Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yet another kid mauled by dog

Comments

• Options
    I am a dog lover...I have 3...2 border collies and a cocker spaniel. Dogs have personality, which is why I prefer them over cats. However, I would never fully trust a dog - not even my own. I believe that a dog is a pack animal and the owner should be the leader - and hence be in charge of discipline.

The Dog Whisperer says....discipline, exercise and love in that order...might try that out with the Mrs!
  • Options
    On radio two witb jeremy vine today there was a guy who stated he would leave his staffie alone with his 5 week old son in the living room whilst he made tea in the kitchen

This did shock me as i dont think i could ever trust a dog with a baby alone not even for a short period like 30 seconds

I think that much trust in an animal is just as dangerous

• Options

I am a dog lover...I have 3...2 border collies and a cocker spaniel. Dogs have personality, which is why I prefer them over cats. However, I would never fully trust a dog - not even my own. I believe that a dog is a pack animal and the owner should be the leader - and hence be in charge of discipline.

The Dog Whisperer says....discipline, exercise and love in that order...might try that out with the Mrs!

I tried it with my Mrs... I gave the discipline, she wouldn't do the excercise, so she never got my love.
  • Options
    uncle said:

I tried it with my ex Mrs... I gave the discipline, she wouldn't do the excercise, so she never got my love.
  • Options

On radio two witb jeremy vine today there was a guy who stated he would leave his staffie alone with his 5 week old son in the living room whilst he made tea in the kitchen

This did shock me as i dont think i could ever trust a dog with a baby alone not even for a short period like 30 seconds

I think that much trust in an animal is just as dangerous

Thats bloody silly, I wouldn't leave a cat in a room with a baby. No animal unless caged should be left in the same room as a baby. To be honest, I never left my 5 week old baby when I went to make tea, I took her/him in the kitchen with me.

• Options
    uncle said:

Not a dog lover. Used to get chased regularly as a kid by the lurcher that the dossers hanging round Deptford kept. However, its a bit rich to suggest that they should all be destroyed. Friends of mine have owned dogs that I've got to know over time - seems to me that larger dogs and mongrels have always appeared friendlier and more even tempered than the annoying little fuckers like yorkies. One of my best friends growing up had a staff - she was a lovely dog.

Can I put up a vote here for muzzling though? Simple fact of the matter is that if a dog is muzzled, its not going to rip you to bits, no matter how big it is. So how can anybody have any objection to this? You want to keep a dog, you muzzle it - simple.

I agree with this, but unless you do 24 hour muzzling it wouldn't have saved that girl because she was attacked in the house. Also once again who would police it? Our officers are far to busy catching motorist for speeding to look for unmuzzled dogs, And we all know the only people who wont muzzle their dogs are the ones that need to.
    You're quite right, of course - it wouldn't have saved her. And I definitely take the point about it being the muppets who wouldn't muzzle their dogs being the ones likely to own dogs we need protecting from. However - if there were a law with stiff penalties for abuse (cash fines in the thousands, instant dog confiscation for those who won't pay etc), and people around to enforce it, it could work. Of course, there's always the arsehole factor to consider - which, in this country, gets bigger by the day it seems.
  • Options
    That is the biggest problem we have cut back on so much and given the police so much more to do than police

That the enforcement side of it that would be needed is non existant
  • Options

uncle said:

Not a dog lover. Used to get chased regularly as a kid by the lurcher that the dossers hanging round Deptford kept. However, its a bit rich to suggest that they should all be destroyed. Friends of mine have owned dogs that I've got to know over time - seems to me that larger dogs and mongrels have always appeared friendlier and more even tempered than the annoying little fuckers like yorkies. One of my best friends growing up had a staff - she was a lovely dog.

Can I put up a vote here for muzzling though? Simple fact of the matter is that if a dog is muzzled, its not going to rip you to bits, no matter how big it is. So how can anybody have any objection to this? You want to keep a dog, you muzzle it - simple.

I agree with this, but unless you do 24 hour muzzling it wouldn't have saved that girl because she was attacked in the house. Also once again who would police it? Our officers are far to busy catching motorist for speeding to look for unmuzzled dogs, And we all know the only people who wont muzzle their dogs are the ones that need to.
    You're quite right, of course - it wouldn't have saved her. And I definitely take the point about it being the muppets who wouldn't muzzle their dogs being the ones likely to own dogs we need protecting from. However - if there were a law with stiff penalties for abuse (cash fines in the thousands, instant dog confiscation for those who won't pay etc), and people around to enforce it, it could work. Of course, there's always the arsehole factor to consider - which, in this country, gets bigger by the day it seems.
    I would love to see something like that working in this country but as you say the arsehole factor is huge, they would see all the muzzled dogs as easy prey for their dogs to attack and video for the internet.
  • Options
    Whatever it is, be it dogs or humans the arsehole factor tramples over reason
  • Options
    Policing of any regulations that are implemented could easily work if the licence fee was sufficient to fund wardens. If that means the licence fee is several hundred pounds a year then so be it. I am a dog owner and although I don't want to pay it I most certainly would if it kept me, my loved ones, my dog, and society in general safer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Policing of any regulations that are implemented could easily work if the licence fee was sufficient to fund wardens. If that means the licence fee is several hundred pounds a year then so be it. I am a dog owner and although I don't want to pay it I most certainly would if it kept me, my loved ones, my dog, and society in general safer.

I would happily pay it too. My fear is the councils/government would just see this as extra revenue and hardly any of the money would go on policing it.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Give the responsibility to local authorities to licence the dogs. Employ dog wardens and make the licence fee enough to make the policing self funding. Any fines to go into the local authority coffers. That will make the system keen and effective
  • Options

Give the responsibility to local authorities to licence the dogs. Employ dog wardens and make the licence fee enough to make the policing self funding. Any fines to go into the local authority coffers. That will make the system keen and effective

Good point, I would happily pay several hundred pounds if it meant only responsible owners had dogs.

• Options
    Make it open to private companies where profits and targets are important then maybe the fines and offences will be taken seriously but make it accountable to local government and council to ensure it is managed fairly and appropriately
  • Options

Make it open to private companies where profits and targets are important then maybe the fines and offences will be taken seriously but make it accountable to local government and council to ensure it is managed fairly and appropriately

It's coming together isn't it .

• Options
    I wouldnt mind paying for wardens and better policing of dog owners. We have a working dog (guide dog / assistance dog) and life would be difficult for my gf without it.
  • Options
    Slightly old news, but I see in the paper this morning that a "docile" Jack Russell bit an 8 day old infant on the head as the baby lay in his cot. He died.

The parents said "there have never been any issues with the dogs and young children".

Well there has now.

• Options
    Just goes to show that no dog can ever be trusted with a child And that as parents you need to ensure they are never alone together like that

• Options
    Always "no issues until now".
  • Options
    "He's not that sort of dog"

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When will the government have the bollox to actually do something meaningful about this.
  • Options
    I read about a Lurcher attacking a child last week but couldn't find a link
  • Options

When will the government have the bollox to actually do something meaningful about this.

but gay marriage is much more important..
  • Options

Genuine question...what is something meaningful?

• Options

Bring back a self funding dog licence with wardens with power to confiscate dogs and fine owners on the spot. Make it law that all dogs should be kept on a lead in a public place. Have a genuine purge on dangerous breeds with huge fines and imprisonment for owning a dangerous breed of dog. Stop anyone owning more than two dogs. I can probably think of quite a few more given a bit of time.

• Options

Bring back a self funding dog licence with wardens with power to confiscate dogs and fine owners on the spot. Make it law that all dogs should be kept on a lead in a public place. Have a genuine purge on dangerous breeds with huge fines and imprisonment for owning a dangerous breed of dog. Stop anyone owning more than two dogs. I can probably think of quite a few more given a bit of time.

Yup, agree with all of that - and I've got a dog.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Yup, agree with all of that - and I've got a dog.
    I've got a dog too.

• Options
    I'll go with most of that too...dog owner also.

• Options
    I like the theory, so lets put it into practice. Lets put a price on it................. Say £500 per dog to stop undisirables having dogs??
    That would cost me thats a £1000. I'd pay that, would you?
    Policing it??............ Microchip, with the licence attached could work??
    So you have a fella wandering around with a chip reader asking nicely if can check your dog with the central data base, in a simular style to the way the police check to see if you have a licence/insurance to drive a car and with all due respect we all know how well that works.
    People still have to obey the rules and all the while there's a dont give a feck attitude it will go on, I'm not sure I have an answer but all I can do is not put myself in that situation. I'll continue to train my dogs to the highest standard achievable and hope it becomes the norm with others although I doubt it.