Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What will it take? - Your views on renewing next season

edited March 2009 in General Charlton
Unsurprisingly, there is a lot of information coming in from various sources to indicate that many supporters will not be renewing their season tickets once the current campaign is over. Understandable though this is, it's exactly the wrong thing at a time when the Club needs everyone to help get us back on the road to recovery.

For those who do not plan to renew, or for those who are undecided .............. what will it take to persuade you?

Change of Manager? Cheaper ticket prices? Better team? Improved car park surface?

Let's start to understand the reasons so that we can pass these on to the Club - in the expectation that something can then be done about it.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Watching 11 players in red shirts giving 110% week in week out would help. I havnt had a season ticket now since 2006/7 and with young family now couldnt justify 4/500 notes for one, once the adamaddick JNR is 3 hope we will be able to get some, as i work during the week i only really get to spend time with him sat/sunday. If you could get half season tickets the missus may let me.I just dont see the need for season tickets as we will not be selling out its nice to be able to turn up at around 2ish and get a seat.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Be good if when answering this if you state what camp you're in (definate renew, unsure, definate won't), so to give a better gauge.
  • Options
    I'm unsure about next season. I've been going for over 20 years and used to get excited about the games. I used to wake up on a saturday morning looking forward to it. I have missed a few home games lately whereas in the past I would never miss any.

The problem is now, I feel like going is a chore which I don't enjoy. I expect to be disappointed, whereas in the past there was always optimism.

I love the club but it's just not exciting anymore.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2009
    There is no specific thing for me at the moment.

I'm shocked i'm in the unsure camp, and it does upset me a little. The price of the ticket doesnt overly bother me, the crapness of the games and the manager doesnt either.

I've just lot all of my enthusiasm for standing up for 90 minutes, listening to people moaning around me and not enjoying myself.

EDIT: What Screamer said.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I am unsure.

I have a baby on the way,

Athough I do have a nine year old who will need to feel special and have some Dad time

but then add that to the credit crunch, less income etc

It's not about what division we are in.

I also want to preserve my good seats but paying £600 or so just isn't an option for me.

Bearing all that in mind, altho a change of manager/cash injection/playing in the top league would be nice its not a deal breaker for me - I can see it being so for less comitted fans. For me its pretty much financial and free time based decision, the retainer scheme I mentioned on a different thread might persuade me (and more importantly the missus).

:)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm unsure but for non-football related reasons so to try and answer the question for me personally there is probably not a lot that can be done.

Having said that finances would be a definite consideration as would a team looking as if it gives a toss.
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited March 2009
    I am in the unsure camp. The game against Preston was the most bizzare and horrible experience I have had at a Charlton home game for quite a while. It was like a pre-season friendly, nice weather, no passion on the pitch and even the people that usually destroy my ears with negative comments were quite. It was the first time EVER that I wished I hadn't had gone to a Charlton home game. I hope I can get up for the remaining 4 home games and re-new my passion for next season, but I think I will pay on a match by match basis, trying to get to at least 20 home games but having the option to not go if a situation like Saturday is likely to raise it's ugly head again.
  • Options
    I am in the unsure camp at the moment because, as we no longer sell out I will always be able to get one on the day. So to answer your question - to persaude me to renew, the season ticket prices will need to be so low as to make me think that paying on the day would be a complete waste of money. On top of that I will not be attending every game (normally miss 4 or 5 for various reasons) and there are normally tickets knocking around for others.......

My decision will be based upon cost ...............
  • Options
    Unsure about what exactly? Have been there week in week out since i was five, why change a habit of a lifetime
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I will be the same as this season be at everygame i can get to without clashes in the diary.
    No ST for me though.
    And get rid of the f*cking fish
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think seeing as im unsure whether to buy a season ticket first one in 4 years - All I want is 100% never mind this more than 100% tosh as 100% is maximum effort (dont believe those bloody lucozade ads there is no such thing as 133% ;oP)

So I'll decide when i know that's what i'll get (that's never then) I am more likely to get one next season than i was last season!

;o)
  • Options
    I am in the unsure (but more towards a renew than not renew if that makes sense).

my son is going more than he has done before but is not really enjoying it, the fans around where I sit are generally irritating. That said I have probably managed to enjoy the vast majority of the games I have seen regardless of result.

What I would like to see is a committment to keep most of our current midfield together. I accept that ZZ will walk, but if we can have a central core built around shelvey, bailey and racon then I would be confident that all involved in the club are giving it a go next season. Would also want to see some form of striker come in that is vaguely able to shoot on target.

I would also expect a reduction in the price of my season ticket.

Not too worried about a change in manager. I am nowhere near qualified enough to say what makes the difference between a good manager and a bad one. I would however love an explanation as to our backroom staff's approach to fitness as by my reckoning we have led at half time in over a quarter of our games this season and managed to go on to win just 3 (losing the vast majority of them).
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    As someone who is semi-retired and has taken three holidays in warmer climes this winter (apart from the skiing hol, which was colder, obviously!) and missed a lot of games as a result , I need some convincing of the value of a S/T these days.

Even when I am here, the motivation is sometimes lacking (as on Sat v Preston).

I think the club needs to look at some more imaginative marketing ideas. In another thread, someone suggested a 'membership' rather than full S/T , which included a ticket for, say, 10 matches of one's choice over the course of a season.

Obvously there couldn't be a guarantee of the same seat each time with that kind of offer,but I could live with that. In fact, I'd buy two such tickets - one for me and one to be shared by my two adult sons, who due to work, families etc. can these days only get to half a dozen games a season each.

And before the club says that such a scheme would result in over-demand for attractive fixtures, and a half-empty stadium for the less-attractive ones - is there really any difference in div three?

In fact, I trust relegation will see an end to the concept of tier A,B and C matches when it comes to ticket pricing. All games next season should really be C !
  • Options
    I'm in for renewing ....
  • Options
    I have 4 season tickets for my family.

To me its all going to be about total spend based around how many overnight away trips I am likely to do.
    I would prefer to wait until:-

1) We know who is in League 1
    2) When the fixtures are out so I know the away games I would be interested in.

In the end I will probably renew but simply based on the fact I cant be arsed to get tickets on a match by match basis.

A few weeks ago I was in the definately renew and pro parky camp so I would say if someone liked me has changed my mind then as a Board I would expect the worst. And I dont think there is anything much they can do that will materially change that.
  • Options
    As long as I'm still breathing I'll be there and with a season ticket once more.

Might end up just me and 5,000 others again, but I'll be there.
  • Options
    I'm going to have to swap seats if the bloke/kid behind me don;t move. Every game he comes in late, clearly smashed, and just should at every player ''you're a f**ing MUG i could do better'' Which is fair enough on the occasion to someone like Youga, but when it's everytime a cafc player gets the ball it gets very annoying.

I'm sure there will be plenty of seats to choose from.
  • Options
    I won't be renewing - as 500 miles is just too far to travel every other week (or even once a month)in current circumstances, but I will give my commitment to spend the equivalent of my season ticket money with Charlton over the season - probably through hospitality or player sponsorship.

In fact I would be happy to commit this money in advance to the cllub if it helped with the financial stability.
    So here's an idea (OK, probably a silly one) - sort of a membership scheme, but goes a bit further:

The biggest issue for the club is that without the season ticket commitment from the fans, it is very difficult for them to plan the finances (or even pay the bills..) as there is no security of income. This is particulalry true once we are in Div 3 - only c £300K TV money, so the rest has to come from ticket revenue and commercial activity. We're facing a vicious circle, as fans don't want to commit and renew, which then leaves the club unable to plan and buy players, which leads to a crap team and fans relieved they didn't renew...and I dread to think where this might lead.

We need to get to a situation where fans find the team is successful, they are enjoying matches again and want to be going every week, and regret not having an S/T - ideally taking one up at some point in the season ready for the promotion push. But the club needs money for serious rebuilding to this level.

So could Charlton set up a scheme for those who are not renewing to still commit a certain amount of money to CAFC for the season? This "pot" could then be drawn down by the supporter to purchase home match tickets (including cup games), or shop merchandise or hospitality. There could be some kind of incentive to join which is low cost to the club eg signed giveaways. It would need to be carefully balanced to ensure it didn't detract from S/T renewals, but it could be a way to get at least some commitment from wavering fans. I appreciate there would be admin costs involved, but think it has to be worth some consideration?
  • Options
    throw in free Charlton TV membership - deffo...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]As long as I'm still breathing I'll be there and with a season ticket once more.

Might end up just me and 5,000 others again, but I'll be there.[/quote]

What KB said. We must be bloody mad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]throw in free Charlton TV membership - deffo...

They should be paying us to listen.
  • Options
    I love the constructive suggestions people like Weegie are coming up with. I hope someone at the club is reading this thread.
  • Options
    Or it it a case of people getting sick and tired of the way football ( in genral) has been heading for a while now?. Most of us will moan about the money players earn and how they dont give 100%. you here the same from every club up and down the country from the lower leagues up to the England team. People feel they have been muged with the rubbish that we have had to put up with and wonder if it is worth paying that much out for a season ticket. Most people have been saying that it feels like a choir going to watch us now days.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]Unsure about what exactly? Have been there week in week out since i was five, why change a habit of a lifetime[/quote]

Spot on....will always have a season ticket, feel like crap at the moment and just want to season to end. But I'll be full of the usual optimism come July/Aug...
  • Options
    I will without a doubt be renewing my season ticket and it will take nowt to change that even if Parky is still in charge,

as it has been said by GHE why the feck not too long has past since i did not have one and bar this season i have enjoyed every single season even the relegation and the mediocre season last year
  • Options
    It might be an idea to include Cup games as part of the Season Ticket.

It will only be 3 games max probably (one in each cup) and that only if we are drawn at home.

If the Club is prudent they won't base revenue forecasts on cup runs given our largely lamentable record over many seasons so the cost will be zero yet it might tip the balance to renew for a few waverers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]Unsure about what exactly? Have been there week in week out since i was five, why change a habit of a lifetime

Spot on....will always have a season ticket, feel like crap at the moment and just want to season to end. But I'll be full of the usual optimism come July/Aug...

Same as.

I will be renewing both my own and my son's tickets.
  • Options
    I'm renewing, no issues for me.

Going to be interesting to see the gates for the JPT early rounds
  • Options
    for the nth upper it should be pay 150 quid for every home game played including cup matches no more than that i am sure the gates will be bigger rather than charging £250+ and only getting few in
  • Options
    I think a lot of problem will come from the fact that historically now, where it comes to ticket prices, we have been spoilt.

Our tickets are already considerably cheaper than comparitives, so for all those stating it needs to be cheaper, i'm not really sure just how much cheaper it can go ?