Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• shirty5 said:

Nice to see everyone having a pop at each other once again. A lot of growing up is required by certain individuals who should know better!!

agreed, its not as if some on here want the best for the club and others don't. We are all Charlton fans who want the best, obviously opinions on this differ. But on every single thread there is someone having a pop at someone else. Its getting stupid now.
    Oh shut up ;0)

• I would sell him don't rate him at all

Spends to long on the ball and often gets closed down and has to turn back

Is not quick enough across the ground

Brings very little to the team IMO

Up until the injury either fake or true last season he was keeping everything ticking over since he returned he has not been as good

Would rather lose him than Hollands

Think lambert has rocks for brains if he thinks he is ready to step up

This
  • These next few days are going to be nail biting.
  • crazy season again. If the stephens rumour has legs i dont think solly will be going. Will be very surprised and worried if both of them go.
  • Bolton, can't see him going there at all.
  • He wouldnt go to bolton
  • Bolton? No chance of Solly going there.
  • sod off bolton!
  • Well, they may offer more than West Ham - but can't see Solly wanting to go to Bolton.
  • Sponsored links:

• You think Chris Solly has any say in the matter?
  • Yes, I would think he does. He is under contract and doesn't have to leave.
  • If the way we have played so far this season will continue I would rather Solly go than Stephens. Solly has been left exposed so although sound defensively we haven't seen anywhere near as much of his attacking threat as we saw last year, which is the reason he is worth the money being mentioned. If we could get £2m+ for Solly we could replace with an older head at right back who is not expected to get forward as much and either an extra body in central midfield or use the money to help sure-up the club's finances.

Stephens offers what our other midfielders do not, and that is composure, an eye for a pass and discipline. For me, he reminds me of Matt Holland, I would frequently sit there thinking that he has done NOTHING all game, but when watching him specifically you see that he is always looking for the ball and setting up plays. Not putting the final ball in but enabling the final ball to be played. I think it is that reason that he gets marked down, because unless you are watching him specifically he can appear annonymous. IMO he is our most important midfielder.
  • Chrispy51 said:

If the way we have played so far this season will continue I would rather Solly go than Stephens. Solly has been left exposed so although sound defensively we haven't seen anywhere near as much of his attacking threat as we saw last year, which is the reason he is worth the money being mentioned. If we could get £2m+ for Solly we could replace with an older head at right back who is not expected to get forward as much and either an extra body in central midfield or use the money to help sure-up the club's finances.

Stephens offers what our other midfielders do not, and that is composure, an eye for a pass and discipline. For me, he reminds me of Matt Holland, I would frequently sit there thinking that he has done NOTHING all game, but when watching him specifically you see that he is always looking for the ball and setting up plays. Not putting the final ball in but enabling the final ball to be played. I think it is that reason that he gets marked down, because unless you are watching him specifically he can appear annonymous. IMO he is our most important midfielder.

Surely if we're being "exposed defensively" we need to keep our best defenders? A slightly attacking midfielder would be the least of our worries.

• So now it's official that West Ham have made a bid, my take on it is that Charlton will have a valuation for Solly, the 2 clubs will play hardball for a couple of days before West Ham eventually meet our valuation. Unfortunately my gut feeling now is that Solly will be a West Ham player by Friday night. I just hope we get as much as we can for him!
  • Apparently they have bid 2 million and we want 3.
  • edited August 2012
    Richard Cawley now reporting - Villa have offerd £600,000 - we have demanded 1.4 M (Stephens)
  • 1.4m sounds about right.
  • I think 4.4 million for Solly and Stephens would be decent enough business.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, If Chrissy is given £3m of it to strengthen and the deals are done quickly.
  • J BLOCK said:

So this is how we rated him. What's the problem if he's replaced ?

Name Appearances Average Top Three MoM
    Chris Solly 44 7.39 20 10
    Yann Kermorgant 34 7.35 18 7
    Rhoys Wiggins 45 7.14 14 6
    Michael Morrison 45 7.13 12 3
    Matthew Taylor 38 7.02 6 1
    Danny Hollands 43 6.98 11 2
    Bradley Wright-Phillips 42 6.95 13 4
    Johnnie Jackson 35 6.90 5 2
    Ben Hamer 40 6.86 9 4
    Dale Stephens 29 6.648 3 1
    Danny Green 25 6.645 1 1

Not a fair reflection, he was injured for a long time
    So Stephens played 29 games & CL ranked him 10th out of 11, but that's not a fair reflection ? I'd have to respectfully disagree.
  • Bubble said:

Richard Cawley now reporting - Villa have offerd £600,000 - we have demanded 1.4 M (Stephens)

Not worth it, we paid 350k IIRC

• The next three days are going to be long now...
  • The other question is do we think if these 2 go Powell can bring in replacements within the next 72 hours ?

Would he know immediately .. "to replace Solly I'm going for XXXX, and to replace Stephens I'll put in a bid for XXXX"
  • SLP say initial bid from Villa for Dale Stephens was 600k. Sounds like #cafc demanding £1.4m.
  • West Ham News ‏@WHUFC_News
    West Ham's new bid for Chris Solly is in the region of £2.5m (via @WHU_insider) #whufc #cafc
  • I think 4.4 million for Solly and Stephens would be decent enough business.

No chance. Even with the silly prices some players go for I'm surprised at the size of the opening bid for Stephens. Our best hope is Bolton stay in the game for as long as possible to push the eventually price WHU will pay up BUT this leaves us with very little time to re-invest whatever (if any) is given back to Chris. I fear another Andy Reid situation coming on.
  • Bubble said:

Not worth it, we paid 350k IIRC

Oldham may have added a sell on clause
  • ask for 100,000,000 for the pair of them then take nearest offer
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!