Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Permanent Manager

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Goonerhater asked:

"so what has Parky been doing for the last 2 years then?''

Some sympathy with that question. It does seem quite odd that nobody knows what Parky's specific responsibilities were over the last two years while he has been drawing a fairly generous salary...

When someone makes as comprehensive a mess of just about everything as Pardew did, one would have expected his backroom team to depart with him. That didn't happen, so forthe moment we support Parky in his caretakership.

My beef is that I wish the board would make up their minds - or, if they have let us know, whether Parky is :

a genuine caretaker (ie in temporary charge while they find an outsider to bring in)

or is on trial for the job, and there's no intention of bringing in an outsider unless he mucks up.

It seems to have been rather fudged as to which it is...
  • Options
    All Parkinson ever did was sit in chair talking to celebs------------------i could do that------------gis a job (Yosser Hughes--- legend)
  • Options
    You can be caretaker chair sitter Goonerhater. Don`t mess up
  • Options
    For now, one match at a time, let's just see how it unfolds.

Parky's saying the right things and his team is performing as a team, in stark contrast to the previous incumbent.

Even if the club should appoint a high profile name as a new manager, there are no guarantees of success.
    Pardew was a high profile manager when he came to Charlton.

As I said, no guarantees.
  • Options
    Nigel you make a fair point but not sure that its been fudged. The board have said caretaker which implies temporary but how silly would they be not to consider or give that caretaker the oportunity to make the job his if he does well. What could they say to him. Listen Phil you are caretaker till we appoint the new bloke and then you can take a hike. Would certainly make him try his hardest don`t you think. For what its worth I think the board are looking at other options but being realistic and fair to the man in the seat now.
  • Options
    FFS people there is no Super Hero, no cavalry coming over the hill, a new manager ANYONE means we spend CASH. We dont have the cash, its Parky.

Anyone who can stay in a job for two whole years when no 1 has a f**kin clue what he has been up to has to have something about him. Give him a chance !! at least we know where he is !
  • Options
    Nigel, why should the Board rush to make their minds up?! Far better IMHO to take their time, see how Parky does, see what other options are available & then take a balanced decision based on all the facts. What on earth is to be gained by rushing into a hugely important decision just for the sake of it?
  • Options
    Pete , that's not what I'm saying, though.

Acepting what you say, all I'm asking is that the board should tell us if that is the sutuation - i.e. ''Mr Parky, you are on trial. If you do OK, the job is yours."

If he's just a caretaker and they are looking outside regardless because they want a clean break with the old regime, then say so.

As it stands, I don't know if he will be here next week. Nor do you. Nor do the players, presumably.
  • Options
    Nigel,

I know it's nice old Charlton here but why should they? And to be honest, what is ok?

I suspect he wont have been told either of those things but he knows, or at least thinks that he'll be in the driving seat if he does "ok"..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]

My beef is that I wish the board would make up their minds - or, if they have let us know, whether Parky is :

a genuine caretaker (ie in temporary charge while they find an outsider to bring in)

or is on trial for the job, and there's no intention of bringing in an outsider unless he mucks up.

It seems to have been rather fudged as to which it is...

What difference will it make Nige?
    Let's face it.The board havn't got a pot to pi55 in so why not stick with Parky.

He's been here a while and knows a lot of the players so why not stick with Parky'

The board are also terrible at making decisions about managers. Jumping straight in to get an outsider could be risky on their part ,so why not stick with Parky.

You get the general idea here.Let's give the bloke a chance
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2008
    ''Let's face it.The board havn't got a pot to pi55 in so why not stick with Parky.

He's been here a while and knows a lot of the players so why not stick with Parky'

The board are also terrible at making decisions about managers. Jumping straight in to get an outsider could be risky on their part ,so why not stick with Parky.'

In which case, why not just confirm now? Answer : presumably because they're not sure he can do it and so they're giving him a chance to show he can. Equally that means they're giving him a chance to fail and if he does, someone else will come in with even less time to try to turn it around.

I may be wrong, but I think the ongoing uncertainty does nobody any favours when we need total focus, total unity of spirit and everybody knowing exactly wehat the task is and who's doing what ...
  • Options
    Ermmm.................Yes !
  • Options
    nothing disrespect, but i really think the board suxks and so the fans.....

up until that point Ralph yung was getting no abuse or being shot down

up until that point although i wasnt sure about what he was posting i tried to say things were alrite yesterday.

as for your views no one has shot you down just perhaps suggesting you are being a tad short sighted with your 0-0 draw home to southampton is tosh

chillax and lets just wait and see the clean sheet and 60 mins of hard working industrious footie is better than what we have seen in the last 10 to 16 weeks
  • Options
    We obviously cannot afford a big name manager and need someone who has Championship experience and is currently out of a job- hence no compo to be paid to their employers. Big Sam is too big a name now but what about someone like Ian Holloway. His Plymouth team was extraordinary for the amount of money that he had to work with. Having read his autobiography, he obviously has got a good fotballing brain and his scouting network was second to none. That is one thing I do think that we have got wrong- our scouts don't seem to be-if you excuse the pun- on the ball enough. Scotland has always been a fertile ground for decent foootballers and there must be one or two up there who decent enough to play for CAFC but can anyone name the last scot who came to us direct from a scottish team! Also Holloway is a real character and someone for the fans to interact with. Pards and Parky aren't exactly known for being 'chummy' with the fans and often seemed to reserved. Ollie would be a great motivator of both the crowd and the team. Fair play to Parky though with his three new signings- all had good games yesterday, but they are only on loans-for the time being.
  • Options
    Apart from "fun" value I am not sure that holloway can offer us anything Parky can`t.
  • Options
    Just shows how far weve fallen nth london , with our 0-0 result against southampton being a good result. ( which considering the circumstances proberly was) . The last scot was the ginger right back i think , scored against birmingham , felt homesick and was shipped back .
  • Options
    Just remember Chumbawamba !
  • Options
    You mean ''I wouldn't p**s on you if you were on fire'', SHG? !
  • Options
    lol...no the other one !
  • Options
    As I have already said Ollie would bring us a decent scouting network-something we sorely need- Plymouth had several unknown Hungarians who madean impact as well as some tasty youth players from Man Utd- look at how Sylvan Ebanks-Blake flourished under him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh sorry- I also forgot, he'd bring us Passion and Commitment to the team and from the team.
  • Options
    CHARLTON fans should beware of what they wish for. Having got rid of manager Alan Pardew after their last home game, there are now rumours that the club might appoint ex-Watford boss Adrian Boothroyd. One could not imagine a worse case of frying pan and fire.

Times Online today
  • Options
    OK, I just stumbled across this thread, and although I should just ignore it, foolishly won't. Just because someone lives 3000 miles away doesn't mean that their opinions aren't worth a toss, nor does living in America (and I don't) mean that you can't have an informed opinion. Those on a wind-up should be ignored, rather than taking an equally ill-informed swipe at the lot of those of us who, although we take an interest in something that we all love, suffer the misfortune of not being close enough to have a season ticket. Football generally, and Charlton specifically is why we are all here, after all...

Overly defensive rant over. :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    "Amazing how your English has improved since your first few posts. The education system in US must be great"

sounds like i just moved to america after my first post, btw, you are absolutely right. education system in us is very good.

i just gave my opinions, you can dislike it but please respect.
  • Options
    thx can-addick, i just want to point out that parky is not the man, let me said this: it's fair to give parky chance, but time will not allow us to do that. we need someone who have been proved to have ability to lead a club, not someone "maybe" able to.
  • Options
    If you are genuinely what you say you are Yung then I am a dutch old master. Your level of English grammer is up and down like a whores draws.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: yung2368[/cite]thx can-addick, i just want to point out that parky is not the man, let me said this: it's fair to give parky chance, but time will not allow us to do that. we need someone who have been proved to have ability to lead a club, not someone "maybe" able to.

Actually Parkie has proved he can lead a club having got Colchester promoted, yes he failed at Hull,but then so too did Big Sam at Newcastle, George graham at Spurs,Billy davies at Derby. Potentially Parkie is Curbs of 16 years ago,with a little more experience.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]If you are genuinely what you say you are Yung then I am a dutch old master. Your level of English grammer is up and down like a whores draws.[/quote]

English is my second language so hope you understand. btw, should we talk about something club related instead of my poor english?
  • Options
    and you Yung, how about you talk about something club related other than Alan Curbishley?!
  • Options
    i think curbs is part of the club, dont you think?