Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life Independent Travel - Derby (Apr 2009)

edited August 2021 in General Charlton
Another defeat, but another corker of a day out for the C.L.I.T.

Lovely pub about 5 miles outside of Derby, landlady, staff and locals were as friendly as could be. Great sing song onto the game. 90 minutes of pure gallows humour.

Many thanks for WIWLB for organising a great day. Not easy things to do, but the organisation was superb. We had a real mix of different ages on the coach, but everyone all got on great.

Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as me.

Special mention for the Derby police and stewards, in all my years of travelling they were the friendliest i've come across. Allowed you outside the back of the stand to drink, smoke, get the sun at half time. A game of cricket was had at half time with a police car as the wicket, and inflatable banana as a bat, and laughing coppers getting booed every time they didn't make a catch. Brilliant.

Comments

• Options
    I have some cracking pictures which i will link tomorrow including Shrek and Spongebob!! Spongebob was random - just walked into the ground on his own waving. One of the funniest things.

Loved that half time drink. Supervisor said we try to make your visit enjoyable and if that means going outside for a smoke then good. what a great idea - Charlton!

Once again great day out and thanks Dean.

Lots more of them next season please.
  • Options
    The stewards had obviously got their arsey-ness out of their system after they'd refused one of my lot entry and then had a row with the rest of us - resukting in none of us seeing a ball kicked.

Getting thrown off the train back at Leicester was another highlight of the day. Magic. A shit season encapsulated in one truly shit day.
  • Options
    It could have been worse surely if you had actually seen the game?

What was the reason for not letting him in and why did you get thrown off a train?
  • Options
    now that would be telling!

funny thing is i persuaded a bloke from work to come and it was him and his missus' first ever football match. they saw the game and none of us did!
  • Options
    Brief summory of yesterdays events though the eyes of Mrs T.C.E on my return last night........................
    You left here at 0715 to meet Badger at the The Bull for a lift to the coach pick up point, thanks that Badger. And on your arrival you went to the pub in Barnsley?? but you said Charlton were playing Derby! oh I see, you meant Derby. So in the pub with several Charlton fans, you decided to have a quick pint or two. Then please explain, why you have photo of a table full of "chips" on your phone! On your return you declined the offer of a curry, deciding to return home imediately rather than the small hours! which explains why a cab driver knocked on the door at 1245, asking is this your husband? Did you stop off at the pub after Badger dropped you off? after I got you passed the the front door, which was difficult enough because you insisted on talking to the "pot plants" you collapsed onto the sofa. So of I went to have a shower, returning after 15 minutes to find you had gone to bed, I then came downstairs to turn of the tv, every light downstairs was left on! But the highlight was still to come, when at 0830 this morning you crawled out of bed went to the window and screamed, feck off!! at the helicopters covering the "London marathon" slamming the window and returning to bed..................................................
    So I must have had a good day, thanks to all concerned for organizing the day and Glass Half Empty for the catering ;)
  • Options
    where did you go then after the coach?
  • Options
    Just want to add that it was a cracking day out thanks to WIWLB for sorting out great day, good drink, Cricket and pity 90 min of foootie got in the way lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]where did you go then after the coach?

I would guess the Bull on Shooters Hill.

Great story TCE haha

Great name too afka, CLIT, love it
  • Options
    but i was confused because why would he get a cab home from the bull as assumed TCE lives nearby... had you lost the use of your legs TCE?

We had a good few beers in the kings head in Bexley. Me and Ian left at 10.30 leaving AFKA and REDarmy to finish up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]where did you go then after the coach?

The Bull, to get a bottle of "Red wine" being a lady you'd understand, have you ever bought a bottle of wine from a pub? £20 he wanted! so I had a drink!! someone had called a cab but had left, so I used it! The pub to my house has got to be at least what?.................................500 yards...........................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thats brilliant - me and ian have been known to get a cab home from the Oak on occasion... which is about the 1000yds.
  • Options
    Lol nice one Ray, thats cracked me up lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]thats brilliant - me and ian have been known to get a cab home from the Oak on occasion... which is about the 1000yds.

Pay back time............Mrs T.C.E is now Hoovering...................WOW, them things are loud, bye.......................
  • Options
    Other worthy mentions:

The Derby fans for proving that perhaps the atmosphere at The Valley isn't too bad after all

The 'Kit Kat w***ers' who still my crisps and chocolate, but left the bleedin apple. How you can sleep at night with chocolate on your hands Doyley i'll never know

NSS's little boy going up and down the coach telling people 'you're not proper charlton'

The driver for being a good sport

palcafc and his boy for giving the stewards the runaround with the sillystream

Top 5 songs of the day:

5. 'We're all going on a third division tour'
    4. Que sera, whatever will be will be, we're going stockport county, que sera sera
    3. It could be worse, we could be you
    2. We used to be good, but now we're sh*t
    1. One striker went past Marky, went past Marky Hudson...
  • Options
    Cant miss out

The Championship is upside Down

Were Going up with Norwich and the wolves are going down!

Thanks to Curb it for being Betty Hutchins of yesteryear

WIWLB top day out

I would like to thank Luke Varney for proving me right

God you are fuking toilet

I have seen far too much of Ollies arse for my liking

and the pictures of poo were disgusting

Doyley i have decided to maintain my original position for arse wiping
  • Options
    Accusing me of doing that shit in the toilets when it wernt me
  • Options
    And how can we forget on the coach back 'Sheffield, Sheffield give us a wave'

Sheffield is past Derby you know
  • Options
    Sounds like a great old fashioned Charlton day out. Glad you all enjoyed it. You were loud and clear on the radio, although the female commentator said there were only 50 Charlton in the ground - how many were there really?
  • Options
    600 or so
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    619 i think,great day out,well done Dean
  • Options
    Felt like more than 600.
    I went up on the train, such a good day.

Really couldn't tell you how we played, was too busy avoiding inflatable paddling pools and silly string (literally everytime it was sprayed it went directly into my hair!)

Got a couple of short vids of conga and pitch invasion. That was ridiculous.
  • Options
    and plastic hammers and the large inflatable football.

the steward downstairs moaned about the beach ball. He said he would prefer it if we just used it up in our seats as the ball might knock over someones pint down on the concourse.
  • Options
    'Blow it up blow it up blow it up'
  • Options
    Thanks to Dean for a very good day out. Even the dire game and result didn't spoil it.

Good laugh on the coach and hi to all the Lifers I met for the first time.

The Yoof at the front of the bus had a good time too and were only disappointed by 1. the result and 2. The Derby pitch invasion meaning the players couldn't come over to clap us and maybe throw shirts etc.

Some good old songs.

My fav bit was the "You're wearing fake Stone Island" and "you got it from the market" aimed at one particular Rams fan.

All very silly in a very fun way. Just a good away day.

Nice ground, nice pub, some awful farts but otherwise a cracking day out.

Put me down for next year.
  • Options
    Thanks to Dean for organising the coach.

Thoroughly enjoyable day, great pub, bar staff and local fans, the 90 mins in the middle was a bit of a let down, but we're used to that, and I managed to stay awake throughout the curry in Old Bexley.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hi C, what time did you get home?
  • Options
    A repeat of this for Southampton next season?

Maybe Swindon and Huddesfield aswell?
  • Options
    TCE

A bit earlier than you by the sound of it. Went straight for curry and was home about 10-30.

Thanks for putting up with my coughing most of the day