Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lloyd Sam to Newcastle

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
Newcastle are also targeting Charlton's Lloyd Sam, and lead the chase to sign the winger.

Charlton were relegated to League One but the 24-year-old's performances caught the eye of a number of clubs, including Crystal Palace, Reading and Leeds.

would be a shame really i rate him highly as a player and thought he may be with us next season

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/05/14/newcastle-target-wigan-centre-back-paul-scharner-115875-21356801/

Comments

• Options
    hahaha, this must be a wind up surely !!

I presume they only want him 'if' they go down.
  • Options
    blimey thats come out of left or should that be right field.. good offer would take it for sure...
  • Options
    i reckon he'll do a job in the prem...

NOT
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2009
    Show pony, take the money, he couldn't cross a divide (no matter how small)
  • Options
    The Mirror
  • Options
    hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa brilliant
  • Options
    Sam is an avergae Championship winger at best....

If they offer some good money for him we'll snap their hands off.
  • Options
    set up Bent a few times in the prem if i remember rightly
  • Options
    can't be worth much though surely
  • Options
    snatch their hands off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of the nicest people in our squad and a player that we missed when Soares was (insanely) given the right wing. I hope he gets his move and I look forward to seeing the Newcastle players on TV wearing his DJ t-shirts (although I noticed Cronaldo with one the other day then Kightly on Soccer AM, so I guess he doesn't need the publicity).

What is it with Charlton fans - we seem to divide our time 50/50 between demanding more players from the youth ranks are given their chance and slagging them off for not being Pele when they finally get a chance.
  • Options
    I'd like him to stay personally but any offer greater than £750k should be snapped up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I'd like him to stay personally but any offer greater than £750k should be snapped up
    i'd agree with that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]One of the nicest people in our squad and a player that we missed when Soares was (insanely) given the right wing. I hope he gets his move and I look forward to seeing the Newcastle players on TV wearing his DJ t-shirts (although I noticed Cronaldo with one the other day then Kightly on Soccer AM, so I guess he doesn't need the publicity).

What is it with Charlton fans - we seem to divide our time 50/50 between demanding more players from the youth ranks are given their chance and slagging them off for not being Pele when they finally get a chance.

Not saying he should be Pele, nice bloke or not, I dont rate him, all show, no substance, said it many a time on here, and after all, its only a personal opinion.
  • Options
    am i the only one who thinks he would do a great job in league 1 and once a bit older would be come a great champ player and possibly prem?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I assumed for while he would stay but the more I've thought about it, I can see mid table to relegated Prem clubs all considering him. He's got a good couple of years experience now and I think he'll start putting in some really good performances, whether that's for us or someone else. Wouldn't say he's a show pony, less tricks and harder working than Thomas. Pretty sure I saw he finished with the most assists, if he set chances up a bit more consistently and add a few goals he will be very important next season.

It's sometimes forgotten with Sam that even though he's 24 he's only played regularly for 2 seasons, he's really catching up with players of a similar age like Bailey who have quite a bit more experience of first team football, even if it was lower down the leagues.
  • Options
    Personally I like him to stay and be a major part of something special by getting us promoted, He has been apart of this club from centre of excellence and if he does go then we have no natural wingers on both flanks.

He has pace which most clubs want to boost in their squad, cant understand Newcastle's intrest Dowie trying to get his own back maybe, know he was born in Leeds but moved to London at young age and i believe he whould like to stay in London.

Shouldnt be intrested in Palace and Reading well no manager there to sign him atm.

But if the money is there straight up decent amount could be a nice move.
  • Options
    he has been at the club for so long now and still hasnt consistanlty performed. Jamal Campbell Ryce who was at the club at the time left to improve his game instead of settling for ressy football as Sam did, Jamal was instremental in Barnsleys surival apparently and his looking like haveing the makings of a good footballer, just shows the diference between those who really want it and those who arnt bothered...
  • Options
    Another point, some of you are moaning about him now, but we'll do very well to replace him with a better player for League One. Should be one of the best wingers in that league. From what I've read, a few people, not just on here, have said there is more football played in League One and less hoofball, players like Sam would only benefit from that.
  • Options
    he has been far too inconsistent for us, even when he looks good he doesn't get the ball in the box often enough - although he did against Norwich to be fair! I'd like to keep him and if he can keep getting the ball in the box next season he could possibly set up a striker for a hatful of goals, could be his opportunity at last to nail a place in the team - and if he performs consistently then get used to winning as well :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK joe[/cite]am i the only one who thinks he would do a great job in league 1 and once a bit older would be come a great champ player and possibly prem?

The only problem with that is we had lots of players who we thought would tear up the CCC when we got relegated from the Prem and this didn't happen, and i fear this could happen with Sam in League One due to the physicality of the league. That said if we can keep a few of the decent players, i think we'll do better than we faired after our last relegation. I like Sam but think any decent money should and will be taken (as long as he hasn't got a Hreidarson get out clause that is). I don't think he's Prem quality but knowing our luck he'll have more Prem assists than anyone next year if he goes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]One of the nicest people in our squad and a player that we missed when Soares was (insanely) given the right wing. I hope he gets his move and I look forward to seeing the Newcastle players on TV wearing his DJ t-shirts (although I noticed Cronaldo with one the other day then Kightly on Soccer AM, so I guess he doesn't need the publicity).

uote]

Have i missed something whats with the DJ shirts?
  • Options
    Right winger....been with the club for years....just coming good.....has a first name for a surname......going to Newcastle......

We've been here before haven't we and look how well he turned out!!
  • Options
    Can't beleive all the stick he is given. I think that he's done a great job for and we are the ones losing out if this story is true.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]he has been at the club for so long now and still hasnt consistanlty performed. Jamal Campbell Ryce who was at the club at the time left to improve his game instead of settling for ressy football as Sam did, Jamal was instremental in Barnsleys surival apparently and his looking like haveing the makings of a good footballer, just shows the diference between those who really want it and those who arnt bothered...

Can't agree with that, Campbell-Ryce is over a year older than Sam. In a way, Sam is 'lucky' enough for us to be relegated so he got his chance. Campbell-Ryce left when were safe and established in the Prem, he had little chance of breaking through. I really don't believe there is that much between them, at times if Sam had a bit more confidence he'd have better games, and Parkinson has started to get it out of him.

Look at the stats, if anything Sam has produced more-

Sam 0 goals 9 assists in 28 starts, 10 sub apps
    Campbell-Ryce 9 goals, 3 assists, 39 starts, 1 sub app

Here
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Another point, some of you are moaning about him now, but we'll do very well to replace him with a better player for League One. Should be one of the best wingers in that league. From what I've read, a few people, not just on here, have said there is more football played in League One and less hoofball, players like Sam would only benefit from that.

Two Leicester fans i met would totally disagree that more football is played in League One and told me that if we have players who have a bit of skill and who can handle a kick (and give one if needs must), we'll be alright. Sam i think probably falls into that category as he is pacy, can occasionally cross and doesn't strop anywhere near as much as JT, Romm or Bouazza.
  • Options
    All the criticism, honestly what do you think we'll replace him with?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]All the criticism, honestly what do you think we'll replace him with?

The one man army.

The colossus

The assist machine

The goalscoring - rip roaring

Darren Ambrose
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Right winger....been with the club for years....just coming good.....has a first name for a surname......going to Newcastle......

who's that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Right winger....been with the club for years....just coming good.....has a first name for a surname......going to Newcastle......

who's that?

Rob Lee