Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jorge Costa

Comments

• Options
    One of the best I’ve seen for us. What a career he had as well. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023

I agree - best CB I've seen play for us. Beast of a player.

It's hard to fathom how Curbs managed to get him.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Probably been mentioned, I've probably said it on here already - But god was he a bit slow, always made me laugh whenever he'd go up for a corner, and would literally be running through treacle to get back in Defence as fast as he possibly could.
  • Options
    As me and my family struggle with the decision of buying our season tickets for next season, I think how easy that decision would be if we just had one Jorge Costa. One player who gave everything in every single game. Best player i’ve ever seen in a Charlton shirt. He replaced Hales as my favourite ever Charlton player. Legend. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I believe he’d had a fall out with the then Porto manager, pre-Mourinho.
  • Options
    I loved watching Costa play for us and was lower north at the time. His antics winding up the oppo strikers without ever getting caught were genius. His defending was first class, as his 50 caps for Portugal proved. 

Would love to see him back at the Valley as a guest or part of the set up at some point in the future. A lot of fondness built between him and fans over that half season. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

He needed a club to get fit for Portugal international games
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Probably been mentioned, I've probably said it on here already - But god was he a bit slow, always made me laugh whenever he'd go up for a corner, and would literally be running through treacle to get back in Defence as fast as he possibly could.
    Literally?
    Literally!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes he was a bit on the slow side…..but he knew all the shortcuts and rarely if ever got caught out of position.
    Seen some great central defenders for us over the years but have to say he was the best I have seen…..Marvin Hinton and The Roof also get special mentions.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I loved watching Costa play for us and was lower north at the time. His antics winding up the oppo strikers without ever getting caught were genius. His defending was first class, as his 50 caps for Portugal proved. 

Would love to see him back at the Valley as a guest or part of the set up at some point in the future. A lot of fondness built between him and fans over that half season. 
    Also won the lot after he left us. Two league titles, UEFA Cup, Super Cup, Champion’s League. 
  • Options
    To be fair, it's not hard to win a league with only one team in it.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

And more than that - isn’t it a story in Curbs’ book that we picked him up from the airport and him and his agent in the car were discussing in Portuguese what offer he’d accept without realising the CAFC rep with them could understand? So the club put a deal on the table to match the chat. 
  • Options
    Top, top player, I can't  remember a better  CB playing for us.
    Comes across as a top bloke too.
  • Options

Hoping we can bring him back to play next season!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

And more than that - isn’t it a story in Curbs’ book that we picked him up from the airport and him and his agent in the car were discussing in Portuguese what offer he’d accept without realising the CAFC rep with them could understand? So the club put a deal on the table to match the chat. 
    Correct - it was Peter Varney driving them from the airport. He had worked in Lisbon (I think) previously and spoke fluent Portuguese.   
  • Options
    To be fair, it's not hard to win a league with only one team in it.
    Three teams, be fair...  ;):D  
  • Options
    Arguably the best player we have ever had.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Very arguably because I'd say there were at least half a dozen in the queue ahead of him. 

Great player but best ever.....sorry but No. 
  • Options
    A great player and one of my favourites of our premier league years. Always surprises me the affection he clearly has for us given it was only a short period he was at Charlton.
  • Options

Also won the lot after he left us. Two league titles, UEFA Cup, Super Cup, Champion’s League. 
    If only Jorge had stayed at Charlton. We would have won two League titles, UEFA Cup, Super Cup, Champions League.

And afterwards, Curbs would have left us to become England manager.  :)

• Options
    masicat said:
    As me and my family struggle with the decision of buying our season tickets for next season, I think how easy that decision would be if we just had one Jorge Costa. One player who gave everything in every single game. Best player i’ve ever seen in a Charlton shirt. He replaced Hales as my favourite ever Charlton player. Legend. 

We have plenty of players who give their all every game for us.  Dobson undoubtedly, Leaburn, even Albie Morgan can't be accused of not giving his best.  They just aren't as good.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Very arguably because I'd say there were at least half a dozen in the queue ahead of him. 

Great player but best ever.....sorry but No. 
    Best defender IMHO.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Erm George Dobson 

Also I think legend is very strong, he played 24 league games for us and being called a legend, undoubtedly a fantastic player a one of the best defenders we have had but not a legend 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Erm George Dobson 

Also I think legend is very strong, he played 24 league games for us and being called a legend, undoubtedly a fantastic player a one of the best defenders we have had but not a legend 
    Oh yes he was.
  • Options
    I still miss all the Young Fish Costa Fortune stickers being on every lamppost on the walk to the ground!
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Erm George Dobson 

Did you watch Charlton at the time? I only ask because, despite agreeing with you that “legend” is overused, it’s probably appropriate here. 

I actually think Hector is a League One Jorge Costa - a centre back that’s clearly a level or two above us that we’re realistically not going to be able to keep beyond his short term contract. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Remember him getting turned over by Walsall's Portuguese forward, Jorge Leitao, in the FA Cup defeat. That was a proper shock to his system...a lower league team coming along and busting a gut against superior opposition.