Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yet another kid mauled by dog

Comments

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Yes and I wouldn't leave Mickey alone with a child. As lovely as he is, he's got a few little issues still.

To lighten the mood a little, he has been a good guard dog, or so i thought, until I had a friend staying last week. Mickey hadn't met her yet and she let herself in last Friday night about 11pm. I didnt hear her but I turned round to to see her walk through the kitchen and Mickey stood up to bark but he took one look at her and sidled across the floor to her with his head down for a stroke.

He then went back to his basket where he laid on his back with his legs up in the air and waited for her to come and tickle his tum. The reason im boring you all with this is that my friend is a very very attractive woman... Mickey is such a flipping bloke!!

Where did he learn that one :-) ?
  • Options
    I walked past your front door on Tuesday, the first time I've walked that way since he's been here. He stopped and looked in your front gate. Literally stopped and stared for about 10 seconds. Was very funny.

Since he's had his bits off he's turned into a bit of a nightmare walking and barks at any dog that goes past so we keep crossing over. Or person with a hat. Its a bit embarrassing when he goes up on his back legs at a dog that's triple the size of him. Ill email you separately.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Yes and I wouldn't leave Mickey alone with a child. As lovely as he is, he's got a few little issues still.

To lighten the mood a little, he has been a good guard dog, or so i thought, until I had a friend staying last week. Mickey hadn't met her yet and she let herself in last Friday night about 11pm. I didnt hear her but I turned round to to see her walk through the kitchen and Mickey stood up to bark but he took one look at her and sidled across the floor to her with his head down for a stroke.

He then went back to his basket where he laid on his back with his legs up in the air and waited for her to come and tickle his tum. The reason im boring you all with this is that my friend is a very very attractive woman... Mickey is such a flipping bloke!!

I have tried that laying on my back with my legs in the air....... Still never managed to get a very very attractive woman to tickle my tum though!!!! ...... Not even a very average looking one.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

I walked past your front door on Tuesday, the first time I've walked that way since he's been here. He stopped and looked in your front gate. Literally stopped and stared for about 10 seconds. Was very funny.

Since he's had his bits off he's turned into a bit of a nightmare walking and barks at any dog that goes past so we keep crossing over. Or person with a hat. Its a bit embarrassing when he goes up on his back legs at a dog that's triple the size of him. Ill email you separately.

All dogs make them selves look bigger when they feel threatened, Mickey just has a bit further to go make himself look bigger. ;)

• Options
    Any pics of your mate ?
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I think you maybe someone that I contacted about dog issues. Apologys if I am wrong, but that offer still stands if thats the case.
    As an aside to that, as someone that has strong opinions on dogs and their control. I would be interested in your opinions on the threads concerning Bailey meets the Upbeats and more recently his visit Jon's (3blokesfromfblock) school.
    Too add, while you are entitled to comment on what ever thread you choose, I wondered what your you views are on what I would class a positve thread on dogs and their behaviour.

It was me TCE. Thankfully a lady at his school with a German Shepherd the size of a horse, and as docile as a tortoise, has offered to help him, and he is now, strangely enough, only scared of little dogs.

I have no real desire to have all dogs put down incidentally, I just see it as the only full proof way of preventing these type of attacks happening in the future. I am happy, however, to stand back and offer no objections, personally, if that is the course of action that is chosen.

I made the point that I'm not a dog lover (or hater, actually) so as to clarify that I have less tolerance for them, in the face of bad things happening, than I do football matches where equally bad things happen. I don't want to close all football stadia to prevent fans being slapped - or worse. I would not want to have a world without cars so I am opposed to getting rid of them, even though I fully appreciate that it would immediately save lives. Equally if we all lived in single story dwellings there would be far fewer (well, none, actually) deaths from people falling down stairs. We could remove all sharp knives from the world and then there would be fewer domestic accidents. None of these facts, in my view, justify tolerating animals (and not just dogs) from killing, or just frightening, children.

I find the (and this isn't aimed at you TCE) justification for dangerous things being tolerated on the basis that people die in car accidents etc. completely irrelevant. If one is not careful that line ends up suggesting that having drunk teenagers, high on alcohol and crystal meth driving at top speeds in residential areas, while hanging out the window firing a machine gun, is ok. I mean we all know of a child that was killed by a careful driver who was under the speed limit.

The thing with dogs is that it is, in my view, never an accident when a dog attacks someone. It can be a mistake by the owner, but it is not like slipping on the top step and falling to the bottom and breaking bones. For that reason I think dog ownership needs closer scrutiny, and if necessary some people (maybe everyone) should be told they can't have one.

TCE, I've not see any of the threads about Bailey that you mention, as I say I'm not normally likely to look at things about dogs, but I will have a read of them, when I have ten minutes, and I will share my thoughts with you.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Shag said:

Any pics of your mate ?

Yes plenty!

Im having visuals Uncle!

• Options

T.C.E said:

I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I think you maybe someone that I contacted about dog issues. Apologys if I am wrong, but that offer still stands if thats the case.
    As an aside to that, as someone that has strong opinions on dogs and their control. I would be interested in your opinions on the threads concerning Bailey meets the Upbeats and more recently his visit Jon's (3blokesfromfblock) school.
    Too add, while you are entitled to comment on what ever thread you choose, I wondered what your you views are on what I would class a positve thread on dogs and their behaviour.

It was me TCE. Thankfully a lady at his school with a German Shepherd the size of a horse, and as docile as a tortoise, has offered to help him, and he is now, strangely enough, only scared of little dogs.

I have no real desire to have all dogs put down incidentally, I just see it as the only full proof way of preventing these type of attacks happening in the future. I am happy, however, to stand back and offer no objections, personally, if that is the course of action that is chosen.

I made the point that I'm not a dog lover (or hater, actually) so as to clarify that I have less tolerance for them, in the face of bad things happening, than I do football matches where equally bad things happen. I don't want to close all football stadia to prevent fans being slapped - or worse. I would not want to have a world without cars so I am opposed to getting rid of them, even though I fully appreciate that it would immediately save lives. Equally if we all lived in single story dwellings there would be far fewer (well, none, actually) deaths from people falling down stairs. We could remove all sharp knives from the world and then there would be fewer domestic accidents. None of these facts, in my view, justify tolerating animals (and not just dogs) from killing, or just frightening, children.

I find the (and this isn't aimed at you TCE) justification for dangerous things being tolerated on the basis that people die in car accidents etc. completely irrelevant. If one is not careful that line ends up suggesting that having drunk teenagers, high on alcohol and crystal meth driving at top speeds in residential areas, while hanging out the window firing a machine gun, is ok. I mean we all know of a child that was killed by a careful driver who was under the speed limit.

The thing with dogs is that it is, in my view, never an accident when a dog attacks someone. It can be a mistake by the owner, but it is not like slipping on the top step and falling to the bottom and breaking bones. For that reason I think dog ownership needs closer scrutiny, and if necessary some people (maybe everyone) should be told they can't have one.

TCE, I've not see any of the threads about Bailey that you mention, as I say I'm not normally likely to look at things about dogs, but I will have a read of them, when I have ten minutes, and I will share my thoughts with you.

I feel passionate about what I do with my dogs and will defend what I do as hate being catagorised with bad owners because it have a dogs, be it leaving cr@p on the pavement, persistant barking or biting,
    I havent commented on the recent tragedy because I know nothing about it other than the press!!

oh, and you'll need more then 10 minutes.. ;)

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Shag said:

Any pics of your mate ?

Yes plenty!

Im having visuals Uncle!

Well try to hide your excitement!
  • Options
    Shag said:

Any pics of your mate ?

I knew you would ask this ;-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Shag said:

Any pics of your mate ?

Yes plenty!

Im having visuals Uncle!

It's not Heather is it? Mmmmm
  • Options
    No tho she's lovely looking too.

You know her pub has rooms now? Beautiful they are. Anyway sorry we are going completely off topic here!
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

PL54 said:

Didn't NLA say on a previous post that he had a Staff that kept biting people ? Assuming NLA offered the animal an environment of care etc why would the animal do this ?

It is in their genes. If anyone seriously thinks their little pooch is totally harmless then I would say they are wrong. Owners can certainly bring out the worst in a dog as it is their natural instinct. They can try to bring out the best in a dog but they can not surpress DNA and that will overcome.

Biting to a dog is about as natural as us punching someone. They do it in play, frustration, defence, because unlike us they dont have hands.

Stopping a dog biting should start as a puppy, watch a puppy playing with their siblings evolves play biting it is trained out of them, that is not acceptable behaviour in our world. Do nothing and it while worsen, it is certainly possible although nothing is 100%
    You say its in their genes, Bailey obviously a German Shepherd Dog.
    The clue would be in the name, he's a Sheep dog. With Shep's they are also a loyal and intelligent breed who will with their lives defend their family. Bailey will defend me as owner, but its for me to tell when I need defending. Using that the wrong way, would be very wrong of me, thats not to say I havent when feeling threatened whispered a command to him that removed a threat.
    Suppressing the DNA in dogs, is why there are the good breeders out there. Unsurprisingly Bailey was bred for temperament. Breeders are looking as well as testing for health issues, temperament etc before putting dogs together, not just chucked in the kitchen for a quick bunk up ;)

DNA manipulation is a different debate. I think I heard or read something that King Charles spaniels are engineered to have small skulls as it looks pretty (how nice) but their brains don't know that so they become too big for the cavity and the dog dies.
  • Options
    Anyone know anything about Huskies? I've always wanted to get one, but have heard they are a lot of work (which is fine) and potentially quite dangerous...
  • Options
    Why do people keep saying things like "it's time to blame the owners" or "hold the owners accountable"? Of course that should be done but is that going to bring the victims back or reverse the phobias that people have developed as a result of attacks? No. For every person who you ban from owning one, a new one will be born whom society will have no reason to suspect until their dog attacks/kills. You can't stop people owning dogs anymore that you can stop scumbag families breeding. Therefore it's the dog that has to go.
  • Options
    Ja I have some understanding of what you say but flip it on its head

Do we get rid of all man kind because we have murderers rapists nonces within society

No we don't so you can not advocate killing all dogs just because you have shite owners and you have a number of rogue (genetically imbalanced ) dogs I do believe that in every breed of animal and include humans in this you get some that are born bad and those animals including humans should cease to exist

But to ensure that the only thing to do is to kill everything and everyone based on what you would do to dogs
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Why do people keep saying things like "it's time to blame the owners" or "hold the owners accountable"? Of course that should be done but is that going to bring the victims back or reverse the phobias that people have developed as a result of attacks? No. For every person who you ban from owning one, a new one will be born whom society will have no reason to suspect until their dog attacks/kills. You can't stop people owning dogs anymore that you can stop scumbag families breeding. Therefore it's the dog that has to go.

What have no more dog's?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    No, just the vicious/killer ones.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

No tho she's lovely looking too.

You know her pub has rooms now? Beautiful they are. Anyway sorry we are going completely off topic here!

Where is the pub? If tickled tums is part of room service i'm booking up.

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

But they don't walk amongst us with signs saying I kill

So what breeds then ??

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    No thats another friend who has the pub. No tickled tums there!

Now back to the serious stuff!
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Back to the same old argument then! Every dog is capable of being vicious.....
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

No thats another friend who has the pub. No tickled tums there!

Now back to the serious stuff!

Hahaha ok

• Options
    What even a poodle?
  • Options
    uncle said:

JaShea99 said:

What have no more dog's?

You can't do that. Remember Planet of The Apes......
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

What even a poodle?

Too bloody right. My nan had one that bascially had the run of the house and did whatever it liked. When they came to live with my parents it had to abide by rules for once, one being not sitting on the sofa. Little bugger bit me when I tried to shoo it off. Didn't do any damage as such but would have done had I been a kid.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

What even a poodle?

Would you want a poodle to snap at a babies face? Yeah even poodles. Or are you suggesting that only poodles be allowed? Be fun watching the police control a load of football hooligans with poodles. Maybe even going poodle racing and watch them chasing the hare.... Not really thought that out have you?

• Options
    I remember when I worked in a magistrates court and there was a dangerous dog case - Daisy, a border collie I think, it was definitely a breed that you wouldn't expect to be dangerous, proving uncle's point. The dog had attacked and bitten a couple of people and we knew that it would be destroyed if the case went against the owners, which sadly it did.

It was heartbreaking seeing the owners after the verdict was announced. However I did mock up a picture in the office of the dog being hanged to wind up some of my distraught colleagues - literally gallows humour.

ps I love all animals, including dogs.
  • Options
    uncle said:

JaShea99 said:

What even a poodle?

Would you want a poodle to snap at a babies face? Yeah even poodles. Or are you suggesting that only poodles be allowed? Be fun watching the police control a load of football hooligans with poodles. Maybe even going poodle racing and watch them chasing the hare.... Not really thought that out have you?

Not really thought what one out? You said all dogs can be vicious so not being an expert in the field, I asked 'even a poodle?'. A simple 'yes' would have sufficed.

Get rid of them all then.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

uncle said:

JaShea99 said:

What even a poodle?

Not really thought what one out? You said all dogs can be vicious so not being an expert in the field, I asked 'even a poodle?'. A simple 'yes' would have sufficed.

Get rid of them all then.
    Guide dogs, Police dogs, Hearing dogs, Military dogs, Rescue dogs, Working sheep dogs?