Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champions League Football

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Nice to see the "respect" campaign is really working ;-)

I'd like to thank the footballing gods for giving me two absolutely perfect nights of football. To see crying Gooners and Chelsea plastics in the crowd was priceless.

I thought Guus Hiddink showed absolute class last night with his post-match interview and came across extremely well. In contrast, Drogba, Ballack and England captain John Terry should be absolutely ashamed of themselves and hope UEFA (and the FA if they can) throw the book at them.

Oh and who else noticed the empty seats in the Matthew Harding stand last night? Still cant sell out for a Champions League Semi-Final, just shows how pathetic their support is.[/quote]

Totally agree with these sentiments John Boy and glad that Barcelona are in the final.
  • Options
    Last nights result was amazing. I haven't had so much fun as I did last night letting the Chelsea fans know how brilliant it is that they were robbed.

It makes up for all the times they have cheated there way to victory over the last 4-5 years!!!

It's also nice to see the two best club sides in the world in the final.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]I thought Guus Hiddink showed absolute class last night with his post-match interview and came across extremely well. In contrast, Drogba, Ballack and England captain John Terry should be absolutely ashamed of themselves and hope UEFA (and the FA if they can) throw the book at them.[/quote]

Good point about Hiddink. The more i see him, the more I like him. Always honest and sensible comments, does not get involved in manager wars as per Benitez.

I wonder if he would be up for a real challenge in SE7 next season
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Amen to Jrts point. I think a lot of the opinions on here reflect that Chelsea have most things except- footballing respect, decent fans and a place in the Champions League final and also poo poo's the quaint notion that english fans always want english clubs to do well in europe. Seeing their legions of plastic fans in Sutton high street last night crying and getting all irregular with anyone who doesn't subscribe to the brainwash cult that is the plastic Chelsea fan was a truly hideous experience for the human condition, considering that these chav's and chavettes probably followed Man U 10 years ago!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Henry - when you say 'two actual champions in the final' do you mean current league champions or about to be elected champions?
    Because Real Madrid are the current Spanish champions.

I thought Barca won it last year. Thanks for putting me right. I meant reigning champs ie got entry to the CL by winning their league.

No wonder the quiz team only finished 5th.

So when was the last time both finalists qualified by winning their domestic league?
    Shirty5, where are you?
  • Options
    Henry - after looking through a list of recent finals and checking on Wikipedia it seems the last time the final was between two champions was 1998 - Real Madrid v Juventus. Both had won their leagues in the 96-97 season.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    BBClaus - you say Sky are biased in saying he shouldn't ref big games, do you think he reffed well then? Not only were at least 2 of them clear penalties (the foul on Drogba and the Pique handball) but also the sending off of Abidal.

i was saying it's ridiculous to say that the referee was bad because he's from norway. Jamie Redknapp actually said only English, Spanish and Italian referees should take charge of big european games. As if our referees have never put in bad performances! Clearly this ref didn't have a good game, but redknapp saying it was because he was too slow because he's only used to reffing in norway is nonsense. He's reffed 20 something games in the Champions League, including the villareal vs arsenal quarter final, and i'd expect his performance in those games is what got him selected for this one.

The bitteness from frank's cousin and souness meant they were totally unable to analyse the game. I've never seen anything like it! Even on sky!
  • Options
    Speaking from a neutral point of view I don't really blame the Chelsea players as I am sure any team would have done the same, be it Man Utd or Arsenal and with the injustice the ref had showed them I would have been that angry when it would have given the chance to do over United and get revenge for last year.
  • Options
    Chris;
    Wanna play for the CASC quizteam ?
    ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Henry - after looking through a list of recent finals and checking on Wikipedia it seems the last time the final was between two champions was 1998 - Real Madrid v Juventus. Both had won their leagues in the 96-97 season.

Thanks.

Still think it should be champions and the holders,no one else but more money and TV to keep all the big names in and exclude champions of smaller countries.

Favourite European cup final story (and this is not to wind up any Teddy Bears) is about the Celtic players in the tunnel at Lisbon. All the bronzed, oiled italians in brand new kits looking at this rag bag assortment of jocks (and they were all born within 30 miles of Parkhead) with their broken teeth and snow white tans. Then the players launched into "it's a grand old team to play for".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]
    BBClaus - you say Sky are biased in saying he shouldn't ref big games, do you think he reffed well then? Not only were at least 2 of them clear penalties (the foul on Drogba and the Pique handball) but also the sending off of Abidal.

i was saying it's ridiculous to say that the referee was bad because he's from norway. Jamie Redknapp actually said only English, Spanish and Italian referees should take charge of big european games. As if our referees have never put in bad performances! Clearly this ref didn't have a good game, but redknapp saying it was because he was too slow because he's only used to reffing in norway is nonsense. He's reffed 20 something games in the Champions League, including the villareal vs arsenal quarter final, and i'd expect his performance in those games is what got him selected for this one.

The bitteness from frank's cousin and souness meant they were totally unable to analyse the game. I've never seen anything like it! Even on sky!

Whilst i agree with you that he wasn't bad simply because he was from Norway, surely it makes more sense to put a ref from a country with a bigger league in charge. And to put a guy with only a few champions league matches under his belt for a big champions league semi is pretty poor. It also turns out that apparently in Euro 2008 he reffed a game and made mistakes there, giving a dubious penalty and disallowing a good goal and didn't ref another game after that.
  • Options
    I don't think 20 something CL games is that few and he has been a FIFA referee for a long time and has been apparently been selected for the next world cup.

I think howard webb is a good referee, but he has had quite a bit of controversy. It's because referees make mistakes and have off nights.

This link has some of the biggest and european games he's done, going back to 2000:

ovrebo

Over the last few years he's done CL games, with about 8 this year, he's done internationals, qualifiers, UEFA cup. He's reffed all our big teams and plenty of others. He's being made into some sunday league referee asked to ref the world cup final.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]I don't think 20 something CL games is that few and he has been a FIFA referee for a long time and has been apparently been selected for the next world cup.

I think howard webb is a good referee, but he has had quite a bit of controversy. It's because referees make mistakes and have off nights.

This link has some of the biggest and european games he's done, going back to 2000:

ovrebo

Over the last few years he's done CL games, with about 8 this year, he's done internationals, qualifiers, UEFA cup. He's reffed all our big teams and plenty of others. He's being made into some sunday league referee asked to ref the world cup final.

I know, but don't you know that Platini and the English-hating bureaucrats at UEFA have been brain-washing him all week with anti-English propaganda. That's why he sent off the Barcelona player!!! The English press is just so ridiculous sometimes.
  • Options
    I wonder how many Chelsea fans are using their crayons to scribble out the name Anders Frisk on copies of letters they sent a few years back?
  • Options
    I really think Chelsea should **** off over this, as someone just said, Anders Frisk was given the same treatment
  • Options
    I must have missed it but I don't know what Terry is supposed to have done wrong. Ballack and Drogba yes but from what I saw Terry was trying to get Drogba away from the Ref.

As Captain, isn't Terry entitled to speak to the Ref?

My take was that 2 of the incidents were nailed on pens the other 2 were in the "seen them given" barcket.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentred2[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne
    Ok tell me what they were great at?? passing sideways, overhit through balls i know they can do it but just thought last night they were average a lot of ball possesion with very little threat. Chelsea should have won end of story

76% possession does not happen from average performances!

Didn't do much with it though. You can have 95% possession but what does it matter if you're not scoring. They took 93 minutes to have a shot on target.
    For me what the 2 games have shown is that the Spanish league is no way near as good as the premier league. Barca didn't create much over 2 legs against our 3rd best side yet have scored 100 league goals. Madrid are 2nd about 15-20 points clear of 3rd place and Liverpool stuffed them 4-0.
  • Options
    Still won the tie though, and that is all that matters.

Two stunning goals last night as well
  • Options
    Good game of football for the neutral.
  • Options
    Think UEFA have done brilliantly in setting up a 3rd/4th place playoff game on Sunday so quickly..............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    312e1sl.gif
  • Options
    Rothers, thats cracked me up lol
  • Options
    Shave your head like Collina appears to take you to the top of the referees list.....Webb? I dont fink so?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Rothers, thats cracked me up lol

seconded.
  • Options
    Listning to Gordon Taylor on the BBC, its so true. Players are always slated for not showing enough passion yet when they do they get slammed for it. Also I agree the with the fact that there are people like Fletcher and Abidal who are now going to miss the biggest games of their lives and the referee does not have to sit and answer to a panel on why he got it wrong, worse Barca and Man Utd can't appeal. Now I'm no Chelsea lover but the game really does f**k me off sometimes, why we can't bring in video replay just baffles me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE7[/cite]Listning to Gordon Taylor on the BBC, its so true. Players are always slated for not showing enough passion yet when they do they get slammed for it. Also I agree the with the fact that there are people like Fletcher and Abidal who are now going to miss the biggest games of their lives and the referee does not have to sit and answer to a panel on why he got it wrong, worse Barca and Man Utd can't appeal. Now I'm no Chelsea lover but the game really does f**k me off sometimes, why we can't bring in video replay just baffles me.

Easy, because with the bottomless pockets available to Champions League clubs like Chelsea they would appeal every single flipping decision if they could and play the percentages. Most they'll lose and it'll cost them some extra dough, some they'll get a result on where they didn't deserve it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE7[/cite]Listning to Gordon Taylor on the BBC, its so true. Players are always slated for not showing enough passion yet when they do they get slammed for it. Also I agree the with the fact that there are people like Fletcher and Abidal who are now going to miss the biggest games of their lives and the referee does not have to sit and answer to a panel on why he got it wrong, worse Barca and Man Utd can't appeal. Now I'm no Chelsea lover but the game really does f**k me off sometimes, why we can't bring in video replay just baffles me.

Passion is fine if you are talking about running your balls off and going 100% at every challenge, you cross the line when you verbally abuse and try and physically intimidate the referee. Drogba was a disgrace and Terry not far behind him.