Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yet another kid mauled by dog

Comments

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

uncle said:

JaShea99 said:

What even a poodle?

Would you want a poodle to snap at a babies face? Yeah even poodles. Or are you suggesting that only poodles be allowed? Be fun watching the police control a load of football hooligans with poodles. Maybe even going poodle racing and watch them chasing the hare.... Not really thought that out have you?

Not really thought what one out? You said all dogs can be vicious so not being an expert in the field, I asked 'even a poodle?'. A simple 'yes' would have sufficed.

Get rid of them all then.

Including guide dogs for the blind and the deaf?

• Options

JaShea99 said:

uncle said:

JaShea99 said:

What even a poodle?

Would you want a poodle to snap at a babies face? Yeah even poodles. Or are you suggesting that only poodles be allowed? Be fun watching the police control a load of football hooligans with poodles. Maybe even going poodle racing and watch them chasing the hare.... Not really thought that out have you?

Not really thought what one out? You said all dogs can be vicious so not being an expert in the field, I asked 'even a poodle?'. A simple 'yes' would have sufficed.

Including guide dogs for the blind and the deaf?

They have enough problems of their own. Attacks on guide dogs by other dogs has gone up from 3 a month to over 8 ! (guide dogs . org)
  • Options
    It seems the only viable option is a total massacre - decision now is means or method. I vote for drowning.
  • Options
    uncle said:

JaShea99 said:

uncle said:

JaShea99 said:

What even a poodle?

Guide dogs, Police dogs, Hearing dogs, Military dogs, Rescue dogs, Working sheep dogs?
    You can't have it both ways. If they're all dangerous then yeah, get rid of them all!

The fact that your dogs are being categorised by some on here (and I'm happy to admit that I wouldn't know the difference) as being those that would be included means that if you insist on using poodles as a way to keep yours then you just sign their death warrants at the same time.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

It seems the only viable option is a total massacre - decision now is means or method. I vote for drowning.

The economy needs a boost. Export to the Philipines.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

T.C.E said:

PL54 said:

Didn't NLA say on a previous post that he had a Staff that kept biting people ? Assuming NLA offered the animal an environment of care etc why would the animal do this ?

It is in their genes. If anyone seriously thinks their little pooch is totally harmless then I would say they are wrong. Owners can certainly bring out the worst in a dog as it is their natural instinct. They can try to bring out the best in a dog but they can not surpress DNA and that will overcome.

Biting to a dog is about as natural as us punching someone. They do it in play, frustration, defence, because unlike us they dont have hands.

Stopping a dog biting should start as a puppy, watch a puppy playing with their siblings evolves play biting it is trained out of them, that is not acceptable behaviour in our world. Do nothing and it while worsen, it is certainly possible although nothing is 100%
    You say its in their genes, Bailey obviously a German Shepherd Dog.
    The clue would be in the name, he's a Sheep dog. With Shep's they are also a loyal and intelligent breed who will with their lives defend their family. Bailey will defend me as owner, but its for me to tell when I need defending. Using that the wrong way, would be very wrong of me, thats not to say I havent when feeling threatened whispered a command to him that removed a threat.
    Suppressing the DNA in dogs, is why there are the good breeders out there. Unsurprisingly Bailey was bred for temperament. Breeders are looking as well as testing for health issues, temperament etc before putting dogs together, not just chucked in the kitchen for a quick bunk up ;)

DNA manipulation is a different debate. I think I heard or read something that King Charles spaniels are engineered to have small skulls as it looks pretty (how nice) but their brains don't know that so they become too big for the cavity and the dog dies.
    I believe that is correct, lots of breeds have been tampered with to get what we think is the correct look. When i say DNA muniplulation I mean that the plus points are bred into the dogs and minus points bred out. Not cosmetically, the pug for example breed to increase the folds in the skin, the German Shepherd to get the sloping back. All this tampering increased the problems those dogs already had, pugs with skin and Sheps with their hips. There are breeders out there that will breed their dogs with like minded breeders that will make the bloodlines stronger and no amount of money you offered would change their minds. If you approach them the first thing they would ask is, send your dogs paperwork along with recent medical checks its had and if that hasn't put you off the chances they would price you out of the conversation by asking ten grand because they are not interested. People that need to advertise stud dogs should be avoided at all costs. Find someone advertising a stud German shepherd, email and ask the dogs hip and elbow scores, I'll wager they won't answer.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Pop round, this I want to see.
    Bailey hates water.
    Oh and good luck ;)
  • Options
    I have bought a few King Cobras and Rattle snakes and was going to let them out in the local park.

They will likely go to ground and cause no harm but if they encouter people it could result in deaths and / or serious injury ? I have tried to tame them to an extent and they have never attacked me.

Does anyone mind ?
  • Options
    Maybe take a leaf out of the way things are done over here, whenever a bear gets too aggressive or unpredictable in its behaviour near humans - the wildlife officers will shoot it with small beanbags - it's called hazing, the bags sting like hell & the bear soon scarpers.

I would suggest the same for dangerous dogs in the UK, whenever a dangerous dog is out with a chav, the authorities should immediately haze the chav, beanbags are optional other forms of non-lethal ammunition could be used.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Maybe take a leaf out of the way things are done over here, whenever a bear gets too aggressive or unpredictable in its behaviour near humans - the wildlife officers will shoot it with small beanbags - it's called hazing, the bags sting like hell & the bear soon scarpers.

I would suggest the same for dangerous dogs in the UK, whenever a dangerous dog is out with a chav, the authorities should immediately haze the chav, beanbags are optional other forms of non-lethal ammunition could be used.

So are we all to be allowed (or even expected) to carry these bean bag guns when ever we leave the house?
    ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ,. - I won't lie I feel quite nervous round German shepherds had one bite me in Hastings for no reason years back
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    were you messing with his sheep?
  • Options
    nolly said:

,. - I won't lie I feel quite nervous round German shepherds had one bite me in Hastings for no reason years back

I'm cautious around smaller dogs Nolly as have only been bitten in temper by my sisters Bichon Freise about the size of Baileys head!
    Although Bailey has bitten me it was while training, so that dont really count.
    One thing I have learnt is to watch the body language of any dog especially one I dont know. Staring to a dog is fighting talk, but accompany looking a dog in the eye while approaching with confidence walking tall, chest out and the dog will be unsure. Never look at the dog first always the handler, talk to the handler first. Then offer the dog a clenched fist not an open palm and do not bend down make the dog come to you to say hi. One the tests given to Bailey was to get a stranger on their hands and knees and blow a raspberry in his face, if a dog is to challenge at all it when is got a chance and its best chance is when you the same size as him................
    (please dont try it, dogs are not comfortable with and you may get bitten especially if its not your dog)
    If a dog is going to possible challenge you (bite) its looking for weakness it will see you nervousness as weakness and challenge you. Not necessarily by biting once again it down to temperament, Bailey would challenge you to stroke him if you were nervous, his way of saying we've never met is flick your hand up with his nose staying stroke me I dont bite.
    Half hour in the pub with me, just chatting (No dog)
    I'll teach you the correct way to approach a dog, then I you want you can meet him, you buy the beers!
    Dont you Box??
    I'll buy the beers..............;)

• Options
    I don't have enough experience of Staffs and the like but the PBT in my story should be destroyed and the owner sent down.
    And if a dog of any breed shows significant aggression then it should wear a muzzle 24/7.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

I have bought a few King Cobras and Rattle snakes and was going to let them out in the local park.

They will likely go to ground and cause no harm but if they encouter people it could result in deaths and / or serious injury ? I have tried to tame them to an extent and they have never attacked me.

Does anyone mind ?

Not at all, have at it. It would be illegal of course. Unlike having a pitbull off the leash. Oddly enough.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

nolly said:

I'm cautious around smaller dogs Nolly as have only been bitten in temper by my sisters Bichon Freise about the size of Baileys head!
    Although Bailey has bitten me it was while training, so that dont really count.
    One thing I have learnt is to watch the body language of any dog especially one I dont know. Staring to a dog is fighting talk, but accompany looking a dog in the eye while approaching with confidence walking tall, chest out and the dog will be unsure. Never look at the dog first always the handler, talk to the handler first. Then offer the dog a clenched fist not an open palm and do not bend down make the dog come to you to say hi. One the tests given to Bailey was to get a stranger on their hands and knees and blow a raspberry in his face, if a dog is to challenge at all it when is got a chance and its best chance is when you the same size as him................
    (please dont try it, dogs are not comfortable with and you may get bitten especially if its not your dog)
    If a dog is going to possible challenge you (bite) its looking for weakness it will see you nervousness as weakness and challenge you. Not necessarily by biting once again it down to temperament, Bailey would challenge you to stroke him if you were nervous, his way of saying we've never met is flick your hand up with his nose staying stroke me I dont bite.
    Half hour in the pub with me, just chatting (No dog)
    I'll teach you the correct way to approach a dog, then I you want you can meet him, you buy the beers!
    Dont you Box??
    I'll buy the beers..............;)

Is it just me that is a little uncomfortable with there are so many rules that we have to follow to avoid having a dog bite us?

I know you're only offering advice TCE, but it's not al all surprising that people get bitten if dogs that need to be approached in the exact manner you describe are allowed to run about in public places.
  • Options
    I wouldnt call them rules exactly, but if Nolly wanted to address the issue then I would help in the way described. I wrote it down so everyone can see it as it may help someone else. He may choose to stay away from all dogs in future in which case that would be no use at all. But that is all would take to address the issue as well wanting to overcome it.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Cheers I may well take you up on the offer , my dad was bit by one in America so after my incident I probably stereotyped the breed , logically I know it's not the breed whatsoever at all , I used to be a bit wary of dobermans but know someone with one and realize how intelligent a dog they are
  • Options
    Not a dog lover. Used to get chased regularly as a kid by the lurcher that the dossers hanging round Deptford kept. However, its a bit rich to suggest that they should all be destroyed. Friends of mine have owned dogs that I've got to know over time - seems to me that larger dogs and mongrels have always appeared friendlier and more even tempered than the annoying little fuckers like yorkies. One of my best friends growing up had a staff - she was a lovely dog.

Can I put up a vote here for muzzling though? Simple fact of the matter is that if a dog is muzzled, its not going to rip you to bits, no matter how big it is. So how can anybody have any objection to this? You want to keep a dog, you muzzle it - simple.
  • Options
    I wouldnt have an issue with muzzling but most people take their dogs on 2 -3 hr walks not sure if you can muzzle a dog that long
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not a dog lover. Used to get chased regularly as a kid by the lurcher that the dossers hanging round Deptford kept. However, its a bit rich to suggest that they should all be destroyed. Friends of mine have owned dogs that I've got to know over time - seems to me that larger dogs and mongrels have always appeared friendlier and more even tempered than the annoying little fuckers like yorkies. One of my best friends growing up had a staff - she was a lovely dog.

Can I put up a vote here for muzzling though? Simple fact of the matter is that if a dog is muzzled, its not going to rip you to bits, no matter how big it is. So how can anybody have any objection to this? You want to keep a dog, you muzzle it - simple.

I would push it a bit further, all three levels gold/silver/bronze of the good citizen awards must be passed, then if you or the dog step out of line its back for retraining. A £250 Licence inserted onto the microchip puppies are Tattooed by breeders registered with the KC. This would be free to dogs taken from rescues which must be chipped at least possibly tattooed as well with a fee payable to the rescue set at £200. As for muzzling, I would be willing to muzzle my dog if it was the law. If not I would rather blame the deed and not the breed.

• Options
    Would the dog have a tattoo of it's shaven headed owner on it's leg?
  • Options
    On its back with the owners football team on its rear leg and mum and dad on the front paws
  • Options
    As a slight aside - does anyone think the 4 dogs involved in this particular attack should not have been killed ?

It is possible, without witness, that a certain dog or 2 didn't actually get involved. Should only the dog that inflicted the fatal wound be shot ?
  • Options
    Apparently four of the five dogs were uncontrollable when police arrived so of course they had to be killed and I take it the fifth dog was not killed because it was not with the pack
  • Options

uncle said:

JaShea99 said:

uncle said:

JaShea99 said:

What even a poodle?

Guide dogs, Police dogs, Hearing dogs, Military dogs, Rescue dogs, Working sheep dogs?
    You can't have it both ways. If they're all dangerous then yeah, get rid of them all!

The fact that your dogs are being categorised by some on here (and I'm happy to admit that I wouldn't know the difference) as being those that would be included means that if you insist on using poodles as a way to keep yours then you just sign their death warrants at the same time.
    Actually It wasn't me that brought up poodles, I think you will find that was JaShea99... But yes my dog is equally as violent as a poodle so get rid of every dog in the country.... Well done, problem solved.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

As a slight aside - does anyone think the 4 dogs involved in this particular attack should not have been killed ?

It is possible, without witness, that a certain dog or 2 didn't actually get involved. Should only the dog that inflicted the fatal wound be shot ?

You can't really tell which was the one who delivered the killing injury, and by all accounts all four of them were beyond control afterwards, so yes, they had to be killed. If you leave the one responsible alive by mistake, its possible it will attack again. But that's not the same thing as a dog who has shown no inclination or disposition to attack being killed simply due to breed.
  • Options
    uncle said:

uncle said:

JaShea99 said:

uncle said:

JaShea99 said:

What even a poodle?

Actually It wasn't me that brought up poodles, I think you will find that was JaShea99... But yes my dog is equally as violent as a poodle so get rid of every dog in the country.... Well done, problem solved.
    You know, I thought it would be a much harder sell than that. I'm glad you've come 'round.
  • Options
    I like dogs so I don't agree that they should all be put down. That would not be good. I do see some sense in requiring certain breeds to be muzzled when in public though.
  • Options

I agree with this, but unless you do 24 hour muzzling it wouldn't have saved that girl because she was attacked in the house. Also once again who would police it? Our officers are far to busy catching motorist for speeding to look for unmuzzled dogs, And we all know the only people who wont muzzle their dogs are the ones that need to.