Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champions League Football

1235»

Comments

• Options
    The ref is from Norway, what a disgrace, they should only come from big football countries like England, Spain, Italy...

Now maybe I was drunk at the time but didnt I see some complete idiot of a ref in Euro 2008 giving a player three yellow cards? Could anyone remind me who he was, where he came from and whether perhaps he had previous form as a complete and utter knobhead?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Now maybe I was drunk at the time but didnt I see some complete idiot of a ref in Euro 2008 giving a player three yellow cards? Could anyone remind me who he was, where he came from and whether perhaps he had previous form as a complete and utter knobhead?

Exactly what we were saying at work today
  • Options
    Any chance of Sky giving us a more balanced view in future and not always digging up the shit. Richard Keys cant wait to get stuck into some tittle/tattle of a match.

They just love these sort of things.

I personally would like more use of video replay. Perhaps if they had a system like the line call challenge in tennis which means you can only use it sparingly may help. Players cheat all the time now and are encouraged by the managers. Its damn difficult in normal time to see exactly what has happened. In so many close up slowmo replays I watch you invariably see something you didnt with the naked eye (shirt pull being the classic).

And the punishments should mean something. I think Drogba should be banned from European Competitions for 2 seasons. That may reduce his marketability somewhat.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SE7[/cite]Listning to Gordon Taylor on the BBC, its so true. Players are always slated for not showing enough passion yet when they do they get slammed for it. Also I agree the with the fact that there are people like Fletcher and Abidal who are now going to miss the biggest games of their lives and the referee does not have to sit and answer to a panel on why he got it wrong, worse Barca and Man Utd can't appeal. Now I'm no Chelsea lover but the game really does f**k me off sometimes, why we can't bring in video replay just baffles me.

Passion is fine if you are talking about running your balls off and going 100% at every challenge, you cross the line when you verbally abuse and try and physically intimidate the referee. Drogba was a disgrace and Terry not far behind him.

i totally agree ormiston.

All these managers coming out to say they feel sorry for the players and totally understand why they reacted as they did need to get a grip. Steve coppell actually said the only people criticising the players are people outside professional football. If that's true then football has big problems.

Gordon Taylor said in the interview i heard that by punishing the players we're dealing with the symptoms not the real problem which is that referees get things wrong so we need to bring in video replays to check decisions. So the real problem is referees getting things wrong, not the attitude of the players. By saying that he's justifying how they reacted. It's a cliche but other sports dont have this much of a problem, so why cant footballers control themselves.

The real victim here is the referee getting death threats and living with police guarding his house. For me, the way the players treated him has contributed to that.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    did the ref get lots wrong ? yes he did

Maybe 2/3 Chelsea players should be banned from the Chumps League next seasn ( Ballache and Drog----------ahhhhhhhh im very hurt---Daaaa)

Dont forget the Barca guy sent off didnt leave the pitch strt away did he ? so he will get an extended ban.

The Chelsea coaches should take Drogda to one side (gently) and tell him that he dosnt get pens when he is fouled because he goes down like he has been hit with a "full metal jacket" every few mins. Then show the pancy the clip when the ball---yes the ball, hiting him onthe shoulder-- he then flys up in the air-- spins round and needs treatment !! Maybe Jacky Chan is his coach ?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]And the punishments should mean something. I think Drogba should be banned from European Competitions for 2 seasons. That may reduce his marketability somewhat.

Can't remember which paper, but on the back page of one this morning it states that Abramovich wants him out...
  • Options
    Slightly off subject;

would anyone like him at Charlton ?
    Personally, No, I think he's a terrific striker, but deep down I don't like blatant Cheats (ala Ronaldo,Drogba,Dennis Wise,etc).
  • Options
    The problem with football on TV is all the pundits and "experts" are ex-players, and they all cover each other. They make excuses for each other, they call blatant cheating "gamesmanship", because they know they did it. Looks at the pedersen dive at arsenal. It was a total disgrace, he should be banned for at least a game, but do they castigate him on MOTD, no they have a chuckle about it. You watch Rooney repeatedly tell the ref to fuck off, do the commentators say he's a disgrace? No, they question the referee instead.

So when chelsea lose because they're £100k a week striker can't score from 2 one on one chances and persuades a ref he wasn't pulled back by throwing himself forwards in the most over dramatic fashion possible it's obviously the ref's fault.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]The problem with football on TV is all the pundits and "experts" are ex-players, and they all cover each other. They make excuses for each other, they call blatant cheating "gamesmanship", because they know they did it. Looks at the pedersen dive at arsenal. It was a total disgrace, he should be banned for at least a game, but do they castigate him on MOTD, no they have a chuckle about it. You watch Rooney repeatedly tell the ref to fuck off, do the commentators say he's a disgrace? No, they question the referee instead.

So when chelsea lose because they're £100k a week striker can't score from 2 one on one chances and persuades a ref he wasn't pulled back by throwing himself forwards in the most over dramatic fashion possible it's obviously the ref's fault.

Nail on the head, its a big fecking Old Boys Club that scratches each others backs and strokes each others egos all day long - I just cannot watch it at all. Some of the best football analysis, in my view, can be found on RTE in Ireland where Eamonn Dunphy (not everyone's cup of tea, I know), Johnny Giles and Liam Brady really go at it and could not give a toss (especially Dunphy) about who they offend with their opinions. They have had some right tear ups over the years.

Sky and the BBC are terrified of doing that kind of coverage in case they lose "access" to the players whereas RTE don't care because they only want the football and don't follow the celebrity bullshit.
  • Options
    the referee last night was from switzerland, not one of the bigger domestic leagues, and had a really good game.

Sorry if this is old news but i liked it...
    ROY HODGSON has slated Jamie Redknapp for attacking Chelsea-Barcelona referee, Tom Henning Ovrebo.

Redknapp said Ovrebo was out of his depth because he was from Norway. TV pundit Redknapp said: “How many big games has he reffed in Norway? I don’t know why we can’t have the best ref from Germany or Italy. I don’t think someone from Norway should be reffing a game with the intensity of this one.”

Fulham boss Hodgson, said: “Do people want to go down the Jamie Redknapp route — that only England, Italy and Spain count and everywhere else is no good?”

Hodgson, who has worked extensively in Scandanavia, hit back.

"There's 60 countries in Europe. Do we say to the other 57: 'Sorry pal, you're not Premier League'.

"Norway is good enough. The average crowd in Norway is 15,000 and that's in a country of four million. We can only average 25,000 in a country of 60 million people.

He said: “Are we going to say, ‘You’re from Spain, you might be OK but the rest of you, Switzerland, France, Poland, Russia, Austria, Ukraine, Slovenia, Serbia, can go f*** yourselves because you don’t count?’ It’s nonsense.”
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well said Roy, I cringed when Redknapp made that comment, what an imbecile.