Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holland Wants In

SE7SE7
edited April 2009 in General Charlton
http://www.skysports.com/story/01952811688_525659300.html

What do you reckon, is he still worth it, or is it time to finally let him go?

Sorry if the link doesn't work, its on SSN, it seems he wants a new contract.

Comments

• Options
    Well if we do let him go we'd be losing a versatile, genuine and dedicated player who loves this club. The fact that he's come out and said this says it all, Holland is Charlton. At this stage in his career he'd struggle to find a regular place in the Championship, realistically he'd probably end up in league 1 anyway.

Matt Holland seeks new contract
  • Options
    yep go for it i say
  • Options
    He'll be like ronaldo in div three!?
  • Options
    why not? we'll need his experience around the youngsters next season
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: bloodnut[/cite]He'll be like ronaldo in div three!?

Which one, the fat one with the gap teeth who allededly likes ladyboys or the pretty one who plays for Manure who may also like ladyboys for all I know :-)

I say sign him up, he's the reason my sons called Matthew!
  • Options
    The mancy one!?
  • Options
    I love Matty H - in a manly way, of course - and I know he is the ultimate professional and a fantastic example to our youngsters.

BUT, if he can't get a game in the most piss poor team in living memory then, seriously, what can he do for us now?

Coaching - all day.
    Playing - maybe.
    Wages - sorry Matt.
  • Options
    18 starts and 16 sub appearances this season, so a squad player at best and I would imagine that will continue in League 1. I would imagine that how often he was going to play would be more important to him than how much he is being paid at this stage of his career so I'm not sure wages are a stumbling block.
  • Options
    Yeah, right. I'd fuck off in my retirement years to do a harder job for a lot less dough when there's probably better on offer - wouldn't you?
  • Options
    Not if I was one year off retirement, the better offer involved me uprooting my family to the other side of the country, I already had a stack of cash in the bank and I enjoyed going into work each day.

It would also help if I wanted to persue a future career in the media and the board of the club I was at had the ex Chairman of both national TV broadcasters on it :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd sign up all those who want to stay & fight for this club.............obviusly though on much lower wages. It will then be his call.
  • Options
    Get rid of him, for too long we have been over run in midfield because of him, we should have got rid of him 3 years ago.
  • Options
    I'm not so sure. The fact that we're going down for the second time in 2 years, but very few of us would want him in the starting 11 next season shows something.

He doesn't make many mistakes, but he doesn't add a great deal either, without trying to sound too harsh. Yes he's a good influence, works hard, plays for the team, but it's not really enough if we want promotion. He's not really a ball winner, he's not creative, he can't take the ball forward, he doesn't score goals. In central midfield players need to offer more. He might even be more useful as a defender, even at right back, but then we can probably find cheaper defenders that will do a similar job.
  • Options
    If he's happy to settle for a reduced wage, his experience could be handy. Might depend on what managerial set-up we have, though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nickaspanner[/cite]Get rid of him, for too long we have been over run in midfield because of him, we should have got rid of him 3 years ago.

Nick's - a - spanner sums up my thoughts on that post.
  • Options
    If he's willing to take a massive pay cut. I think he will be a massive asset to a small squad. From the bench he can do a job anywhere in defence or midfield and he is a leader.
  • Options
    no thanks
  • Options
    Absolutely, and although he is getting towards the end of his playing carreer, I can't see him getting a huge amount of first team action at another championship club.

I am sure that he has ambitions of coaching one day and still harbours a desire to play as much first team football as his fitness allows, so Charlton would suit him well, keeping him motivated.

He has been a high earner for the last decade so hardly poor and I am sure that another season of Charlton, on a new reduced contract, will offset this by affording him the opportunity of mentoring players and developing his coaching credentials.

I hope something can be worked out.
  • Options
    I want him to stay. Thank you Matty. Lets hope you & the club can work something out.
  • Options
    Heart yes, head no.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think in that division he could still do a job and with all the changes over the last few years a little bit of continuity is not a bad thing. He can be a link to the better days.

Although it is understandable if he is given the proverbial golden clock
  • Options
    Keep him he has never EVER let us down unlike some of the other tossers thisseason

I wouldnt ever let him go keep him until his 86
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited April 2009
    Keep him, may not have the legs much more bu he can still control a midfield with his passing, his experience and undoubted dedication to the cause alone is worth at least a squad place, maybe not a 1st team choice.
  • Options
    Definitely worth a place in the squad if the club can reach the right deal re wages.
  • Options
    For 1 year only to do a specific job and on wages appropriate to our plight.

Be sub to cover the 8 position in defence and midfield. Only would be in starting XI if excessive injuries or suspensions kick in.

Financially and footballing wise it makes sense in a much reduced and more junior squad.
  • Options
    Depends on who we're shipping out...surely?
  • Options
    Yes,

Being realistic Bailey and Shelvey probably won't be here next season. Ambrose will be off, we'll be left with a midfield of Sam/Racon/Semedo/Spring. Holland could definitely still do a job in League One, and as he can now cover right back and central defence plus his experience as well I'd like him to stay.
  • Options
    Heart and Head say yes -

Matty and Powell for next season anyone?

they may be old but their desire to play and to win is second to none!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Heart and Head say yes -

Matty and Powell for next season anyone?

their desire to play and to win is second to none!

Exactly why we should keep him, one of very few in the current squad who will run through a brick wall for the club.
  • Options
    he might have to get a move to keep his tv options open not sure qustion of sport or itv would want a league one player... serious tho deffo squad player whilst he does his badges why not player coach or somthing if a new manager comes in hes gona want someone who knows how the club works and wasnt part of the pardew parky disaster coaching team, holland and powelly future charlton manager and assisstant..