the guy hasn't even laced his boots up and you're having a pop mate...welcome to The Valley Deon...Frank Butcher style!
  • Options
    I'm happy to give him a chance and boy do I hope he does the business but I'm still perplexed why McLeod and Dickson havn't been given a fair crack of the whip as yet.
  • Options
    Can anyone justify how Rothko's comment on Varney being club joke about 48 hours ago was true, he missed a great chance, woopdy f'ing do, i didn't c gray hav 1 chance all game, varney got himself in a good position to take that shot and yes he fluffed it but on another point he is one of the only players i hav seen this season who will give 100% for the team from the first to the last minute, he never stops working unlike past strikers we hav had, an example being Marcus Bent, and yes varney may not be the best in front of goal, maybe because Pards never reliased he would be better on the right wing than as a striker, he didn't lose us the game against QPR, our inability to defend aerially did, as it did against Barnsley and in parts Sheffield.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Problem is SE7 in our position you just can't wait any longer to see if his goal scoring talent returns...I like him and I think most of us do....but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and all admit that for some unknown reason or reasons it just aint happening.
    He may well do great things for Derby but that's no bad reflection neccessarily on us or Luke Varney....we simply don't have the luxury of time on our side mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think rothko was responding to the amount of people myself included saying he needs to go out on loan or dropped to the resies

i stick to that and tbh i am glad he has gone never a striker IMO more of a winger not that we got to find that out under pardew

to be clear i have no concern with signing Burton as he is of the level we are now looking at. (is that clear enough)

I have no issue with Parky being mgr (is that clear enough)

I am not worried about any decision being made by the club my only concern is Southampton (is that clear enough)

From all the reports i have heard from QPR it was better,more promising,

I think Parky could be a good manager for us given the right resources,
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Frank Butcher[/cite]If Burton gets his place then he could have all the time in the world for all I care, I can almost guarantee Varney will be a hit at Derby. I just cant see how Burton is going to solve anything other than being a complete last resort if Andy Gray gets injured. Id rather Jon Fortune came back from injury and relived his younger days as a striker. One of my good mates is a Sheff Weds season ticket holder and his text read 'if you paid a fiver for him then you have been well and truely ripped off'.

Ive followed this team home and away this season, haven't boo'd once yet but this has left me ****ing fuming.[/quote]

Strange that a large number of Wednesday fans seem to have a very different opinon than yourself and your pal.
    I'm ALWAYS going to give someone who joins us my support unlike (it would seem) yourself Butcher...FFS the guy hasn't even laced his boots up and you're having a pop mate...welcome to The Valley Deon...Frank Butcher style![/quote]

Where did I say I wouldn't give him my support? I will give him a chance, I wont write him off without giving him a chance. I would love him to prove me wrong. Ive given my full support at places like Doncaster, Preston, Plymouth this year, Burton isnt going to stop me. But be realistic, this is certainly not something to be happy about.
  • Options
    Plymouth was more promising. Birmingham was more positive. Resourses !!!!! er.Not likely is it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Butcher[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Butcher[/cite]If Burton gets his place then he could have all the time in the world for all I care, I can almost guarantee Varney will be a hit at Derby. I just cant see how Burton is going to solve anything other than being a complete last resort if Andy Gray gets injured. Id rather Jon Fortune came back from injury and relived his younger days as a striker. One of my good mates is a Sheff Weds season ticket holder and his text read 'if you paid a fiver for him then you have been well and truely ripped off'.

I'm ALWAYS going to give someone who joins us my support unlike (it would seem) yourself Butcher...FFS the guy hasn't even laced his boots up and you're having a pop mate...welcome to The Valley Deon...Frank Butcher style!

Where did I say I wouldn't give him my support? I will give him a chance, I wont write him off without giving him a chance. I would love him to prove me wrong. Ive given my full support at places like Doncaster, Preston, Plymouth this year, Burton isnt going to stop me. But be realistic, this is certainly not something to be happy about.

Christ, if that's your way of supporting someone I'd hate to get on the wrong side of ya!!!
  • Options
    Maybe, long day at work which basically pays for me to watch that lot week in week out and not much else and you come home to a joke like this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]And 7 loans two of whom can't play and yet you are still paying their wages.

But we don't pay all their wages, so thats a complete load of shite.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]And 7 loans two of whom can't play and yet you are still paying their wages.

But we don't pay all their wages, so thats a complete load of shite.

some we do some we don't, some we part pay, maybe we are paying Fleetwoods too. Don't be so arsey.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Butcher[/cite]Maybe, long day at work which basically pays for me to watch that lot week in week out and not much else and you come home to a joke like this.

You know Frank..."Footballs a funny old game"...sorry to use that time worn phrase. but it's so very true....you may just find that he does the business for us...who knows Frank...who knows.
    I don't see it as a joke at all, especially in our present predicament.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Butcher[/cite]Deon Burton is one of the worst footballers to ever manage turning pro. This has got to be one of the worst transfer dealings in our history.

How often have you seen him play? And he'd have to be really rubbish to be worse than Redfearn, Traore, Faye, M. Bent, Hasselbaink etc. He's free and his wages won't be much.
  • Options
    Thats right SHG not likely at all bud

i think just for those unclear that i think he can be an ok mgr with the resources that we will be able to supply him.

that is why i believe parky will be our boss he wont cost anything, and he wont have any unrealistic expectaions of how much he will have to chnage things around

rightly or wrongly Pardew had tainted the squad and it needed to be changed around, we now have Waghorn, Burton upfront, Gillespie and mcevely at the back

Waghorn for Varney
    Burton for Gray (should he get injured) or for Toddy who is unfit

Gillespie for Sam (thank god) or Sharon

Mceverly for youga also thankgod

Parky for Pards thank god

all 4 areas are of concern and needed freshening up with no funds, If semedo and Racon where unfit then we would IMO have not gone for another striker but we have Holland, Bailey, racon, Shelvey,Semedo,Wright

not ideal but not suicidal either
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be honest I think that its more about getting something out of the players that Pardew never did. Is Parky the man to do it ? I hope he is but I can`t forget that he was Pardews number two and top coach and couldn1t do it then.
  • Options
    I dont think we can underestimate how big Pardews Ego was and to what extent Parky had influence, Pardew lost the players the dressing room the fans the boards support. Parky was there also but can not be held accountable, not that he is completely exhonerated because he is tarnished by the curse of pardew,

His problem is that he has to forget about that as do we as i cant see anyone else coming in
  • Options
    It’s all about confidence, Varney would of scored more goals for us, eventually, than any player we bring in at our level now. This is a done deal, just read into the statement.
    It is now all about saving money.
  • Options
    How many of us thought that both Curbs and Gritt should have gone, not just Gritty?

I did.

Tainted?
  • Options
    Varney has made 19 appearances this season starting 17 games and scored twice. Burton has made 18 appearances starting 9 and scored once.

I would rather Varney was part of our long term future but he did not progress during Pardew’s reign. Varney may or may not develop at Derby. I hope he does. He has always worked hard for us and I wish him well but no matter the potential he was not delivering an end result. If he had, the hysteria on display here may be merited.

Many have been crying out for him to be rested and for Dickson, McLeod and more recently Waghorn to be given a proper chance or calling for Todorov to get a full game. Play anyone of them and Varney could not regularly feature in the short term.

Adding Burton merely increases the options. We and he do not know whether he was the first or the tenth option we pursued. It matters not. He is with us in the short term at least and looking for a contract. The top scorer for Sheff Wed in 2006/7 he may surprise us.

If he does not I suggest the financial downside will be far more acceptable than we have had to accept in recent years. I wish him well.

Grapevine 49
  • Options
    jeez what has it come to signing journeyman donkey of 32 years old.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Grapevine49[/cite]Varney has made 19 appearances this season starting 17 games and scored twice. Burton has made 18 appearances starting 9 and scored once.

I would rather Varney was part of our long term future but he did not progress during Pardew’s reign. Varney may or may not develop at Derby. I hope he does. He has always worked hard for us and I wish him well but no matter the potential he was not delivering an end result. If he had, the hysteria on display here may be merited.

Many have been crying out for him to be rested and for Dickson, McLeod and more recently Waghorn to be given a proper chance or calling for Todorov to get a full game. Play anyone of them and Varney could not regularly feature in the short term.

Adding Burton merely increases the options. We and he do not know whether he was the first or the tenth option we pursued. It matters not. He is with us in the short term at least and looking for a contract. The top scorer for Sheff Wed in 2006/7 he may surprise us.

If he does not I suggest the financial downside will be far more acceptable than we have had to accept in recent years. I wish him well.

Grapevine 49

Well said, that man. If the price of paying off the Bullshitmeister Pardew is losing a mediocre, if industrious, player like Varney then I don't have a problem with it at all.

Sure, I appreciated Varney's work-rate but we paid 2.5 million for a STRIKER not a winger, the bloke is clearly never going to be a regular scorer at this level so move him on.
  • Options
    I don't think this is the worst bit of business we'll have ever done.

For all his effort, Varney has never looked like being a regular goalscorer and it seems we've got a chance to get a decent proportion of the money spent on him back, and his wages off the books, which didn't look likely a few days ago.
    He may go on and do well at Derby, but that doesn't mean he would have done here and we couldn't wait indefinitely for him to do it.

As for Burton, he's coming in on loan and will be on a free transfer if it works out. If not, then I suppose he'll be going back in January.

We have to come to terms with the fact that we're now a Championship club and not a particularly wealthy one at that - and will be even less so once the parachute payments have ended.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I wonder if Parky is doing the football management equivalent of gobbing in your dinner, so nobody else will want to eat it.

Pointless,when you consider Pardew has already shat in it.
  • Options
    Whilst you couldnt fault Varney's effort, for whatever the reason it didn't work out for him. It was time for both parties to move on. I like what Parky is saying about partnerships and how he is going about shaking up the squad. Forget about Burton's age, its about players styles complimenting one another.

On a different note, just been watching Portsmouth v AC Milan. The Portsmouth fans really get behind the team. Isn't about time we did the same rather than slating a player before he has even put the shirt on.