Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jorge Costa

124»

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    masicat said:
    As me and my family struggle with the decision of buying our season tickets for next season, I think how easy that decision would be if we just had one Jorge Costa. One player who gave everything in every single game. Best player i’ve ever seen in a Charlton shirt. He replaced Hales as my favourite ever Charlton player. Legend. 
    Erm George Dobson 

Also I think legend is very strong, he played 24 league games for us and being called a legend, undoubtedly a fantastic player a one of the best defenders we have had but not a legend 
    Did you watch Charlton at the time? I only ask because, despite agreeing with you that “legend” is overused, it’s probably appropriate here. 

I actually think Hector is a League One Jorge Costa - a centre back that’s clearly a level or two above us that we’re realistically not going to be able to keep beyond his short term contract. 
    Yes I did

I just dont think you can call someone who played 24 games a legend

Just my opinion 

Fantastic player-yes
    One of the best defenders-yes
    Cult hero-yes
    Legend-no
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    se9addick said:
    masicat said:
    As me and my family struggle with the decision of buying our season tickets for next season, I think how easy that decision would be if we just had one Jorge Costa. One player who gave everything in every single game. Best player i’ve ever seen in a Charlton shirt. He replaced Hales as my favourite ever Charlton player. Legend. 
    Erm George Dobson 

Also I think legend is very strong, he played 24 league games for us and being called a legend, undoubtedly a fantastic player a one of the best defenders we have had but not a legend 
    Did you watch Charlton at the time? I only ask because, despite agreeing with you that “legend” is overused, it’s probably appropriate here. 

I actually think Hector is a League One Jorge Costa - a centre back that’s clearly a level or two above us that we’re realistically not going to be able to keep beyond his short term contract. 
    Yes I did

Just my opinion 

Fantastic player-yes
    Cult hero-yes
    Legend-no
    Weren’t Hans Jepson and Allen Simonsen legends,  neither of whom played many games?
  • Options
    Brilliant player but some people seem to forget the mix ups he often had with Kiely.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    masicat said:
    Erm George Dobson 

Yes I did

Just my opinion 

Fantastic player-yes
    Cult hero-yes
    Legend-no
    Fair enough. 
  • Options
    To be fair, it's not hard to win a league with only one team in it.
    Three teams, be fair...  ;):D  
    No, literally only one. Punctuation pedant am I.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    masicat said:
    Erm George Dobson 

Legend status easily possible when playing at that level. Doesn’t have to play 500 games, just has to have an impact. The fact people talk about him the way they do after just 24 games shows what a bloody legend he was. King Arthur and Robin Hood were legends , but neither comes close to ‘The Tank’ in my book. 

George Dobson? Oh dear. 

• Options
    This can only be solved if we come up with a precise definition for the term “legend”. I’d definitely agree that it applies more to Costa than Dobson.
  • Options
    Legend? Has everyone forgotten Yann!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    This can only be solved if we come up with a precise definition for the term “legend”. I’d definitely agree that it applies more to Costa than Dobson.
    I wasn't implying Dobson was a legend 

I mentioned Dobsob when @masicat said if one player gave everything every game

Well Dobbo is that player, he leaves everything on the pitch every game.

But no he isn't a legend either.

Big difference between Legend and Cult Hero IMO

For me a Legend needs to have played minimum 60 league games(roughly 2 seasons, missing a few for injury/suspensions) to even be considered a legend, then you can start looking at impact they had, anything less than 60 games is Cult Hero status 
  • Options
    Shit. Get rid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Legend? Has everyone forgotten Yann!
    Who can forget Yanni!

• Options
    Costa was a good player for Charlton, a no nonsense defender, knew the dark arts of the game.

Loved how he used to push an attacker in the back when a ball was in the air, coming towards him, then hold his hands up, with a ‘ well it weren’t me, mate’ look at the ref.

I hear he’s done alright for himself in the coffee world.
  • Options
    I still miss all the Young Fish Costa Fortune stickers being on every lamppost on the walk to the ground!
    But inaccurate. I dont believe they ever played as a back 4 (Fortune left back ?) so in reality (if played in a back 5) it would be 

Young Fish Costa Fortune Powell.

Not quite the same ring to it. 
  • Options
    I still miss all the Young Fish Costa Fortune stickers being on every lamppost on the walk to the ground!
    But inaccurate. I dont believe they ever played as a back 4 (Fortune left back ?) so in reality (if played in a back 5) it would be 

Young Fish Costa Fortune Powell.

Not quite the same ring to it. 
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good slogan! I'm sure you could buy t-shirts with that on at the time.