Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holland Wants In

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]he might have to get a move to keep his tv options open not sure qustion of sport or itv would want a league one player... serious tho deffo squad player whilst he does his badges why not player coach or somthing if a new manager comes in hes gona want someone who knows how the club works and wasnt part of the pardew parky disaster coaching team, holland and powelly future charlton manager and assisstant..

BBC 5 Live have anyone to commentate as long as they are articulate or are somehow connected to the game. He has done a fair bit for them in the past and I would think he would still be in demand especially when they are covering Ipswich.
  • Options
    I say keep the man, a good squad player he will be. Lets us down seldom.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]If he's happy to settle for a reduced wage, his experience could be handy. Might depend on what managerial set-up we have, though.

As the Inspector says, surely it depends on the managerial set-up .... ?

A new manager will have his own ideas, and that might not include Matty.
    If Parkinsella stays, though ....... then I can see him being offered yet another 1 year contract.

Matty might be in his twilight years on the park, but he's an old head, calm and experienced, and extremely adaptable to many positions when called from the bench. So very useful to have around, even though he's unlikely to be a regular 1st choice.

But don't underestimate his influence behind the scenes ...... ask the younger players, they look up to him and he's very supportive - and a big influence generally in the dressing room. He's the senior pro around the club and has earned the respect that goes with it.

If he wants to stay, he'll accept another 1 year deal on terms to reflect his and our Third Division status.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I'm not so sure. The fact that we're going down for the second time in 2 years, but very few of us would want him in the starting 11 next season shows something.

He doesn't make many mistakes, but he doesn't add a great deal either, without trying to sound too harsh. Yes he's a good influence, works hard, plays for the team, but it's not really enough if we want promotion. He's not really a ball winner, he's not creative, he can't take the ball forward, he doesn't score goals. In central midfield players need to offer more. He might even be more useful as a defender, even at right back, but then we can probably find cheaper defenders that will do a similar job.

Totally agree. He adds little to the side and it would be a waste of limited funds to give him another contract.
  • Options
    No - we need a big freshen up of the squad and he's is not going to be a regular, so we shouldn't renew despite him being a nice guy, an experienced player, a big influence ... the experience and influence hasn't done us much good in the last three years anyway!

Any experience we do get in the squad is better coming from outside imho.
  • Options
    I'd sign him up in a player / coach capacity

Experience will be good for the kids in the squad and he can certainly provide backup in midfield and defence.

He will have to take a large pay cut though I suspect
  • Options
    The rose tinted views of Holland really are wearing very thin now. Lovely chap by all accounts and model pro but we bought him to boss central midfield which he's NEVER been able to do. With Holland as a first choice CM i'd back us to get relegated again, if he's not first choice then his wages will be counting against us keeping one of our youngsters like Arter, Basey or Wright. Thanks for your efforts Matt but it's time to move on.
  • Options
    not even as a coach - he's been here for three bad seasons, no more
  • Options
    He was here for a fair few good ones as well Salad.
  • Options
    I'm not casting blame, but I think we want to retain key players and youngesters where we can but otherwise we need to say goodbye where we can to those who have played in this season of failure - or more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In fact for the 3 bad seasons 06/07-07/08-08/09 he was here for 03/04, 04/05, 05/06 Where we finished in pretty good positions all 3 of those!
  • Options
    Heart - YES
    Head - YES
  • Options
    Agree with Swisdom totally.

Player coach and train him up to take over from Curbs in 3/4 years....

:-)
  • Options
    Curbs?
  • Options
    We should keep him, we are going to be short of centre halves next season :-)
  • Options
    as long as he'll fit into the new wage structure I'd give him another year. I know it's easy to say he'll be good around the place but with a number of youngsters around you need some old heads, especially one's that command respect. Involve him in the coaching too, whenever I've heard him on Radio 5 I've always been impressed with him and he'll make a top manager one day imo.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Geeing up the crowd and being a consumate passer of the ball backwards or sideways doesn't do it for me. He's one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in now. Get rid!

I also suspect that dressing room dissent is down to him, old pros vs youngsters.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Geeing up the crowd and being a consumate passer of the ball backwards or sideways doesn't do it for me. He's one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in now. Get rid!

I also suspect that dressing room dissent is down to him, old pros vs youngsters.

That last sentence is a pretty stupid thing to say imho. How can you possibly have any idea.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Geeing up the crowd and being a consumate passer of the ball backwards or sideways doesn't do it for me. He's one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in now. Get rid!

Last sentence is utter rubbish IMO. Matt Holland troublemaker.....I think maybe perhaps NO
  • Options
    keep him,need a war dog in midfield,gives hes all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keep him, show some of the others what being a pro is all about. Remember him up at Blackburn when it was all over for us in the premiership, most could barely walk past the halfway line to acknowledge us, he came right up to the goalmouth and walked from one corner flag to the other clapping the fans...he'll do a job on the pitch also when needed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]curbishley was here for 03/04, 04/05, 05/06 Where we finished in pretty good positions all 3 of those!

good point dazzler, totally agree ;-)
  • Options
    Absolutely, 100% no.
  • Options
    If our squad is so poor next season that Holland is good enough to start in even one game then we are heading straight for Division 2. Over the last two seasons whenever I heard he was starting my heart sank as I feared we would be overrun in midfield. And invariably my fears would be justified. Racon's performances over the past 10 or so games show how badly we have missed an effective holding midfield player.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If its in a player/coach capacity but mainly coach and only player in severe injury crisis then its a no brainer. I think he'll go on to be a great manager one day, I get the feeling he's slightly involved within the coachin at the club at present in a small capacity. This season I've noticed him helping out on pretty much all the warming up sessions before the match even one's where he was on the bench or playing.

But it depends on who his place would cost, ie i'd rather have wright and arter than have to release/sell them, if that meant losing matty then so be it. He's been a great pro at the club and has always given 100%.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]curbishley was here for 03/04, 04/05, 05/06 Where we finished in pretty good positions all 3 of those!

good point dazzler, totally agree ;-)

Oi you... but yeah I agree with that!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]

That last sentence is a pretty stupid thing to say imho. How can you possibly have any idea.

Shooters honestly....how on earth can you say that?....Matt Holland is if nothing else a true gent and diplomat...he wasn't club captain for nothing you know.....you'll not have a moments trouble with Matt both on or off the pitch and to suggest that he'd be involved in dressing room spats (other than to try to alleviate them ) is simply ludicrous!
  • Options
    It's shame only a few people can see how poor Matt Holland is. and one of the major reasons why we are in this mess. we are always over run in the middle when he plays he cant pass, shoot, tackle but because he has a big heart and claps for 10 minutes after the game after another defeat we should keep him. Dazzler is it those puppy dogs eyes he gives after another defeat that sways you to think he is a great player. As for having him and Powell next season why not get Hales, Peacock and even Bartram back whilst we at it. Its like you want us to go down again. As soon as Holland has gone we will move forward again. oh yeah it's funny how we were beating Blackpool 2-1 and Cardiff 2-0 and then on steps Super Matt........
  • Options
    Funny that you want to use those examples how about every other game that we were leading and ended up drawing where matty played no part how about them????
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nickaspanner[/cite]It's shame only a few people can see how poor Matt Holland is. and one of the major reasons why we are in this mess. we are always over run in the middle when he plays he cant pass, shoot, tackle but because he has a big heart and claps for 10 minutes after the game after another defeat we should keep him. Dazzler is it those puppy dogs eyes he gives after another defeat that sways you to think he is a great player. As for having him and Powell next season why not get Hales, Peacock and even Bartram back whilst we at it. Its like you want us to go down again. As soon as Holland has gone we will move forward again. oh yeah it's funny how we were beating Blackpool 2-1 and Cardiff 2-0 and then on steps Super Matt........

What a strange post!
    No body is calling him Super Matt other than you and that in order to be sarcastic...he's way past his best we ALL know that but very often players contribute to a club and the team in a thousand and one different ways....a team is not always about having the best eleven players out on the pitch at the same time...it's very often about having the best mix of characters.
    Were we to have stayed up I would have said it's time for him to move on...in the 1st division he may still have some influence....I simply can't be sure as indeed none of us can.