Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Palace - Tues 27th Jan - Match Thread, Poll, Your Teams & Views

WSSWSS
edited January 2009 in General Charlton
Well it's now upon us, probably the least eagerly awaited game against Palace for a number of years.

Hudson doubtful. Who goes in goal? Yes, of course everyone wants Dickson upfront, but with who? If anyone? How is the midfield going to line up.

And most importantly, what is the result going to be?

Them doing the double over us in unthinkable surely and the tide will really turn on EVERYONE at the club I feel, a draw is much of a muchness and will a win against our closest fake rivals see us turn 'that' corner?

All your thoughts here...

Comments

• Options
    Easy win, Burton will score a bucket load against their Paddyless defence. In reality a draw, either 0-0 or 1-1.
  • Options
    As ever a 3 - 0 victory for us.

Team as follows:

Weaver
    Motorkil (wing back), Basey (centre Back), Fortune (centre back), Holland (centre back), Youga (wing back)
    Bailey, Racon, Shelvey/Ambrose/Sam
    Burton, Dicko.
  • Options
    We're gonna smash em.

Expect us to go on the attack, and for them to be on the back foot right from the start. Early tactics will see us win a number of key individual battles, then when things calm down a little, expect us to resort to long throws as our main form of attack.

Not sure how the game will go though :-)
  • Options
    We'll start well for the first half hour, have a number of chances but not score.

Then we'll concede with their first real chance - given to them by poor defending.

Then we'll never look like scoring again.

Same as every other f**king game!

But you never know, we have to win sometime! :)

Key thing is to match their work rate. At Palace we never got near to doing that.
  • Options
    The 2-1 defeat at Bramall Lane has given the Charlton manager hope - despite a miserable run that has brought just one win on 20 games.

He said: "There can be no better game for us to get our fans back on side than the Palace game. That could be a real catalyst for us."
  • Options
    Shelvey and Bailey are going to run the midfield tommorow night, for the first time in a long time i can see a win on the horizon, lose tomorrow and the backlash from the fans is going to be massive, its a no lose game
  • Options
    Things are about to get even worse. 2-0 Palace and outplayed.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

He said: "There can be no better game for us to get our fans back on side than the Palace game. That could be a real catalyst for us."

Then Mr P you need to pick a team that lets us know just how serious you are about a) winning the game and b) getting us back on side don't you?!
  • Options
    All I'm saying is I'm dreading it!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    even if we do win it'll be as meaningless(in the end) as the west ham win turned out to be in the premiership
    we done the double over them last year and look who ended up in the play offs
    palace will laugh their heads off cos win lose or draw we are down
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully Racon will start

And Dickson

My team if everyone was fit:

Weaver (if fit/not sold)
    YASSIN Hudson Fortune Basey
    Sam Racon Bailey Ambrose
    Shelvey
    Dickson
  • Options
    ..............Elliott

Murty...Hudson..Fortune...Basey

Soares..Bailey...Spring....Ambrose

..........Dickson.......Gray
  • Options
    Tomorrow is going to be the pinnacle. If we win, then it might just give us the platform to give survival a go. However, if as is more than likely, we lose with another clueless performace, then the shit is going to properly hit the fan..........

Also, if I see Burton's name on the team sheet, it will take all my strength to leave the Oak.......
  • Options
    Racon and Dickson have to start.

Gray alongside Dickson would be preferable to Burton.
  • Options
    Also, if I see Gray's name on the teamsheet then I might not leave the Oak. Actually, I dont think I should see the teamsheet until I am locked in the ground!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]As ever a 3 - 0 victory for us.

Team as follows:

Weaver
    Motorkil (wing back), Basey (centre Back), Fortune (centre back), Holland (centre back), Youga (wing back)
    Bailey, Racon, Shelvey/Ambrose/Sam
    Burton, Dicko.

with a 13 strong side we have to win!
  • Options
    i am going so we will WIN
  • Options
    Given that we have slipped so far behind other sides, can Parky afford to play 4-5-1 for must win games? I think at home he must go 4-4-2. With Palace likely to by-pass the midfield and bombard us with long balls, five in midfield would be a waste, I'd even be tempted to go Gray, Burton, Dicko upfront. I'd also like to see Basey's height used a a holding midfielder.
  • Options
    I'll take a draw!!
  • Options
    Well, the form book suggests 2 or 3 nil to the Palarse.

BUT we do need to add into the mix PP's motivational skills
    So, thats 4 or 5 nil to them.
    Then we should factor in his in depth tactical knowledge, based on observation, unterstanding and guile.
    6 or 7 nil to the stripeys.
    I shouldnt forget his brilliant team selection process
    and his wonderful ability to choose the right substitute at the right time
    10 nil.
    His rapport with the crowd may also influence the result. His pre and post match comments are sure to get us acting as a 12th man. For the Nigels.
    11 nil it is then.

I nearly forgot, the fact that we are on the back of such a morale boosting cup result, combined with the unbelievable run we have been on since he took over may be of significance.
    13 nil. to the Croydon supermarkets. That's my final offer.

PS
    PP's overall record in this division would be considered relevant by some of the more dis-heartened or discerning fans, but that would just be too harsh on our supremo, so I simply wont countenance such a thing. He's just been unlucky and every team has shown signs of improvement. So thats OK then.
    One or two doubters may also feel that the fact he was given the full time position ''based on results'' (Copyright, 'Great Lies of the 21st Century'), and that the relevant ''results'' didnt include a single ''win'' (for clarification of this concept, consult Charlton records dating back to last year), might have some bearing on this game but again I say NO!. I dont know why, but No.

PPS I hope (but dont expect) to eat my cynical words tomorrow evening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I'll take a draw!!

I dont think a draw is any good. A win or (heavens forbid) a loss are the only two things which may move the club forward.

I know the above sounds daft, but a draw is a nothing result which would leave us sliding towards Division 1 whilst Parky would draw some positives.
  • Options
    no one suggesting we start randolph then?

really hope we dont see gray tomorrow either.
  • Options
    Palace fan in peace here. Think it will be a tight game and you may well possibly edge considering we have conceded 8 goals in the past 2 games.

Whats your attendance going to be like obviously with you not having the best of seasons do you reckon fans will stay away? We sold out last week which is pretty good as presume we have whole of that end stand.

I have heard that not laying on extra trains either which seems ridiculous considering it's a big derby game.
  • Options
    If we play like we did at there place this season then I can only see a Palace win. As long as I see 11 players out there in a Charlton shirt running there nuts off and competing for every ball then thats all I can ask for. We did not see that at there place this season and thats what disappointed me more than the result.
  • Options
    Whats your attendance going to be like obviously with you not having the best of seasons do you reckon fans will stay away? We sold out last week which is pretty good as presume we have whole of that end stand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPFC1301

I reckon around 23 thousand to 24 thousand. Also the away fans are in the Jimmy Seed Stand (South) not the east.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Hopefully Racon will start

And Dickson

My team if everyone was fit:

Weaver (if fit/not sold)
    YASSIN Hudson Fortune Basey
    Sam Racon Bailey Ambrose
    Shelvey
    Dickson

I like that team, but would consider Shelvey on the right, Sam or Ambrose on the left and Burton/Gray or Todorov up front with Dickson. Not sure who I want in goal really, none of them have really impressed me or been particularly poor either.
  • Options
    I think if you beat us i am sure you will go on and beat the drop as it will be a massive boost but don't know what will happen if it is the other way round. Also i lost my ticket and have to pick up a new one tomorrow does anyone know where i can pick it up from?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: CPFC1301[/cite]I think if you beat us i am sure you will go on and beat the drop as it will be a massive boost but don't know what will happen if it is the other way round. Also i lost my ticket and have to pick up a new one tomorrow does anyone know where i can pick it up from?
    Pop into the conservative club mate. ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: CPFC1301[/cite]I think if you beat us i am sure you will go on and beat the drop as it will be a massive boost but don't know what will happen if it is the other way round. Also i lost my ticket and have to pick up a new one tomorrow does anyone know where i can pick it up from?[/quote]
    Pop into the conservative club mate. ;-)[/quote]

Would just rather not have egg on my face as i am going up with some charlton fans so playing it very low key. Obviously if we win i will take the piss as much as he did last season. To be honest hope you don't go down as i am enjoying these twice a season half day booze ups.
  • Options
    Elliot

Moo2 (not been impressed by Murty)
    Fortune
    Hudson
    Basey (better than Youga IMHO

Spring
    Racon
    Bailey
    Soares

Ambrose/Shelvey

Dickson (not convinced but if not now then when. With some passing players behind him and a five man midfield play the channels and see if he can find space)

A win. Not sure for who but someone.