Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian Tomlinson

DA9DA9
edited April 2009 in Not Sports Related
I am absolutely raging, just watched the video on Sky news of the police officer allegedly pushing him, whether this was the cause of of his death, or played a part in it is the main concern, but, what the hell did that baton weilding bully thing he was doing?
Mr Tomlinson walking past hands in pockets, not even interacting with them or the crowds, I am stunned, and saddened, I would be one very worried Met police officer, and I hope you get the full weight of the law thrown at you, you complete tosser.

RIP, and my thoughts go out family & friends.

Comments

• Options
    yeah, saw that earlier DA9, absolutely disgusting, hope they can track that copper down
  • Options
    That is exactly what I thought.

I want to be a police officer myself (got all the applications etc) Acts like that disgust me as you have said he is clearly just a thug.
  • Options
    Saw it last night. Absolute disgrace, I agree. Don't be surprised if the copper gets away with though.
  • Options
    Another view is why on earth would you dawdle along in front of a row of riot police who have had to deal with these crusty idiots all day, with your hands in your pockets, almost deliberately not moving when they are clearly moving everyone on? What is he doing there in the first place?

I agree that it was heavy handed and I'm not condoning it but one thing we all know from going to football is that if you don't want to get involved in trouble you stay well away from it. I managed to avoid those parts of the City quite successfully last week.
  • Options
    I highly suspect this will be swept under the carpet and no real action will be taken.

RIP.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Another view is why on earth would you dawdle along in front of a row of riot police who have had to deal with these crusty idiots all day, with your hands in your pockets, almost deliberately not moving when they are clearly moving everyone on? What is he doing there in the first place?

I agree that it was heavy handed and I'm not condoning it but one thing we all know from going to football is that if you don't want to get involved in trouble you stay well away from it. I managed to avoid those parts of the City quite successfully last week.[/quote]

He was there because he was walking home from his work - so is it the Polices policy to physically attack anyone who isn't walking at a fast enough pace inadvertently leading to their death ? I must have missed that.

RIP - I hope there's justice but as has been said I'm pretty sure the copper will get away with it.
  • Options
    That's not what I'm saying at all. As I said I don't condone it for one minute but I just question why you would wander through the middle of it all. Why not go a different route to avoid all the trouble? Just seems a bit stupid to me that's all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]That's not what I'm saying at all. As I said I don't condone it for one minute but I just question why you would wander through the middle of it all. Why not go a different route to avoid all the trouble? Just seems a bit stupid to me that's all.

Possibly because he'd had a few drinkypoo's before going home - Still we all agree Fully armoured up copper was in the wrong he could have taken the guy by the arm and walked him around the trouble or directed him around it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Another view is why on earth would you dawdle along in front of a row of riot police who have had to deal with these crusty idiots all day, with your hands in your pockets, almost deliberately not moving when they are clearly moving everyone on? What is he doing there in the first place?

I agree that it was heavy handed and I'm not condoning it but one thing we all know from going to football is that if you don't want to get involved in trouble you stay well away from it. I managed to avoid those parts of the City quite successfully last week.

Must admit that sums up my thoughts pretty well. Obviously not condoning it either but how does a guy who'd had a few drinks and was strolling home from work suddenly end up closer to a line of riot police than most of the people who spent all day protesting. My guess is we'll never know the full story here but i'd be very surprised if this guy hadn't said or done something to provoke the police although obviously the coppers actions are way too heavy handed.
    There'll be a cover up and there'll be no way of legalling proving he died as a result of the coppers attack.
  • Options
    Sick of hearing people say "but he wasnt walking fast enough"/"what was he doing there in the first place?", there is absolutely NO excuse for what that officer did - he had his back to him, hand in pockets, walking away. It was just mindless thug behaviour from the people we're supposed to entrust our safety to, but will anyone get brought to justice for it? Course they wont, give it a few months and it'll be forgotten. RIP, feel for his family as the media coverage cant be making things any easier for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any one remember Blair Peach?
  • Options
    saw the footage last night and again just now on the 1 o'clock news.

Absoluty disgusting. The famly shold push for a private prosecution if nothing happens formally. The guy was doing nothing apart from going about his business in a quite, unassuming way. The police have to reconise that even if they are caught up with riots etc that 99% of he pulic are law abiding and deserve to be treated as such.

I get annoyed a lot now at away games when we get kept behind and not allowed to leave at the end of a game. WBA last season in the cup and Swansea this season are just 2 that stick out - both times there was a (locked) gate manned by police & stewards keepingus from going home. I wonder where civil liberties are there then. I don'tknow of any other sport/pastime where people are not allowed to go home aterwards at the time of their choosing. Can you imagine a snooker tournamont where Steven Hendry fans are kept behind at the crucible to allow the Jimmy white fans to leave first, or a tennis match at Wimbledon keeping Andy Murrays fans locked in afterwards. Only in football.

( The WBA game especially stil rankles wih me as it was an evening match that went into extra time and pens and so we were late enough already. We were told it was for our own safety we were locked in so as to let their fans disperse..........if they are that bad why not keep THEM in and let us go, we have further to travel home. Stupid thing was that once we were let out we then passed a group of herberts at a bus stop further down the road, so we ended up meeting them anyway.)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]saw the footage last night and again just now on the 1 o'clock news.

Absoluty disgusting. The famly shold push for a private prosecution if nothing happens formally. The guy was doing nothing apart from going about his business in a quite, unassuming way. The police have to reconise that even if they are caught up with riots etc that 99% of he pulic are law abiding and deserve to be treated as such.

I get annoyed a lot now at away games when we get kept behind and not allowed to leave at the end of a game. WBA last season in the cup and Swansea this season are just 2 that stick out - both times there was a (locked) gate manned by police & stewards keepingus from going home. I wonder where civil liberties are there then. I don'tknow of any other sport/pastime where people are not allowed to go home aterwards at the time of their choosing. Can you imagine a snooker tournamont where Steven Hendry fans are kept behind at the crucible to allow the Jimmy white fans to leave first, or a tennis match at Wimbledon keeping Andy Murrays fans locked in afterwards. Only in football.

( The WBA game especially stil rankles wih me as it was an evening match that went into extra time and pens and so we were late enough already. We were told it was for our own safety we were locked in so as to let their fans disperse..........if they are that bad why not keep THEM in and let us go, we have further to travel home. Stupid thing was that once we were let out we then passed a group of herberts at a bus stop further down the road, so we ended up meeting them anyway.)

What a ridiculous analogy. When was the last time the Steven Hendry fans had a tear up with the Jimmy White fans? When did the Andy Murray fans last call it on with the Roger Federer massive?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]Any one remember Blair Peach?

It rings a bell, Remind me.

From the pre and post incident actions of the Police it does seem to have bee mindless. Whilst we may not think he should be htere,I am sure there are plenty of people on here who are bloody minded enough to say "I walk through here every day,I'll be damned if a bunch of unn washed lefties will stopme from walking down here today" and maybe he was the same.

There was anothr piece of footage that disturbed me when a guy came out of the crowd hands upin surrender,i think his head was bleeding,as he walked behind the police line he was just set upon and batoned, whatever he had done, if anything there was no resistence before hand not insulting behaviour, if he said anything ity did not look like it.

But we must not forget, there are thugs on the side of the protestors, the majority were not and there are thugs on the side of the police,the majority are not. the key is that the authorities act and are seen to act, no sacrificial lambs, just honesty and justice.
  • Options
    The only footage i can see has him with his back to the police and hands in his pockets, is there any footage of before that? How do we know what happened before he got the whack?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]Any one remember Blair Peach?

Yep, school teacher, about 79/80?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BrightonAddick[/cite]Sick of hearing people say "but he wasnt walking fast enough"/"what was he doing there in the first place?", there is absolutely NO excuse for what that officer did - he had his back to him, hand in pockets, walking away. It was just mindless thug behaviour from the people we're supposed to entrust our safety to, but will anyone get brought to justice for it? Course they wont, give it a few months and it'll be forgotten. RIP, feel for his family as the media coverage cant be making things any easier for them.

well said!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Another view is why on earth would you dawdle along in front of a row of riot police who have had to deal with these crusty idiots all day, with your hands in your pockets, almost deliberately not moving when they are clearly moving everyone on? What is he doing there in the first place?

I walked through that exact same passage about an hour before the incident and there were no protesters in that area at all. Plenty of police in riot gear but they weren't doing anything, just lined up and I didn't detect any chance of that changing. Looking at that footage, he appears to be walking away from the police line, when he's hit, cowardly, from behind.

There's also the issue of the police initially saying they were bombarded with bottles and missiles while giving first aid - the footage shows one bottle.
  • Options
    The way he walked home is irrelevant, it was bang in the middle of the square, mile, where thousands of other people were working, were they going to reroute everybody?, the guy was taking his normal route home from work, end of.

It was simple bullying by a hot headed numbskull, and my blood is boiling over this, us as football fans can all relate to the random bullying and pushing & shoving of innocent people by police officers.
  • Options
    tomlinson

Lot of comment on Millwall site
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]The only footage i can see has him with his back to the police and hands in his pockets, is there any footage of before that? How do we know what happened before he got the whack?

Exactly Chris. Until we know what happened in the run up to him getting pushed how can we be sure the police are to blame. IF he's been in their faces for 5 minutes previously and ignored several requests to move away and behave himself it's not really all that surprising that someones patience has run out and gave him a shove in the middle of a large scale disturbance like that is it?

For what it's worth he certainly didn't look like he was making much effort to get out of the way in the little footage we've seen.

Whatever happened, in the end a persons' lost their life and it's all very sad.
  • Options
    D
    I
    S
    G
    R
    A
    C
    E
    !
    !
    !
  • Options
    Was he a Millwall supporter or are they just angry (and looking for an excuse to riot)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Was he a Millwall supporter or are they just angry (and looking for an excuse to riot)

He was wearing a Millwall rain jacket/wind cheater type top at the time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]That's not what I'm saying at all. As I said I don't condone it for one minute but I just question why you would wander through the middle of it all. Why not go a different route to avoid all the trouble? Just seems a bit stupid to me that's all.

Totally agree with this, I would certainly take the long way round and add on 5-10 minutes to my walk home to avoid a load of coppers who have probably been dealing with a bunch of rowdy c**** all day, but it has to be said that what that twat did was unexcusable and should be done for it, but what can he be charged with, manslaughter?
  • Options
    We only see a very small clip, so before we hang the officer shall we see the full story.
    its all very sad that a person has lost his life, I hope the people that attend these protests to cause trouble are all very proud of themselves!!

RIP IT
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Another view is why on earth would you dawdle along in front of a row of riot police who have had to deal with these crusty idiots all day, with your hands in your pockets, almost deliberately not moving when they are clearly moving everyone on? What is he doing there in the first place?[/quote]

According to witness statements and photographs that have been passed on the investigators he had already been beaten with batons twice before the incident in the video, in one case pushed to the ground and batoned twice around the head. He was likely at the very least concussed (if not already dying) in the video, hence his sluggish and dazed walking and behaviour. We'll have to wait for the full investigation to find out the full story, but bear in mind the incident in the video was just part (and not the beginning) of what happened.

The worst thing about it all to me is the lying: The police initially saying that it was protestors throwing missiles who injured him. It's like how they initially said that Brazilian guy they shot dead was wearing a huge coat and leaping ticket barriers, when CCTV showed neither was true. The Police are like a bunch of schoolboys at times, making up lies (and backing each other up with more lies) to try to get out of trouble. Pathetic, really.
  • Options
    SE7SE7
    edited April 2009
    The Police are like a bunch of schoolboys at times, making up lies (and backing each other up with more lies) to try to get out of trouble. Pathetic, really.[/quote]

Reminds me of our government really ;)
  • Options
    why did the other officers not arrest the thug copper there and then? because they were to defend the undefendable bankers and their stolen billions.

the police (and returning soldiers) will not stay as resolute in their support for this doomed establishment and bankers forever, as they see the economy crumble yet further whilst the bankers still get richer.

individual officers will need to make their own minds up as to which side they are on soon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: numbnuts[/cite]The Police are like a bunch of schoolboys at times, making up lies (and backing each other up with more lies) to try to get out of trouble. Pathetic, really.

Really? I'll maybe one day agree but not at the moment in fact no time soon!

One Cnut does not a police force make!
    I am completeley confused by people who believe the whole police force is corrupt and "out to get them" That is not the case I can assure you.

I am currently going through the stages of becoming a volunteer police officer or Special Constable so i can help people. I get all of the authority of a standard officer and none of the pay - I'lll basically be more authorative than a PCSO but for 8 hrs every 2 weeks.

Does that sound like im out to get you. Didn't think so.