Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yet another kid mauled by dog

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2014
    MrOneLung said:

mrbligh said:

MrOneLung said:

If you have got a child and a pit bull style dog, then it is pretty clear you do not love your child.

I have a 6 week old child and a rottweiler (not a pit bull type i know but still brings out the same hysteria in some people)...

do i not love my child?

Well if you want your child to live with an agressive dog breed then that is your perogative. Cant reconcile it myself.
    "Deed not the Breed"
    How can you comment on someone's dog that I assume you've never met?
    Two breeds of dog have bitten me with intent, a Yorkshire terrier and Bichion Frise.
    Aggressive breeds or not?
    If Mr Bligh said he had either of those breeds I suggest that comment wouldn't have been made. Ive attended training classes for most of the 4 years of Baileys life and one thing you notice straight away is the small numbers of smaller breeds of dog. Why is that? Our new puppy should be born this weekend, I'm qualified as a dog trainer. Should I attend classes? Of course I should as a large part of his training is learning he's a dog and not a human being.
    Let me mind read a little.
    German shepherds
    Dobermans
    Rottweilers
    "Bully" breeds
    Have I missed any of your aggressive breeds?

• Options
    I don't need to defend my choice of dog.

I'd imagine that most of the people with the most "extreme" views do not or have never owned dogs. It's fine that you don't understand about how they work, that is what T.C.E is here for.

Anyone that thinks all big dogs are killers is welcome to come and join me and big nev for a walk. I give it 6-7mins before you change your mind.

yes there are 'dangerous' dogs as THE OWNERS do not train them and teach them their role in life
    there are also 'dangerous' cars as THE DRIVERS do not drive them properly
    there are also 'dangerous' people as THEIR PARENTS have not brought them up properly

A rottie is not going to attack children because it is a rottie.

Saying that is literally like saying all cars kill people. Ridiculous
  • Options
    How about drawing a distinction between 'aggressive' and 'dangerous'? If a yorkie ever bit me, or my child, I could punt it across the street. A bit more difficult to do that with an American Pit Bull Terrier...

Like it as not (and I'm not a 'dog' person, but don't let that cloud my judgement on such matters) there are certain breeds of dog that are literally bred as attack or fighting dogs. Those breeds should be banned completely. I'm not talking about Rottweilers, Alsatians, Bulldogs or even Dobermanns here. All fine dogs, loyal and fantastic pets provided they are trained and looked after properly.

I'm talking about the pitbull type breeds. No-one has these dogs because they like the look of them. They have them because they are arseholes who want to look 'ard.
  • Options

How about drawing a distinction between 'aggressive' and 'dangerous'?

I'm talking about the pitbull type breeds. No-one has these dogs because they like the look of them. They have them because they are arseholes who want to look 'ard.

And more often than not it is this type of scum who strutt along the street without the beast on a lead.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

MrOneLung said:

mrbligh said:

MrOneLung said:

If you have got a child and a pit bull style dog, then it is pretty clear you do not love your child.

I have a 6 week old child and a rottweiler (not a pit bull type i know but still brings out the same hysteria in some people)...

do i not love my child?

Well if you want your child to live with an agressive dog breed then that is your perogative. Cant reconcile it myself.
    "Deed not the Breed"
    How can you comment on someone's dog that I assume you've never met?
    Two breeds of dog have bitten me with intent, a Yorkshire terrier and Bichion Frise.
    Aggressive breeds or not?
    If Mr Bligh said he had either of those breeds I suggest that comment wouldn't have been made. Ive attended training classes for most of the 4 years of Baileys life and one thing you notice straight away is the small numbers of smaller breeds of dog. Why is that? Our new puppy should be born this weekend, I'm qualified as a dog trainer. Should I attend classes? Of course I should as a large part of his training is learning he's a dog and a human being.
    Let me mind read a little.
    German shepherds
    Dobermans
    Rottweilers
    "Bully" breeds
    Have I missed any of your aggressive breeds?

Ok, I take back comment about breed of dog. I mean any dog. Unless a yorkie biting a baby is ok? Just don't think should be in house with a little child. More so if dog was there first.

I know you are a very responsible owner but any dog is capable of biting a child.
  • Options
    This discussion comes back to the site here regularly and this time in tragic circumstances. truth is any dog can turn at any time given the right circumstances and like some posters I am not a particularly a dog person but respect owners who care,train and make sure their dogs are under proper control. But like a number of posters here I cannot for the life of me understand why any normal person would want a dog that is bred to be aggresive and potentially dangerous I have heard a police dog handler say that for him American pitbulls should be in zoo's not on the streets as they are so dangerous.

Still my friends 6 month old granddaughter ended up in hospital after being attacked by the family cat so what can you do?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It has been confirmed by Lancashire Police that the dog was a banned breed under the Dangerous Dogs Act and so now they parents will be charged with Manslaughter instead of Child Neglect.
    It is very difficult to draw any positives from incidents like this but possibly it may lead some people to think twice about owning such animals. Time for a banned breed amnesty.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    <>

• Options
    It is always upsetting for the individuals concerned whenever anyone is bitten by a dog. But the title to this thread is seriously misleading.

I strongly believe these distressing incidents must be put into context. People need to understand that life is, inherently, dangerous - even if you aren't someone who tries hard to be a contestant in the Darwin Awards.

Take a look at the very interesting RoSPA web site - it has some thought-provoking stats and advice on how to avoid becoming one of those statistics.

So, according to RoSPA, window blind cords are much more dangerous than dogs with 14 deaths attributed since 2010. And in the home generally there are 5,000 deaths and 2.7mn accidents needing A&E treatment each year. This compares with around 3500 deaths and 200,000 injured on the roads each year. I'm seriously thinking about sleeping in the car tonight! Or maybe, I'll look into having the kitchen floor fitted with an airbag.
  • Options
    But cars and blind cords are usefull items, excepet for working dogs, dogs are not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the dog breed is banned, there is no 'context' behind it.
  • Options
    I'll never understand wanting to live with a dog or cat.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-26242506

Is it happening more often, or is it just more reported now?
  • Options
    Probably a bit of both.
  • Options
    6 days old and they've allowed a dog near it. Incredible.
  • Options

I will have a new edition in a matter of weeks and I will be all over the reactions of lola to our new edition and be watching her like a hawk