Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Ambrose signs for Palace

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Rommedahl and Ambrose two players that offered lots of hope but failed to deliver. the difference between the two is that Rommedahl,never made the pretence that he cared, announcing his departure well before our relegation. Ambrose never reached his ability level, with the exception of a few games - Ipswich comes to mind, but he did appear to care and was willing to fight our cause to the end.

I disagree, they both suffered the same problem. Playing in a system that doesn't suit them, by managers who don't understand them.

Probably.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Rommedahl and Ambrose two players that offered lots of hope but failed to deliver. the difference between the two is that Rommedahl,never made the pretence that he cared, announcing his departure well before our relegation. Ambrose never reached his ability level, with the exception of a few games - Ipswich comes to mind, but he did appear to care and was willing to fight our cause to the end.

I disagree, they both suffered the same problem. Playing in a system that doesn't suit them, by managers who don't understand them.

Probably.

Blimey O'Reiley....are you serious?
  • Options
    Ironic really, given the flak he has taken for his supposed inability to handle "flair" players, that Curbs probably got more consistency out of both Ambrose and Rommedahl than any of his successors.
  • Options
    sounds a bit spurious Len - how many goals did Rommeflattertodeceivadahl score for us - 1?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]sounds a bit spurious Len - how many goals did Rommeflattertodeceivadahl score for us - 1?

Apart from THAT goal he scored one or two others away from The Valley.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing he was an unqualified success by any means but Curbs got a lot of criticism because somebody who looked excellent in a Denmark shirt looked ordinary or poor much of the time in a Charlton shirt.

My point is simply that other managers did no better with him which suggests that the fault is with the player rather than the manager in my view.
  • Options
    He scored at st james in a draw with newcastle and i think he got one other
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]I disagree, they both suffered the same problem. Playing in a system that doesn't suit them, by managers who don't understand them.

Probably.

Though neither were good enough players to have a team and system built around them.
  • Options
    rommedahl spent most of his charlton career in acres of space, with his arms in the air screaming for the ball to be switched to him. Most of our team were unable or unwilling to do so.
  • Options
    Now on the SLP site
    and This Is Croydon

Never thought he'd go there, I guess it makes sense for him though, he won't have to move.
  • Options
    he won't be missed (not by me anyway).....seems as if they've signed him on a 2 yr deal now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bye Darren -----------forgotten you already------- so little to remember .
  • Options
    first of many.

Will be interesting to see if Warnock can attach some balls to him.
  • Options
    Seems if Palace have signed a £1 million player for nothing.
    At least that's what he cost us.
  • Options
    Couldn't give a monkeys spunk bubble. Tata.
  • Options
    Can't say I'm not surprised. Probably a good buy considering Palace aren't splashing the cash. Plus I thought McCarthy was pretty awful for us, and for Palace he seems to have been one of there best players this season. A good man manager like Warnock might benefit Ambrose in the long run. But not at all surpised/sad to see him leave. Not the type of player we need for League 1.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Will be interesting to see if Warnock can attach some balls to him.

Warnock will be everything Ambrose needs from a manager, he will do very well.
  • Options
    Gutted he's going.

If only he was given a run of games, played in the right position etc etc

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sod off Darren eh.
  • Options
    not a done deal from what it says but won't be a surprise.

No doubt as soon as he scores a goal he will become a great player who various managers failed to motivate/coach correctly.

Shame we could off - load him for money but there you go.
  • Options
    he couldnt turn it on for Ipswich when he went back there. I thought he would. Something really wrong with his head----and his feet-- and his spine, other than that he was a £1million player.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]not a done deal from what it says but won't be a surprise.

No doubt as soon as he scores a goal he will become a great player who various managers failed to motivate/coach correctly.

After a great first half of the season at Palarse, he'll move to Tottingham for £10 million in January.
    And in the summer play for England on a tour of the USA or Lithuania or somewhere.

Darren Ambrose, England full international.

You heard it hear first.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe in Fifa on the Xbox yeah!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]not a done deal from what it says but won't be a surprise.

After a great first half of the season at Palarse, he'll move to Tottingham for £10 million in January.
    And in the summer play for England on a tour of the USA or Lithuania or somewhere.

Darren Ambrose, England full international.

You heard it hear first.

I'm with you oggy, although on the Palace site, everyone will be moaning at Tottingham stealing him for only £10 million, when we could have got £30 million when he became England captain.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    LOL, Budgie ....... don't forget to insert the sell-on clause, then.

Remember the only other club interested in him were Ipswich - who took a look at him, and sent him back.
    At Charlton, we don't do refunds.

But he always scores goals against Ipswich.
    So he'll earn you a few points.

And lose you a few when he's disposesssed in midfield, and opponents quickly score against the run of play.
  • Options
    how can he sign for Palarse, we havn't even released him yet, have we ? Or perhaps the powers than be can't be arsed to issue the retained/release list. What a joke we are becoming.
  • Options
    It's normal practice for players coming towards the end of their contract to sign at the very least a 'pre-contract agreement', and thet are permitted by the authorities to do so from the previous January onwards.

And it works both ways. That's how we signed Mark Hudson in May last year.
    He was also out of contract at the time, remember.

So Ambrose negotiating with Palace is perfectly in order, and no doubt done with the club's blessing.
    It's not that he's ever going to play for us again, is it .... ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]how can he sign for Palarse, we havn't even released him yet, have we ? Or perhaps the powers than be can't be arsed to issue the retained/release list. What a joke we are becoming.

I believe players who have a month remaining on their contract can be offered a contract by other teams from the same country - if that team is abroad it's as much as 6 months (eg. Olof Melberg agreed to join Juve in January last year, even though his contract didn't expire til June 30th). I think it's part of the Bosman.

I must admit I am mainly basing this on Football Manager.
  • Options
    Darren who ?
  • Options
    Yeah there's nothing unusual going on.

Players don't actually get released when their club announces it, they become free agents on 1st July after their contract expires on 1st June.

Hudson officially became our player 1st July, not 23rd May or whenever it was we announced he had signed. He had agreed to sign for us, and I assume he probably had a medical etc by then, but his contract didn't start until July.

We never announced Ben Thatcher had left the club last summer until much later on. They didn't say Dorian Smith and Paulo Monteiro wouldn't get new contracts until much later than we said we had released other players.

This isn't any different than any other season. If you looked over our news from each summer, we've never put up a 'retained and released list'. Other clubs do, but we've never done it in one go like that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]It's normal practice for players coming towards the end of their contract to sign at the very least a 'pre-contract agreement', and thet are permitted by the authorities to do so from the previous January onwards.

So Ambrose negotiating with Palace is perfectly in order, and no doubt done with the club's blessing.

If that were in response to me then I know all that Oggy. All I was trying to say was it would be nice to hear first from our end that he had actually been released instead of reading elsewhere that he had signed for an other. Also, not all of our fans are slaves to the internet and not as up to date as us as to who is actually out of contract/released etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]It's normal practice for players coming towards the end of their contract to sign at the very least a 'pre-contract agreement', and thet are permitted by the authorities to do so from the previous January onwards.

If that were in response to me then I know all that Oggy. All I was trying to say was it would be nice to hear first from our end that he had actually been released instead of reading elsewhere that he had signed for an other. Also, not all of our fans are slaves to the internet and not as up to date as us as to who is actually out of contract/released etc.

Large...does it really matter mate?