Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• Swisdom said:

I'm not concerned - our first team just managed to beat Fulham and Sporting Lisbon.

Who cares if they were pre season friendlies - it shows we have a good team spirit and togetherness.

I expect a couple of loan deals to occur once the Premier league squads are sorted but would like to think we have got enough about us to remain competitive and ready to consolidate in the Championship

I agree, I think we will sign 1/2 on loan from Prem clubs, when they have sorted their signings/squads out. In fact, I am 99% sure a certain striker will be joining on loan.
  • The current squad was assembled with the champ in mind.
    League one was pretty much a cake walk. Only fair to let them have a crack at the bigger stage.
    Reckon we'll see a couple more but not until we know for sure where needs strengthening
    League one was pretty much a cake walk. Only fair to let them have a crack at the bigger stage.
    Reckon we'll see a couple more but not until we know for sure where needs strengthening

Good post.
  • Not concerned at all.

you might be if you'd seen the Cup game on tuesday..........using Waggy as an out-and-out striker is not a long term option IMO - so come Sat if BWP pulls up after 10 mins , with Haynes not fit, then we are struggling. Cook can play there, Hayes can play there - but I'd prefer a bit more quality

• Not concerned at all.

you might be if you'd seen the Cup game on tuesday..........using Waggy as an out-and-out striker is not a long term option IMO - so come Sat if BWP pulls up after 10 mins , with Haynes not fit, then we are struggling. Cook can play there, Hayes can play there - but I'd prefer a bit more quality

So what are you saying?
    We need to sign someone quick in case all ten of our strikers get injured?

I agree that it is already a strong squad, with good players and the right attitude who can hold their own in this division but Powell already knows where and with whom he wishes to strengthen.

He said he'd like all the new players in before Welling or at least before the Spain trip. Now the new season is here and he is still "hoping".

It's not that he hasn't brought many in but why hasn't he brought many in. And it's clearly not because he doesn't feel the need.
  • Spot on Henry those are my thoughts entirely

I am sure that we can struggle on fine and stay up this season with our current squad, but this is not the way Powell wanted it to be judging by reading his quotes throughout the summer.

I agree that it is already a strong squad, with good players and the right attitude who can hold their own in this division but Powell already knows where and with whom he wishes to strengthen.

He said he'd like all the new players in before Welling or at least before the Spain trip. Now the new season is here and he is still "hoping".

It's not that he hasn't brought many in but why hasn't he brought many in. And it's clearly not because he doesn't feel the need.

Who knows.

I'm sure Alex Ferguson wanted Van Persie for a full pre season.

Well I know for sure where we need strengthening so I am confident the manager does too.

• Not concerned at all.

Forget about the cup game we are short of quality in the squad full stop. If the board are hoping to muddle through they could have a shock coming to them. The 1st eleven are probably good enough to survive but take a look at the bench & tell me that there are seven players you'd be happy playing in the 1st team.

Have to say last year I was full of optimism & confidence & thought we'd bring in 3/4 quality reinforcements & push on, not neccesarily a promotion push but up around the play offs.
    Now as somebody posted yesterday only Charlton can turn a record breaking season into doom & gloom.

The players we have signed are just padding out the squad, CP obviously wants new signings but the board (bank?) are not able to come up with the cash & I feel the impetus of last season has been lost.
    Anyone got the address of the Euro millions winners ?
  • Sponsored links:

• ps I still think we'll get a result at Brum but injuries & suspensions will take their toll over a long & difficult season ;-(
  • Agree bob.
  • Im only worried this season if the board are expecting miracles and a top 6 finish, if they are expecting a comfortable low mid table finish then with the current squad and a couple of prem loans we will be fine IMO.

• Not as concerned as I would have been had CP said he didn't want more business done. I would obviously be happier had it been done already but the fact he is aware and working to correct some deficincies in the squad is encouraging.
  • the way he is having to sign players who are no better than what we already have is not encouraging though (Dervite, Wilson etc)

Come on, you don't really believe that, do you ?

The squad put together last summer was simply the strongest squad we could put together with the budget available to get us out of the division. And it worked.

But to suggest we did our squad structuring for the coming season 12 months ago is silly.

We've not strengthened this summer for no reason other than up to this point the money is no longer there to.do so. Which is why we are so frantically trying to get our fourth.and five.choice strikers off the books to create a bit of wriggle room.

But I'm pretty sure the little changed starting eleven on Saturday will be a fair bit different to the one SCP would have had planned back in May.

Are you calling Mr Slater a liar?
    ;-)

• Bar the top 6 or so teams in the Champ, I think we are over estimating the rest's quality and squad depths. I don't believe we are in a bad place as is, but of course who wouldn't want another decent centre half, midfielder or striker? No doubt SCP wants more quality, but circumstances beyond his control are getting in the way for a bit and I'm just pleased that he has responded professionally and got on with it - still getting good results in our pre-season. Won't be reading much into Brum away come Saturday either - I think they will be top 6 and expectations are narrow defeat followed by home win.

;-)

And for the record,I do believe it to some extent.
    I really don't think the jump from league 1 to championship is that great.

If it was, there's no way the likes of Norwich and Southampton would've gone up in their first season.

• Remember we signed a group of players last summer that championship sides were interested in. I think we'll surprise a lot of people this season. We won't get promoted but we could sneak a play off place.
  • Sponsored links:

• From FRs

15 Aug 2012 14:21:13
    Dorian Dervite to sign for Charlton Today (Wednesday)

Danny Green to leave Charlton for Swindon along with Paul Hayes. £400k combined fee

Chris Solly staying at the Valley

Sam Baldock to Charlton from West Ham still not a done deal. Fee and wages agreed but Charlton need to sell to buy

Alfredo Garcia Mensah and Tom Mills on trial from Maidstone.

-------------

I bet that Alfredo Garcia is good with his head : - )

;-)

And for the record,I do believe it to some extent.
    I really don't think the jump from league 1 to championship is that great.

If it was, there's no way the likes of Norwich and Southampton would've gone up in their first season.

But both strengthened significantly. Norwich signed 7 players in the summer and 3 more in January. 5 of those ten were regulars. Lambert also shipped out some league one regulars such as Doc and Russell

Southampton signed fewer but got three players who all played regularly in their first team.

Powell is also on record as saying that Poyet regretted being too loyal to his promotion squad.

• edited August 2012
    Wasn't me, honest.

• Wasn't me, honest.

• @LargeAddick can I ask, I know you have mentioned about Baldock previously and saying that things were in place, but do you genuinely know something or just have a hunch?
  • Sage said:

@LargeAddick can I ask, I know you have mentioned about Baldock previously and saying that things were in place, but do you genuinely know something or just have a hunch?

He doesn't have a hunch just bad posture

• @cfgs Very good :-)
  • PH wasn't offered even half of what he is on now, so staying put until something better comes along. He doesn't mind taking a drop in wages to get regular football, but not that much!
  • I'm guessing he wants to stay down south. I'm also guessing he wont get a championship club. So the only place I can see him going at league 1 level on half decent wages might be colchester or Mk dons maybe
  • From FRs

15 Aug 2012 14:21:13
    Dorian Dervite to sign for Charlton Today (Wednesday)

Danny Green to leave Charlton for Swindon along with Paul Hayes. £400k combined fee

Chris Solly staying at the Valley

Sam Baldock to Charlton from West Ham still not a done deal. Fee and wages agreed but Charlton need to sell to buy

Alfredo Garcia Mensah and Tom Mills on trial from Maidstone.

-------------

I bet that Alfredo Garcia is good with his head : - )

Was that a double gag Henry? As in Peckinpah film and Mensa, or just one and if so which one?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!